Rhye's Catapult

(Answering the age-old question, "Can someone be so egotistical as to quote themself?" ;) )
SilverKnight said:
Chances of a city flipping go UP with:
Total discontent
Distance from city
Total maintence costs of ALL cities (and/or total number of cities)
Barbarian attacks that make it to a city (so it's beneficial to attack barbs in the field rather than have them suicide on your defenses)
Ongoing foreign wars (more troops in enemy territory than in own territory; neutral lands count for neither)

Chances go DOWN with:
Military presence
Culture in city
Higher culture rate
Good foreign relations
Tech superiority
Glad this made sense to other people, as well; I was a little tired as I wrote it. Rhye, what do you think? Can it be coded this way? And our there any more variable that people can think of? It's obviously not set in stone.

Am just about to test v049... NOW.

SilverKnight

Rhye, yes, I see the settler_sea galleon, Vicky was fast to use it with settler + 2 longbows,
Bella keeps the galleon in harbor now... - I will follow action :)

EDIT:

Spain used it for war action against Germany

England made head to South-America and founded city in 1615 in Brazil

My Great war ended in a "draw" - I re-captured Denmark city... but no more.
Spain and Rome still in war, though, against Bismarck

Ironclads should be faster.

HMS Warrior was the first ironclad afloat, and was also the fastest ship on the seas at 14 knots on steam alone, and about 18 knots when steam and sail were used together.

Only American ironclads were slow (USS Monitor made 8 knots), but only by comparison to this. The HMS Victory only made about 9 knots in good weather. Of course, the USS Monitor was hardly seaworthy.

Current flip system is annoying. Had Jerusalem and Tyre flip to Arabia out of the blue... sort of. Had already moved most of my army out in expectation of the event. Longbows prevented the recapture... Most of the world is Christian.

Persia
Japan
India
Egypt (me)

No sign of colonization as yet (1390).

Would have posted in the above, but my computer refused to do a longer post.

SilverKnight said:
Glad this made sense to other people, as well; I was a little tired as I wrote it. Rhye, what do you think? Can it be coded this way? And our there any more variable that people can think of? It's obviously not set in stone.

I am considering this option as one of the two (the other one is the one I proposed: a popup and a war declaration).
But I want to point out that this one shouldn't be expanded more, but simplified.
With years of modding experience I've learned that more it is complicated, more it's difficult to me to implement it, more bugs will show up, and more hard the balancement will be. That's the reason for always turning your ideas down ;)

So, here we go, let's choose between:

- a popup, if player says no the new civ and another one declare war on him, if says yes flips will always occur
- Slverknight's formula (simplified) with no popup (automatic flip: no players choice)

- Slverknight's formula (simplified) with no popup (automatic flip: no players choice)

I vote for this one too.

I think both systems as proposed have merits. SilverKnight brings up a good point by asking the question should culture and military presence affect flip chances? If a city is happy and cultured as a member of the old nation, why would they wish to flip to the new? Could the flip be the result of happiness, healthiness, and culture?

Perhaps something along the lines of if new civ spawns within x squares of city, then y number of unhappy citizens result. If city then becomes unhappy it flips?

It just seems strange that a happy, cultured, productive city flips just cause some upstart comes on the scene...

Rhye's proposal also has merits though as it gives the human player a choice. Allow the flip, or enter a war....

just some random thoughts...

Eh, I can accept happy, cultured flips, so long as there is a way to stop them. Jerusalem 'flipped' under the Romans when a lot of people... aww, never mind the example, you just started me thinking about Life of Brian so I wanted to bring it up :p

I kinda like SilverKnight's formula. It seems like a more realistic balance.

Rhye said:
- a popup, if player says no the new civ and another one declare war on him, if says yes flips will always occur

Wait, why should an extra civilization declare war on you? That seems a bit much. For example, Persia was the nearest other civilization to me when I lost Jeruselem. Why would they declare war on me when they also lost cities to Arabia? Why would a civilization further away care?

The spawning civilization declaring war seems sufficent to me.

Personally, I'm really strongly against any 'no-choice' flip. Just have the new civilization declare war, give them a few extra units if you must, and call it good.

Fintilgin said:
Wait, why should an extra civilization declare war on you? That seems a bit much. For example, Persia was the nearest other civilization to me when I lost Jerusalem. Why would they declare war on me when they also lost cities to Arabia? Why would a civilization further away care?

The spawning civilization declaring war seems sufficient to me.

Also, how would AI's react to losing cities to a flip. Would AIs be given the same choice?

On another matter, which may not be the proper time to address. I have noticed that due to the shorter game length of Catapult, Cultural victories are really not possible. In a peaceful game as Spain, I had four religions present in my nation and had three cities producing 250+ culture per turn by 1800AD. But due to the later start had no chance to reach Legendary status in the cities even running Great Artist farms.

Any thoughts?

Rhye said:
it's longer than the normal game 500>445 (apart from later starts)

Right, but the Euro and American civs have no shot at a cultural victory.

Top Bottom