RevolutionDCM for BTS

So i have a problem .....

I installed 2.71 and started a new game .... now the diplomacy doesn't work. Well, the window comes up and it shows what they are offering and what i am offering, etc... but the text / options to choose from in the bottom center do not display. Its a blank field.This is with every 'trade/diplomacy' interaction - those that i start and those that the AI starts.

At first i thought it might be because i don't have writing yet, so i continued playing until i researched that, but i still don't have any options to choose from when doing trades/diplomacy.

Any thoughts on how to 'fix' this?

meh.... i ended up reinstalling everything.... But now the old savegame that i started with 2.71 doesn't work in the re-installed version.

I guess what i did was install 2.71 over 2.51 and that somehow created conflicts. :/

@Mattpilot
Ok looks like you have sorted it out. Phungus has explained that these symptoms are because you have two copies of RevolutionDCM floating around on your system. Probably one in the BTS installation folder and one in "my documents". The installer correctly puts RevolutionDCM into the BTS installation area, but it will not delete previous installations that exist elsewhere on your machine, in places it does not know. So the morale of the story is to only have one RevolutionDCM, and that goes into the mod directory of the BTS installation.

Cheers

No, the problem occurs when you install the new version over the top of an old version. You need to remove any old version of RevDCM you have already, otherwise there are files left over that conflict.

The new installer also creates an uninstaller, so in general installing twice should fix the problem, as the installer runs the uninstaller before executing if it detects a RevDCM registry key (the installer creates this key when RevDCM is installed, and the uninstaller also removes this key when it's uninstalled). This function is so that in the future when we release new versions the new versions will completely remove any old version files and will automatically take care of everything; however this obviously wol't work for versions of RevDCM a user may have on their computer that are older then 2.7, as there was no installer, and so no uninstaller or registry key for the RevDCM installer to detect and execute. Also of note, for users that have windows 7 if they set their security protocols to high levels the uninstaller wol't work right though if it's triggered by the installer, so they need to run it manually first, or more logically set their Windows 7 security settings to more rational levels (this wol't only cause problems with RevDCM, other software wol't be able to update correctly either).

I suppose you could get his problem by having two copies of RevDCM installed, one in My Documents, and one in Program Files. But I've never said as much; because I think that would be pretty rare and never really thought about it. It's far more likely a user had RevDCM 2.5 and just installed 2.7; in which case some old 2.5 files will be left over and cause conflicts, most noteably breaking the diplo screen.

@Phungus
Thanks for the MP bug fix with custom assets. LordMyst did a great job there. There's a fair bit of work to do but hopefully I can get MP in by Easter. Lemmy has done a lot of work that mainly just needs to get integrated and tested.
Cheers

@Phungus
Congrats on your interview at Strategy Informer!
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=359667

You suggested Lemmy101 for RevDCM and he shows a lot of promise on CivFanatics and RevDCM. The future looks good. Great to mention Jdog5000 and EmperorFool. They are such original contributers and deserve highest accolades. How do we get them an interview as well? Yes good point. Grab every graphic artist you can find! Boy we will need them when civ5 comes out. An entire religion graphic will have to be created from scratch as well as clever adjustments to the user interface. It's a big job and is no less important than the coding aspect.

Cheers

Agreed, I really enjoyed the Phungus420 interview. I'd love to learn or be taught how to do graphical modding. I think it's something I can do and would really like to contribute to the modding community for Civ 5 at least.

Well, I've been pretty busy with other things this winter, but we're getting back into the Civvin thing. What I want to know is when there is a RevDCM that is mp ready and where to get it when it is. Thanks so much for working on this huge project.

@Riddleofsteel
Yeah just go with it. If you like working with the graphics go for it. Civ5 will be like a clean slate, but the basic principles will be similar to now. The trick is not to compare your graphics art work with others. Just do it for yourself until you are happy with it. Don't be distracted by other peoples work. All comparisons between work is subjective anyway. The thing with the civ community is that what comes out works in totally paradoxical ways. We do it for self motivation, but at the same time the fruits of this labour benefits others as well. That is totally the way to go. Yes be self interested and self motivated, but give away the fruits of your labour for others to enjoy. You may not get rich that way but you will get happy! The trick is to start right now, with what is available right now. Do not wait.

@Carwyn
Yeah multiplayer is coming along. Lemmy101 has done some great things like a prototype autoplayMP. In a two PC setup it seems very stable at this stage, but three pc's seems to throw a spanner in the works we'll see.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=353684&page=7

EDIT: forgot to say that RevDCM actually works right now in MP if all players empty out thier custom assets folder before starting a game. Such a simple find that LordMyst worked out very cleverly using process monitor. There are still OOS issues and so players should just be happy with what they get for now. RevolutionMP has been ported over to RevDCM but not the latest build.

Cheers

glider1, you're absolutely right. I'm kind of put off by how complex the nifskope and blender stuff seems to be, but I'll keep trying.

I kind of resent the fact that my Tiny Europe map has been included as "Duuk's Tiny Europe". Duuk stole it from me without giving credit and hasn't done the hard work in creating the map/scenario. Any chance you'll rename it in a possible future release?

I'm making a mod based off of RevDCM 2.71 (or whatever the latest build is), but each time I start a new game with it, I get a message telling me that "BugOptions.py can't find the settings folder" or some such. The documentation hasn't been helpful so if someone could tell me what's up, I'd appreciate it.

I'm making a mod based off of RevDCM 2.71 (or whatever the latest build is), but each time I start a new game with it, I get a message telling me that "BugOptions.py can't find the settings folder" or some such. The documentation hasn't been helpful so if someone could tell me what's up, I'd appreciate it.

Go into your mod/Assets/Python/Contrib and find CvModName.py. Change the name of mod to your mod. I think it may solve your problem. If not, then move to higher level expert's opinions :).

I suppose we need to add some documentation about the UserSettings folder.

The UserSettings folder is used by the BUG mod to store, create and use BUG's ini files. RevDCM usually installs this folder to .../My Documents/My Games/Bts/RevDCM/ (see the install script for all possible install locations). The installer puts the UserSettings folder there instead of the main RevDCM mod folder in the Program Files path because doing so is a work around for the security protocols of Windows Vista and Windows 7; BtS itself does something similar, for the same reason, it stores the BtS config file in My Documents/My Games/BtS.

When using RevDCM as a base you will need to include the UserSettings folder. You have two options; you may either create an install script for your mod (it's recommended you use the RevDCM install script as a template, and simply change the mod name and file path definitions for you computer and mod, the install script should be easy to use for any user competent enough to create a Civ4 mod, as everything is well commented), and set up the installation of the UserSettings folder the same way RevDCM does; or you may copy the UserSettings folder itself directly into your mod's folder (doing so will require your users on Windows Vista or Windows 7 to launch the mod as an administrator, otherwise the BUG components will not be able to write to the ini files it needs to access, however the advantage to this method is that you will not need to set up an installer for your mod to handle the UserSettings folder). In both cases you must change the name of the mod in CvModName.py to your mod's name, so that the BUG components of your mod will know where to look for the UserSettings folder.

Yeah, I half-considered suggesting an updated merge guide for this mod. But thank you both; I had already done the CvModName correction, but I didn't know about the UserSettings folder. I copied that into my mod and it's working fine (didn't need administrator access since I installed Civ 4 outside of Program Files).

Hi, I was just looking in logs\PythonDbg.log to see what was causing a crash when I noticed something else about Rev and a Religion mod I have taken over the support for.

As you can see from the log some religions have multiple temples. The question is - what effect if any would this have on revolutions? If it only expects one, for example, is it the first or last that is recorded? This can be important for the mod since some of these temples require multiple of other temples to be able to be built. I may need to go through and change things a bit ;)
Spoiler :
Code:
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Asatru Temple is 389: Asatru Temple
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Druidism Shrine is 403: Nature Answer
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Mesopotamism Temple is 417: Temple of An
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Mesopotamism Temple is 418: Temple of Enki
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Mesopotamism Temple is 419: Temple of Enlil
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Mesopotamism Temple is 420: Temple of Inanna
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Mesopotamism Temple is 421: Temple of Ki
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Mesopotamism Shrine is 422: Babel tower
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Ngaiism Temple is 425: Naiteru-Kob Bless
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Ngaiism Temple is 426: Ngai Bless
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Ngaiism Temple is 427: Ngai Na-Nyoke Bless
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Ngaiism Temple is 428: Ngai Narok Bless
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Ngaiism Shrine is 429: Oldoinyo Ngai
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Scientology Shrine is 432: Scientology Sede
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Scientology Temple is 433: Scientology Temple
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Animism Shrine is 437: Spirits Answer
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Shinto Temple is 443: Shinto Temple
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Shinto Cathedral is 445: Shinto Jingu
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Shinto Shrine is 446: The Ise-jingu
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Tengriism Shrine is 453: Khan Tengri
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Voodoo Cathedral is 456: Voodoo Market
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Voodoo Shrine is 458: The Tomb of Ansyen Bon
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Voodoo Temple is 459: Voodoo Hut
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Yoruba Temple is 460: Pattaky of Obatala
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Yoruba Temple is 461: Pattaky of Oggun
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Yoruba Temple is 462: Pattaky of Olofin
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Yoruba Temple is 463: Pattaky of Olokun
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Yoruba Temple is 464: Pattaky of Oshosi
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Yoruba Shrine is 465: Pattaky of Olodumare
19:09:57 DEBUG: ReligionUtil.init - Judaism Missionary is 37: Rabbi

btw None of this has anything to do with the error I am trying to sort out :)

@Dancing Hoskuld

ReligionUtil.py is part of BUG mod and as far as I know, it has nothing to do with revolutions - ReligionUtil is used in religion screen to determine the dots for temples etc.

I kind of resent the fact that my Tiny Europe map has been included as "Duuk's Tiny Europe". Duuk stole it from me without giving credit and hasn't done the hard work in creating the map/scenario. Any chance you'll rename it in a possible future release?

Ah ha! It was yours originally. In my thread in the RevDCM forum I stated plainly that all the scenarios marked as "Duuk's" whatever were recodes and updates of others work. However, since you didn't include a comment in the original file, I had no idea where it came from originally. I even asked in the thread for people to post if they knew where the originals were from.

Thanks for pointing it out!

Sorry about that. Will change the Scenario's name to reflect it's origins in the next update.

Top Bottom