[RFC] Half Orange - The Dutch conquer the southern hemisphere!

nody

Emperor
Welcome to my third and newest story on this forum.

As a (proud) Dutchman myself I really appreciate my nation being playable in Civilization VI, especially in RFC, were I can found cities like Nieuw Amsterdam (New York) and Kaapstad (Cape Town) on the historical spots.

In this game I will try to get control of all the land south of the equator, from Brazil to Cape Horn, from Angola to Cape of Good Hope and of course from Indonesia to Australia and New Zealand.

This is going to be a huge challenge, since I will only have 1 city in Europe, Amsterdam. Luckely this city will grow very large very fast and will be very productive.

Also:
Unique Unit: East Indiaman which replaces the galleon.
Unique Power: Ships can enter rival territory without open borders.

Episode I: Galleys and crossbowmen

We start at war with the Vikings, like half of the starts. I could easily go conquer Oslo, but we are focused on the south, so no Euro-wars...
Our second settler is already heading south to find new habitable lands.

Spoiler :

We wanted to found a colony called Kaap Mount, but the Mali beat us to the punch...

Spoiler :

We settled Ardra instead (present-day Benin), which has 2 elephants and 1 gems.
But the native Impi's were too much for our crossbowman.

Spoiler :

We discover the southern tip of Africa, which will be called 'Kaap de Goede Hoop'.

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, we build cottages to represent the cities of Brussel and Hamburg.

Spoiler :

We send a new settler to the Ardra-site with reinforcements.

Spoiler :

Luckely the first barbarians are garanteed wins, so we kill a camel archer and war elephant with a longbowman and a crossbowman.

Spoiler :

We sail along the south Asian coastline and discover a new civilization, the Khmer. Which will become our rivals for Indonesia later in the game...

Spoiler :

A great mediator have brokered peace between us and the Natives so their Impi's won't bother us anymore. The barbarians from the north, however, keep coming as flies to sh*t.

Spoiler :

We get a good deal from the French.

Spoiler :

We meet the Chinese and 'crazy eyes' Tokugawa.

Spoiler :

We boost our research with an academy.

Spoiler :

Our first caravels are ready to explore.

Spoiler :

Our first (and maybe last) wonder, which will boost our great people rate even more.

Spoiler :

As any RFC player knows, if you want 'Incan' conquerers you must be carefull. So our caravels avoid the Incan workboat until we reach Cape Horn.

Spoiler :

And YES! The South-Equatorian Dutch Empire is being born.

Spoiler :

Until the next episode.

Nicely done, as the Netherlands I always manage a vast South African empire, but my massive culture rates always end up netting me much of northern Europe - I cant help it if the Germans and Vikings want to be Dutch!

I'm guessing you'll go for the 2/3 UHV GA which is quite easy as the Dutch, just get first city in Australia and most revealed map in 1600.

Episode II: The race for Brazil

In this episode we conquer the Inca's and settle our first cities south of the equator.

Colonizing Brazil is tricky, because the Portuguese and French want the territory too.
We manage to colonize at least the historical Dutch Brazil (northern coast), but we will have to conquer the rest of SA later.

To our surprise, we are also the first to discover the Aztecs and recieve another set of conquerers.

Spoiler :

We quickly capture Mexico City and raze the other cities, which are at terrible locations. Coyuca on deer and Tampico on the corn.

Spoiler :

Our first caravel meets our galley which is now at Kamtchatsky and we get a +1 movement bonus. Also, we almost conquered the Inca's.

Spoiler :

THIS is what I was trying to avoid with my first caravel.

Spoiler :

We declare war on the Natives again.

Mbanza Kongo is auto-razed by our crossbowman and we send a settler to rebuild a new city.

Spoiler :

That means the American Natives are also now our enemies.

Spoiler :

We discover Australia.

Spoiler :

Our elephants at Ardra are a good commodity.

Spoiler :

We discover Astronomy and upgrade the galleys to East Indiamen.

Spoiler :

Our explorer in North America is still standing after an attack by raging Dog Soldiers.

Spoiler :

We rush to build a settler to begin colonizing Brazil before the Portuguese or French get it. We need a strong position in South America.

Spoiler :

We send our 'Incan' conquerers to South Africa.

Spoiler :

We colonize eastern Brazil and as you can see, the Atlantic is already crowded.

Spoiler :

We capture Quelimane and raze Mombasa.

Spoiler :

We capture Chichen Itza with one Jaguar left from the Aztec conquest.

Spoiler :

Our first city we found in South Africa is Winburg, because Portugal and England usually found a city there. It also will become the most productive city of the Empire.

Spoiler :

We end this episode with a OMG! Look what happened!

Spoiler :

We won't have any trouble conquering THAT part of Indonesia.

There will be a next episode soon! :goodjob:

Episode III: The sun never sets in the Dutch Empire

In this episode we conquer our first East-Indian island of Java, we capture Singapore and lose it again and we take advantage of Portugal NOT being a vassal of a mayor power and conquer the rest of Brazil.
Also we found the first city in Australia that will trigger our first Golden Age!

We declare war on Khmer and destroy the one warrior that defends Jayakarta. The city is renamed Batavia, which will probably become our largest city in time.

Spoiler :

To scare off our neighbours in Europe, we sign a defensive pact with the smaller, but very powerfull British Empire.

Spoiler :

We capture Singapore and later almost Phuket, but the Khmer's Ballista Elephants force us to sign peace in order to secure Singapore.

Spoiler :

We found our first city in Australia and finally acquire iron.

Spoiler :

Because we achieved two historical goals we have our first Golden Age!
The Trumphial Arch in Amsterdam not only brings extra culture, it also brings 50% extra military production.

Spoiler :

We declare war on Portugal to expand our borders in South America.

Spoiler :

We found the city of Huaxyacac to get an ocean passage in Meso-America. Now our travel to Australia from Amsterdam will be much shorter. That's the only reason.

Spoiler :

The Cape Colony is born!

Spoiler :

Willem to Joao: "Brazil is ALL MINE NOW!"

Spoiler :

Meanwhile, the Mali and Khmer joined together and mutually declared war on us.
We lose Singapore, but the Mali never threatened us.

Spoiler :

The Mali are willing to pay 25 gold for peace and we take it, meanwhile a couple of people from Ardra found a fort nearby to establish a Dutch Gold Coast.

Spoiler :

Our war with Portugal ends with the capture of their part of Madagascar.
The French colonized the south, but that's the only eye-sore in Africa for now...

Spoiler :

Our stability was weakened by the wars and Quelimane declares independence. Luckely we have a couple of knights and a cannon left to recapture it.

We end this episode with the birth of the Republic of Seven United Netherlands.

The first free nation, where anyone can say and believe what they want.

Spoiler :

Can we stay ahead of the British and colonize Australia, New Zealand and New Guinea?

We'll see next episode...

Even with the easiest civ to play in RFC, this has got to be a really hard challenge. If you lost a city to the Khmer, try fighting Spain to conquer the rest of South America, and France to get Madagascar...

Episode IV: A good run, better next time

With a heavy heart I tell you how it all ended... at the hands of Napoleon.

We succesfully colonize all of South Africa. Even 2 non-coastal cities: Potchefstroom in the middle desert and Pietersburg in northeast. (Not in this picture)

Spoiler :

We manage to colonize almost half of Australia, half of New Zealand and a (I think) what is half of Indonesia.

Spoiler :

Then the deciding moment: A congress decides that the French should get Winburg and I refuse to give it up after we already given up Diego Suarez to the Portuguese. France and Spain (with vassal-Portugal) declare war as expected, but we also have a defensive pact with England AND Germany. But sadly, Napoleon conquers Amsterdam within 2 turns with their superior infantry units (only civ so far with those units).

I thought, oh well, we could easily manage without Amsterdam, BUT THEN...

we get exiled to Mongolia! :eek:

Spoiler :

Sorry, if anyone wanted to see this through, but I quitted after that. I had to take Amsterdam back with Mongolia without coastal cities and without open borders with Germany (who controls all of Russia).

I lost this time, but I came very far. :goodjob:

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0070.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,001
  • Civ4ScreenShot0080.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0080.JPG
    150.7 KB · Views: 999
  • Civ4ScreenShot0085.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0085.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 1,000
How many cities did you have overall? I'm surprised it wasn't a collapse that triggered defeat.

Next time I play RFC, I'm gonna be especially mean to Napoleon for ruining such a good story.

How many cities did you have overall? I'm surprised it wasn't a collapse that triggered defeat.

At LEAST 35 cities.
1 in Europe, 12 in S.-America, 11 in Africa, 9 in Austrasia and 2 in Mexico.

Ever heared of 'resettlement'? Every city founded gives stability.

Also, I've build courthouses and lighthouses almost immediately in each new city and I had a Summer Palace in Winburg.

Next time I play RFC, I'm gonna be especially mean to Napoleon for ruining such a good story.

I was tired of the game anyway... :p

Yeah but the stability you get mostly doesn't help with the overall instability the city brings due to so many cities and their distance.

Resettlement is the most underrated civic in RFC. People don't realize that all these founded cities add up to the total stability and you never lose these points, whereas viceroyalty only gives four points per vassal as long as you use it. So there really is no point using viceroyalty when you are colonising new areas. My Japan story benefit greatly from the use of resettlement, not to mention the whole empire challenges, which wouldn't be possible without it.

Keep playing. I've haven't seen exile yet, and I didn't know of this feature until now.

Exile means I was now leader Willem van Oranje of Mongolia and Kublai Khan was leader of the Netherlands.

I wouldn't have any chance of recapturing Amsterdam with Mongolia within 100 years and I think
I wouldn't get 100 years time to do it.

Bad call on refusing the Congress tbh.

Abit of a Neville Chamberlain move diplomatically.

Top Bottom