Religion makes easy diplomacy a drag.

Undertaker798

I studied on killin' you!
Has anyone noticed but unless you have the same religion as a civ, its almost impossible to make friends!

I'm not complaining too much but i get too many civs demanding i change my religion to suit their needs.

elderotter said:
changing religions doesnt always help make them friendly. Free religion does make that go away tho.

Ill try that, if it doesn't work, them Greeks will have to live with it!

Undertaker798 said:
Has anyone noticed but unless you have the same religion as a civ, its almost impossible to make friends!

I'm not complaining too much but i get too many civs demanding i change my religion to suit their needs.

Isn't it though? even in real life? (Israel - Palestine Hint hint) That's what i like about this game so much more than the civs that came before it.

If you are a good friend to them you will be able to be friends with a civ which is a different religion. They just wont trust you much at first (As in real life) and you will have to give them a lot of gifts, trade ect to prove you are good to them.

If you are nearby and your borders are pushing into their territory ect it usually means a fight. Again like real life, they are a different religion so dislike your culture.

Its not a bad civ simulator!!

This is why it's important not just to found a religion, but make an active attempt to sway people to your religion. You don't want to be the 'odd man out'. You have to use missionaries. You can't just 'found and forget'.

This is also a balancing factor for those who avoid founding their own religion and pursue other techs. I go through many games waiting for the AI to tell me what religion to go to -- and I go with whatever tends to have the most presence, and the most powerful followers.

I like this feature too. As someone said Religious differences cease to be a problem if you switch to the Freedom of Religion Civic, but that doesn't come until later in the game. However it is definitely possible to make good friends with someone with a different religion even without using that civic. I had Hinduism as my state religion and Mansu Musa had buddhism - and despite that and the fact that we shared a border we never got into a war and he stayed "pleased" with me the whole game. It think it helped that we got into a war together with Isabella. Also we traded pretty heavily for most of the game. Remember even if you have a -4 for "heathen religion" your total relationship can easily be in the positive if you do other friendly things.

Yeah I've seen both..... I had a freaking +6 religious modifier b/c i had the holy city of my neighbor's religion, and even after I DECLARED WAR on him and took half his cities and then had to make peace, he was back to "Pleased" within a few turns!

It seems different leaders respond differently to religious differences. Ghandi was pleased with me dispite us not having the same religion, yet Isabella always gets annoyed when I choose a religion different then hers, and seems to stay that way.

Some times i wonder what the AI's priority is. Give them some ****ing rare tech or something and its juz +1 "for helping us". Helping them in war +1 "Our mutual struggle has brought us closer"

But oh man, same religion can stack upto +8 or more. Also, -5 "you have fallen under a heathen religion" and -1 "You nuked the **** out of us"

in my opinion this makes me wodner that the worst thing you can do is use a diff religion, and the least hated things are about nuking them.

Well religions are that new part of the game that we will have to be used to it, but religions are not decisisive momement in the game, you cal always switch to a different religion if it is suitable.

It's not about the worst thing you can do. It's about what's going to make someone want to go to war with you.

Sure, a nuclear bomb is more damaging than religious difference. (Religious difference is technically harmless.) But someone with nukes is also going to instill fear. In other words, it's not smart to hate someone who can nuke you THAT much.

The game is well designed. Trust me, it would be really lame if the AI would rush to war with someone who has the power to destroy them.

If you are far enough away, you have a better chance because 1) you don't have closer border tensions and 2) 'all our years of peace' is easier.

If they are annoyed when you first meet them, give them a tech for free. They will usually turn cautious, at which point you can secure an open borders agreement and send your missionaries in, as well as start getting diplo bonuses for trade.

It appears as though spiritual civs are more 'serious' about religious differences than civ with other traits-which kinda makes sense. Truth is, though, that I get along well enough with civs with whom I share no common religion at all-just butter them up with a few gifts, that will sometimes help ;)!

Yours,
Aussie_Lurker.

Do the religious civics I have and the AI has make any difference? That is, if I'm Hindu and the A.I. is Jewish, is the penalty going to be different if we're both theocracies versus if we're both pacifists?

Top Bottom