[RFC Synthesis] - The Alternative History of Maya

heitorcccp

Chieftain
Hey people! I'm coming up with a brand new story for your appreciation :D

For first, many thanks for the over than 150 visits my previous story, The Alternative Story of France, received :goodjob:

And now I'm coming with another historical modification, this time in an even weirdest way - if not playing a great game again, let's at least get a good story from it.

Since learning form the first experience - and mainly, from your very helpful comments, I've modified a few things in both gameplay and publishing of this story.

Critics and suggestions warmly welcomed, and now, let's proceed to the First Chapter!

“These therefore are first words, First speech” Popol Wuj

First, it was only the void.

This void was inhabited by Kukulkan and Tepeu, who wanted to see their legacy preserved forever.

“First therefore was created
Earth,
Mountains, valleys,
Divided were its paths water,
Made their way were their branches
Among mountains. Xo'l taq juyub'.
Merely divided then existed water,
Then were revealed great mountains.
Thus its creation earth this,
Then it was created by them” Popol Wuj

But it needed living forms to truly fulfill the gods’ desires.
And then the animals were born
But something were still missing
And a new living form was created from mud, a life designed to retain a soul.
It ended badly, as that poor mud couldn’t stand the first rain it saw.
The noble wood of forests was used as the new element to produce the thinking form of life
But the carved wood couldn’t think, because it hadn’t neither soul nor brains.

Then, The Feathered Serpent, who brought the sacred grains of maize, tried to use it to form the supreme living being.

And this came to fruition.

Humans were born to thrive in this new world
Their saga was just beginning.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0487.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0487.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,407
  • Civ4ScreenShot0489.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0489.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 1,421
  • Civ4ScreenShot0490.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0490.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 1,383
  • Civ4ScreenShot0491.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0491.JPG
    170.3 KB · Views: 1,363
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 1,438
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,424
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 1,437
Have you already played this game? the Mayans can get quite dull sometimes.

As long as you get the big 4 in America you should be fine :D

Yay mayans! If you colinize Japan, can you put a sign up that says area 11 :D

Subbed. Great start.

Not completely, but i'm not faring that bad :D

I've played it a number of times in the past, and, yes, its almost annoying :mad:

But just wait and see:D, I'm trying new stuff.

The mayans are fun to play. Are there any differences between mayans in RFC and mayans in DoC? I haven't played them in DoC yet...

Edit: Woah, where'd that quote come from?!

Subbed, this looks great so far :)

Synthesis? Interesting...

EDIT: Hey, 2500th post! :mischief:

What is the general victory plan? 2/3 UHV, Domination, Space :)? The sooner you get the calendar to sooner we can keep track by years not by turns!

What is the general victory plan? 2/3 UHV, Domination, Space :)? The sooner you get the calendar to sooner we can keep track by years not by turns!

Getting calendar before 600 AD would satisfy the first UHV. The second could be ignored if you could raise enough troops against the Aztecs and whoever gets the conquistadors. No cities lost = golden age.

I actually just finished a game as Maya, and yeah as long as you settle Tenochtitlan and the Awesome Triangle in America you'll be fine (Tenochtitlan peacefully flipping to Aztec does not count as losing a city for the UHV). Just make sure you deter the conquerors...

First, thanks for all views and suggestions! :D

About the UHV's, these are objectives I rarely pursue in RFC games, first because my gameplay is normally tuned to mid and long term strategy, and second because if the pursue to some of these UHV is foiled, the pursue to another types of victories is messed up as well. To not lose a city and to build that Kukulkan temple are reasonable targets, but I found the Calendar pursue to be somewhat bad for the gameplay, as other important technologies have to be delayed - and Calendar doesn't provides you better soldiers to fight off Aztecs or the conquerors.

Anyway, as you'll find from this new chapter, my strategic plan is far different than the conventional one for the Mayans - there are another ways to get rid from Aztecs than beating them :lol:

Another day in the life of Yak Balam, the High Diviner of his tribe, was coming to an end as the sun was hiding behind the peaks of Chiapas; but his feelings were strange today, keeping him wary for the entire day. He was receiving strange signals from their gods every day, and was eating larger amounts of sacred mushrooms to get in the gods’ minds and talk to them, seeking answers.

Then he got through the dense jungle to reach the Sacred Cenote nearby, the most sacred place for his tribe and the place believed to be their gods’ dwelling. But something very odd was happening there…

- W… what’s this? There’s fire here? Better…. No – better go inside and try to find out what’s happening..

[approaching carefully the cenote’s cave, wondering who’s the infidel which would set a fire inside]

- Someone here? – the voice of the Diviner echoed inside the cenote, with no response.

And, for his very surprise, the “smoke” appeared to be mist, as the iced vapors touched his face – it only left him even more puzzled.

-Mist…here? Without cold air even in the high mountains?....

-YAK BALAM, MY DIVINER!

-W..Wh..Who’s there?!?!

- I’m Kukulkan, the Feathered Serpent. I have an important message from Heaven to your people.

-T...The… Kukulkan? And what the Kuku…Kukulkan has to say to our humble people, My Lord? – said the still puzzled priest, still unbelieving that situation.

-The message is: THIS LAND IS NOT FOR YOURS, my Diviner! – and the mist suddenly turned to a fire breath, with shadows resembling either buildings, or rocks, or both

-These lands here offer no future to your people, Balam. You must – MUST – get out of here, and seek for better lands in the Great North, where your true heartland lies!

-Th…The Great North, sire? Nobody ever returned from there…alive…

-And you’ll not stand alive forever if just sit down here and wait the prophecies to become real. You must gather the people, and begin to search for new lands.

- You’re warned now. Take your actions and get safe, or ignore my warnings and get lost.

The Diviner of the Yucatec tribe then watched the mist and the fire to vanish instantly, and the cenote returned to its clean and empty appearance.
Then, Yak Balam ran to his tribe as fast as he could, still thinking if gods, as humans, could get mad.

-The Great North? We really need to do it? – questioned the tribesmen from Yucatan. Now, they wondered, their priest has gone entirely mad. These mushrooms definitely aren’t good for anyone to eat…

- YES, because the Feathered Serpent, Kukulkan, told me to get you on the way for our True Motherland!

-But we’re born here. Our fathers, and grandfathers, and all our ancestors came from this soil and to this soil returned. Why must we get out of here and try to survive – survive is the word – somewhere else?

- And no one even returned from there alive! -shouted another hunter nearby.

- You want all of us to die, you fool? – a furious hunter shouted from the trees.

-My people!!! Please, it was the Words from Kukulkan!!! He set fire in the cenote, and said that our future tribes would be on fire as well, if we stay here!

And then, a blinding light turned white the sky and bright the lands, followed by a huge explosion somewhere nearby, making the ground tremble. The sky remained red for hours, until night.

The following day, all the Yucatec tribe was departing their long held motherland, with their belongings on shoulders, seeking for the place suggested by their Feathered Serpent.

-Then, it’s here?

-I’m hungry and tired! This land seems to be perfect!

- We’ll settle here! It’s far enough from that damned land!

But Yak Balam was unsure about the exact location desired by Kukulkan, as he hadn’t eaten sacred mushrooms nor entered any sacred cenote for weeks. His people wanted to rest and eat, and he would use this hiatus to try another talk with the gods.

But his people hadn’t even prepared any fire pit there, when the ground started to
tremble and to break apart, swallowing trees, rocks – and people.

It was enough to show that people they were still far from their future home.

[Years after]

-And then, we are the Kaaj Xiimbal. The Walking People. Without home, without food, without...

- Shut up your mouth, sacrilegious fool! We’re searching for our destined land in the Great North! We are alive and well up to now, and we’re bound to find a new land and settle there!

-But when? We’ve walking around for years, many of our people have already died or disappeared through this tedious march… When we’ll finally settle in a ground which wouldn’t explode or swallow or burn us?

After years walking through a mostly desertic wasteland, the Yucatec people – now, the Walking Peoples – were in all-time low morale after seeing many of them dying and getting sick through the journey, and were faithless about finding green plains in that wasteland.

But their luck was about to change when the mist occulting the horizon finally was gone – and the green forests of the Northern Rocky Mountains were finally visible: what a sight for that hopeless band.

- GREEN LANDS! GREEN LANDS! FINALLY! – shouted in awe the frail Yak Balam, suddenly sure that they’ve found their promised land. He knew that his days alive were nearing their end, but at least he was allowed to see the Kukulkan promise accomplished.

- Marvelous!

- This is our land!

- We can live here forever! Its far better than the old jungles!

The tired and starved band of Mayans reached a fairly fertile, humid grassland. There was corn nearby, which Yak Balam interpreted to be the divine sign of their lands – they are not to be starved again.

As the old priest was falling into his eternal rest, his mind was fully directed to the words of Kukulkan, who said:
- You’ve guided correctly your people. I want to let them know that’s really their land, and I’ve marked it with a huge patch of corn. Now, welcome to the Eternal world, great priest!

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 1,283
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 1,255
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 1,244
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg