RFC Classical World ++

Sitalkas

Prince
The modmod that we all loved, is about to be enhanced!

The modmodmod will be based on the stable version of RFCCW rev 268.

Things that will be added, sorted by the shortest time needed to be implemented.

1) Add new buildings to enhance early production and economy.
2) Add resources to many "poor" areas of the map (Britain, Germany, Mongolia, to name a few..)
3) Add UHV, UU, UB, UP to every civ that is still missing them
4) Add city names on parts of the map that are still empty
5) Add new civilizations and historical events
6) Balance the mod

Last edited:
Installation Guide

Unfortunately I haven't been able to build the project with another name (plusplus), it was always crashing during the build process. You will have to move the old RFCCW folder to a backup place, and replace it with this one.

BETA VERSION

1) Visit the repository of the project at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/rfc-classical-world-plus-plus/files/RFC Classical World.7z/download

2) The mod directory will automatically be downloaded in a zip file.

3) Go to your downloads folder
('Downloads' on Windows OS)

4) Unzip the downloaded file
(right click on the zip file -> Extract here)

5) Move the extracted 'RFC Classical World' folder to your mods directory

For Steam users,the path to your mods directory is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Last edited:
Cities on many tiles are still needed. Around East Iran/w. Afghanistan there are a lot of empty tiles. And probably in more places. Also please shun creating/updating any new start dates. Pick one start date and make it as feature complete as possible before moving on.

Cities on many tiles are still needed. Around East Iran/w. Afghanistan there are a lot of empty tiles. And probably in more places. Also please shun creating/updating any new start dates. Pick one start date and make it as feature complete as possible before moving on.

I agree, central Asia needs a lot of work for the city-naming. It is in my plans to fix them. I hope that you can help me with them :)

By the way, do you want to stick to SVN to download the updates, or should we move to git? Are you all familiar with git pulls?

I've added some buildings that srpt had removed from the game, in order to boost early production by at least 10%. These buildings are the tannery and the textile mill.

Tannery:
+1 :yuck:
+10% :hammers: with cow
+10% :hammers: with pig
+10% :hammers: with camel

textile mill:
+10% :hammers: with hemp
+10% :hammers: with cotton
+10% :hammers: with sheep

The point here is to boost civs early in the game by +10% production. At least one resource that adds bonus can be worked early by nearly every civ.

Next, I added a new building to help with early economy and production. The slave market.

Slave market:
+1:mad: with slavery
+5% gold
+5% production

I have tested a few saves and seen that the AI builds them too. I haven't seen the long-term effects though, for example how they are going to affect the balance of the game if it helps early civs produce more units. It needs more testing. Maybe I will have to reduce each bonus to +5% instead of +10%.

Some infos about the new civs? I've started to make a Slavic modmodmod a time ago, but I've abandoned.
Regardind the new civs that I would like to have (and it's not going to happen in the near future!), I think that the mod really needs the following civs:
- Greek city states (Athens, Sparta and Rhodos)
- Scythians / Sarmatians/ Massagetae. Player will get to choose which one he/she wants to play and UHVs will change accordingly.
- At least on German civ
- Cimmerian Crimea
- Anglo-Saxons

You should really consider making the game feature complete, before even thinking about adding new civs.

If you're reworking based off the most recent github version, then some comments/ideas:
1) The stability system needs an overhaul- as it stands it's an unrealistic and arbitrary mechanic that randomly hits civs with penalties for no reason.
2) The Numidian start should be nerfed so they don't just trample Carthage.
3) Certain civ spawns should be conditional- e.g. the Sassanids shouldn't spawn if the Seleucids still hold Mesopotamia and Persia.
4) The random barb spamming needs to be curtailed somewhat, especially given the slowed rate of unit production.

Last edited:
I am aware of these issues. Right now I am testing a few saves and I keep notes of what I will change.

I like the stability mechanism that srpt has implemented. You can avoid it by using golden ages from great people; always keep some GP in reserves for an immediate golden age. I will also implement a national wonder that triggers a golden age for some extra help.

The Sassanids can spawn even with Seleucids being alive; I will just have to make sure that the Seleucids conquer the levant.

Barbarian activity will be severely nerfed. I like my games being controlled by civs and not by barbarians! So you can expect to see less barbarian activity in the Balcans, in Central Europe, in Georgia, in Hindu kush etc

Also, the Sakas will be severly nerfed. They spawn a few turns after the Bactrians and they really destroy their experience.

I like RFC Classical World. However anything to make it move faster would be good. It can be quite slow moving. Tech rate is slow, production is slow, and corruption is high. I'm guessing they have to be due to the really slow turn rate, so really the number of turns in the game needs to be reduced, but that would be a big task. Feel free to look at RFC GW for ideas for units, buildings, wonders, etc. Though as I borrowed quite a lot from this mod, there may not be as much new stuff for you.
I would suggest start with small/easy fixes, and build up from there. Modding can be demoralizing if you suffer big setbacks early on.
Anyway good luck with project, I will be keeping a close eye on it.

I like the stability mechanism that srpt has implemented. You can avoid it by using golden ages from great people; always keep some GP in reserves for an immediate golden age. I will also implement a national wonder that triggers a golden age for some extra help.
The problem at the moment is that it just constantly decreases for no reason. The system should probably work such that civ stability values naturally tend towards 50.
The current mechanic just constantly wrecks the game for no reason. Stability hits should only occur if something actually happens that justifies a loss of stability.
Also, the Egyptians cannot currently complete their UHV- the tech that enables the Great Library should be moved so that they can build it at start.

Last edited:
The problem at the moment is that it just constantly decreases for no reason. The system should probably work such that civ stability values naturally tend towards 50.
The current mechanic just constantly wrecks the game for no reason. Stability hits should only occur if something actually happens that justifies a loss of stability.
Also, the Egyptians cannot currently complete their UHV- the tech that enables the Great Library should be moved so that they can build it at start.

I am not sure which version you are using. The stability check occurs once a major event occurs; when you switch civics, when you conquer or destroy a city, when you found a city etc.

Which is your civics combo? Do you trade with other civs? Is your core population greater than your borders population?

I have managed to build the Great Library with both the Ptolemies and the Antigonids; use your slaves to hurry production. Always settle one or two slaves in cities, and then use them to hurry important buildings and wonders.

If you build an obelisk in Diospolis (sp?) first thing then the bonus GP points for Egypt will get you a GE which can rush the Great Library even on hard difficulty. Just focus your research and make good use of the slaves you'll get from all the desert rushes.

At least that strategy used to work before srpt started fiddling with everything!

Actually, there is a consistent way to keep stability up, paired with judicious use of Golden Ages: build as many cities in your core as possible. You want your core pop maxed out and your peripheries low. Paired with Empire and Bureaucracy you can last pretty much indefinitely that way.

For an example off the top of my head, I squeezed four cities into Armenia province when playing as Armenia the civ, and managed to win UHV and constantly stay stable.

I've nerfed the Sakas and Xiongnu attack waves, and buffed the Bactrian and Tocharian initial army. I also increased the initial army for Armenia.

After a few tests, I am happy to see that the Bactrians and Tocharians actually stay alive and they do not collapse. The Sakas and Xiongnu were a real pain in the ass for them. I will conduct a few more tests before finalizing their initial numbers.

I will also nerf barbarian activity in every corner of the map. I just don't like seeing so many "black" cities in the map.

After these changes, and the addition of resources in poor and barren places, I will be able to release my v0.1 for all of you :D

Last edited:
How about stopping the Carthaginian army which spawns 1 turn after you declare war on Carthage as Rome. Have it spawn a little further away.

Top Bottom