Ruleset Discussion

Basically you're right, but as you mentioned it's a multiplayer game. So it can't be put on one persons shoulders. There should be someone to take over the burden in such tough times...

Wotan, as usual in such a situation the guys who face the situation are the wrong adressees.

This is very much related to a situation I often faced in my baseball team. On sunny day homegames you have lots of guys ready to play, but on rainy road trips you have trouble to put together a team and those guys staying away give their teammates and also the opponents a hard time. :gripe:

You are certainly one of those guys who would join that rainy road trip, I appreciate that. :thumbsup:

For those other guys I'd usually not shed a tear but unfortunately at the start of the season you did put faith in those guys and later in the season can't play the game without them... :rolleyes:

Nobody should EVER have to apologize for his RL situation!!!

I agree completely. Life needs to be lived. The game is a game, we enjoy it but it is secondary to work. Now if we were all eccentric millionares...

Basically you're right, but as you mentioned it's a multiplayer game. So it can't be put on one persons shoulders. There should be someone to take over the burden in such tough times...

I agree, couldn't some of the rapid deathmatch players (among others) stand in for you?

Edit: I didn't see the turn tracker first so just limit that last comment, but it is still is a suggestion for a future time.

@Wotan – I’d just like to repeat that I greatly appreciate how long you’ve soldiered on in this game despite being abandoned by your team. In a very real sense, it’s unfair to hold just 1 person to the 24 hour time limit. That’s supposed to be a time limit for an entire TEAM.

I DO think this is a good game, and I think it’s going to get even better when we get to more advanced technology. I think it’s great that we’re going to have a game with more late era fighting – a rarity in multiplayer games.

However – if there’s very little hope we’ll get to this stage before 2009 – then yeah, it’s hard to keep people motivated and involved.

I was originally one of the strongest advocates to keep BABE playing in this game – but now seeing the consequences of that on game speed - I think we should seriously consider letting Wotan gracefully bow out.

Team BABE’s units and cities can be disbanded – if one city has to remain, then a mod or a rotating committee of turn players from the other teams can just end their turns for them. A 30 turn moratorium could be established on trying to conquer the BABE homeland – to give all teams at least a semi-equal shot at the land-rush that will certainly ensue. Or, alternatively, BABE’s homeland could just be declared a fall-out zone from a massive meteor strike, and totally uninhabitable.

We get the game moving, and spare Wotan from playing alone in a game he’d have never signed up for. As far as I’m concerned, he deserves thanks for giving it an A+ try… not the punishment of having to continue.

There are some comments on our team thread but I guess none feel very committed to the game anymore. As have been said by some in this thread, having me basically hit return might not be too fun for anyone. (I do go through all towns and make changes to production but nothing fancy or game planning related).

I have put the question about what to do to the team and if you could have some patience and let me wait until I have some response I would appreciate it.

First of all, let me say that I really appreciate the time you put into playing the game, without you, it would have stalled completely.

There are some comments on our team thread but I guess none feel very committed to the game anymore. As have been said by some in this thread, having me basically hit return might not be too fun for anyone. (I do go through all towns and make changes to production but nothing fancy or game planning related).

I have put the question about what to do to the team and if you could have some patience and let me wait until I have some response I would appreciate it.

To be honest, I think you're judging yourslef too hard here. Comparing my experience in this MTDG and the Civ4 one tells me that there's a huge difference in the amount of time spent on strategy. In this demogame, our team has calculated a lot of possible options, down to single beakers, hammers and gold. In the civ4 MTDG, we're playing more casual (also as a result of less quality players, even I was good enough to play turns), and are probably making tons of mistakes. In the end, we'll probably lose that game to stronger teams (like Epsilon), but we're still having fun in playing on our own level.

By the way, not all the fun in this game should have to come from the game itself. I've found diplomacy and writing public announcements very enjoyable.

I'm heading out now. But all the kind words have made me think a bit more about the game and so as not to make anything drastic right now I will play the turn as if there is a future for our team. ;) So as soon as I am up and about tomorrow morning I will play and send the turn. Maybe we can enroll someone to assist me play on. As some of you have already said, the BABE position is not at all bad in this game. I guess it is actually pretty healthy even though I have not really managed it properly lately.

And as you say Dutchfire; Much of the fun is from interaction. That is what I enjoy myself and what develop everyones games. I know had I not been on Kuningas team for one of the early SGOTMs I would not be able to play at my current level. And of course through the input from a lot of other guys here at CFC. :goodjob:

Then again I would not judge the rest of BABE to harshly we have entered into a pretty gloomy spot re. this game and enthusiasm is maybe not very high among our ranks. But the current deathmatch sure tell me the team members are good players and good sports despite the current situation in this particular game.

I am not at all upset by Wotan. His slow turn times have genuinly stemed from real life issues. However I am pretty irritated with the behaviour of the babes that do have the time to play but just aren't playing because they don't feel like it. Wotan thanks for sticking with it for so long. I feel some of the babes should probaly take over for you for the same reason that you have been playing for so long. It's dissapointy that it currently seems doughbtful that it will happen at this point in time.

Like Wotan, I can only offer limited time to these types of hobbies. Over the last few months and coming year this will be even more limited. So I've found the games that interest me and will contribute gameplay to them.

Unlike the first MTDG this game is a dead game for me. Part scenario and part the atttitudes. Sorry.

As an fyi in the ISDG one team recently resigned so it is possible.

Unlike the first MTDG this game is a dead game for me. Part scenario and part the atttitudes. Sorry.

As an fyi in the ISDG one team recently resigned so it is possible.

I think I know what you mean by scenario but whose attitude don't you like? :hmm:

Can you tell us how the resignation was handled in the ISDG?

Brazil (CBR) quit and retired from the game because we were crushing them.

This was Civ III? They just retired in the Civ game? What happened to their units and cities? (Pardon my multi-player ignorance.)

Yep, C3C championship round. Everything disappeared and where they had cities there is now rubble.

I am opent to babe retiring as Whomp describes.

Everything disappeared and where they had cities there is now rubble

:eek: Whoa! How did that come about? Did you guys know that they were trying to resign? I can't imagine the shock of opening a save to find an entire civ evaporated :shifty:

Top Bottom