Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Horton said:
As it stands now, religious is as bad as expansionist and that's saying something.

I have always thought expansionist to be one of the best traits because of the high potential of free techs, settlers, and cities. But that is gone too with the removal of barbarians spawning from huts. Perhaps expansionist civs could get slightly cheaper settlers.

What about the (ottoman) Lancer soundproblem?
It's the wrong sound. I told you before...
Now, fix it in the patch!

I think that the Iroquios need to be give a bit more of a benefit, currently the americans, the Aztecs and the Mayans out research them very early on.

Sorry, but no. No changes to the settlers and to the OCN.

These are 2 factors that are distinctive of RoC. They are in since 2.0 and never changed, or they were possibly made more extreme.

No need to say the settlers cost is a very important factor for the loading times. And for getting the world populated later.

The OCN is good as it is; it's standard Civ that's broken. The largest empire SHOULDN'T be the more advanced and efficient. It should be corrupted. On the other hand, small civs (like Netherlands, Israel) must have a chance of survival and they should not be left behind in techs.

Three_Crowns said:
I have always thought expansionist to be one of the best traits because of the high potential of free techs, settlers, and cities. But that is gone too with the removal of barbarians spawning from huts. Perhaps expansionist civs could get slightly cheaper settlers.

They have more chance to get a free settler. And that is a huge advantage.

if we were going to change the settlers, and it sounds like we're not, i would suggest leaving the shields cost increasing as they currently stand, but keeping the citizen cost steady at 3. the rationale could be that as a civ progresses in technology, there's more stuff to build to take with to "the new world" whilst it's still the same number of people going...

i have to agree with Rhye on the OCN however. ROC has the first elegant solution i've found to the messed up corruption of civ 3. dunno what they'll do with civ 4, but they could do worse than pick up some tips from this mod.

my 2 cents.
EW

regarding expansionist (EXP) getting the free settler - i agree that's a HUGE advantage, particularly in this mod. BUT it's only a chance. and that's where the other civ traits crap all over EXP. would you rather be guaranteed faster workers, or extra food or cash, or just a shot at an extra tech or a settler?

an interesting thread over in the strategy articles has recently discussed this very issue. interestingly, the Diety players posting there generally agreed that EXP and MIL are the weakest traits, and i have no doubt that this is in part due to relying on the PRNG to get any benefit.

let's call it a nickel.
EW

Rhye here are some screen shots of my current game as the Iroquois, i've conquered the american east and I am finding it very good terrian (much better than the great lakes)

Attachments

• iroq.jpg
    iroq.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 172
  • cana.jpg
    cana.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 117
  • amerest.jpeg
    amerest.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 123
I've just finally got around to downloading this and reading the files and it looks great. I like the method of implementing religion. It makes a lot of sense and is simple.

I must just say one thing - by "loading times" you mean the time the computer takes to think between turns, right? I always imagined this term meant the time it took to download the mod, but having just done so I realise evidently not. Wouldn't it be better to have talked of "waiting times" or something to be a bit clearer?

Plotinus said:
I must just say one thing - by "loading times" you mean the time the computer takes to think between turns, right? I always imagined this term meant the time it took to download the mod, but having just done so I realise evidently not. Wouldn't it be better to have talked of "waiting times" or something to be a bit clearer?

So if you meant the time to download it, I should have posted a 200kb file, so that it would have been the fastest :D

I agree completely with Rhye on the OCN issue. I think it is implemented very well. I mostly agree with the settlers, the only thing I would change is making modern settlers available a little bit later so that we have a little bit more time to make a realistic colonization effort. But its ok as it is.

Oh, I'm almost done with my game as England. Rhye, I would be willing to write/revise a strategy guide for that country. Tell me if you would like me to do it.

Sure.

Try not to go past thins length
Here's Horton's original guide:

Finish off your tea, grab your red coat and get down to the shipyard, it's time to "Make the World England"

In Rhye's, England is a top tier civ that will handle beautifully no matter your play style. With a UU capable of ruling the seas and an unsinkable island fortress as a home base, the English are a rock solid contender for any victory condition.

England's traits, Commercial and Seafaring fit this civ perfectly. You're going to have to spread out and build colonies if you're going to secure the resources you'll need to compete and with the lowered OCN in Rhye's the Commercial trait is very handy at reducing corruption. Seafaring complements your Man o War UU and you'll wind up as master of the seas almost without trying.

The key to getting off to a good start for the English player is a beeline for Map Making. You simply have to keep Ireland under your control. You can fit a core of 3 cities in England itself and 2 more on the Emerald Isle but the AI will quickly settle Ireland if you don't and you'll find their cultural borders eating up your resources so get cracking on Map Making asap!

When you've got your home islands secured, you're going to want to start looking for an AI to pick on and the Vikings always make a good first victim. If you're a warmonger type pulling off D-Day a few thousand years early might be right up your alley but be ready for a fight. The Dutch tend to get boxed in by the Germans and French so they might be worth beating up on to establish a beach head.

Some good news is that the British Isles will supply you with most of the resources you'll need. Iron, Horses, Saltpeter and even Oil are right in your backyard. Just like the rest of the Euro civs however, you're going to have to work to get some rubber. As always, the West Coast of Africa is prime real estate for your rubber plantations. Pick your spot carefully and you can probably get the extra benefit of some gems or spices too.

If you can build some infrastructure at home and get a European beach head and a few colonies for resources you'll be in great position to take the seas with your Man O Wars and begin invading the AI anywhere you see fit.

England's only real drawbacks are that as an island nation, many wonders that add infrastructure will be of limited use and you're going to have plan ahead to get your troops where you want them. These are minor annoyances though and with a little luck you'll rest easy knowing the Sun never sets on the British Empire.

4/5

but RHYEEE!

Settler changes could be made without seriously changing how the mod plays: if the ancient settlers get a tad more expensive then it will slow down expansion even more. If they get cheaper with feudalism (just a bit cheaper) then it will allow mass colonization of the earth... which is what the period was famous for ;p

Keeping the modern settler prices the same, but moving them to a little further up on the tech tree to a second or third tier tech would allow time to really exploit the earth!

An idea I mentioned earlier was that the expansionist civs could recieve a slightly cheaper settler, or one that requires one less pop point, so as to be able to expand better ;p

OCN is fine; I like the fact that my empires get all corrupt!

Thanks Rhye, I will probably finish up this game and write the guide sometime next week, because there will be NO SCHOOL!!! I will be fairly busy before then and probably wont be able to play any civ.

Wow, Aeon has a new picture! I thought it was some random new person and then I saw it was him and then ... Yeah.

Aeon221 said:
OCN is fine; I like the fact that my empires get all corrupt!

Mine don't, communism all the way :)

Speaking of that, I'm playing as Rome and I've conquered all of Western and Central Europe :king: . On to Russia and the Middle East!

I got to the modern age around late 1800s BTW.

I never really liked playing as a Communist country because it prevents rushing without damaging the means of production...

I find that late game (esp in this mod) I can amass the reserves to allow me to rush whenever I want (10k usually means that, esp when you get 500GPT in cash money ;p), and I hate to give that up for reduced corruption in worthless cities.

MY Rome has the Mediterranean entirely under its control, but I basically stopped playing it out of sheer boredom... its no fun to be so strong that nothing can oppose you... so I started a new game as France ;p

I have a feeling that Rhye is going to tell us... me... to shut up about settlers this late in production. Haha, I guess its almost time for us to all start messing with his 'baby' on our own ;p

About the new pic: I bought a new book on the battle of Salamis, found out that Xerxes was Greek for the Persian title I have now and meant Ruler of Heroes... which sounded kinda cool... anyway ;p

PS: I changed everything else too! Its been an English paper week!

Please, on my knees, please, leave the settlers alone, they are fine the way they are. If anything has to change... make them cost even more, maybe in terms of support. There's a rather hefty amount of cash flowing too early, imho. I tried Portugal some days back and by doing the rush to republic trick, heavy trading (it helps to be an expansionist...) and delaying feudalism as far as possible I was able to buy settlers at a rate that I colonized the whole african west coast before any other nation attempted with the extemption of that volcanic island that is now french. High support costs would have slowed down the chain reaction of high income from trading tech, fast research and fast colonisation without crippling the population total. And I think that's realistic, what's the incentive for leaving the most developed parts of the world for some african jungle? No individual in his right mind would consider so, if not subsidized by gov... well, from a psycological pov. ?? just an idea though, as said above, in general what we have is way better already than standard rules already.

It's a matter of the AI effectively colonizing. Of course the player can effectively colonize. We're smarter than the AI is.

Exact. I don't agree with changing settlers, but even if I agreed, I wouldn't change anything because it's too late, now that the development is over and there's space only for fixes.
Messing up settlers cost wouldn't be that nice for me, as it would mean having to test loading times and to adjust the timeline. That means many test games :vomit:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom