[RFC DoC] The Egyptian Exodus: Far Far South

Sorry, this kinda dropped off my radar. I actually progressed the game up into the 1700s and hit a repeating game crash on the American spawn. I'll probably buy a new computer soon enough anyway. Can you believe I'm still gaming on a 2006 notebook that miraculously still functions? So many great games I missed in the meantime.

Anyway, I'm still around, just never got to properly writing the next part. Tried but the writing felt stale and neither very interesting nor funny. I think I'll give it another go, I still have all the screens and savegames. Maybe I'll even replay things from where the story left off as I think I've improved a good bit in the meantime.

Sorry, this kinda dropped off my radar. I actually progressed the game up into the 1700s and hit a repeating game crash on the American spawn. I'll probably buy a new computer soon enough anyway. Can you believe I'm still gaming on a 2006 notebook that miraculously still functions? So many great games I missed in the meantime.

Anyway, I'm still around, just never got to properly writing the next part. Tried but the writing felt stale and neither very interesting nor funny. I think I'll give it another go, I still have all the screens and savegames. Maybe I'll even replay things from where the story left off as I think I've improved a good bit in the meantime.

Keep going! I really wish to see how great your Inflation will get, I've been kind of obsessed to understand this "gamebreaking" mechanic. And also if the South African Egyptians can really become the envy of the world :D

It's really incredible you have a 2006 computer still working. My 2010 computer has broken this year just after I got a new one. Too many civ matches with it on top of a pillow while I was playing sitting on my bed. This has melt its circuits over the years :p

I'll read anything you write, and I'll certainly keep an eye on this thread.

Aww, that's nice dear :)

Keep going! I really wish to see how great your Inflation will get, I've been kind of obsessed to understand this "gamebreaking" mechanic. And also if the South African Egyptians can really become the envy of the world :D

Oh it's quite high, eating a huge chunk of my commerce. I just have to outpace the growing inflation and grow, grow, grow.

Aren't they already the envy of the world? :( Abdju especially is a monster, look at dose stats on the cities screen. And the number of wonders is quite something too(just noticed the image got deleted, weird).

Anyway, I'll try to have something new for you soon.

Egypt is the nation every other country aspires to be :D

Ok I'm subbed to this. I wanted to play a game as an African nation and unite all of Africa into a single union. I tried it as Egypt but botched it up . It seems migrating away from Egypt makes more sense than sticking around in it. No Arabs flipping your best cities :p .

Pharao's Log, 1354 ADA

After the stunning success of our new gunpowder weaponry my generals urged me to greatly expand this branch of our military. Of course I gladly obliged. More DAKKA!

I received reports of another plague striking my lands, starting in the region of former Ethiopia. But it turns out I'm such a splendid ruler that the effects of this supposed mass extinction are barely noticable given how well supplied my populace is with plentiful and varied foodstuffs. Even after I cut their butter rations to instead make more guns!

Pharao's Log, 1357 ADA

Other places are taking it less well I hear, including the upstart Turks. Who even managed to lose once mighty Babylon to the sorry remains of the Caliphate who seemingly can't decide whether they're Abbasid or Rashidun.

Oh come on, I thought I was done with those pesky camelfreaks once and for all!

Pharao's Log, 1372 ADA

On their way home my troops decided on a further test of their new weaponry by using some desert-dwelling sorry remains of the former Ethiopian kingdom as target practice. Well, whatever. Literally nobody cares.

Pharao's Log, 1375 ADA

But it paid off and my generals proudly reported our musket troops are now far better trained than before. Specifically, they excel in combating other gunpowder troops. Uh, okay. Did they hand out muskets to the men, women and children of Hobya before starting their target practice? My generals suddenly became very quiet. They knew it would displease me mightily if things happened that way.

They knew I damn well would have wanted to watch the spectacle!

Pharao's Log, 1378 ADA

Meanwhile some explorers in painstaking research managaged to recover the mostly burned remains of some religious texts found in the ruins of Sana'a and proudly presented me their results. Poor fools, they shouldn't have bothered.

Spoiler :
This might seem a great event but actually it's quite useless. Divine Right obsoletes the Great Library so I don't intend to ever get the tech. Perhaps very late as it is prerequisite for the Versailles wonder.

Pharao's Log, 1387 ADA

The whore of Babylon is at it again. But at least the name stays mostly the same, unlike with Jerusalem-Arru-something-Alhowdoyoupronouncequds.

Turkey meanwhile is taking more of the former Arab land but wisely decided to settle further east instead of challenging the fishing grounds of Aksum like Sana'a did. I guess the ruins left behind by my bombards were a suitable warning!

Pharao's Log, 1390 ADA

Oh COME ON!

VROOP VROOP VROOP...

The blue box gently materialized on well-worn stone, once slick with the blood of human sacrifice but now in disrepair with wild weeds and ferns sprouting from the cracks running through it in a complex pattern. The door slid open and a tall figure clad in a brown coat strode out, his face beaming with childlike excitement.

At last, the Doctor entered the scene.

"Next stop, the discovery of America", he announced to the empty air behind him where usually a companion, usually young, British and smoking hot, followed. But no such person was with him now. It wasn't that long since he lost Rose and it would be a while longer until he could connect with another person again. But still, his need to deliver exposition, ramble and appear oh so smart didn't subside and thus instead he talked to the empty air. It is a period of time in the Doctor's history rarely talked about because it is rather sad.

Also, quite a bit creepy.

"You're gonna love this one, it's a great time full of wonder, exploration and excitement. Well, except for the slavery part. Couple wars and other assorted cruelties. Bit of genocide too, less than could have been if only because various diseases were faster." A rueful look came over his face, but it quickly faded to be replaced by his former enthusiasm, though perhaps a bit less honest than before. "Still, an exciting time!"

He spread his arms wide and took a deep breath, relishing the unmarred fresh air mixed with the fragrants of sea and jungle. But then his excitement was once again supplanted, this time by puzzlement.

"Wait a second..."

Alert eyes roamed over his surroundings. Where a bustling civilization should be he only saw empty streets and collapsed structures, a once great city turned a withered garden. The Chichen Itza, a timeless monument to the ingenuity of the Mesoamerican people, stood abandoned and halfcomplete, now plundered like a quarry to use its plentiful pieces of cut stone to supply other structures, the few buildings still showing signs of inhabitation. Thick layers of salt glistened on the seaward walls, where the breeeze and waves blew a steady spray of water in. Whatever caused this downfall, it happened a long time ago.

It was a hall of the dead.

"It can't be..." The Doctor hurried back inside the TARDIS, checking its readings. "1402? That's almost a hundred years too early. Why did you bring me here?" A gentle hum was his only answer. He couldn't make sense of the data provided by his instruments. It was IMPOSSIBLE.

"How, how could this... Who..." Then at last his eyes fell on the horizon, beheld a fleet of sleek three-mast vessels about to make landfall and the flag flying at their top.

It's aliiiiive!!

And still hilarious :lol:

Oh, a new reader. Welcome :)

Yeah, I slacked off a little and now decided to give it a bit more of a story that will start to develop in the next update with the involvement of the Doctor.

:rotfl::rotfl:
Welcome back to the land of the living.

Pharao's Log, 1402 ADA

The Egyptian fleet came with a massive army striking at the Inca to the south who could not withstand steel and gunpowder and were slaughtered in a horrifying display of Egypt's military might. Only a few who fled into the impassable mountains further south managed to evade the carnage. But then the Egyptian general brokered a ceasefire for only a token tribute and their army just scattered into the wind without claiming any territory. It made no sense!

Spoiler :
Just used the conquerors event to farm a bit of XP for the next Great General then disbanded all land units over there. I didn't feel it necessary to hold any cities in the Americas at this point.

Pharao's Log, 1411 ADA

"Who the hell are these people?" the Doctor wondered as he observed the Egyptians as they played bowling with prototype grenades while slinging quotes of what sounded like the American Declaration of Independence in ancient Egyptian.

"Excuse me" the Doctor said as he approached the captain of one of their ships, showing him his psychic paper. The seaman raised what would have been his right eyebrow if he had any hair about him, but then nodded. "Yes sir. How can I help you?"

"Oh, I was just wondering if you could elucidate me a bit on who you are and what Egypt is like nowadays. I'm sure a lot has changed since I last saw it." Dark were the thoughts and clouds on his mind as he pondered what might have unhinged history like this.

"Oh, of course, glad to tell. We are a free republic with an absolute ruler, the God-King Pharao."

A choking noise came from the direction of the Doctor.

"People say he once was the offspring of the sun-god Ra, but now he is the one true god of Christendom. Used to be it was the sole state religion, except up north in Jerusalem where we had a couple Buddhists, but recently he allowed us free choice of religion throughout the empire, though it's mostly other monotheistic sects that squabble over details like whether Dat Ass of Maria was firm and round like an apple or had a bit of pleasant squishiness to it. Well, that's theology for you."

Pharao's Log, 1423 ADA

The sailors were huddled in a circle, talking excitedly about a wide number of topics including politics, gossip and elephant polo. The Doctor soon found they were reading a newspaper, the first of its kind actually. A massive war had broken out in Europe over another schism in the Christian faith. Only Egypt remained untouched given its acceptance of all ways to venerate His Pharaonic Stupendousness.

Pharao's Log, 1455 ADA

"This can't be happening," the Doctor muttered in disbelief. Everything was a jumble and made no lick of sense.

"Excuse me," he adressed the captain. "I need to return to Egypt to meet this Pharao and need to take that blue box over there with me. Can you do that?" Travelling by TARDIS would be faster, but he needed time to reflect on things and learn from the locals anyway. And if the timestream was as fractured as he feared it was he couldn't risk taking the TARDIS. Whatever power he was dealing with, it left horrible fallout in its wake.

"Sure sir, we can do that. We'll make for the enclosed sea and then through the Suez canal. We've got orders to take up a cargo of marble from the Nile area and bring it a couple thousand miles south to the capital. Seems they're planning a couple more grand structures for the God-King Pharao's glory."

"Alright then let's go... Wait, did you say a couple THOUSAND miles?"

Pharao's Log, 1473 ADA

"THIS ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT BE HAPPENING!" he called out for the twentieth or so time during their journey(it actually was far more often than that, but three different sailors were keeping count and couldn't quite agree on the exact number). The last outburst was after he read a newspaper detailing the implementation of the scientific method in centers of research all about the vast expanses of the Egyptian Empire and their budding development of what to him sounded like 19th century biology. The newspaper in fact was delivered by a wizened old prophet from Yebu who had joined them on their journey and just couldn't shut up about the La Mezquita in Abdju.

"So the capital of Pharaonic Egypt is in southernmost Africa. Their very first settlement in fact as they tracked south for generations at the dawn of human civilization. Also, this." His gaze wandered towards a strangely familiar and distinctly askew tower, only the round marble structure was clearly intended to be this way for no discernable reason at all. A few blocks ahead he saw the foundation of what unmistakably would shape up to become the Sistine Chapel with time. Thankfully he was already past the point of screaming and ripping out his hair.

Arriving at the twin-palace structure - seeing the Apostolic Palace here only mildly surprised him by now - he announced to the guards his intention to meet the Pharao and showed them his psychic paper. The guards immediately stood at attention. "Forgive me, Royal Ass Inspector, I didn't recognize your lordship." A coughing fit came over the Doctor. "If you'll wait in the antechamber please, his highness will soon the ready to see you."

"It's impossible, absolutely impossible," the Doctor kept saying as he paced up and down the room like he was intent to wear through the rich carpet. "The Exodus? A century or more ahead in technology? America? And this weird jumble of architecture from around the world in a place that shouldn't even be properly settled before the colonial time? I can't imagine what could have caused this."

He rounded on the empty air where his imaginary companion - yes, we know, it is really quite sad - apparently had said something. "No, you don't understand, it's not just a matter of some random time traveler messing around and then things butterflying out of control, things don't work like that. The discovery of America is A FIXED POINT IN TIME. It is bound to happen in 1492 no matter what, at best there is some flexibility whether the ships sail under the Spanish or Italian flag. And these fixed points can't be changed or prevented. We Timelords knew that. Even their Daleks at the height of their madness and power didn't dare temper with them. So who could even attempt such a thing. Who... who..."

The story has taken a turn for the even more hilarious :rotfl:

dear god i hope this isnt dead, that was glorious

Hey guys :) I'm still around, just had a good bout of CivIV fatigue, played it quite excessively while writing this story. Learned a whole lot while doing so too and got a whole lot better at the game so I notice quite a few mistakes in the coming updates(played up to the 18th century almost a year ago, just never finished writing things down). But no matter, I intend to finish this.

Subbed. This is wonderful. Somehow gets better and better as time passed. More please!!!

I'll have to give it a go on version 1.14 (I still haven't upgraded yet.)

It'll be interesting to see how you handle the Dutch or English if they come looking for diamonds in the next century or so....

So I tried this in version 1.14....

....grew to size 2 and collapsed instantly. One of the shortest games of Civ ever, it lasted 6mins.

Top Bottom