[RFC] Men of the North

T. Claudius

Chieftain
Men of the North
[RFC Warlords | Difficulty: Viceroy]
Note: I'm not trying to achieve historical accuracy in this game, merely have fun. If I choose names of historic figures it is just for flavor. No, I don't think Ragnar's ship was named Odin's Raven, and no, I don't think he had a brother named Olaf.

Part 1, Rise of the Norse

If Ragnar was to rise at dawn, his day would be very short indeed...
Lit only by the dying embers of scattered camp fires he scanned the rolling dark sea for signs of any ships. Ragnar and his band of explorers, mercenaries, merchants, and their families had been shipwrecked on this rocky crag above the waters of the frigid Atlantic.
A few boats had survived, but not enough to carry all of his fleet down south where the lands were more favorable and days warmer.

He heard the footfalls of leather boots approaching behind him.
"Ragnar... our people our tired," said Olaf, Ragnar's younger brother, coming up alongside him. "They have lost their faith in the sea. they wish to travel no longer... settle down. Here."

"This is no place for men to live, Olaf," replied Ragnar, without turning. "The sea is harsh, cold, and unyielding. The mountains hard and bare... unsuitable for farming or feeding people."

"We have spotted deer yonder the ridge... game is plentiful enough," replied Olaf, however with less heart than before. Once his brother made up his mind there was no changing it.

Ragnar turned around to the people huddling around makeshift fires. "What are you lot sitting around for? We are the men of the North, Vikings! We do not sit around waiting for things to happen... We do them ourselves!"

A few men, believing that he meant that they would start building their settlements here smiled.
"Shall we start fellings trees then, sir?" asked one.

"And carry them all the way with us? I think not!" replied Ragnar.

Men frowned. "Whatever do you mean?" asked Harald, an old but still strong man, one of Ragnar's father's warriors.

"We will move east, beyond the mountains where the land is better," he said.

"We are tired, we have came a long way... We wish not to travel further," complained Freydis, Olaf's wife.

"You may moan now... but you will thank me later," Ragnar added as his people begun to move. And added under his breath, "And It's a good thing it's me leading this tribe and not you."

"Our warriors will board the ships will me... We will go south to seek new lands and peoples. Women, children, and the elderly... pack your belongings, for we move at dawn."

He then turned to his brother beside him. His brother was a good head shorter than him, and unlike Ragnar, dark haired with deep blue eyes the color of the sea.

"Olaf, can I trust you with a task of the greatest importance?"

"You know you can, Ragnar," replied Olaf with utmost confidence.

"Good," said Ragnar. "I want you to take your warriors... and guide our people to a new home where we can live and prosper."

Olaf frowned. "You do not wish me fighting alongside you?"

"Olaf, I could trust no other to this task... I will miss you, but we will be back, I can guarantee that."

Olaf nodded, "I shall carry out my duties to all of my ability." His tone was sorrowful, but sill sincere.

Ragnar smiled, causing Olaf to smile, and the brothers briefly embraced. Ragnar than turned and headed down to the docks where the ships lay in waiting.

Ragnar's Boat, the Odin's Raven.

To be continued... eventually.

'm assuming you're going to England? Be sure to raze Iverness, then resettle it when the English can't flip it. Oh, and England is west of Scandinavia. :D

No, my settlers are going east into Sweden because Nidaros as a city location totally sucks. The boats are going west. :)

And in regards to Inverness I'm going to actually keep it until Lizzie comes, I'll just build troops in it and whip it a lot.

Oh. I assumed there were settlers in the boats. But Sweden is better than Nidaros.

Top Bottom