ROTQM13: Rolling Over The Quintet's Magic

maybe we should gather up our strongest troops and send them on a raind in Amurite lands
seconded. wipe them out, and have the new stack get ready to visit Bals.

Change of plans. I decided not to burn down those cities after all. Posting update soon.

The Bannor throne room was silent. Basium the archangel of Junil stood contemplatively before the great stone throne.

All around the capital the mood was one of disappointment. The day was supposed to be one of celebration. An official state visit from the only one in this world not destined for extermination was a rare thing indeed. And the plans for it were so majestic. There were to be trumpets, a parade and even a feast. But much to everyone's annoyance that all fell apart as instead the angel took it upon him self to simply stride right into the throne room like he owned the place. And this is where he now stood.

Hours passed. Hours in which the angel simply stood in front of the shimmering cloud of shimmering hues. Occasionally Basium would shift, cough, mumble something to him self or simply hmmm indicatively. But for the most part the day past in silence.

Eventually as the sun slowly began to set the High Priest finally picked up the courage to remind the angel of the time to which the he gave a silent nod and turned to leave.

As the two were exiting the room the High Priest asked his guest a single question. "Might I ask, my lord. Just what did the color Purple, blessed be its hue say?"

Basium shrugged and replied: "No idea. But it was quite pretty."

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Meanwhile in the field the situation was not so pretty at all.

Spoiler The pitiful elder horror nightmare worshiping clowns had dispatched a massive relief army to aid their elven brethren. An army lead by the hero of their heathen religion Severus. :
453.JPG

Spoiler Having none of that Donal made an example of the fiend by jumping off the walls like an anime character to engage and best him in single combat. :
455 Donal.jpg
A feat which he would continue to repeat over the next 10 or so turns as more and more enemies were fed in to him and his XP farming mill.

Spoiler And just as that was going on Spilan was under siege by a band of barbarian archers. :
454.JPG

No rewards go to those that can figure out how that one ended.

Speaking of ends. Valin took up a position just next to Udir. The plan was to remove the city from existence and settle one tile north to get at the grain. But the settler would take some time to arrive. Meanwhile Valin would sit there waiting for them to spawn units to farm on.

The plan would be moderately unsuccessful as it took until turn 464 and no new units were created. I blame the elves.
Spoiler Still, at least we got the city eventually. :
464.JPG
Back to the past and turn 455 it would appear that Ulfgar has a harpy problem. With a voice made for radio and a face to match the girl would not be long for this world. That is if not for the fact that the color Purple, blessed be its strange and shimmering ways took a liking to the girl.

Listen, I don't get it either. I can't get into the colors head any more than you do. I just write these things. All I know is that now we have the ugliest harpy known to civilization sitting there with a royal stamp of "must not burn".

Spoiler She does sing beautifully though. But may Junil have mercy on our eyes. :
355-1.JPG
355-2.JPG

Speaking of mercy or rather lack there off it would only take three turns before a massive army of the Amurites sprang up seemingly out of nowhere to join the Clown-Elf party.
Spoiler Amurite relief army number one. :
458.JPG

The remaining five turns are more or less uneventful. Both the clowns, Amurites and Svatalflar are all happily feeding armies toward that city turn after turn all too happy to feed the XP mill that it has become.

Donal is taking potshots at them, working up to Blitz so that he can murder two units per turn. And since he keeps killing off the good units odds some times permit the rest of his army to chip in as well. Even if they only attack at 99.9%.

So far the death tally is several mage, a bunch of Soldiers of Kilomorph, axemen, swordmen and god knows what else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
In related news I allowed a couple cities to grow and started 2 libraries and some more settlers. The two archers in our capital are also to be sent to the new cities once they are done. We have quite enough of an army at this point and I feel that we need to invest more into our economy.

Also, we really need to rush Valin south to capitalize on all that sweet XP on offer.

Spoiler Oh and I settled B1 as well. It's called Corona after the mythical plague that murdered most of mankind before the ice fell. :
461.JPG

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0465.CivBeyondSwordSave
    472.1 KB · Views: 15
OK nice work. I'm UP and have the save. Won't be able to play until tomorrow so any suggestions welcome.

What to do with the Great Bard? Will it bulb anything useful (Drama would be OK to build culture in new cities)?
Honestly I would save her for when we need something special like to fasbulb into something more important or start a golden age at just the right time or something. I think instantly using her right now would be a bit of a waste or a strategic resource. If nothing else we don't really need a new tech right now as we are already behind on buildings in our cities.

Honestly I would save her for when we need something special like to fasbulb into something more important or start a golden age at just the right time or something. I think instantly using her right now would be a bit of a waste or a strategic resource. If nothing else we don't really need a new tech right now as we are already behind on buildings in our cities.
I agree with this. We don't have any urgent need of the bard's services at the moment, and for new cities at the moment we can still rely on dancing bears for culture. (just remember not to destroy any lairs).

By the way. @Ozbenno : It's your turn now, no?

Also from some experimentation I did Valin does in fact not get XP from bears. Seems like they are too weak for him.

Apologies for the delay but we're back into the action....

Valin can't get to level 15 hunting bears, so he is moved back to the front.

Engineering comes in first IBT (meaning Valin can get back to the front quicker) and Religious Law has been selected behind. I take a 4 turn detour into Horseback Riding, as we have a settler due in one turn that will bring horses to the mighty Bannor empire.

We only have 5 workers, so more are queued.

Basium is on the attack. I follow with a hawk a few tiles behind to check what is going on.

We are closer to having horses (just need some workers to connect)

Our following hawk reveals Basium's target and the probable location of Acheron. The Ljosafar still haven't found us as well....

Valin gets his extra XP at the front and retreats to get Brigit. Both the Svartalfar and Amurite stacks have been destroyed.

I think we are in a pretty strong position at the moment. We have plenty of troops at the front and can go on the offensive a bit again, either capturing or razing the Svartalfar empire. We also have plenty of troops in reserve and could go on the offensive against the Balseraphs with these as well, assisting Basium.

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0475.CivBeyondSwordSave
    485.8 KB · Views: 15
Weren't there markers up there for where to found the two cities up north?
I am asking because the way I marked those you should have gone one tile south to catch the vine and leave the cows for the second city that gets the elephants. The way it's done now no city will get the vine which we need for :) and the elephant city shouldn't be founded at all because it would have idiotically big overlap with others and just be generally untenable.

Weren't there markers up there for where to found the two cities up north?
I am asking because the way I marked those you should have gone one tile south to catch the vine and leave the cows for the second city that gets the elephants. The way it's done now no city will get the vine which we need for :) and the elephant city shouldn't be founded at all because it would have idiotically big overlap with others and just be generally untenable.

I got the save and will play in a few hours later today. Untill then, since we have another settler in the pipeline, let's talk city placement strategy:
I agree that the placement of the latest city was suboptimal, but we may still be able to salvage the situation like this, while minimizing overlap:
upload_2022-6-12_14-25-19.png

Lower right city gets the wine, upper left city gets the ivory and still has a reasonable number of non overlapping tiles. The lower left city (where Valin is in the screenshot) is just to fill up space and work empty tiles.
Unless I get any contrary feedback I will take the first settler that spawns and found the vine city.
Fortunately we are Bannor and theoretically we can aford a lot more overlap because our strategy should be to turn most of our plains and grassland tiles into cottages that would later spawn Demagogues from our worldspell/crusade. Which means less food, which means smaller cities.
On the other hand, from what I can see we are already winning so based on my experience I say that we won't need to bother with crusade unless Hyborem gets to powerfull and we need the extra manpower to take him down.

Speaking of cities, I don't think that you should have founded Solium (in the far north-west) where you did. You should have kept the barbarian city of Uddur one tile to the south and we would have founded another city to the north of it in the tundra, that would feed itself on the wheat resource and would have exploited the furs for extra income and happyness. Now we will probably have to build a fort/colony to at least get the luxury resource.
But all of this is probably not vital as we are already winning.

The cities on the bottom don't get any food resources in that setup. And without a river nearby that means they'll newer get a decent population going.

And honestly I wouldn't rely on the world spell too much because it's a one time only thing. We can't well subjugate our entire economy to that one time and than be left holding the bag.

Not that I would be opposed to a cottage heavy economy mind you. But in that case we have to commit to it and stick to civics that let us use money to rush out production.

Ok, so I started playing my turns.

First, the bad news: we are now at war with Thessa too: I had the bad Ideea of sending a recon flight a bit too close to one of her cities and apparently this was enough to make contact. Which means that we need to keep some troops in reserve to see what will come from that direction. However, I think the Mercurians can hold the line as they are wery busy at the moment rampaging through Balseraph lands.

More bad news: I had decidet we need to go on the offensive agains the Amurites, but I wanted to have some breathing space in the south first. So I attacked the closest Svartalfar city and razed it to the ground. This spawned a bunch of new units for the Infernals. This is bad as it means that we can't keep razing their cities like that (we really don't want to be feeding the Infernals at the moment) so my suggestion is to suspend all offensive action against the Svartalfar for the moment.
Speaking of the wolf: I have also found out where the infernals are at the moment:

upload_2022-6-12_22-53-7.png

New Plan: I suggest that we deal with this threat sooner rather than later. So I am going to send Donal and a bunch of fast units that are already reasonably close on a raid into Amurite lands, and I am going to start gathering everything else into an army that can go on the offensive agains the infernals. It's better to take these guys out as fast as possible.

On the other hand we probably don't need to worry about Thessa right now.

We also have a shiny new unit:
upload_2022-6-12_23-6-15.png

Also, our Mercurian allies helped confirm Acheron's location:
upload_2022-6-12_23-13-37.png

In fact, it looks like each new turn brings some other news form the Eastern front, this time mostly good.
Basium has killed Hyborem and reversed some of his gains. I also think that Thessa may have fired her worldspell as I noticed some treants and a bunch of new forests. I took a screenshot of them too but unfortunately I lost it.

What did I say? New turn, new news: We found the sheaim too. Looks like they have been fighting with the Infernals and the Elves as they lost some cities. This is very good for us:
upload_2022-6-12_23-52-3.png

And that's it for me. My reign is over.
Some final notes:
- on my last turn I upgraded a level 5 hunter to an Assasin in our capital. Theoretically he should now be eligible for the Aeron's choosen promotion if it is sitll available, so be on the lookout for it on the next turn.
- In the west Donal Lugh and some backup are preparing for a raid in Amurite lands. Objective is not so much to conquer but to disrupt and cripple them before they can overwhelm us with their wizards. Make sure to kill any followers of Kilmorph encountered, because they are guaranteed to turn into Angels to strengthen Basium. Also, pillage any mana nodes encountered.
- In the southeast there is a a small army close to Infernal lands, looking for an opportunity to strike where a weakness presents itself. More reinforcements are on the way including Valin and Birgit.
- It looks like Basium is back to conquering the Balseraphs. Hopefully he has the forces needed to do so.
- Since there is no threat from the south at the moment, I have withdrawn the garissons of the forts south of Corona to save money, as we already pay a lot to support all the units we have outside our borders.

Signing off...

Roster

Ozbenno
King Bulrush >> just played
pholkhero >> Up now
Tinadafish >> On Deck
PPQ Purple

Attachments

• upload_2022-6-12_23-34-49.png
    upload_2022-6-12_23-34-49.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 15
  • upload_2022-6-12_23-49-22.png
    upload_2022-6-12_23-49-22.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 18
  • ROTQM13 TURN-0485.CivBeyondSwordSave
    494.9 KB · Views: 15
Honestly I do not think we should spread our armies so thin. Kill one enemy at a time with the entirety of our force.

We shouldn't. Hyborem should be our priority target where most of of our reinforcements should go. However:

I started the atttack on the Amurites (and I strongly advise pressing on with it) for the following reasons:
- we already had forces heading that way when I became aware of the Infernal threat, and it would be wastefull and timeconsuming to turn them around. At the moment, the small army we have there doesn't need more reinforcements to be effective.
- they are the only ones that we can safely kill, as they follow a good religion so there is low risk of their units being reborn as demons
- related to the above, they are the only reliable source of new angels for Basium. Angels are stronger than our axemen and Basium is putting them to good use at the moment, so we should do all in our power to reinforce him
- also, while still weak at the moment, they are the only opponent that hasn't been crippled by fighting on their own terittory and may grow to be much more dangerous in the future. We need to damage them now before they can swarm us with wizards or worse, firebows (which they should be able to research soon if their tech level is anywhere close to ours.)
- finally, it makes sense from a roleplaying perspective to go after them, given their fondness for mages.

As for the Svartalfar, I kept a small garisson there but I would advise abandoning the city and pulling back for the moment, until we can reengage under more favourable circumstances. I don't think they will be ready to attack us too soon.

I think we need to steamroll these baddies . . .

As everyone has said, we're in a very strong position, made stronger by the fact that our enemies are fighting themselves.

Here's where we ended up with everything.
Religious Law came in > Smelting was chosen for Iron's sake

I founded a wine town on the coast:
*Imagine Cape Bulrush*

only a small attack on our new city, but the mercurians made more progress:
*a small white square on the border of a bunch of yellow*

And we're doing well in Amurite land:
*large stack healing for a turn*

We took one city, with two losses at 70+% odds, but we can keep pressing in after a bit of healing. I razed the city as well here figuring we can't keep them all, and this one was pretty terrible. Also, i'm pillaging as i go for some more cash for us.

NOTE: i let a couple-three units pass by our stack so they may show up; i've got a worker down there doing recon.

In the East:
*several small stacks closing in on a city*

notice the fighting along the border there. and that city will fall next turn as it has only one unit in it. we should probably keep it and use it as a base to work from over here. We can also road back up to the Mercurian capital to facilitate movement.

finally, this stack
*small stack by our "castles" signs*

should join with our army in the SW and finish off Svart. it's just silly to have an army sitting there without just taking out the cities, even to conquer them would be a small hit in the short term.

[not sure where my screenshots ended up this time; my apologies all]

Roster

Ozbenno
King Bulrush
pholkhero >> just played
Tinadafish >> Up now
PPQ Purple >> On Deck

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0495.CivBeyondSwordSave
    501.3 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom