Reseed!

@Crimson13
Does the problem also happen when previewing the map (not the crash, the error you had before)? Because this is what I do to try to reproduce your bugs.

Also if your problem happens with the "test0" version, then the reseeding won't complete and you will get an error message such as "bad terrain type: xyz" (and I am want to know the "xyz"). Since you completed the reseeding, then it cannot be test0.

PS: Thal updated his map yesterday, does the problem also happen with it?

Glancing and previewing the map didn't cause any problems...I think. I think I tried it once or twice, in the very least once and it worked fine with the earlier versions. It works fine with the test0 version.

No, no problems with the updated map. Still the same issue though, everything works fine until the civ loading menu and then it never stops loading.

If you reach the point where the game starts reloading the map, then you did not use the test0 version. The test0 version would stop before that and display an error message with the info I need if your problem was encountered.

If you're sure that you're using the test0 version, the problem may have been removed by the recent update of the communitas map. So please go back to the previous stable version (v10) and tell me what happens now with the updated communitas map. If you still get the old message, test0 shouls display the error message I want.

Also, you did forget to tell me if you are able to load the __ressed savegame from the main menu. Does it work or does itr crash too?

I know it is frustrating but I cannot progress on my end without additional infos. I need either the message from the test0 version, or a confirmation that the new version of the map did change the problem, or the conditions to reproduce the problem myself.

Attachments

• Lua.rar
    210 bytes · Views: 169
So nothing new, we're back to suqare one. None of this makes sense: the fact that you cannot get the error message from test0 and the fact that I can't reproduce the problem. So let's try a "test1" that will produce a more detailled output. Please provide me a lua log with you attempting to preview a new map, then reseeding. No need for a screenshot.

Attachments

• Reseed! (v 11 - test1).rar
    302.9 KB · Views: 135
Thank you for your patience, I have been able to spot the issue thanks to this last log. At some point the mod was assigning a "nil" terrain type because of a mistake, which caused all the issues we observed.

I checked and civ5 does sanitize the arguments it gets from the map scripts. So I made this new version to mimic this behavior. I also warned Thalassicus about the error in his mod.

Attachments

• Reseed! (v 11 - beta3).zip
    318.2 KB · Views: 181
Unfortunately, I'm still still getting the eternal load at the civ loading screen. Previewing the map is fine still and so is making a new map, but when it gets to the the civ loading menu is never stops loading. Loading the __reseed save still has the forever load problem.

Here's the lua from it.

Attachments

• Lua.rar
    8.6 KB · Views: 151
Yeah, I know. I feel like an ass about this.

I've even deleted the cache and ModUserData just incase that might've been something, but still, nada. Taking out all the mods out of the MODS folder except Communitas and Reseed! and unsubscribing from everything else didn't change either. Again, I feel like an ass but I have little idea on what's wrong on my end.

I don't know if it helps at all, but I've noticed today that Steam is acting up for me (Again.) I can't see any of my favorite and subscribed files, it just comes up blank. I doubt it has something to do with it honestly but...it's one thing that stood out. It only happened today though so...yeah.

Yeah, I know. I feel like an ass about this.
By all gods, please don't! :)

You're not at fault here. And while I was unable to reproduce the old problem, I can reproduce this new one (I only tried the preview when I published beta3). Besides, aside of your mistake at some point, it has always been a genuine problem in Reseed and Communitas, even if I could not reproduce it for reasons I still do not understand (I suspect a civ5 bug on my end).

So the old problem was an argumentation sanitation. There was a mistake in Communitas and civ5 was transparently handling it while Reseed did not. This is now fixed. However the new problem is a whole different beast, far more troublesome. At first I thought it was caused by the first problem but it's not. It's actually caused by ocean tiles right next to land tiles, without a coast between them. The civ5 engine cannot create a mesh for this edge case. I knew this from IGE and I had to make IGE automatically replace ocean tiles by coast tiles. But during the map generation I always thought the map scripts were the one dealing with this problem, so I did not worry about.

My guess was wrong. At the time I wrote Reseed, the dll's source code was not available and I had to guess and test a lot of things to mimic the civ5's map object. Now the source is available and I just gave it a look: it appears that the engine deals with the intermediate coasts the first time a plot type is assigned to a tile. This is going to be quite bothersome to fix. But this discovery also imply that during all of that time, the maps generated by Reseed (with any map script) were lacking some coasts and sea ressources!

Here is the beta4, it works for me and,, I guess, for everyone.

I explained the problem earlier. Fixing it required significant changes with numerous consequences. First of all the generation speed has been negatively impacted. Second of all those changes are likely to affect the shape of the shallow waters and increase the amount of sea resources. Those are just the most plausible changes. Anyway the differences previously observed were bugs, the new result is true to the script afaik.

Finally, significant changes mean a significant risk of additional bugs. So please, to anyone trying this version, run extensive tests and report any error.

Attachments

• Reseed! (v 11 - beta4).zip
    319 KB · Views: 130
<Sigh> Still that same problem. :sad:

Here's the lua.

Attachments

• Lua.rar
    8.6 KB · Views: 145
I tried 3 times, the first time I did it ctd which was a first. The second did the forever load and the third time I tried loading the second __reseed save which forever loaded again.

Here's the lua's from them.

Attachments

• Lua.rar
    6.5 KB · Views: 150
  • Lua (2).rar
    7.9 KB · Views: 161
EDIT: Neverwind, there was a typo in reseed and at the time I ran my tests the thing that was causing crashes in Communitas was temporarily disabled. Forgive me but I spent hellish hours on that stupid problem and I forgot to restore everything properly in the end. New version coming...

V5.

I hate this stupid game, I hate those stupid crashes, I hate those stupid dynamic languages and their stupid absence of a stupid static verification, I hate those stupidly long stupid loading times, I hate those wasted hours.

Oh this was painful. Tell me it works, I beg you, because it kills me.

Attachments

• Reseed! (v 11 - beta5).zip
    319 KB · Views: 179
You'll be happy to know that I don't have to put you out of your misery because it works. Hooray! :w00t:

I tried it twice and they both worked fine, preview and loading a new map. I was going to use the third try using the mods I typically use but Steam is being pissy again and not letting me download my subscribed mods. So until then I can't say completely, but I can say like...95% that's it's all good.

Edit: After waiting for Steam and nothing happening, I forgot that I moved my mods out into a temporary folder on my desktop. So after moving those back in I tried to see if anything would go wrong and nope, everything went fine. So I am pretty sure it's like 100% now...maybe 99% just to be safe, never know.

Don't panic, nothings wrong. I just wanted to ask a question, Reseed! is fine.

I haven't tried it out yet, and it's not really "finished" but I wanted to ask if you think Reseed! is going to have issues with CEP from Thalassicus. I imagine that if it's going to be anything like CivUP and GEM I'm definitely going to use it but not until everything is squared away with it. You know what I mean.

Top Bottom