Renaming Cities

Daedalus412

Chieftain
One of the things that always bothered me while playing Civ games is that whenever you capture an opponent's city, it retains the original name unless you manually rename it yourself.

Unless I'm missing some feature, why don't civ games allow you the option to rename a captured city by picking a city name from your civ? That way you have the option to have all of your cities with your nation's 'flavor.' For example, if I'm playing Russia and I'm capturing cities, I can give those cities Russian names (after all, they are my cities now).

I realize that you could type in a new name, but unless you have a list of every civ's city names, that's not a practical option.

Does anyone know a way or a mod that allows this?

You can always go to Wikipedia see famous cities from whoever country you are

I could do that, but it doesn't really address the point of my post which is, why isn't there an option in-game that allows the player to select a name for a captured (or even a new) city.

Going online a getting a list of cities and then typing them in seems rather tedious (and breaks the flow when you're on the warpath) in comparison to what should have been a simple inclusion since the beginning.

press on the city, and bottom right corner of the name of the city, its written edit. press edit and there u can change the name of the city

On a similar note, way back in the day, when you founded a city and gave it a non-default name, the game would still recommend a new name for the next city you founded. My friends and I got in the habit of naming our cities silly puns based on the sound of the 'real' city name. Civ IV, I think it was, started offering you the same name over and over if you didn't use it. It's a silly thing, but I was really, really disappointed to see that Civ V used the same 'first unused' name selection scheme, rather than 'next in sequence.'

Ah, gone are the days of Taco Plan. :(

I like to give my conquered cities derogatory names, so the punks that live there know what I think of them.

EDIT: I guess it would be a cool feature to let it auto-assign the next name for your civ, but it's not something I'd probably ever use.

Maybe to take the names on a papre and read them forth and write. the towns would not silly haha :D

well, rfc for civ4 renames a lot of cities, which was a pretty nice feature, but what you're suggesting would probably get annoying pretty quickly. just rename every city to have "poop" in its name.

Top Bottom