Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just dropping in, I never post but i've been downloading/ playing your mod since the PTW version. I must say this is by far the best mod for civ3 (I use to think DYP was, but since it seems their conquest version will never be out i lost interest). Keep up the good work and i am looking forward to the expansion pack!!! :D

FooFight2000 said:
Just dropping in, I never post but i've been downloading/ playing your mod since the PTW version. I must say this is by far the best mod for civ3 (I use to think DYP was, but since it seems their conquest version will never be out i lost interest). Keep up the good work and i am looking forward to the expansion pack!!! :D

ooh, a long-time user! :goodjob:
Well, the mod for Vanilla and PTW (v1.0) was nothing special. It was very fast and contained some interesting ideas, but it was far from being a great mod. It also contained many things that weren't mine (snoopy's terrain, kal-el's map).
The step can be seen by the feedback: that version generated 8 pages iirc. Now we are at the 100th! (for now :) )

Here's a quote from the readme. This is the only important thing that's changed.
For those who want to know how I saved half time (in industrial and modern) and why.

- There are no longer uprisings. They are a nice and realistic feature in random maps, but they have no reason to exist in a world map. In fact most of the camps are destroyed in the Ancient age, leaving some far camps that nobody will ever reach and the randomly created camps to produce the uprisings. That means having additional 300-400 units AI has to move in modern times, even with the minimum level of uprisings (8, hardcoded).
- Camps are placed in regions based on history (Asian and American plains, for example) and in strategic places in order to make some civs expansion more difficult.
- Static placement of spearmen, black-skinned spearmen, galleys, horsemen, chariots, swordsmen and warriors, and no production at all. The camps may remain empty. They contain appropriate units (horsemen are only in Asia, black-skinned spearmen are only in Africa, galleys where there was piracy, etc.)
- Script.txt was changed (the uprisings popup was deleted)

Rhye, you may want to be dangerous when using the word "black" in this context. I know there's no racism intended but some people are just enraged by any political incorrectness.

Rhye said:
umm...in italian nero=black is polite. "negro" is considered more offensive.

Tell me what words I should use in English, I'll correct now.
Anything but "black" really... Use "African", "dark-skinned", or whatever.
And just note this really isn't critical, in this case it doesn't seem that you're using it very offensive at all... It just caught my attention, that's all. =P

The same is true in English - or at least American English. 'Black' is acceptable, 'negro' is pretty much forbidden to anyone without dark skin. It's the use of 'black-skinned' that probably caught attention; you could always drop the 'skinned' - just say 'black spearmen'.

Edit: The most politically correct in American English would be 'African-American' - but that really doesn't apply in this case. Your safest route is probably just saying 'African Spearmen'.

How about African Spearmen that happen to be the color black. If someone is offended by that they will be offended no matter what!

KOC

KingOfCiv said:
How about African Spearmen that happen to be the color black. If someone is offended by that they will be offended no matter what!

KOC
There's nothing wrong with them *looking* black because, well, the people indiginous to Africa have dark skin and it's pretty offensive that they don't in the game in the first place. The only problem is to call them "black" because some people are offended by that (and others like me just get their attention caught by it.)

:lol:

There's few things quite as funny as a bunch of folks (especially 'United States Citizens (NOT Americans) of the masculine sex (not males or men) and of caucasian ethnicity (not white)') talking about how to properly talk about folks of ANY other ethnicity, nationality, or the opposite sex. Black is perfectly acceptable, as is African. Anyone who gets offended at those will be determined to get offended no matter what you write.

Yeah, I know...
I tend to post things on a whim (though I often supress the urge and delete what I started to write.) Never meant this to be such a big deal. xD

Are the Portuguese strengthened or weakened in 2.62? Hopefully they're weakened. That expansionist trait is one of the ones the AI uses best. (Or rather, it's the one that best helps the AI compensate for its shortcomings.)

Portuguese have been a little strengthened, because in too many games they get stuck in Ancient age, due to low population. And when they remain stuck they will not colonize anything. If they remain stuck together with Spain, Greece, England and France, the discover of America will happen very late, by Carthage, Rome or Germany. This shouldn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom