Rybka Banned and Disqualified

Petek

Alpha Centaurian
Administrator
Supporter
Chessvibes.com reports that the chess-playing program Rybka has been stripped of its world championship titles and its programmer has been banned for life from future competitions. Rybka is a commercially available program that has topped the computer ratings for several years (until recently). The programer is accused of plagiarizing the work of other programs.

Most obvious question: if it was merely plagiarizing others, how come it became the sole winner so many times?

Most obvious question: if it was merely plagiarizing others, how come it became the sole winner so many times?

Because he made it better

So what if he plagiarized.. he still made it better.

If you win too often, other folk don't like it and become jealous, then they seek to stop you in any way possible... no different than teaming up on a runaway civ...

If you win too often, other folk don't like it and become jealous, then they seek to stop you in any way possible... no different than teaming up on a runaway civ...

I think the point is that, in order to play in this championship, the program must either be all-original work or must have clearly attributed any borrowed work. Rybka doesn't meet those qualifications, therefore it cannot hold the title.

It's like claiming a win in the Marathon race, when you took a train for part of the course. Naturally, you get disqualified.

its more like you wore shoes you didn't make yourself or didn't have a proper brand name on your shirt, or an improper logo.

Of course plagiarism is a very bad thing to do, but it is pathological and subjective - if i steal your essay and put my name on it, im a piece of crap.

then again, if i copy-paste certain codes from a program - how is it plagiarism? Sometimes, in computer codes there is one perfect way to compute something and a thousand bad ways. does this mean if i invent the perfect way and refuse to share, that you should be consigned to a flawed mechanism just because of me? The same could be said in medicine, don't believe me?

If i invent a cold medicine that actually works, or a flu medicine that works - you can't copy my recipe. so what if i invent it, patent it etc, and just refuse to release it? What if i made the cure for AIDS - made 5 copies that would self destruct under any investigation attempt - can i sell those 5 copies for 1,000,000,000 dollars a piece? What if you learn my recipie, are you REALLY a criminal for providing medicine to the world rather than permitting my right-wing capitalist greed? You sassy liberal 99 percenter...

When it comes to things like medicine, computing, electrical works or anything related - there ARE AREAS where plagiarism protects those who shouldnt be protected and denies rationalism to society by prohibition based on intellectual ownership. That said, i hope plagiarism is reviewed and looser rules applied for circumstances that merit it.

I think you're stretching a comparison way beyond rational bounds. Keeping an AIDS vaccine secret means condemning many thousands of sufferers to death. No-one is going to die because I won't share my chess algorythm.

In this Rybka case, you aren't even comparing apples and oranges... you're comparing apples to a song about oranges.

Top Bottom