[RFC] Russia, From the Balkans to Oregon.

That's why I build the Forbidden Palace, to counter maintenance costs. And when I'm in central Siberia I will quickly build a Summer Palace.
Later in the game I will adopt State Property. Actually, I will aim my research on that.

But it's all about balance. I build settlers, mostly in Moskva, but also markets, courthouses, banks, etc.

For all the new cities in Siberia I have the same building que: walls, castle, theatre, forge, courthouse. That's what any city MUST have before building anything else.

This game I'm very advanced, because I restrained myself in expansion.
Most earlier games with Russia I managed to settle 7 cities in Siberia BEFORE 1700 AD. At that time I didn't even had banking yet.

I am watching this with interest, because I've also tried creating Russia to the full extent (to Vladisvostok and Kamchatka, at least) a few times, and your game is using a very different strategy to what I have done. I'm anxious to see how it works.

I usually have only five cities west of Urals when I build my 7 Siberian ones. So I'm also worried you are going to kill your economy/research, as I said before. But, I'll see how it goes for you.

Also, are you sure you want to invest time and hammers into walls/castles in Siberia? Best, I think, to never let the Keshiks near your cities, using roads and pikemen. I usually start Siberian cities with granary > courthouse, but I guess that's because I am ultra-paranoid about stability. :crazyeye:

I usually start Siberian cities with granary > courthouse, but I guess that's because I am ultra-paranoid about stability.

Yes, you are. I'm solid/very solid now for almost 2 centuries.

And I'm as far as Bodajbo (near the gold on hills).

But maybe that's because of the Forbidden Palace, which is a very great stability 'creator'.

Also, maybe you should look at this page:

http://rhye.civfanatics.net/wiki/index.php?title=Rhye%27s_and_Fall_of_Civilization_stability_maps#Russia

Russia can expand into Kamchatsky, Alaska and even Cuba! without hurting stability.

In this episode we drive the Mongols out of Kazakhstan. We finally reach the renaissance and do some serious expansion eastwards. Maybe too serious, because we change very solid in the 18th century to collapsing in the 19th century.

We meet the Chinese again after having lost contact for a century.

Spoiler :

We have a little breakthrough in our race for cuirassiers.

Spoiler :

I decide to check our progress on the graphics-screen and look at our ratings!

Culture:
Spoiler :

Crops:
Spoiler :

Goods:
Spoiler :

Total score:
Spoiler :

- We change to pacifism to get some great people. 'Cause we need a Golden Age!

We decide we have enough force to invade the terrible city of Balkhash.

Spoiler :

Downside of 'Russian' winter...

Spoiler :

BURN BABY, BURN!!!!

Spoiler :

Oops, didn't notice those are back...

Spoiler :

The Mongols burn my least important city Novij Port. So no tears about that.

We capture Karamay.

KGB-headquarters is founded in 1745 (still medieval Russia).

Spoiler :

Kublai replies: If you don't give it back, we'll take it back.

Spoiler :

You say you have some spices for me from Brazil, where the hell is that?

Spoiler :

Time to steal some tech (we infiltrated Berlin earlier).

Spoiler :

We make peace with Kublai, because we have to concentrate on expansion in the east and economic buildings in the west and middle (later).

Spoiler :

We steal a additional sum of money from the germans to afford our expansion costs.
I love Great Spies and the closeness to Germany where they spawn.

Spoiler :

And there he is, the great man from the mysterious land across the ocean.

Spoiler :

And as expected, after the spawn of America, our first congress. No real flips, only some native and independent cities are being exchanged.

Spoiler :

Arabia collapses and Egypt emerges... quite high also.

Spoiler :

Too bad, but that's the price I pay for being big an backwards.
Spain is also big, but they have the Spiral Miranet AND the University of Sankore in Madrid!

Spoiler :

YES! Pacifism pays off, we get our first Golden Age!

Spoiler :

We let this settler wait until we have astronomy, because then we get a free forge and start size 3.

Spoiler :

Dutch Venezuela, if it only where real... (yes, I'm Dutch)

Spoiler :

And there it is, the most important tech to make our further expansion ambitions possible. (resettlement, better cities when founded).

Spoiler :

Thank you Turkey for helping me annex Afghanistan.

Spoiler :

Unbelievable, in all the land we have, there is no marble to be found, so we turn to the Turks. We need marble for the Summer Palace.

Out of nowhere, we meet Gandhi. Apparently ruler of a nation called India.

Spoiler :

Never knew horses could be so lucrative.

Spoiler :

Have noticed the stability icon going down? I have and thinking about what to do about it. I'm building a lot of markets, grocers, banks and it won't help.

Maybe I should give partially Afghanistan to the Indians... I think I overstepped the bounderies there a little bit.

Will Russia survive this crisis? We'll see next time.

You have way too many cities. Unless you have police state/nationhood and state property, this is not advisable, even if you're on home turf, much less conquests like Afghanistan. You can't get a Triumphal Arch (due to having lost 2 cities already) so my advice is to spam courthouses and go for constitution for jails. Your number of cities is not high enough that giving away a city will boost your stability.

Majority of cities already have courthouses, but why are jails so important?
Are they as good as security bureaus?

Anyway, gave a city away and still not collapsed, because everytime I found a city I get extra stability points (resettlement).

Check civics at the economy screen (press F2)
Kinda good job till there, will be a pity if you collapse.

Graet story.I just played Russia yesterday and won the uhv (monarch) so I appreciate your story to see a completely different approach

In this episode we are just in time to colonize Kamchatsky-peninsula before it is 'drowned' in Japanese culture. America wants to be our 'slaves' and we recover our stability. We also lose two mayor western cities from congresses.
Also, Spain, France and England (and vassals) declare war on us twice! Luckily we have Germany as a powerfull ally to protect our musketmen with their infantry.

So no cities are being captured... expect for the Indians. Gandhi proves to be a badass aggressor in this game, even after I gave him one of my cities (Kandahar) for stability reasons.

Also, this gonna be my last episode, because I grown tired of this game and I want to start a new challenge which I'll post shortly.

Where were we?

Right, we lose our first city in a congress. We can't afford a war with germany. Infantry against musketmen, need I say more? NO!

Spoiler :

We also had a galleon in Klaipeda (now Memel). Guess where that went?

Spoiler :

Lincoln knocks on Stalins door and begs for protection. Lot of Russians would like this picture, especially in the 1980's.

Spoiler :

We discover the area which was supposed to become "Krepost Rus".
I challenge everyone to try this with Russia. Found a city on Vancouver or Seattle-site.

Spoiler :

We found our last possible city on the arctic coastline. Cities on ice and/or with sea-ice-coast are just not allowed. Only tundra-plots adject to at least one water-square are allowed. So this is the end for northern expansion.

Spoiler :

We finally reach the 'Pacific Coast', at least the closest we are to it.

Spoiler :

Samarkant declares indepence. You remember that city we conquered in the beginning when it was reconquered by barbs and then joined our illustrous empire couple of turns later. It now decided our country is to unstable to stay loyal to us. We disagree!

Spoiler :

Spain, England and France joined forces and declared war on us, luckely we had a defensive pact with Vikings AND THEY had one with Germany so we have a new ally, Germany! I believe by now they already have infantry units...

Spoiler :

We discover rifling, finally, when Mongolia collapses... guess where we are gonna send our Cossacks?

Spoiler :

We still have a lot of upgrading to do.

Spoiler :

We did just fine with our cuirassiers over here.

Spoiler :

Spoiler :

We finally reach the end of our journey through Siberia, Kamchatsky!

Spoiler :

Now you know why I'm building markets, groceries and banks in ALL my cities.

Spoiler :

Not even CLOSE to domination victory... but closer than the rest.

Spoiler :

For stability-sake we decide to let China have this territory, like they have in real life. But Karamay, which is also Chinese nowadays, stays Russian.

Spoiler :

We just made peace with them (Spain and England), now they joined forces with India and declare war. We were to busy in (what used to be) Mongolia to notice.

Spoiler :

Our story ends with the capture of Ulaan-Ude, the last Mongolian stronghold.
Just look at the mini-map what the end-result is...

Spoiler :

I challenge anyone who thinks he can do better than this. Think of the research-penalty I had to endure. Maybe some tech-stealing can ease the pain, but you need above all things to be a very good diplomat to become this big. Remember, no cossacks before the 1900's. Maybe you can do better?

If you want the savegame, PM me.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=189016&d=1221786990

You can probably do a lot better if you built fewer cities initially, get your research up, and then filled in the cities you want to build later on.
I think a better way that Rhye can mirror the real world is to eliminate the science penalty for number of cities in the modern age. After all, more cities may be destabilizing for a medieval empire, but the modern bureaucracy with its spies and computers and satellites can easily deal with more cities.
This coming from a conquest-oriented player, of course.

Well that was when multiple Olympic Parks were possible and when the increase in stability from liberating/giving away a city when you have lots of cities was MUCH larger than it is now. (Conquests are still possible though)
Still, the same principles applies: 10-12 cities is best for science and stability, and then when you have vassals and nationhood/police state/state property you can expand more.

Why does France have a city in Tasmania?

A little history-lesson:

The city is called Havre Macquarie and also like other sites in Australia the French where exploring there at the same time as the British were founding their first colonies there. The British were just in time to claim all of Australia and block the French out.

So they founded it and didn't get it through congress? Interesting.

They also often settle New Zealand and southern Australia.

Melbourne will be called 'Terre Napoléon' if the French settle it. Pretty cool.
Just look at the civcitynamemanager in python.

Interesting story, and a kinda good incarnation of the USSR. Sad you did not get Communism at time XD

Top Bottom