Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rate this mod!

• I can't play Civ without this: no more loading times!

Votes: 203 66.6%
  • A good mod, but I won't play with it

Votes: 54 17.7%
  • I don't like the map

Votes: 13 4.3%
  • I don't like the terrain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • I don't like the additions

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • I don't like the rules changes

Votes: 21 6.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the victory screen for my current game at Emperor level, playing as Portugal. I am using the latest version of RoCX. Japan at this point has the most cultural points as a country. Athens leads the city cultural race. Right now I am in the process of capturing Athens.....:)

Ok, while I play the scenario, a messege comes up saying that a certain sound file is missing. If you need an screenie to help, tell me.

King Aldous XI said:
Ok, while I play the scenario, a messege comes up saying that a certain sound file is missing. If you need an screenie to help, tell me.
We have to see the error message (or more specifically the path of the missing file) to help, so a screenie would be good.

Gah. :( If its always 400 turns then this mod takes a hit for me.... I like it otherwise a lot... its gold, but the 400 turn limit isn't good for me... ah well, great job anyways :)

McM

What's the problem with it being 400 turns, are you playing on Emporer, the time frame will be right if you play on that level, at least it is for me.

McManus said:
Gah. :( If its always 400 turns then this mod takes a hit for me.... I like it otherwise a lot... its gold, but the 400 turn limit isn't good for me... ah well, great job anyways :)

McM
It's not that hard to change it yourself you know... Just peek into the editor and you should find it pretty quickly...
The mod is mostly designed around the world map with an attempt to both load quickly and be historically correct. Because of this there are 400 turns. It's really plenty in the regular version of the mod, I never bother with the random version.

Errr... I've never used editors (for civ) before.... you mean the base map editor? Where would one find the rules in that? For if its a simple thing to change, I will be extremely happy, I really like playing random games, and I really like the RoCX ruleset and units, so it would be great if I can change it easily..

McM

Havent posted here in a bit, but just to prove I am still alive (and on break ;p) here I am!

Since none of the current discussions are about things I want to weigh in on, here is something I AM interested in:

1) We are going to have to do some MaJoR changes to Civs for time periods! How are we getting graphics for all the changes?

2) Who wants to do the research on the various time periods we decide to model? Anyone near a major library (Library of Congress, NYPL, anywhere in Paris ;p) would be best!

3) Choice of time period: How are we going to choose? Lotto? Voting?

4) Who gets the final say in other tough decisions (like what the stats should be of a hotly contested unit)? Since we do not have an originator (like Rhye) working with us, I say voting... but others may disagree.

5) Is anyone a unit creator/ friends with one?

6) Who is opening the thread (and when and where?)?

7) I refuse to head a/the/any team. I'm a rebel against authority; it would kill my self image to even be considered as an authority figure ;p

8) I GOT INTO EMORY! WOOO HOOO! ;p

Aeon221 said:
Havent posted here in a bit, but just to prove I am still alive (and on break ;p) here I am!

Since none of the current discussions are about things I want to weigh in on, here is something I AM interested in:

1) We are going to have to do some MaJoR changes to Civs for time periods! How are we getting graphics for all the changes?

2) Who wants to do the research on the various time periods we decide to model? Anyone near a major library (Library of Congress, NYPL, anywhere in Paris ;p) would be best!

3) Choice of time period: How are we going to choose? Lotto? Voting?

4) Who gets the final say in other tough decisions (like what the stats should be of a hotly contested unit)? Since we do not have an originator (like Rhye) working with us, I say voting... but others may disagree.

5) Is anyone a unit creator/ friends with one?

6) Who is opening the thread (and when and where?)?

7) I refuse to head a/the/any team. I'm a rebel against authority; it would kill my self image to even be considered as an authority figure ;p

8) I GOT INTO EMORY! WOOO HOOO! ;p

My suggestions about this:

2) I can offer some feedback after you've chosen the period. Anyway, if you're using the world map, some choices are better than others: Age of Discovery, Belle Epoque, WWI or WWII. But you can always use another map. I have a small Europe in case you need.

4) You'll have to vote. With me it wasn't despotism, it was constitutional Monarchy! ;)

5) Do you remember my requests? Even with your support, nobody ever did anything I asked. All their efforts go to WH, RaR or to unfinished projects.
Don't hope that the unit creators will change their mind.

6) I think it's better if you don't open a new thread until the new year so that we don't interfere.

finished my game as arabia last night, some thoughts (big and small):

1) i achieved one-city cultural victory at turn 286 (1868 give or take) in mecca, earning a whopping 85 culture points per turn at the end. considering the AI reached 10k in mecca in another game, i think raising the limit is necessary. i could have reached 18k without any further cultural developments (ie wonders), so even 20k is probably not out of reach. that said, it might be too high for the AI, and probably has a lot to do with religious wonders (see below). assuming we modify these, i'd say 15k one-city is a stretch, but do-able.

2) the 3 islam wonders give a real cultural advantage if you can get all 3 in one city. not only are they worth a bucketload (10 culture all up - 3, 3, 4 - if i remember correctly), but they will easily hit the thousand year mark and double later. perhaps we should go through all the religious wonders and total up culture to be the same for each branch. for example, if the pyramids (the only ancient egyptian religious wonder) are worth 4, then perhaps the 3 islam wonders should be worth 2, 2, and 3 respectively - slightly more than the single wonder to account for the greater build necessary, but not so much more that it's unbalanced.

3) i wasnt pushing total civ culture, but i was pop-rushing monuments in every city as i founded/took it. so although my total civ culture was only around 23k, it could have been a lot higher if i had been going for it. that said, i've never seen an AI come close. i'd say 35k for total civ culture would be good, but that's just a guess/feel.

4) i'd agree with the other comments about reducing the domination victory conditions. in my game with germany, i had everything from london to lisbon, trondheim to constantinople, madrid to moscow and still wasnt even close. the problem isnt population, it's area. i'd lower world area to 20%, leave population higher though (40%?), as the high settler costs mean the AI is always short population (for some reason, they seem to keep around tons of extra settlers "just in case!")

5) i disagree that the primary consideration for victory conditions should be adjusted to make the AI more competitive. the sad fact is that the AI is completely non-strategic - it absolutely does not move towards any victory condition with the single-mindedness of a human. as such, we'll never be able to set victory conditions in a way that help the AI remain competitive without making it too easy for the human.

on the other hand, i have a personal dislike for the way c3c difficulty levels increase. above regent level the AI simultaneously gets bonuses in both static areas (eg corruption, production) and dynamic start (eg extra units). i'd much prefer the start bonuses to be smaller in favour of better static benefits for the AI. that way, you're not so much chasing at the higher difficulties, but rather planning and strategising to remain at parity.

6) on that note, i feel that the palace guard gives plenty of advantage to the AI to prevent early warrior rushes, and that the added penalty of no worker for the human is overkill. perhaps this should be linked to difficulty level: at regent and below, the human gets the starting worker.

7) i should also note that i absolutely love the naval movement change. i wound up in a colonial war with japan, where my singapore and australian colonies were under fierce attack, and having galleasses (galleai?) with sufficient movement to not only get there, but to search and engage in a single turn was just brilliant. it also gave japan an edge in starting the war because out of nowhere 3 ships dumped troops into australia and declared war before i could intercept their ships!

8) i also love the various unit upgrade paths. this has led to some real strategic decision-making and greater realism.

9) i couldnt hear the sound on the cavalry attack animation. i'm not sure if it was very soft relative to the defenders' sounds, or just not present. is there anything we can do to adjust this?

sorry for the longish post, hope this sparks some ideas.

EW

Not sure how accurate it is, but I read once that the AI plays to stop the human winning (not trying to win themselves). Creates an interesting paradox if we adjust the stats to help the AI's chances of winning, so we can meet the challenge of stopping them, when in fact they're really only trying to stop us winning!

Rhye said:
6) Unfortunately it can't be done unless I make a biq for each difficulty level.
Anyway it's good to see that I've killed the rush! :)

how bout going the other way? rather than giving the human back the worker, how bout taking away the AI's worker?

oh, and one more thought on the arabs. the horse archers upgraded through to cavalry, but that meant building all my ansars from scratch. since the arabs have more cash (through trading) than production power, it meant not building many at all. should the upgrade path be different, or did i miss some other unit that upgrades to ansars?

EW

Rhye, Mecca is way too powerful right now.

My sister has a game going where the Arabs have 4(!) wonders in Mecca by turn 217. It's almost triple the culture of the nearest AI city.

The Arabs in general are also still a little too powerful.

Jaguar said:
Rhye, Mecca is way too powerful right now.

My sister has a game going where the Arabs have 4(!) wonders in Mecca by turn 217. It's almost triple the culture of the nearest AI city.

The Arabs in general are also still a little too powerful.

It's a shame no one ever tries to invade Arabia early. I find that they're fairly easy to conquer.

Enkidu_Warrior said:
how bout going the other way? rather than giving the human back the worker, how bout taking away the AI's worker?

oh, and one more thought on the arabs. the horse archers upgraded through to cavalry, but that meant building all my ansars from scratch. since the arabs have more cash (through trading) than production power, it meant not building many at all. should the upgrade path be different, or did i miss some other unit that upgrades to ansars?

EW

No, some civs won't build any worker, so they must have the worker at the beginning.

Horsemen upgrade to knights, so to Ansars

Am I the only one having the game crash? I get

Missing Entry in Scenarios\Rhyes of Civilization|text\Pedialcon.txt\ANIMNAME_PRTO_Grenzer

I also got the same crash looking for a Shifta

anyone have any ideas..would appreciate it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom