Remnants of patria

I never thought of overlapping cities to gain the Remnant bonus in both, pretty clever.

So, for instance, a city starts near some corn and the remnants, both on grassland.

Starting turn 9, the city is size two, and has a production of 4, working just the corn and the remnants. The best it could do otherwise would be something like 2... 3 if you work a forest plains and slowed your growth.

Yep but you have to have it in your capital's big fat, and I've yet to see it happen so it's not that common. You can be lucky enough to get it, as well as popping ancient chants and education from 2 huts...

You've never had Remnants in your capital cross? Also, you do realize that Remnants gives a bonus to production even before you research education... right?

nope, never had. And I almost always play MP (with my wife) and she never had Remnants in her capitals. I think I remember ONE occurance ever of the Remnants being in the capital of an AI once...
Yes I do realize it gives a +3 prod bonus, but I also realize that +3 happiness is a *much* bigger bonus and that a good start + luck in general (as it is luck to have Remnants in the capital's range) can easily counterbalance the mere +3 prod bonus (+ its subsequent bonuses, one of which in a very low priority tech), and therefore reiterate for the last time that although Remnants are a damn good improvement, they are far from being a "I win" weapon; but then again I understand that overstatements and exaggerations are more popular than plain old objectivity these days.

Well, you disagree in theory, whereas I think the people here on the 'I win' side are those who've actually, y'know, had experience.

And while the comment of "I win" is no doubt bombastic in nature, I think in this case it is actually very applicable. It requires some impressive mismanagement to lose a game where you have the remnants in your borders.

I questioned you about the base yeild of the remnants simply because you made it sound from your previous post that you'd need to hut education in order for it to be meaningful.

what I meant in that post is that popping 2 techs like Ancient Chants and Education (the fact that Education grants a bonus to Remnants is a coincidence) from huts is also a big luck element which creates some sort of unbalance -yet not a "I win" one. I consider Remnants the same and I definitely speak in practice and not in theory, since I have yet to start a game with Remnants in the capital range... and I have started a lot.

Mm, this is rather diverting, but 'in practice' in the current context would mean that you'd played with the Remnants of Patria in your Cross, and are basing opinions off of results. 'in theory' would be that you are simply analyzing how the effects should work out if it ever happened. See how that puts you in the theoretical realm? The question wasn't whether or not they appear in the Cross often, which you are obviously a perfectly fine judge of.

honestly, if it troubles you that much just go up a difficulty level. then you'll be grateful you have it. but for MP, if you feel its too unbalancing, just turn it off.

i thought you needed education, feudalism and acquire remnants of patria is a victory condition :p

Top Bottom