Request for artwork for a new civ

Sorry that it took so long, but I've got something that may be able to be used as the map:

Ah. Ummm. It's everything to the North of the red block.

@Nutty and @DJSHenninger - many thanks for those - they're great :D

If someone could make the white spirit symbol attached (it's white on a trans background so doesn't show very well on a web page!) have a "3D Gold" effect (as per the two promotion icons - just the raised gold effect, not the blue background), I can manage most (if not all) of the remaining spirit symbol icons myself.
Do you still need the golden triskel?

This is vector graphic so i can scale it to whatever size you might need.

Yes, I most certainly do :)

Was about to add 256x256 png on a trans background ... but I'll just lift that image!

Well, glad i can help then, it's not often that you need help for your mods ;)

What sizes do you need? Scaling will probably be best done on the vector image rather than an already exported raster.
Do you need other icons? I see you have already added many custom icons but they have pixellated edges that the stock icons don't have. I can probably help you with those if you'd like (unless you need 1 bit transparency but the firaxis icons look like they have anti aliased edges that i can't imagine possible without 8 bit alpha channel)

EDIT : If you need element specific golden icons, let me know.

Do you need other icons? I see you have already added many custom icons but they have pixellated edges that the stock icons don't have. I can probably help you with those if you'd like[/IMG]

Very grateful for any help - see post #1 ... I really suck at art!

The 3 missions (summon, dismiss and add beliefs) and the 1 build (spirit marker) icons should be "bevelled silver-grey" and not the current flat white if you feel like doing them. (I'm not in love with the "skull on a pole" for the build, so feel free to get creative with that one!)

(I'm not in love with the "skull on a pole" for the build, so feel free to get creative with that one!)
Would some sort of Amerindian totem do the trick? I looked for voodoo totem inspiration, but couldn't find one that would look nice on such a small scale.

I've been able to save this test icon as dds without messing the file so i can test them in game now.

Do you still need a tribal council icon?
No and yes - no in that I scaled and cropped the last image you linked to as a placeholder icon, yes in that I scaled and ...

I've had a hard time finding a graphic for that which will fit the style you are going for.
Tell me about it.

While the Morindim are still on my "to do" list, they've dropped down below something called "CSD v23 code merge" ... whatever that may be ;)

No and yes - no in that I scaled and cropped the last image you linked to as a placeholder icon, yes in that I scaled and ...

Tell me about it.

While the Morindim are still on my "to do" list, they've dropped down below something called "CSD v23 code merge" ... whatever that may be ;)

That sounds tedious and dull – I'd just ignore that. :)

Did you like the artwork linked above? Too feudal? The artwork you cropped was but a still from an episode of the reality show Survivor (groan).

I'll keep perusing. DeviantArt has artwork that leans a bit more towards what you are looking for.

Yes, too feudal - needs to be more "organic" than "regimented"

(OT: CSD v23 code merge is quite fun as I get to take the mickey over all the coding issues :D)

That was my fear. Back to the hunt.

(OT: CSD v23 code merge is quite fun as I get to take the mickey over all the coding issues :D)

Ha! Indeed. On the other side of the pond we'd refer to that as 'passing the buck,' but taking the piss/mickey has a certain endearing oddness to it. :)
G

Ah. Ummm. It's everything to the North of the red block.
Something like this?
Spoiler :

On a related subject. How important is it for you to keep texture size small? I ask because right now i've only been able to load textures saved as 32 bpp ARGB in CiV and this produces large files. DXT compression requires dimensions in powers of 2 (and most CiV images are not) and palette compression produces garbage files. I havn't tried the more exotic compressions yet.

The map tested above is 579 kb for a 360x412 px image, about twice as much as a png.

I do mostly fantasy units, but if there are any units that could crossover well into fantasy mods (such as the elementals) then I would be happy to help out - particularly if you can find inspiration from an existing Civ IV unit.

Thanks for all of your input on the site - I use your ArtDefines files for every unit I convert into Civ V! :goodjob:

i've only been able to load textures saved as 32 bpp ARGB in CiV and this produces large files. DXT compression requires dimensions in powers of 2 (and most CiV images are not) and palette compression produces garbage files.
Generally, it's a good idea to keep file sizes down, although it's not as crucial for maps and diplo screens, etc. as it is for, say, unit textures where it can have a big impact on performance. I suppose you could cut down the size a bit by removing the alpha channel for those images where it's not needed...

However, you should just use a different DDS image editor with proper DXT support. I know there's at least one DDS converter that I used to use that requires powers of 2 for DXT, but the Photoshop plugin (for one) only needs a multiple of 4 (though you'll still need a 4x4 atlas for those pesky 45x45 pixel icons).

Top Bottom