Suggestions and Requests

First of all, thank you for your work. I have been playing RFC, and then its RAND version, for the last 15 years of my life, and it is nice to know it is still cared about. I have no know-how in civ 4 modding, so I am not entirely sure of what constitutes an easy change or not. But I guess that map generation falls into the "big change" category, right?

well, the stuff that really ever bothered me about RAND is probably all big issues, but fixing the random crash issues would be the most important one. Love the idea of the mod but it is somewhat unstable from what I remember. It'd also be nice to adapt all the city names to match the name changing script (e.g. I believe the original RFC name changers use "Madinah" for Medina and the name in the list of Arabs in RAND is "Al-Madinah"; there's a lot of little things like that) and perhaps add more variety in terms of independent cities. At least that's the changes I have previously tinkered with for my own use. Obviously no idea how to cope with the crashes, though.

well, the stuff that really ever bothered me about RAND is probably all big issues, but fixing the random crash issues would be the most important one. Love the idea of the mod but it is somewhat unstable from what I remember. It'd also be nice to adapt all the city names to match the name changing script (e.g. I believe the original RFC name changers use "Madinah" for Medina and the name in the list of Arabs in RAND is "Al-Madinah"; there's a lot of little things like that) and perhaps add more variety in terms of independent cities. At least that's the changes I have previously tinkered with for my own use. Obviously no idea how to cope with the crashes, though.

- City names changes is nice to have and probably something that should be feasible.
- Variety in independent cities (randomize?) is an interesting thought.

- City names changes is nice to have and probably something that should be feasible.
- Variety in independent cities (randomize?) is an interesting thought.
I've done both of these myself sometime at least to some extent (randomness of independent cities can just be done by increasing the number which spawn, not all seem to spawn anyway, and many will get razed), but did not save it. I've also tried to implement a randomizer of the civ city lists, so that, while some cities will still be more likely to found than others, you wouldn't get the same cities all the time, to make it more similar to how vanilla RFC works. In the end I gave up, though, because RAND in general crashes too much (reproducibly too) and it was too frustrating for me. If it was stable enough to at least not make me constantly run into reproducible CTD issues, I probably would have spent way more time on it, since the idea of RAND is something I've always loved.

Top Bottom