Refugees.

:nono: I totally disagree with BCLG100

I am sure that there have been cases where one team has had a period of friendship and even formal allianaces with another and that during that process information has been exchanged.

I am sure that in most cases this information (which was freely or inadvertantly given) and was relayed under the impression that it would be kept in confidence for the duration of the game ...

I would go on to suggest that if players were aware from the geginning that the defunct forum would be open and that refugees were then freely able to 'visit' and sift through archives ... then information exchange would have been totally different from the beginning.

I therefore request that all possible avenues are explored to 'lock' the forums ...

:hmm: surely if a player is assigned another team, then they automatically lose access to their original forum ... is it not possible to just reassign a player to another team and to revoke their 'membership' to the previous team ???
I recall this has been done when players have been 'removed' from the game for various mod/admin reasons.

Those that do not want to continue are just dropped from the game ... ie. they lose their original classification ... and can revisit the entire game when all forums are opened to the public?

Save 'memory lane' for when the game has reached its conclusion :yup:
... then we all meet in the UN and reminisce about good play and strategies and above all the fun we have all shared :beer:

I was just thinking for eases sake, any information they could pass along will be antiquated really.

Personally, I like the whole angel idea. That way, if one is eliminated, they could look at all the team forums and follow the game, while talking with their old team back in their old team forum about the current events in the game.

That's interesting, but can you trust everyone? I mean, currently, no one can view all the forums except RMx2, myself, and the mods - opening it up to people that have just finished the game who still have an interest and personal feelings (probably) about the outcome of the game could be...troublesome, potentially. The only way I see this happening is if the new 'members' can't post in the new teams' forums, no new members can join the eliminated teams...still, it's a stretch. It's probably the most interesting though. It seems that it'd be sort of unfair to the people still playing because you get to read all the forums while they are stuck with just theirs. ;)

I say let the refugees go wherever they may. Tell their tales, give their impressions of other teams/players. Their info and experience will make them highly sought after and popular ensuring that they quickly assimilate to idiocy, I mean the culture of their new team.

Besides, the existing teams will have the failsafe of refusing unsavory or suspicious refugees.

I don't like the angel thing. And that cuts against my natural grain :mischief:

Nobody said:
Whats wrong with Once a team loses, its players are out of the game?

to begin with teams might benefeit from the extra participation but also because maybe they want to see how the game turns out.

Nobody said:
Whats wrong with Once a team loses, its players are out of the game?

Personally I'd prefer that ex-Team RIP members have the opportunity to continue with the game. i know from my point of view I have made some ... ummm ... 'real virtual' friends through the team dynamic and would like the opportunity to meet others.

BCLG100 makes a good point ... the more active members a team has is directly proportional to the fun and gaming experience.

Also it would be unfair and cruel for a 'serious' player being suddenly cut off from their gaming fix ... I know I'd have to enter some expesive therapy session if I was unable to either play or discuss the game while it was still going on.

I don't like the Angel idea because it is too susceptible to accidental or deliberate information leakage.

So regarding refugees, isn't it possible for ex-team RIPers to lose their citizenship and be granted another ... isn't that a simple way of locking the old forum until all are opened after the game ends ???

fe3333au said:
So regarding refugees, isn't it possible for ex-team RIPers to lose their citizenship and be granted another ... isn't that a simple way of locking the old forum until all are opened after the game ends ???

since it doesn't look like we're going with the Angel idea, i think this should be how refugees are handled.

I'm confused. Once a player's team is eliminated and he 'emigrates' to another team doesn't his 'citizenship' change therefore his access to the old forum go away?

I say we just allow refugee's to join any team they want to (as long as that team is willing to take them). Let any information they have go with them to the new team, it makes it more realistic. IE: The "looting" of diplomatic/domestic documents and real "refugee's" who escape to a ally.

i dont mind not being able to see the old forums but it would just make things more difficult if we had to get TF to lock/close the forum.

IIRC, navigation is the trade maps tech?

when a vanquished civ falls, it would be expected that the conquerers would have access to their government buildings and papers.

the conquerors should have access to the defeated civ's forums.

let the refugees do as they will

@ Igor ... Not if all the papers were shredded and burnt first :p

But seriously your scenario would then defeat the purpose of having all forums opened at the end of the game ... and would also open up the concept of 'censoring' or deleting entire threads by the defeated ... and maybe even replacing files.

I'd prefer to see all unflattering names that KISS have called MIA, rather than to miss out on that fun matey ;)

Wading through threads after the game will be a riot of fun ... one which will genearate much UN discussion and result in much mirth and congratulations on good play.

It is unrealistic to think that a refugee, upon joining a new team, will not be swayed by experience and knowledge resulting from participation up to that point. Censorship along those lines is unattainable. While ratifying the ruleset, I didn't really think it likely that there would be refugees, (I had no idea the game would last with such vitatlity!), and so I didn't really think too hard about the clause in the ruleset. But realistically, that clause is unworkable, and I'd vote for it's elimination.

If the refugee moves to another country, they obviously should not be allowed to post in their native forum. That 'country' doesn't exists anymore. As for the Angel Hypothesis, I'm not against it. Angels should be able to haunt the empty halls and graves of their former physical realm. But that would necessitate any living refugees to cast off their Group Membership to the dead team, and therefore lose access to their old forum.

I think that's a fair compromise. There is no need to restrict a player from lurking, if they are dead; and there is no need to restrict a player from being born again, on a new team. Group Membership adjustments seem to be the easiest way of controlling refugee privileges.

I just want the refugees to understand that we don't hold with voting and such.

I also don't want the top secret battle plans passed on out of spite.

OT-here's a shout of single malt to irongold

hey, i'm an idiot. I need things simple. so I like to restate what has been said.

If PG is proposing that the refugees may lurk their old threads, ok. I also agree they shouldn't be able to post.

My concern is that certain elements will share our plans with the other teams. How does one address the wolf in sheep's clothing?

Top Bottom