ROTQM13: Rolling Over The Quintet's Magic

so, two things: one, i revolted us to Order.

and i just recently changed my screenshot hotkey, so . . .

here's pics:
Spoiler :

Just for the record. I think we should try and make sure all our heroes have as many extra moves as possible and blitz. It really helps make them into murder machines.

I second this. I always promote heroes down the mobility/drill line first.
esp when its a prime limiting factor for our heroes and our :hammer:

Picked up the save, I'll try and play it tomorrow evening or saturday, I think consumption might have been a better shout than social order even though it's quite out of character, our cities are very food poor and can't really benefit from the increased happiness at the moment.

We're off to a bad start, what with the death and disease and all...
Spoiler :
plague.png

Turns out we're broke as well...
Spoiler :
broke.png

But at least we have our friends right?
Spoiler :
some might call this extortion.png

Besides our money troubles, our soldiers are fighting through literal hell on Earth
Spoiler :
hell on earth.png

Valin proved himself a hero and slew Hyborem for the final time not long after, whilst Basium got to work building an empire in the south out of the clowns and circus, one of our confessors also captured an amurite wizard and the army there razed a few of their cities and captured the Guild of the Nine and the Empyrean holy city.

Concerningly the Amurites have several flesh golems wandering around and an obscene number of fireball slinging wizards, there's also a lot of barbarians wandering the plains between our core empire and the newly conquered cities in the Amurite and Svartalfar lands. I razed a lot of cities this reign but I think killing Hyborem and some of the ashen veil cities actually brought the apocalypse counter lower than I found it. There's some Iron to the north as well besides all the bears and fur.

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0506.CivBeyondSwordSave
    524.7 KB · Views: 16
I'll try and get to it tomorrow after work.

Ok I finally got the time to pick the save up and start. So I'll be posting tomorrow morning. Until than though there is one thing I wish to point out.

The reason why I have constantly been advocating for us to play defensively and go after one target at a time is simple. I play civ very slowly and methodically because I can't really focus on keeping track of many wars at once.

Opening the save right now I was immediately massively overwhelmed with what is going on what with us having conquered cities everywhere and armies scattered all over the place. So it will take me some time to just sit down and analyze and try to get a grip of the situation to figure out which of the wars to pursue and which I can just put on autopilot until its someone elses turn.

Don't take this as me complaining or anything. But like there might be a slight delay, that's all.

Last edited:
I understand that, we are in an always war game though it's kind of just how they play out. Good to play outside your comfort zone sometimes though.

Ok I finally got the time to pick the save up and start. So I'll be posting tomorrow morning. Until than though there is one thing I wish to point out.

The reason why I have constantly been advocating for us to play defensively and go after one target at a time is simple. I play civ very slowly and methodically because I can't really focus on keeping track of many wars at once.

Opening the save right now I was immediately massively overwhelmed with what is going on what with us having conquered cities everywhere and armies scattered all over the place. So it will take me some time to just sit down and analyze and try to get a grip of the situation to figure out which of the wars to pursue and which I can just put on autopilot until its someone elses turn.

Don't take this as me complaining or anything. But like there might be a slight delay, that's all.
I know exactly how you feel and normally I would have also wanted us to play defensively but now we are already committed and it looks like we are advancing (or at least we were when I last played ). Also we need to take care of the Infernals in particular before they pollute the whole map with hell terain (since we have no way of dealing with it without magic). So I would advocate sending all reinforcements to that front until we have enough mass to push forward, and holding the line everywhere else (or even retreating if/where needed). After we finish off the Infernals we can go back to destroy other foes.
Simply pulling back on all fronts at this time would just waste time.

Alright, this time I'll dispense with the big lore post because I am late. And I'll just give you the rough details.

#1. Starting the game I noticed that the elves have settled or captured a pair of cities to our north-east. Thus we can expect attacks from there. And with our ally sending his entire army to ineffectually muddle about in the clownlands doing nothing of value that area is very exposed. Thus I have decided to pick two units from our production line and put them on the fort that blocks the only way in there. I would advise possibly adding some more in the future.
Spoiler :
506.JPG
On the western front I allowed the injured army to retreat and heal while I take the situation in and try to figure out what to do.

After doing so I devised a plan that will let me handle things more easily. And that plan is to take the eastern army (Brigit and Valin) and the western army (Donal) and combine them into a two sided pincer attack on the demonic hordes.

City after city fell to our armies, including the holy city of the Ashen Veil. All of which we committed to ruin in hopes of driving the AC down. And as the armies marched on sparing neither man nor woman, child nor imp, sheep chicken or ass something cool happened up north.

On turn 511 a great prophet was born in our second city. Not bad. His name is Gosea and I moved him to the capital for safe keeping. If you want my advice I would wait until our cities grow back to a reasonable size and than use him to build the Altar of Lunoar in our most production heavy city. The +2 XP to confessors and crusaders will be invaluable.
Spoiler The Prophet Man :
511.JPG
The very next turn, our army advancing south caught wind of Govanon and a small army trying to retake the two coastal cities we took.

Donal and the crusaders took care of the guard and one of our confessors struck the final blow. For the effort I gave him a unique name to be remembered for ages. I also nominate him for a high priest position once that becomes available.
Spoiler :
512.JPG
I also diverted some workers and a crusader to improve the terrain around Solium. The vine and grain there should help our empire in the long run.

Not all was rosy though as down south my brilliant plan for a pincer attack was foiled by a literal wall of fire.
Spoiler :
517 east.JPG
In other news I found a small army healing in the middle of nowhere between us and the Amurites. So I shipped them out to reinforce that front and burned a barbarian city on the way.
Spoiler :
517.JPG
Instead, I had to settle for sending half the army back west to burn down the demons there and the other half lead by Donal to capture their capital city.

And I do mean capture. It had both the necronomicon and the perfect lyre in it and I wanted to take them both.
Spoiler :
Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

And that's it for me.

Attachments

• 510.JPG
    510.JPG
    315.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 514.JPG
    514.JPG
    439.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 506.JPG
    506.JPG
    297.8 KB · Views: 14
  • ROTQM13 TURN-0521.CivBeyondSwordSave
    532.2 KB · Views: 14
Nice work. Clownlands! Brilliant.

I've got it and will play in the next couple of days. I think the back is broken of this but obviously need to keep on the offensive.

It is hard not using magic as I'd usually have a bunch of adepts with Sanctify cleansing the map of hellfire and keeping the AC down as well.

Speaking of that. We did capture an enemy mage a couple players back (no idea who did it) and he is sitting in Donals army right now. I upgraded him with sanctify and I think we should use him on the basis that if Junil didn't want us to have him we would not have gotten him.

I understand that, we are in an always war game though it's kind of just how they play out. Good to play outside your comfort zone sometimes though.

I know exactly how you feel and normally I would have also wanted us to play defensively but now we are already committed and it looks like we are advancing (or at least we were when I last played ).

if it was just me, i'd have lost many turns ago b/c i forgot something really silly like don't attack the guardian to see if he's got any treasure underneath him. if we play more SGs (which I am really enjoying FfH), you'll find i'm usually the one to advocate for aggression iwth half-baked plans. I need you guys to help bake them and vice versa.

I'm sorry if I contributed to any ill feelings, but also:

City after city fell to our armies, including the holy city of the Ashen Veil.
we really are crushing them at the moment.

edit to add that even our Angel Baby Civ is crushing it.

Opened the save and had a look. I see Purple's point that we have split and stretched our armies somewhat rather than concentrate on one opponent at a time. We should probably try and consolidate somewhat but in the meantime

Burned to the ground

Kept this one as, between the wildfire and the mountains it is pretty much safe from attack

Scorched

Sent back to Hell

Immolated

Given the Carthage treatment. Notice the two Angels walking through the hellfire!!

This one is a keeper as it provides a good blocking point to the Ljosafar lands above, once the city to the east is gone the way of the dodo.

In all the above, we only lost one troop, a crusader. Only one Sheaim city left I think, so the Donal Lugh army should be free next turn. I would recommend the Amurite as their target and then the Svartalfar. The Valin/Brigit army should continue the attack to the Ljosafar, capturing any good cities and razing the rest.

That will just leave the clownlands. I think Basium must have gotten himself killed as I didn't see him when I loaded the save and his army is mostly gone.

I played 9 turns, to get back to an even number.

Attachments

• ROTQM13 TURN-0530.CivBeyondSwordSave
    540.2 KB · Views: 13
Honestly I am not too happy about us keeping all those cities far from our core that we have been doing for ages now. I feel that the maintenance from those is really killing our cash income. Also, if you can try and spend some time with that one mage clearing hell.

Idk it looks like we're making plenty commerce and cash right now, losing only 8 gold a turn at 60% with over 2k in the bank is sustainable for the foreseeable future, all those towns and hamlets lying around are full little piggy banks too we just have to break them.

Top Bottom