Resource icon

Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire

Thank you for the explanation areon. And your assessment is spot on.

With the bigger map I am using, I have added a bunch of Persian cities to the east (as well as a bunch of cities for Germania, Gothia and Scythia). Have done some stuff to make Rome (and others) potentially stronger early. Hope that I have lucked out and got the balance right. Only in 204 BC and am relatively happy. Early game is not as insanely difficult as the original 275BC Hard was, but it is no cakewalk either.

I have finally finished my recent RFRE-game.
As every game it was quite different from my games before.
I didn't have any war with the Goths, Persians, Scyths and Armenias. No fightings at all.
With the Germanics I had short and tough clashes until I reached the maximum borders. Then there was Pax Romana until the end.
With the Numidians I had a quite late war which I wasn't able to avoid it. However, I managed to fight back the attack and keep my cities. The Numidian attack failed due to an insufficient strategy of the Numidian commanders.
I almost failed to conquer Britannia, since I started the conquest shortly before the Britons get the Picts. So I had to fight masses of Picts and it became necessary to shift the majority of my armies to Britannia to finisih the conquest.

Btw, here is also the reason why AI doesn't attack Rome in the late part of game, although the Germanics and Goths are actually unstoppable. AI prefers to start war Germania vs. Goths instead of Germania vs. Rome.

Attachments

• Victory.JPG
    Victory.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 430
  • Gothian-War.JPG
    Gothian-War.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 468
  • Power.JPG
    Power.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 391
I've been playing this MOD for over a year or two or so, and it's very fun. I love the Latin names which gives it a native feel to the scenario.

One thing though:

Spoiler :

I feel like I'm taking forever and not as fast as I should be going... but it's the best I could do. I'm a bit pissed off about my Legio Caesarius failing to spawn in Narbo or whatever that city on the coast of France is. I built the small wonder/wonder and it never spawned the Caesarius.

I just feel like I'm taking forever but it's not due to lack of trying. It's already past 250 AD and this is as far as I've been able to get.

I'm a bit pissed off about my Legio Caesarius failing to spawn in Narbo or whatever that city on the coast of France is. I built the small wonder/wonder and it never spawned the Caesarius.

The Imperium Caesari becomes obsolete soon. Perhaps you researched the tech which does that too fast?

No, I ensured I was not making it obsolete by doubling research time. I lost my previous armies and I really needed a couple new armies... so I was banking on spawning 2 before it went obsolete. Nothing happened...

Hm. Did you still have the needed ressources? Iirc, wonders which autoproduce stop doing so, if you don't have them anymore. I don't have any other explanation beside that :confused:

awesome mod thanks for sharing and creating it :goodjob:

but i have a question you only play with Roman Empire ?
you cant pick other civs to play in there or you working on something ?

The last time I downloaded this (half a year ago) it gave some error. I wasn't registered to CFC (so I didn't ask it here) and hadn't had any experience with modding or changing the files' locations etc. so I just gave up.

I don't remember the error anymore and I have already got a new computer, so I need to download it again and see, what's the problem. I'll post later the results.

awesome mod thanks for sharing and creating it :goodjob:

but i have a question you only play with Roman Empire ?
you cant pick other civs to play in there or you working on something ?
That's the whole point of the game, to play your way through Rome's history. Which is quite varied by the way, you'll be attacked by everyone else and change governments and religions. The game is specifically designed to be played as Rome, as you may have foun, why should you be playing as the Huns in 200 B.C.?

The first thing I noticed is, the scenario calls on Art\Unit files in other locations. Which means you have to go looking for them to make copies if you're playing RFRE on a Mac. I'll be putting together a list of where those files can be found in the C3C files over on the Mac forum.

That bit aside, I rather like the idea behind RFRE, and would like to see it applied to other scenarios. Each would have one playable civilization, a number of AI civilizations, and cover a period of time with a range of technologies. Here are a few suggestions.

Samuel's Kings: The Rise and Fall of the Kingdom of Israel, from the days of King Saul to the fall of Jerusalem to Babylon.

The Black Haired People: The rise of the Sumerians in the land between the rivers. (Might allow for multiple civilizations, with each representing a Sumerian city and its subject cities.)

Sargon of Akkad: The rise and fall of the world's first empire. Would include rules for devastating drought.

Alexander Ascendant: A what-if where Alexander the Great's empire stays under a single person's rule after the man's death.

Charlegmagne's Paladins: The rise and eventual disintegration and tranfiguration of the Frankish Empire under the rule of the Merovingians and their successors the line of Carolingian Kings.

Finally, since I'm such an American chauvanist ( :) ), Old Glory: The United States, from it's founding in the American Revolution up to the future.

If others have more ideas along this line, maybe we could get a thread going in the Customization forum.

With the Celtic Warrior directory I've run into a problem. I assume that Celtic Warrior. INI calls for files in another directory, but the three Celtic Warrior directories on my hard drive---each in different non-standard scenarios---have different sets of files. So which one to use, if it's any of those, is rather difficult to discover outside of some trial and error.

The Scenarios are; Earth2.OneBillion, Meditera, and Rood. That's assuming the directory CelticWarrior.INI calls for is called Celtic Warrior. It might be one of the base files in CVC or a directory in one of the standard scenarios.

Update: Reinstalled, this time the right way. Now it works.

@mythusmage:

I agree that it would be nice to get a whole bunch of scenarios like that put out, but its a TON of work, especially if you want it to be as good as RFRE (which isnt possible :p)

However, Keroro's Alexander scenario is excellent and along the same lines as RFRE. I would check it out: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=287185

I have 1.0 installed on my computer, and am trying to decide whether or not to upgrade. Is it worth the hassle?

Do you mean [c3c] v1.0 or RFRE 1.0? If you have Conquests v 1.00 you'd have to get 1.22... if you're using RFRE v 1.0 then the latest upgraded version, obviously, is better. Unless you're into self-tormenting :)

Top Bottom