Request for artwork for a new civ

whoward69

DLL Minion
I really suck at art (the average 6-year-old puts me to shame) - most of my mods have "just good enough" art to be playable, but I'd like something more polished for my latest mod, so am wondering if there are two or three artists out there who'd like to help me out. :please:

But first the civ teaser

The Clans of the Morindim - Spirits of Earth, Sky and Water
  • Traits: Extra land, Enhanced Pantheon (replaces Religion) and River Connections
  • Building: Totem Pole (replaces Shrine) and Totems
  • Improvement: Spirit Markers (can only be built by Clan Mystics)
  • Clan Units: Elder (Inquisitor), Mystic (Missionary), Magician (Prophet)
  • Spirit Units: Spirit Warriors (raised from Spirit Markers), Earth, Sky and Water Great Spirits (summoned by Clan Magicians)

Still here, good :clap:

I need 37 images in total - 3 2D-graphics and 34 icons - which sounds a lot but they share common themes (so would divide among two or three artists fairly easily)

With the exception of the Leader icon (using Shaka), the DoM Screen (using Pocatello) and the Leader Scene (not needed for testing), I have "not good enough" versions of all of these for testing that can be used as a reference.

Spirit Symbol Icons (9) - (http://maggiecordova.com/vikingsymbol.png)
Civilization, Civilization Alpha, Summon Mission, Dismiss Mission (as Summon but with a red circle and line -like delete unit), Spirits Flag, Spirits SV, Spirit Promotion (3 variants - alpha, pedia and unit panel)

Totem Symbol Icons (4) - (based on spirit symbol with additional stylised image and "sun-burst" - all building icons)
Earth Totem, Sky Totem, Water Totem, Combined Totem

Pantheon Symbol Icons (3) - (pantheon flash)
Add Beliefs Mission (with a + sign like enhance religion), Clan Magician Flag, Clan Magician SV

Spirit Marker Symbol Icons (4) - (animal skull on a pole)
Spirit Marker Build, Spirit Marker SV, Clan Mystic Flag, Clan Mystic SV

Clan Elder Symbol Icons (2) - (pipe of peace)
Clan Elder Flag, Clan Elder SV

Spirit Warrior Symbol Icons (2) - (ghost)
Spirit Warriors Flag, Spirit Warriors SV

Graphics Icons (10)
Head of the Clans (Leader), Totem Pole (Building), Spirit Marker (Improvement), Clan Elder (Unit), Clan Mystic (Unit),
Clan Magician (Unit), Earth Spirit (Unit), Sky Spirit (Unit), Water Spirit (Unit), Spirit Warriors (Unit)

2D Art (3)
Map, DoM screen, Leader Scene

So, any takers? I have a "Kudos Awards" section in the Civilopedia entry just waiting for your name! :bowdown:

TIA

W

Attachments

• MorindimIcon.png
    MorindimIcon.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 122
  • MorindimMap.png
    MorindimMap.png
    144.2 KB · Views: 93
I've attached the current civ icon (spirit symbol and colour themes) and map to the first post and all the existing art can be downloaded (as dds files) here

What would you like your leader to look like?

Think "native American Indian style warrior clad in animal pelts with an animal skull based head-dress holding a spear on a painted pony" and you'll be in the right ball-park.

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000J9kUGaW3M4k/s/900/900/162-217-MR196P.jpg comes close.
Edit: Actually that's not very close at all, but gives the general impression!

(The Morindim are from the Belgariad by David Eddings and get a whole 12 pages in the 5-volume series, so there's not much reference material!)

Created a totem pole for you, hope it's what you need :). The attachment is the icon in .dds format. I won't be offended if you don't want to use it!

Just a thought based on my own requests for art; I found that there would be two or three people send me their versions of a specific request, whilst other requests were unmet. It led to the awkward situation of having to pick one above another. I found that having in the op, a list of "outstanding requests," a list of "in progress" and a final list of "completed" let those people planning to help know what really needed to be done.

Attachments

• TotemPole.jpg
    TotemPole.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 88
  • TotemPole.rar
    14.4 KB · Views: 47
Just a thought based on my own requests for art; I found that there would be two or three people send me their versions of a specific request, whilst other requests were unmet. It led to the awkward situation of having to pick one above another.

Add to that that the icons need to share the same theme and I may be in trouble! Ideally someone needs to do all of the four totem icons so they are consistent, rather than four people doing one each.

Created a totem pole for you, hope it's what you need :).

Wow! I couldn't even start PS/Gimp and open a file in the time it took you to do that!

Spoiler :

@TPangolin - cool! (Every time I tried to follow the tutorial I couldn't select both the symbol AND the background, so my "shine" was only on the green)

I should just upload the PSD. It's really simple and only has like 5 layers, only 3 of which you actually adjust.

For reference

Code:
<Colors>
  <Row>
    <Type>COLOR_PLAYER_MORINDIM_ICON</Type>
    <!-- R=146, G=221, B=10 (Arabian Icon Green) -->
    <Red>0.573</Red>
    <Green>0.867</Green>
    <Blue>0.039</Blue>
    <Alpha>1</Alpha>
  </Row>
  <Row>
    <Type>COLOR_PLAYER_MORINDIM_BACKGROUND</Type>
    <!-- R=74, G=59, B=46 (Shoshone Background Beige) -->
    <Red>0.290</Red>
    <Green>0.230</Green>
    <Blue>0.180</Blue>
    <Alpha>1</Alpha>
  </Row>
</Colors>

How could I not like that!

Any way to make the upper torso of him into the leader icon?

Edit: Added in game images

Attachments

• MorindimDoM.jpg
    MorindimDoM.jpg
    177.8 KB · Views: 80
  • MorindimSetup.jpg
    MorindimSetup.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 81
Thought so! The download attached to the post with the leaderhead preview now contains an icon.

It was a real pleasure to do this for you - you've helped me out recently and it's nice to be able to do something in return :).

Top Bottom