Rhyes of Europe?

A while back, I extended the huge European map for a Rise of Rome scenario I was working on, so Persia would have more room to work with.

If you are interested, I can delete all the civs and city placements for you to use in this mod.

Good map, I think other civilizations could be added it, even if absent in BTS, for example as israel, and other, by users mod.

OK people. Remember we need to account for each single plot so cities names can depend on their locations.

No we don't. We only have to account for city names on plots where the civs actually expanded to. Carthage will not have special city names in England and Russia won't have any in Egypt. There will be one civ that is a headache (Rome) and the rest are fairly reasonable.

Hello,

I urge you, please dont go for huge !

There are many reasons for this :

1) target audience :
1.1)people who love RFC, but do not have the time - (Tiny-Standard Map)
1.2)people w.l.RFC, but want European flavour - (Tiny - Huge)
1.3)people who love European Maps, but would like to try the flaviour of RFC - (Tiny - Huge

so if you keep the poor chaps from 1.1 in mind then do not go for huge and in anyway you can please the other people,too

2)Efforts :

2.1) Resouce Placement - did you ever placed resources on a standard map ? It takes hours, if you want to consider accuracy as well as playability.
I am concerned that either of them will suffer if you want to spend your time on a huge one.

2.2) Naming of Cities - have you ever had a look into the naming file ? Every coordinate (that is no water) has a name for EACH civilization if the civilization ever settled there. Are you aware how many coordinates this
means on a huge setup ??

2.3) AI-Territorial Wars - the same situation each relevant coordinate has a value for each civilization

2.4) Balance - It is much easier to balance civs on small maps than on large ones.
Please understand, balance is again in terms of accuracy and playability. Civs in RFC are not the same, every civs has it's own strengths and weaknesses (you can see this in the starting menu) and this is expressed in several hidden boni and mali (on production, food, research etc) but also in the shape of the homeland !! It takes huge efforts to find the right mix of resources in a particular area in order to let a civ develop like we want it and at which time we want it.

2.5) Historical events - as you are aware RFC is triggering several events to spread new resources on particular coordinates on particular times. Like the Americans get horses around 1600 and corn is appearing in Europe at the same time. Naturally on a huge map you need to quintuple the efforts to code all this events in a right way and then again to balance it.

Therefore I sincerely urge you to develop Rhyes of Europe as a smaller scale spin-off of RFC for now. Test yourself at first on a standard map, then later you can still upgrade to huge, if you really want.

BTW : Has Rhye already released the SDK ?? Or do you want to code everything on Python and XML-Level only ??

The idea is great ! but what choice could you make between all the great european and medditteranean civs? we're limited to 25 slots right?
Here are my personnal choices :

1. Israël (kingdom of Juda)
2. Babylonia
3. Egypt-Mamelouk
4. Persia
5. Hittite-Ottoman-Turkish
6. Roman-Etrusque
7. Carthage
8. Greece-Byzantine Emp.
9. France
10. Spain (Castlle?)
11. England
12. Germany (Prussia?)
13. Scandinavia (Sweden?)
14. Russia (Muscowy?)
15. Portugal
16. Netherlands
17. Poland-Lithuania
18. Austria-Hungary
19. Scotland
20. Burgundy-Lotharingia
21. Bulgaria
22. Venise
23. Bohemia

+ at least I suppose 2 slots for independants states

and what about

Castille
Aragon
Duchy of flanders
Prussia
Bavaria
Principality of Novgorod
Denmark
Sweden
Papal States
Normandy
Piémont-Sardinia
Teutonic Order

or even

Nubia
Ireland
Norway
Crimea
Sicilia
Serbia
Al-Andalus

???

there's a lot of hard choices to make even before working on the map, good luck by the way, I would be glad to help (considering I have no ability in computer scripting)

If you have any ideas for civs, unique units, UPs, techs, renames and reskins to make units accurate, etc. add it to the wiki. It's a pain to go through a thread to pull out everyone's ideas.

1) target audience :
1.1)people who love RFC, but do not have the time - (Tiny-Standard Map)

Eh? Most of the posts I seee here are people saying they'll wait 2 minutes between turns because they love the game and want to play. I don't think your 1.1 subset is that large.

2)Efforts

Well if some of us don't mind the effort, then what does it matter? And it won't be as hard as you presume. Resources are already done for us by the tens of European maps before us. City names will be easy enough, especially since international players like LuKo and LoneWolf will be able to whip them out for their respective nations. I have no idea what you mean by territorial wars, but that's easy to tell the AI to do. Balance is only found from play testing, which is little effort on the part of the developer. And the historical events are easy to code in BTS.

If you have any ideas for civs, unique units, UPs, techs, renames and reskins to make units accurate, etc. add it to the wiki. It's a pain to go through a thread to pull out everyone's ideas.

i would love to but I'm not familiar with that kind of wiki page, wathever I added my propositions of new civs (I eliminates the ones already listed) on the discuss page

*bump*

If you want to contribute to the modcomp, right now is the best time. Longlist is where you can post any idea you want. After that, all of the ideas proposed in the longlist phase are whittled down to a final (beta) build. In other words, speak now or forfeit your opinion!

I prefer the 90x90 map, in bigger maps the game feels strange: because you have HUGE areas just of grasslands, and them columns of hills... and city placement is very easy.

With, BTS already out. We can move on to the real work on this scenario.
Our plans are to start with the middle-ages phase. The time frame then is 492 – 1453. That is from the fall of Western Roman Empire up to the fall of Constantinople.

RFC for BTS already includes almost all the civs we will need. I just like to have one or two civs for the area between Russia and Germany. We may have Poland, Bulgaria, Hungary, or Serbia. I prefer a civ that has already taken shape during this time. I think that Bulgaria formed a kingdom in this area earlier than others. Suggestions from people with better historical background are quite welcome.

I’ll be looking into the current UHVs of involved civs to see what we can carry on to RFC Europe. We will sure need new UHVs that suit the historical phase. One that I have in mind is for France (The Franks) to have a dominant role in the crusades and capture Jerusalem establishing a kingdom there. Your comments and suggestions for UHVs are needed.

I like the first map the 90 x 90 one. It the first map where I can see the whole Scandinavia, and even Iceland!

Still, I don’t think we can do with removing the whole middle-east.

Nope, you need at least Judea if you want to make an accurate European mod. Expanding to the Persian Gulf would likewise be valuable, since it's Oil was a major issue during WW1 and WW2.

What does the BTS WW2 Europe map look like?

ltccone

I still like the map Gaius offered. It might be so huge however. We can still keep the number of civs reasonable to minimize the between turns lag.

I have just tried the Dutch with RFC BTS. The time between turns is the same as with the warlords version and I guess it is because RFC depends a lot on Python calls.

Regular BTS is quite fast as it cuts on python calls by default.

By the way, I am still waiting for for your suggestions for the UHVs.

Top Bottom