Religious Espionage?

aaronflavor

Warlord
For some reason, in my recent current games, I am unable to see into the cities of other players when they have religions that I have the holy city and shrine for. This used to happen to me all the time.

Did something change here in a patch? Is there some other technicality that I am mysteriously forgetting?

Seems like a lot of people misunderstand this one.

The Shrine pays you income based upon the numbers of cities existing that have that faith in them.

Religious line of sight has nothing to do with the Shrine.

Religious LOS is entirely down to being the founder of the religion, and having it as your state religion.

Thus, you can found all religions, but you will only see into neighbours cities which have your STATE religion in them.

Spearthrower said:
Thus, you can found all religions, but you will only see into neighbours cities which have your STATE religion in them.
That's what I've been doing wrong... bummer!

One upside is if you are a Spiritual civ and found a lot of religions, you can switch religions every x turns, depending on the game speed, with no anarchy period. This can grab the other civs maps before you get paper! Not a good idea if you aren't spiritual though! :)

Spearthrower said:
Religious LOS is entirely down to being the founder of the religion, and having it as your state religion.

You don't need to found the religion, you just have to control the city in which the shrine has been built (and have it as your state religion). For instance, you can take the Buddhist Holy City from Isabella and if Buddhism is your state religion, then you can see all cities that have a Buddhist presence, assuming somebody has previously built the The Mahabodhi.

You don't need the shrine at all. You need control of the holy City.

Whoever controls the holy city of X religion will have LoS to any city that has the religion, regardless if there was a shrine built in it or not.

salty said:
You don't need to found the religion, you just have to control the city in which the shrine has been built (and have it as your state religion). For instance, you can take the Buddhist Holy City from Isabella and if Buddhism is your state religion, then you can see all cities that have a Buddhist presence, assuming somebody has previously built the The Mahabodhi.

Shrine has *nothing* to do with line of sight.

You simply need to control the Holy City (shrine built or not) and have that religion as your state religion.

So you can be Hindu and if you go to war and take over the Hindu holy city then you'll get line of sight just as if you have founded the religion yourself. Doesn't matter if the shrine is built or not and if not now you can build it and get the moola for it. ;)

That also works for the Spiral Minaret- it gets income on STATE religion buildings.... as I read last night a mere 50 odd turns after shifting to Free Religion... & whinging on about the bug & why I was getting no money from it... ;)

Yes you guys are right, you don't need to have the shrine in the holy city, just the holy city (and have the appropriate religion as your state religion) to see cities with that religion.

salty said:

If I take over a Holy City, I become the de facto founder of that religion, so the point is moot really! :ninja:

Top Bottom