RevolutionDCM for BTS

Vista users must launch as an admin, otherwise vista's security protocols wol't allow the game to create or edit the ini files BUG uses to set up user defined options.

Leave it to Vista to screw up your mods. :sad: I'm seriously thinking about reinstalling Civ 4 outside of Program Files...

Anyway, I ran Civ 4 as an administrator and it worked this time. Thank you both for your timely responses.

@Phungus
Good one Phungus I am starting to ask you questions about how to mod. Question: This option you would like included "Era Limit". If I get time at the end, I could give it a go. Not sure how much patience I will have by then...In the meantime, what does it do and how is it configured now? I understand that you would like it to be the same as custom screen for selecting era, but at this point am clueless about what it actually does.
Cheers.

I haven't checked it out, just read the thread. jdog made it, so he should have a pretty in depth knowledge about how it works ;) and the specifics with code and such. Basically it caps technological advance to an era, so if you set it to Industrial, you can't research techs past the industrial era.

This is the modcomp's thread:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=287940

JDog's Era Limit Mod is a simple "if" function added to the cannotResearch function in CivGameUtils.py that limits research by era. When it is enabled, it disables the techs in eras past the one chosen to limit (colors them red) and the AI, when it has researched all it can, will switch its research slider to 0 and focus on Culture and espionage. Since the new BUG did away with the CvGameUtils file, to get it to work with minimal modification I had to add the CivGameUtils.py file, then add the code under the cannotResearch function, enable the cannotResearch callback in the xml, and comment out line 187 in Python/Bug/BugGameUtils.py (self._setDefault("cannotResearch", False). This is the easiest I have found since I am not as familiar with the new BUG system. Unfortunately it causes an error if one tries to change the era limit during the game. To set the era limit in an active game, one must close Civ, edit the file, then restart.
The ideal situation would be to have an "End Era" field (just below "Starting Era") in the Custom Game/Scenario screen (as well as in a scenario file) and have the limit apply the entire game, but to each savegame file individually. In its current implementation it is not able to do that.

The ideal situation would be to have an "End Era" field (just below "Starting Era") in the Custom Game/Scenario screen (as well as in a scenario file) and have the limit apply the entire game, but to each savegame file individually. In its current implementation it is not able to do that.
I'd really like to see it included If it can be implemented in the way Infantryman06 suggests. However the component in it's current state isn't ready to be added to RevDCM; you have to edit a python file to adjust it. if a modmaker wants the component, they can add the python themselves, since you have to mess with python anyway to tweak it.

I agree with phungus, like the JCultureControl mod, it needs some work before it can be fully implemented.
Coincidentally, Jeckel also has a similar Era limit mod for BTS 3.13, abet with a more complicated implementation.
It can be found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=6620 with the sources here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=10571
I also found another of Jeckel's Era Limit mod for BTS 3.17 that might be closer to what we are looking for: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7196489.

It seems Jeckel has a lot of little goodies that he did in 2007/2008. Check his user page: http://forums.civfanatics.com/member.php?u=70323&page=1.

He has another version of the improvement culture borders that may be more useful: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=246524 with the files found here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=6760926&postcount=15

@Phungus and Infantryman
Thanks for the information. Ye gods, if it's done by Jdog it's gotta go into RevDCM with a custom game screen entry hasn't it? It's up to the man himself to see what he thinks. Meanwhile I'm going to off and talk to some trees for a break..... Just finished merging in latest BUG off the SVN if you would like to go grab it.
Cheers.

@glider1

I think Jeckel beat jdog to it, this mod already has the custom game screen: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=7196489. If I have time I am going to merge it into your latest revision and see how it works, along with Jeckel's other improvement mod which may be better than JCUltureCOntrol.

But i've been using Jdog's mod at it works awesome, kudos to him for its simplicity!

Last update looks good. Here is what I've found that are probably minor issues in the 202 SVN.

The NonStateReligionCommerce code has been dropped from CvReligionScreen.py in the latest update, probably an oversight in the BUG 4.1 merge. The NonStateReligionCommerce tag was added to RevDCM in TraitInfos as a modding tool, and it's effects were reflected in the religion screen by some code that's been dropped in the latest SVN update. I'm including LoR's CvReligionScreen.py file in case you've lost the code. You may need to alter it some with the update to BUG 4.1, just keep in mind the NonStateReligionCommerce code functionality needs to be included.

Edit:
What happened to the RevTrait effects in CivilizationsSchema? I know these tags were added to CvInfos, but I can't find them in the RevDCM CivilizationsSchema. Without the tags being included in the schema file, the functionality is lost, you can't adjust Revolution effects with the Rev Trait Effects code, since there is nowhere to set their value.

Edit2:
This assert is in RevDCM itself, so it's not related to LoR. You can reproduce it by moving your cursor into the production selection queue in the City Screen.
Code:
Assert Failed

File:  CvPlayer.cpp
Line:  6683
Expression:  GC.getCivilizationInfo(getCivilizationType()).getCivilizationBuildings(eBuildingClass) == eBuilding
I don't like the cut of it's jibb, please take a look at it.

Edit3:
CIV4GameText_ExamineCity.xml in the XML text folder is not needed. The examine city function was added to BtS 3.19, so it's included in the BtS text. Keeping it in the mod is at best redundant, and at worste could cause a conflict.

@Phungus
Thanks for taking a look at the latest build. I've updated what I can and submitted to SVN. Here's a couple of issues left untouched:
What happened to the RevTrait effects in CivilizationsSchema?
What happened was they were never merged in the first place. Could you upload your schema here?

Assert Failed File: CvPlayer.cpp
EDIT: Don't think it' a very serious assert and possibly there just to highlight some issue or other with the XML that might crop up under modified circumstances . However I'll keep an eye on it.

Cheers.

EDIT: Don't think it' a very serious assert and possibly there just to highlight some issue or other with the XML that might crop up under modified circumstances . However I'll keep an eye on it.

I would tend to disagree. I've noticed that assert too, in RoM, which has very different XML than BTS.

I can't tell that anything bad actually happens, but...

@Afforess
yes Afforess like I said this Fassert will fire if there is a problem in the XML for your particular mod. The situation would be where your civilization info building class for a unique building does not match the building class in buildings info. There are two different xml files that specify building classes for unique buildings. Double check your particular mod for these two files not having matching building classes:
CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml
CIV4BuildingInfos.xml
In the worst case, the building will just not get constructed and that is it. Like I said it is not a serious problem I do not think.

EDIT: I will now go and spend time trying to reproduce it in the way Phungus has highlighted above.
Cheers.

I know, that's the problem. This assert is firing in RevDCM itself, no modifications, also it fires when you move the cursor over the production queue. It should be firing on the begining of your turn when a unique building doesn't match the buildingclass (which can cause a crash for vista users), but that's not happening in LoR or RevDCM. So this assert is firing incorrectly, and it's not an assert I just want to ignore...

glider1 said:
Could you upload your schema here?
Here it is, there is an extra tag, upgrade anywhere, you don't want to include. Also you probably want to comment it, as most of the added stuff is commented in RevDCM.

Edit:
glider1, I have a request, if it would be simple to implement. Could we have a boolean tag that can hide the RevDCM tab in the Config file, probably at the top of the RevDCM file, just a simple <bVisible>1</bVisible> tag (where setting it to 0 will make the RevDCM tab disapear from the BUG options screen). That way if modmakers want to lock out the RevDCM options for gamebalance in their mods, they can. Also I think such an option will be necessary to get Multiplayer to eventually work, as there needs to be a way to lock these out durring MP play.

I'm having another problem. I have no idea if it's related to RevDCM, but I am using that as my mod's base so I'll report it anyway.

In my mod, various civics give health and happiness bonuses to certain buildings. The Civilopedia reflects this. But when I start a game and go to the civics screen, these bonuses don't show up. I don't get any error messages or the like, either. Perhaps something is wrong with the scrolling civics screen? Or did I mess up (again) on my part?

I'm having another problem. I have no idea if it's related to RevDCM, but I am using that as my mod's base so I'll report it anyway.

In my mod, various civics give health and happiness bonuses to certain buildings. The Civilopedia reflects this. But when I start a game and go to the civics screen, these bonuses don't show up. I don't get any error messages or the like, either. Perhaps something is wrong with the scrolling civics screen? Or did I mess up (again) on my part?

I saw somewhere else that this is a problem with the scrolling civics screen. I don't know if anyone is working on it.

The Scrolling Civics Screen by Johnny Smith can't show multiline items like the standard one, so any changes like that need to be set in the python help text key's... Ask GeneralStaff on the RoM forums, he has some experience modding that...

@Afforess and Mamba
A few of the schema files have changed in RevDCM 2.6 beta, I think this means that existing woc modules that contain older schema's possibly won't work with 2.6 do you agree? The weird bit is that some modules work and some do not even though both contain the same outdated schema's. So at a guess, we have broken woc modules backward compatibility with 2.6 beta? It may not matter, after all there is only a handful that were ever converted to RevDCM format anyway yes?
Cheers.

@Afforess and Mamba
A few of the schema files have changed in RevDCM 2.6 beta, I think this means that existing woc modules that contain older schema's possibly won't work with 2.6 do you agree? The weird bit is that some modules work and some do not even though both contain the same outdated schema's. So at a guess, we have broken woc modules backward compatibility with 2.6 beta? It may not matter, after all there is only a handful that were ever converted to RevDCM format anyway yes?
Cheers.

Schema's are wierd. Someone with more understanding may correct me, but as I understand it, it doesn't matter if the schema is outdated, calls functions that do not currently exist (although any values for those in the XML will be ignored) or doesn't call functions that do exist. It should always work, just as long as the schema is in the proper BTS format. I believe (don't quote me though) that you could use a vanilla BTS schema for modmod's and although they would lack some functionality that RevDCM adds, would still work fine.

A side note:
I noticed in your SVN that Show Hidden Attitude Mod is turned off by default. What's your rational for that?

@Afforess
Yeah agree that woc modules should still work even with outdated schema's. Some do and so do not apparently:crazyeye: Glad that at least you have tried the interface for the show hidden attitude mod and that it doesn't produce errors or side effects...so far. It is off by default just to keep the interface presentation as standard as possible. After all, one click and it's on now and doesn't any longer need a reload of the game.
Cheers.

Top Bottom