Request for a Civ4: BtS "Intermediate" Succession Game

Actually, I thought you did alright on the first run. You had a similar setting to me, and similar techs and stuff, but oneself is one's best critic. At first, the competitive nature in me thought "that's not fair", because you've had a second chance which neither of us had. But, my more thoughtful side realised that if you could achieve better in your second run, then that means more learning and discussion for us all! Also, I see you have had to make some compromises in your second game to get what you wanted (not as many workers, for example). Anyway, I think it fair that if we include your second try, we also include your first, since they actually follow different strategies, and I'm not yet convinced that your first try was that bad ;).

Thx for the kind words, and thx to Pawelo also for understanding.

You're right I wasn't all that unhappy with the 'first' try, except for the careless mistake of placing the ClamFish City one tile off, ruining it's access to the Fish! :blush:

I wanted to go back and fix just that, keep everything else the same, but you know how it is, once you sit down and play it careful you never make the exact same moves. This time I even chopped 2 Granaries, because I noticed they were at a perfect position in terms of build queue, population and growth.
My learning experience from the initial discussions made me aware that most of you whip a lot more than I usually do. So I did go about freshen up on that aspect, read Blake's great article on Apolyton ad couldn't ignore this when making this 2nd move.

Again, this shows me this game is already paying off for me in terms of learning about other strategies and picking up on stuff I ignored so far.
:goodjob:

Well, this is the set date for continuing the discussion, and I have PMed frob to warn him that the discussion has started (and also to get his save in when he can).

So, there's a lot to talk about.

Here's a couple of topics we should cover before going to the next round, which will hopefully be this week (I'm thinking Friday for round 3, but we'll see). There's probably more...

1. City placement for cities 3 & 4
2. Technology choices
3. How to go about a war with China

Hey! :goodjob: everyone for having finished. Some nicegames to comment :king:

You're right, these are nice topics to cover. Though I haven't much time today ( more to come tomorrow morning - GMT time :)), there are two topics I would like to get going :

1/ Clam/Fish/Copper or Floodplains as third city ?
I went for the first one, and I think I was right. Early ressource = early army pumping, clam worked early = happy :whipped:
Floodplains will surely be useful for cottages but having as objective early China invasion, I went for our fisherman's paradise first.

2/ China, now or later ?
NOW! They are weak and vulnerable, and we have iron, bronze and 3-4 coastal cities with high whip/prod potential! With our limited space, we don't have time to waste while waiting!

I'd like to hear what are your opinions on those two :D
See you soon :scan:

Sorry I'm late! Just played my turns.
Thanks frob! Now, let the discussion begin :D.

So, 5 cities frob? That's good. As long as your economy isn't suffering too much...I will look at your game soon.

I agree with what Lee is saying about the Moai Statues - I am going to build them in ClamFish, since there is little land there, but they will turn it into an amazing city once built.

Hey - seems we are all online - go to the irc chat mentioned in the first post for a live chat! I'll be there...

EDIT: Well, it was a great chance, but I should have forewarned you all first...

So, 5 cities frob? That's good. As long as your economy isn't suffering too much...I will look at your game soon.

I agree with what Lee is saying about the Moai Statues - I am going to build them in ClamFish, since there is little land there, but they will turn it into an amazing city once built.

My economy isn't the greatest right now, but that doesn't matter. With all the workers and cities I've got up it will start accelerating rapidly due to cottage spamming.

I'm thinking the Monarch/Mathematics combo is what will make our empire great (health+happiness from Gardens and happiness from Hed.Rule). Once we send out galleys and find the other Civs we should be raking in mass :commerce: from trade routes due to the size of our cities.

I agree with Moai Statues in ClamFish. It has enough food to work all the water so that will give it a bunch of production. However the statues cannot be built at the cost of :gp:. We have to concentrate in getting as many GP as possible from ClamFish until we start our second GP farm (Beijing if it's near all the clam.. or some mass forested area on another island for National Parks).

I've also been playing som BtS games of my own as Ethiopia, to test out all the new features, and I must say, invasions are tougher now! The Prince AI has decent stacks and whips aggressively to defend itself. So we have to think carefully about what our goals with invading China are (I'm not saying we shouldn't, I'm just saying it will be much tougher than in Warlords).

Well, what times suit you all for an IRC chat concerning our game? Try and state them in GMT please :). I shall make a date for an IRC chat this week, even this evening if anyone is ready.

I agree with Moai Statues in ClamFish. It has enough food to work all the water so that will give it a bunch of production. However the statues cannot be built at the cost of :gp:. We have to concentrate in getting as many GP as possible from ClamFish until we start our second GP farm (Beijing if it's near all the clam.. or some mass forested area on another island for National Parks).

I think we can whip the Statues now and then move to Great People. We have a happy cap at the moment, with no luxuries and no Monarchy/Math yet. Also, until we research Code of Laws (Caste System), we can run at most one scientist if we build a Library...

Well, what times suit you all for an IRC chat concerning our game? Try and state them in GMT please :). I shall make a date for an IRC chat this week, even this evening if anyone is ready.

Are you in GMT? There may be a problem with that. I would only be available later at night on the Canadian east coast (GMT -5). So about 10PM here would make it the wee hours of the night in GMT...

Spoiler Turn ~80 Stats :

I haven't bothered highlighting as much now, as it becomes more subjective..

Added frob's and Putchuco's 2nd go (the latter is included in averages but not included in highlighting).

I'm in GMT but timeshifted such that I'm currently getting up at 1300 and going to sleep some time between 0400 and 0900. So Canadian evening is fine by me... ;)

Minor Request: Can we leave city names as they are? The strategy layer can be used to Sign cities as whatever.

I think we can whip the Statues now and then move to Great People. We have a happy cap at the moment, with no luxuries and no Monarchy/Math yet. Also, until we research Code of Laws (Caste System), we can run at most one scientist if we build a Library...
Those statues are certainly worth building, so no arguments with that. The library gives 2 scientists, though, not one. Of course it's not our #1 priority to get scientists running ASAP (it would be if we were philosophical)

Library allows two scientists of course, my mistake. Maybe it's one in RFC, which is why I thought so...

I noticed frob did not research Archery which, in retrospect, was probably a good idea. Of course, when I did, I thought that Bowmen would get the free Combat promotion for Aggressive leader, but I was wrong.

Hey - seems we are all online - go to the irc chat mentioned in the first post for a live chat! I'll be there...

I can't do an IRC chat in the middle of the day unless it's a weekend. I know it says I'm online a lot, but having a browser open to CFC at work is very different than being on IRC. ;)

I noticed frob did not research Archery which, in retrospect, was probably a good idea. Of course, when I did, I thought that Bowmen would get the free Combat promotion for Aggressive leader, but I was wrong.
As soon as we had copper in Green city to the SE, I started thinking archery was a waste. And, yup, the lack of aggressive bonus for archery units put it even further down on my list.. A protective babylonian leader would be pretty cool. (Of course Pro/Cha like churchill would be awesome :))

Still, no harm, we still might be able to use bowmen in the war against China. Although it will be a push to get it rolling before 400-500 AD.

Yeah, maybe archery isn't needed just yet. I find archers a good defense against barbarians though, I am used to building them to send with a settler.

So, what about your city placement? I built Floodplain city first, since it was the nearest (I have a habit of expanding radially), and it is nice to get those cottages built and give them time to mature. ClamFish is an important city though. I also felt that since Floodplain city would take a little more time to mature and grow than ClamFish, it was important to give it a head start.

As for Sheep City, with the iron now, it is going to be a very useful city. However, Zetetic Apparat, I don't see why it was important to build there so soon. It seems the large maintenance costs incurred from the sheer distance to the capital have left your economy in ruins for the moment. Not to say that won't heal in the future, but I think your civ won't be quite the same. It might have been better to wait until some more cottages were built just to get extra commerce. Also, knowing now where the iron is, I think you'll agree you could place it better next time! ;)

As for city placement, seems most of us placed Floodplains city in the same place, except for Lee, whom I can see built where he did to maximise the area of workable land (so greater production) at the expense of losing a coastal city. This does make better use of the land though.

With ClamFish, most players built it 1 square east to the placement shown on the dotmaps. This made sense, because the copper could be used before a monument was built (and actually it helps to build the monument quicker). I think Putchuco really made a mistake when he built ClamFish in a location to include the spice in the city radii - he forgot about the fish!! In his second go he placed it correctly though, and I now agree with you, Putchuco, that your first go was only ruined by that single mistake - otherwise you did well.

frob has already built Copper City, which is great. Though I haven't yet looked at his save (am going to though...) I am doubtful about his defence - only 3 warriors divided between 5 cities ?! I'd be worried about Barbarians...at least 1 warrior per city would be comforting! Anyway, back to Copper City, it is also my thinking that it would be the most suitable 5th city.

As for city placement, seems most of us placed Floodplains city in the same place, except for Lee, whom I can see built where he did to maximise the area of workable land (so greater production) at the expense of losing a coastal city. This does make better use of the land though.
That's where I had planted my second city in the 40 turn save. I think I would have put floodplain city there this time also, but I didn't want too since everyone was against that placement. To be honest I think both placements are equally good, but the coastal one will be better if we get the Great Lighthouse and hereditary rule (large size + extra trade route = lots of trade :commerce:)

frob has already built Copper City, which is great. Though I haven't yet looked at his save (am going to though...) I am doubtful about his defence - only 3 warriors divided between 5 cities ?! I'd be worried about Barbarians...at least 1 warrior per city would be comforting! Anyway, back to Copper City, it is also my thinking that it would be the most suitable 5th city.
I have sailing and copper hooked up in green city -> copper in all cities. I also have a big whip. I doubt barbarians will be a problem ;)

[EDIT] I'm not at my Civ computer, so could someone check in my save if the Great Lighthouse has been built by an AI. I don't think it has, but it's bugging me. If it hasn't then chopping it in Babylon is an extremely strong move.

frob2900 said:
[EDIT] I'm not at my Civ computer, so could someone check in my save if the Great Lighthouse has been built by an AI. I don't think it has, but it's bugging me. If it hasn't then chopping it in Babylon is an extremely strong move.

I have checked, and no, it hasn't been built yet. Only stonehenge and the Great Wall have ben built

Some sparse thoughts about our games :

Regarding city, I still think it was a good idea to build clam/fish/copper first. Though, I'm impressed with frob's game - he has already managed to put five ( incl. Green City ) - and stay head above the water with research costs.

I go along with Jamesds point of view - we should definitely settle the next one in the Sheep spot. However, I'm not sure about whether we can manage the maintanance due to distance and to the fact that it will be 5th or 6th city.

As for cities, I'm generally impressed with your games and how you managed to get your cities grow and flowerish whille :whipped:. Mine got pretty much of the latter and look pitifully compared to yours. I think, the only advantage of my strategy ( which was China asap ), is to have two galleys and a nice whipping/chopping potential in barracked cities with copper ( all cities networked ).

I agree with frob - whip & copper is a great life insurance policy against barbs :cool:

Regarding China, I think frob's right when speaking about invasions getting tougher in BtS. I had the same impression in my Ethiopia game on prince. I've won through space, but the roman close neighbour had managed some nice praetorian surprises before I managed longbows. For two of my cities it was a very close call. By the time I was able to get to my other neighbour, I discovered Charlemagne's HRE pretty well defended, so I went peacefully acquiring only some cities through culture ( what a cultural warmongers these Ethiopians :crazyeye: ).
So, as for China, it is interesting to get those Cats and striking hard like first planned. An early invasion would surely work in Warlords, but here we can't be sure. However, I'm tempted to do it anyway in a shadow try :devil: ;)

If we delay China, then GLight ( Babylon ) and Moai ( clam/fish/copper ) should be in our objectives.

I like the two ways that our games went : beelining for math/monarchy and beelining for IW. Time will tell which one was better, but in regard to our particular situation I might be inclined to think that the first one is better ( though I followed the 2nd one - SP game habit :blush: ).

Well, a last thought, as for now : too bad that Putchuco's 2nd try isn't in our possible choices. This Stonehenge built @ Babylon is :goodjob:.

PS. I can't IRC neither, at least not during the week. Same reasons as Lee - difficult to make yourself convincing about the professionnal use of IRC at work :D

Some sparse thoughts about our games :

Regarding city, I still think it was a good idea to build clam/fish/copper first. Though, I'm impressed with frob's game - he has already managed to put five ( incl. Green City ) - and stay head above the water with research costs.

Yes, those cities are the nearest and most valuable cities in the game at this time. And I'm also impressed with frob's 5 cities. However, in his game to keep 'head above water' research had to be lowered a level, to 18 :science: per turn - the same as my game and Lee's game (although Lee also has -1 :gold:/turn). But I guess the only good that :gold: serves at this point in the game is to allow high research rates to continue while the reserves are exhausted. I accidentally brought myself to 0 :gold: in my game, which I don't like - what if a random event struck...:(

I go along with Jamesds point of view - we should definitely settle the next one in the Sheep spot. However, I'm not sure about whether we can manage the maintanance due to distance and to the fact that it will be 5th or 6th city.

Well, my view was not necessarily that Sheep City should be settled next, I was thinking about building it after Green City - which frob has just built. This will give it a chance to become a very useful and productive city while we continue building the others. The maintenance won't be so great at the start, but in time it will pay for itself. Anyway, we've got some nice cottages/hamlets (nearly villages) in our games, so they will pay for this increased cost. It would be nice to get Code of Laws to build courthouses sometime soon, but that isn't a priority at the moment ;).

As for cities, I'm generally impressed with your games and how you managed to get your cities grow and flowerish whille :whipped:. Mine got pretty much of the latter and look pitifully compared to yours. I think, the only advantage of my strategy ( which was China asap ), is to have two galleys and a nice whipping/chopping potential in barracked cities with copper ( all cities networked ).

I actually didn't whip at all - it isn't something I do in my games, I never thought the :) would balance out the :mad: from the whips, so I will use it, but only sparingly - I don't like to see my nice big cities be diminished after all the time it took them to grow. We'll see whose strategy works ;) - mine with sparing whips, yours with aggressive whipping!

I agree with frob - whip & copper is a great life insurance policy against barbs :cool:

Regarding China, I think frob's right when speaking about invasions getting tougher in BtS. I had the same impression in my Ethiopia game on prince. I've won through space, but the roman close neighbour had managed some nice praetorian surprises before I managed longbows. For two of my cities it was a very close call. By the time I was able to get to my other neighbour, I discovered Charlemagne's HRE pretty well defended, so I went peacefully acquiring only some cities through culture ( what a cultural warmongers these Ethiopians :crazyeye: ).

Yeah, this war has to be planned and thought out before we attempt it. And, what is really needed is some scouts, or boats to scout out their land, just to get an idea in what we are letting ourselves into, and whether it will actually work.

So, as for China, it is interesting to get those Cats and striking hard like first planned. An early invasion would surely work in Warlords, but here we can't be sure. However, I'm tempted to do it anyway in a shadow try :devil: ;)

If we delay China, then GLight ( Babylon ) and Moai ( clam/fish/copper ) should be in our objectives.

Yep, actually, I think the Moai Statues in ClamFish are an immediate priority, since they would increase our military unit production! It depends how long they would take. That's the one case where whipping might be useful, and actually needed.

I like the two ways that our games went : beelining for math/monarchy and beelining for IW. Time will tell which one was better, but in regard to our particular situation I might be inclined to think that the first one is better ( though I followed the 2nd one - SP game habit :blush: ).

Yeah, I like to know where my Iron is, and be able to use it - Akkad is going to be connected soon, and following that a great production bonus for it. Also, cities with nothing to do can always just build a sword or two to keep occupied...

Well, a last thought, as for now : too bad that Putchuco's 2nd try isn't in our possible choices. This Stonehenge built @ Babylon is :goodjob:.

It is great, and we might use Putchuco's save if we all agree. Look at it this way - as I said before, this isn't really a competition, so what matters is what we think will bring the game forward the most. We'll discuss all the games in due course.

PS. I can't IRC neither, at least not during the week. Same reasons as Lee - difficult to make yourself convincing about the professionnal use of IRC at work :D

Yeah, I totally forgot about all you CFC surfers at work!! No problem, maybe we can work out something on the weekends.

I actually didn't whip at all - it isn't something I do in my games, I never thought the :) would balance out the :mad: from the whips, so I will use it, but only sparingly - I don't like to see my nice big cities be diminished after all the time it took them to grow. We'll see whose strategy works ;) - mine with sparing whips, yours with aggressive whipping!

Well, I think I just got out of measure and whipped too much... It's not my usual style of play ( I simply overlook it most of the time ), but I try to get the max of this game and try some new stuff. As for learning from this experiance, it's quite impressive :)

Yeah, this war has to be planned and thought out before we attempt it. And, what is really needed is some scouts, or boats to scout out their land, just to get an idea in what we are letting ourselves into, and whether it will actually work.

My call would be to get Writing/Open Borders, and hurry a galley up there with a scout on it. We should be able to draw some better plans once we get to know their territory/power potential better.

As for this, what would you say if we shorten our next time span to 25 - 30 turns, so that we can get to know our Chinese friend better and discuss asap about our next steps to take ? :confused:

It is great, and we might use Putchuco's save if we all agree. Look at it this way - as I said before, this isn't really a competition, so what matters is what we think will bring the game forward the most. We'll discuss all the games in due course.

As for now, I think this try is the strongest, due to Stonehenge ( borders, culture and GP ), so if we agree I think I will go ahead and vote for this one. However, I have to do some more comparisons.
I know it's not the aim of this thread to get competitive, but I think that we should at least try to propose only one try per player per time span. If we think that our try is poor, I propose to edit the original try and post the new try instead.
However, with spoilers we now from the first try and we read from other games, the new try isn't well balanced IMHO ( but we would have Stonehenge... ;) - not easy to stay objective in such a case )

I am hesitant about allowing do-overs (although to be honest, no one would know if you played twice but only posted the best result). It's not so much about one person correcting their mistakes, but rather all of us always playing from the best possible position. For instance, Putchuco was the only one able to build the Stonehenge, and only on the second try. If we go with his game, we will play with this "bonus" of having the Stonehenge and not having to contend with border expansions. My view is that this will actually limit learning as border expansions will become a non-issue.

Which brings up another point. Perhaps we should not be selecting the "best" game to continue, but rather the most interesting one. This way there can be a specific challenge. Using James' game as an example, we could try to take China without Catapults (not that I'm suggesting this, but it's an idea).

Now, about the game itself. :)

I settled up by the clams first because I tend to go after resources first. The floodplain location only has spices, and that's not till Calendar, so to me it was secondary. It is a prime cottage location though, so I made it next in order to help research. I think that within 20-30 turns it will be a real money pit. I chose to found not on the coast because, as some one already said, it uses the land more effectively. It fits in with Babylon and Akkad better on the hill.

By founding on the coast, you might have room for one more city to get the other spices, but to me, that's a filler location. In Civ4, I've found that I don't like filler locations (I think I expand too fast, C3C carry over). They drive up maintenance without really helping that much.

Which brings me to the copper site in the SE. I haven't built a city there yet, and I'm planning my next one to be by the sheep. There's no food resources down in the SE peninsula, so I don't think that's a terribly important site this early in the game unless it's the only source of copper (which it's not).

The only time I rush to Iron Working is when I have no copper, or I have a jungle start. If I have copper and no jungle, I don't think IW is a priority, as it only allows Swords, and as I said previously, I prefer Axes and Catapults.

No one went Masonry->Montheism though! Are we all godless heathens? :D

Top Bottom