• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Ruins producing culture/commerce

MattJek

King
I was just thinking of an idea where city ruins on the map should produce some sort of culture or commerce bonus as they do in real life

Should produce money from tourism. Nothing like having some ancient ruins to draw tourists from all over the world.

Lot's of people visit Mayan ruins.
I want to see the ruins of Carthage.
It would be good if battles where enough units were lost also had ruins.

I.e. yes

Yeah a Commerce bonus would make sense
commerce going to Gold through tourism, science through archaeological research, or Culture through knowledge (or one could have it go directly to gold+culture... not having to work the tile..that way the culture bonus could be bigger)

Good idea but should be capped somehow to avoid exploits - maybe only razed cities that had at least 1000 culture points should give a bonus

Good idea. Another way to minimize exploits would be to
require a long wait before the bonus kicks in, x number of
turns/years/centuries.

I rather have cottages built on ordinary ruins to be instantly promoted to hamlet. Ruins with former wonders or great culture should get commerce bonus. And existing cities with wonders should get tourism $ bonus. Also city razing should spam out a bunch of refuges.

Thing is, mosttimes if not always those ruins will be out of cityrange, unless a new city is plonked down near it. Thus a bonus that only benefits the plot won't do.

I'm always tempted to raze ill placed cities and put them in a better place, preferably one that fits my city borders better. If it's out in the tundra in the middle of nowhere, the extra bonus could be an incentive.

I think this could be modded. Say after you destroy a city of Refined or Legendary culture, the plot turns into a "Famous City Ruin", which after 1000 years will turn into "Famous Archilogical Site" that provides a heap of commerce. Also each wonder destroyed in the city will also have it's cultural value added as commerce.

Any bonus should only be available after the discovery of education or some similar tech.

Top Bottom