S3rgeus's Wheel of Time Mod

I think waiting until the penultimate Seal is broken before triggering the Last Battle will make it occur much too late.

I'll include part of this (breaking the last Seal) in my Sealbreaking missive above.
not what I proposed: it's the reverse:
The last battle starts with the earliest of :
-World Era = Age of Dragon
-last Seal (or second to last Seal) is broken.

-- > it will not push the LB back, only allow for it to happen earlier… for example if someone wants to rush the end-game.
-- there could be ways to balance that: triggering the 3rd to last Seal awaken the Dragon and pushes every-body to Era of Dragon?

Think of it like this: the world of the WoT teched a bit during the After-Breaking… (mostly medieval-like armies, and how to get warders) but parallely they lost a lot of knowledge. Afterwards, for about 2000 years... there was almost no progressions of "techs". (save, maybe on the seachan side : political techs, and adam)
It's only in the Era of Dragons that new techs appear : academies of the Dragon (trains/printing…etc), Aldura invents cannons and hand-grenades, quicker crossbows are developed by …?? Someone Mat encounters (or rand) ? Bashere invents the Legion : new organisation of armies: X-bow trained on shield-and-short-sword work / Rand Founds the Black-Tower.
Elayne re-discover how to make angreals/terangreals, re-discover how to make Cueillendar / skimming and travelling are re-discovered / Egwen re-discovers travelling by entering the dream-world / Neal re-discovers power-forging /
Nyneave and Flinn independently discover how to heal "sealed Chanelers" / Nyneave discovers how to heal the madness induced from the Taint / Rand discovers how to Cleans Saidin /
…etc

But, otherwise, for 3000 years… nothing happened (at least in term of techs). Hawking armies, or Manetheren ..etc were as trained and as powerful as the one existing during Rand-time.

In some ways, Aiels did not move (either in tech or policies) since Hawking (or even before)… yet they are the more powerful army in the world and they have decent channelers (if less powerful than AesSedai), and a decent governing system. And as Rand can be considered of the Aiel (due to them being his first armies): you can even consider them to have one of the strongest ties with the Dragon / light / whatever. As Rand imposed the Dragon-peace, the Aiels were a strong contender for the diplomacy victory (even if Rand did not manage the Dragon Peace as a "World leader thing"… but he might have… if things happened differently… and there are no other contender for a diplomacy victory in Rand-Land, save, maybe, Andor… but mostly because Rand gave away much to Elayne, by love of her).
Only drawback is that they are neither- prestige victory oriented nor cultural victory oriented nor diplomacy (as in the WT-version you favor)

I don't know how it could be done for a fun civ-game. But IMO linking the victory of the LB only to techs (ie, as you said: if it happens too early the nations will not have the adequate techs to win) ie: you need to have the adequate techs so that you can break seals AND have strong enough armies… would be imposing a limitation on the world itself.

I'm not saying it would be easy to mod, only that the Rand-World doesn't really feel adapted to the "progressive-tech-tree" of vanilla Civ, even more than the real world.
IMO a wide-tree is more adapted than a deep-tree.
It can even easier to make it wider than in civ4 as you have already 2 types of progression trees: techs and policies.

-ie: fewer techs, but Age of Dragon "entry-techs" are hideously expensive;… but you get a 500%discount if: world Era is "Era of Dragon" or if "LB has started" or if;..I don't Know.
Another
-fewer techs but you get Ta'veren people that enable to advance a "World Era Tree" (made by wonders/etc) : these "World Era Tree" works for the entire world and opens tech paths / policy trees that were closed to every-body before that.
(in Rand-Land the world does not work like on Earth : the ages has breakthrough through use of Ta'veren : Era of the High-king happened due to a Ta'veren guy: Hawking…etc)
Maybe the Era-of-the-High-King is triggered when a Ta'veren guy: Hawking is build by a civ, he cast his spell : "Become High-King" which is a double-edeged sword :
-acts as a "military golden-age" give bigger armies / very powerful units / improved promotions.
-however Hawking then has 15-20 turns until he dies.
-after those 15-20 turns : all gifted units die, all units with improved promotion have 50% of going barb, and the conquered cities have 50%chances of going back to their original civ (or creating a new civ if the original is dead), converting the nearby units / cities have a few turns of internal disorder..Etc
And:
-change Era
- - > open new techs/policies or give research reduction to all future techs/policies ..Etc

That means: you have 15-20 turns to conquer much thing, but you won't be able to keep all of it (only a big part): you gain more by using hawking than having the neighbour using him … but it's still something difficult.

Having Prophecy-type GWs affect the turn order for controlling the Dragon seems really cool. Counterpoint has said elsewhere about the complexity of making specific GWs do specific things in game - it is a very complex one. The GW system is also very complicated and I'm fairly sure the AI is quite bad at it already - this adds an extra component to that. Giving specific bonuses like intelligence on where key Light "elements" (analogues to Mat and Perrin in a given game) is extremely difficult to do symmetrically with the player and the AI. Even working out "what" to tell them in a given game is a big problem (what information is useful?). Then telling the player is just throwing a notification at them, but telling the AI involves making the AI understand the ramifications of that information and prioritize their actions accordingly.
you misunderstood me.

But as an exercise, the kinds of problems we have with the above prophecies:

Fall of a city due the Dragon's actions - massively frustrating if it happens to human players - potentially derails their entire game (at least partially based on randomness), which has been going on for 12+ hours at this point.

"True Dragon appears near Dragonmount" is kind of what we have - it happens and is clear to all players. I think this works.

"Heron marks on the unit model" is impossible for the AI to interpret.
it's exactly as you said: those are story-specific.
But if you add prophecies, it is not mandatory to make them "specific" !

I'm not proposing that specific prophecies appear. In the same way that when a Great-work is done, you don't reproduce all of the Great Work.
Just that you have Prophets GP that can create small prophecies or Great Prophecies.
Small prophecies help your empire in some way (how would fore-knowledge of something could help, I don't know: better police ? less rebellions ? easier to intercept raids ? ….
Great-Prophecies are called "Prophecy of J… " Prophecy of… " and you can either use the name of the Prophet or another thing.
Either you have the prophecy, or you can set people / production project / aes-sedai / GP to "study the prophecy of X".

Great-Prophecies don't do much by themselves.

However the more Prophecies (or the more you study them), the more you can use the Dragon or recognise him (or maybe other special units) - - > that way it represents that "you know what the Dragon will do / can do ", without even going on specifics.
Maybe having a prophecy (or having someone study that prophecy) can be "used-up" as a "1 turn of use of the Dragon independently of the normal order": like a cheat in the rooster.
So getting all the prophecies enable to direct the dragon-unit/spy/whatever more than other civs independently of the faith ; but when you used it up, we go back to the faith/light/prestige rooster.

Alternatively, "Prophecy of shadow" gives you 1-2 chances to "move the Dragon" even if you are not light, or maybe gives you 1-2-3 chances of "invoque Dark forces and send them to Ta'veren people" : you get to chose which Ta'veren, even if you don't know where they are, and you "use-up-the prophecy" : dark-hounds, or Trollocs …etc appear near the targeted unit.

Having Prophecies /studying them could only be used as a mean to open "events" for the caster, with choices to make.

Prophecies could be used to recognize the Dragon from the False Dragons (then they are not 1-use-only, but useable each time there is a Dragon.

The dragon unit is already decided as the "true dragon", but you won't see it.
But with prophecies (or studying them) you can get a "that male channeler has 50%chance of being the True Dragon"… with more prophecies, you can narrow it: 30% chances or 70% chances…etc
When you have found a Dragon with 80% chances you can open more interesting options for interacting with the dragon…Etc

Alternatively, Prophecies could give you quests (randomised depending on the state of the world at that time) that give bonus to the dragon.
"Prophecy of Callandor": "have the dragon conquer this City State: allows the "Callandor Angreal": if anybody else does it, it odesn't fulfill the prophecy.
If you take the CS yourself: you can give it to the "Dragon Faction".

"Prophecy of the Deal": make a deal with the Dragon faction ; reward: faith, cost : give ships/ world map / food ?...etc

"Prophecy of the Dragon's birth": allow to know that the Dragon reborn is "born" (ie that the Age of the Dragon has started… (normally you will not know). (or allow you do pin-point where the dragon was born : reveal the tile ? place a marker…etc): it needs not be the "DragonMount"
Thus you can "search for the Dragon"… and you might find him (and use him?) even before the Dragon is "recognized publicly" and everybody has to share him.
..etc

Your imagination is the only limit. (and coding for the AI). But the AI issue can be dealt with IMO by using spells/ actions that cannot really be directed by the player.

Do the characters know about the Wheel or is that always narrator-level information? They know about the Pattern, but do they know the repeating cycle? Isn't that always part of the "A wind whipped across...as it was, is now, and will be again..." intro?

Balefire and ta'veren might be a way that they know about the Pattern - they have observable effects on the world that are explained by a Pattern-based theory. (Then again, most people think ta'veren are myths in AotD.) I'm not sure, maybe it is just a "religious" belief.
well, while in the AoD it is mostly myths, those myths are based on better knowledge from the AoL (same as the Trollocs and Fades that are thought by many to be superstitions… (especially seanchan) until they meet one).
Further ther is the horn of Valere which summons heros of the past… and Suan that can "see ta'veren".
And IIRC Ogiers (or the Vegetal guy that died during the hunt for the horn book) have a deeper understanding of the pattern. So maybe normal-humans cannot really see it, but those that discussed (in the past) with Ogiers or those vegetal guys could get information/proof on that.
Then when you know someone has proof, you don't always need to see it to believe.
(like blind people do not dis-proof the existence of colours).

Alignment is now tracked separately for each player, Faith is just a normal yield like it is in base CiV (we use it for different things than base CiV, but it no longer represents "brightness" as well as being a "spendable currency"). Faith is one of the primary rewards for a player having a Light-leaning alignment. Players with Shadow-leaning alignment suffer faith penaltie
so in fact, faith is not separated from brightness :D : faith is deeply linked to alignement as it is the reward for alignement

We could make faith generation and its consequences more WoT-like and divergent from base CiV, but that's a lot of work. I'm not saying we should always shy away from new mechanics that are difficult to do, but we should also pick our battles for entirely new mechanics.
It is not really new mechanics as new balance.
The WoT and the LB are new mechanics.
Changing how religion work is not really a new mechanic (as in "code-mechanic"). All the mechanism are already in place. We "just" have to re-arrange things. Coding-wise it is somewhat easy.
What is very hard (and on this I totally agree with you) is that it changes completely the balance… and balancing is hard.

Sorry to appear just to disappear for a bit, but I've got a crazy week going on - so after this post I'll most likely have to be back on Monday evening!

OK, so I have a little bit of time after reading your posts and I thought I should respond to this section of it first, and come back to the rest later.

Incidentally, your "serious" word-created post is rocking a nice 1,519 words. I don't mean to scare you by my in-progress Channeling posts currently rests at 11,000 something words. Yeah, it's getting nice a fat..... will try to finish it soon. Don't worry, it's not just a rant - I'm trying to be systematic, as you know I try to be.

Incidentally, did you enter in all the bb code and/or have to use the civfanatics interface to do all this formatting? I am *not* liking the idea of having to find each and every word I want bold when I paste in the post - is there a way to copy the format from a .doc file or something?

I'm afraid I wrote into word with proper formatting and then manually reconstructed the formatting after I'd pasted it into CivFanatics. Possible but tedious with 1,519 words and positively herculean with 11,000. (And I wrote all of the above posts in one sitting yesterday! :p)

Damn, this makes me sad, but I already see an issue here - your Shadow victory conditions aren't what [I think] we agreed upon previously. I don't know if this was a deliberate change or your part, or an omission - either way, it seems important enough that we shouldn't just ignore it. From the "Last Battle Summary" document (only 2431 words) which was created based on our prior conversation history:

It wasn't, by my understanding, necessary that one shadow civ control all of the light capitals - all they need is to control them "as a team."

Obviously this also includes the "must destroy the dragon" condition, which I could do without as it is rather minor - seemed like good flavor though - any sort of "injury" to the dragon kills him once the other conditions have been met. One issue with this is that the once the shadow has one 99% of the game, and then they break the seals, it does force them to hunt down the dragon, allowing one last "hail mary" pass from the Light. Oh crap, you guys are all European. That's an American Football term. You know, that really fun sport you guys all hate. It means a last chance, high-risk attempt.

The last one is the major discrepancy here - the "other" victory condition needing to be reached after (or before) the Light civs have been "defeated". This is somebody becoming Nae'blis. The important reasons this was added, by my estimation, are A) To foster competition between the dark players, and B) to provide a path to victory for cultural or scientific or diplomatic darkside players.

Maybe the "normal" condition makes it *too hard* for a shadow civ - if not this, than what can we do to support the notion of a science shadow civ, for example?

The path to victory outlined in your post rewards only domination type players. I think this may undermine a lot of the balancing we've done in the past weeks trying to figure out ways for different civ playstyles to thrive in the Lightside - taking this away negates the main way that can happen on the Shadow.

Of course, requiring a "normal" victory as well also means there might be a good chunk of game where the Light has been eliminated but things aren't over, while shadow (and neutral?) civs vie for final victory. Is this worth the benefits we get from the agreed-upon system (as opposed to the one you suggest here)? If we scrap the previous system, what can we do to make the shadow victory not just a domination-fest?

Anyways, I'm open to changing it, of course, but I don't quite get why it's been summarily dismissed.... Your method is quite simpler, though I think there's a chance it'll be too easy for the shadow, and has all the issues I stated above. Convince me!

Importantly, I'm not sure it changes much of your post - just moves the timing of things a bit differently for the shadow dudes, is all

Sorry, massive oversight on my part. I was only thinking about "winning the Last Battle" and forgot about how the Shadow "winning the game" is more complex. Still completely on board with the overall system from your summary! (Where the Shadow player needs to win an additional victory and the Dragon needs to be killed at the end.) Like you've said, this only really shifts the post-LB timeline for Shadow players, I don't think it negatively impacts the Seals mechanics.

OK. I agree with all of this. Question, though - what is the seal-finder unit? Just an archaeologist?

Unless we have a more flavorful idea. We hadn't fully decided on this one before, but I picked one of our possible approaches just to make the document more clear. (The other is merging the Seals into the antiquity sites and therefore overlapping with the cultural victory, which we haven't assessed the viability of yet.)

Great. The only concern I have hear is with the AI. How will they know when it is appropriate to send the seal to somebody else? Would a human player trust an AI to handle this stuff?

Good concern and it's a lot of work. The AI will inevitably have problems with any system we devise, but I think this is a fair compromise between complexity and AI understandability. I don't doubt we'll have some dumb decisions on the AI's part, but I think avoiding them completely (as we've seen elsewhere) takes the soul out of a lot of the mechanics, because we have to make them so directly number-based value judgements.

OK, second concern. Does the civ have to accept the Seal voluntarily? It's obviously a bit of a burden to have them, and it does certainly make the destination city a target. I wouldn't want a shadow civ sending it to another shadow civ's vulnerable city in order to draw the ire of the Light forces. Or, a more unintentional example - a light civ gives a seal to his science/production-focus friend, unknowing that that guy's city is about to be sacked - two turns later, science guy is saddled with unwelcome bubbles of evil, etc.

Having to accept the Seal is probably a good idea - more for the Shadow case you mention. I quite like it and we can definitely do that. If the player refusing also causes the Seal's movement to be consumed, then that meshes well with the stealing stuff. If you're trying to blindly move the Seal to keep it from being stolen, you'll get tripped up. This means we'll likely need a way to negotiate with the AI though - ask them if they'd accept the Seal.

I'm not sure what you mean on the second part. Having an unbroken Seal is a bonus, not a penalty. Even if science guy (who's under siege) accepts the Seal, it will actually help him defend himself, though it is putting the Seal at risk. The Bubbles of evil etc are consequences of breaking the Seals.

OK, the only thing I "question" here is the final point - extra XP for units? Howcome? I guess this is cool, but I can imagine other things being the benefit instead. Is this just sort of random (not necessarily a bad thing) or is there a specific justification here? I don't this has come up before.

Yeah, that was new. I'm not particularly attached to it, I was more just showing the kinds of bonuses we could give out. What other benefits make sense? I agree that I'm finding it hard to come up with an in-universe justification for the extra XP, just that gameplay wise it makes your position more defensible.

I'm probably ok with it, but I worry about what would happen if a single civ tries to horde seals. I wouldn't want (Lightside) civs doing things against the best interest of the team just so they can get an extra 5 EXP on unit creation.

True, and having any bonus on Seal possession is at risk of this. I think if one player is in a well defended location and can hoard Seals, then they're welcome to - but when it comes time to break them, they'll likely want to distribute them. I think the static bonuses from the Seal shouldn't offset the disadvantages of one being broken (for the Light players) so it will be in their best interests to give them away if the Shadow comes a'knockin'.

Don't forget diminished food (etc.?) yields

Yes, reduced yields too! :D

Just to be clear, there are no longer any "group project" things concerning seals?

Yeah, I haven't included any direct group projects. There is still room for the other projects I think we discussed a while back (Light players working together on project X and if more than 50 hammers per turn goes into it, all Light civs units have +15 starting XP - things like that), but I think we're better keeping the Seals individual.

OK, I think you imply this elsewhere, but I want to confirms as it is confusing here. The Dragon spawns only when the "Light civs collectively control all remaining unbroken Seals of the Dark One"? Shouldn't this have a "OR all Seals have been Broken"? Right? Like if the shadow breaks them all, Randy spawns, right?

I like this, though.

Yes, breaking all of the Seals spawns the Dragon!

OK, I like this, though I am again concerned about the AI, or in general, the communication required for something like "They don't necessarily want to break the last Seal they have." How would this be agreed upon? These guys are enemies.

I don't think it would be agreed upon, which makes it more likely that Shadow civs might play it safe and keep a Seal back - they don't know another Shadow civ has one (and if they plan to break it now) - which presents more stealing opportunities for the Light. It's quite dependent on scouting. Unless one guy is confident in his ability to fight/waylay the Dragon, in which case he might be conquering his "fearful" 'allies' (as well as the Light) for Seals in order to break them.

Sure, though I can actually understand a neutral civ who is reasonably close to victory giving away their Seal in order to divert an upcoming invasion. They'd need to be reasonably sure the Light and/or Shadow wasn't going to win quickly as a consequence.

Yeah, that's a valid strategy too. If we go with players needing to "accept" being given the Seal, then we basically already need to implement the "trading Seals" mechanic to do it. It's a small step from there to allow players to "ransom" Seals that they own.

I like it. However, *again*, I'm highly suspicious of the AI's ability to do well with the timing of all of this - blame yourself for making me suspicious of the AI. Even human players in MP, it seems, would have to jump through hoops to properly communicate about this stuff and reach an agreement.

You're right to be suspicious! I see the Light players as needing to agree more than Shadow, which is already the case with our other mechanics. Even then, in practice, we're discussing a lot of edge cases and making sure that they're handled correctly. (If this guy has this prerequisite state and these Seals and can move them to the following places) This is good, but I think the general case is a bit simpler than a lot of our examples.

The Light and neutral AI defends their Seals as well as they can - Light switches over to destroy mode if they can capture Thakan'dar. The Shadow AI needs to weigh up the number of Seals it has seen broken, the number that are left in the world, and the number it controls to see if it wants to break the one(s) it has. In most cases, a Shadow civ with more than one Seal will want to break all but one almost for 100% sure.

That's the high level of how I see the AIs making their decisions and they can make them largely in isolation. A team of humans would be able to make more optimal decisions, but I don't think we'll ever be able to best that.

I think that'll do it for me. I'll take a look at the rest of this and respond, hopefully soon. Should have Book 15 of the Wheel of Time done by the weekend, I hope.

Oooohh, book 15! :D Looking forward to channeling fun.

not what I proposed: it's the reverse:
The last battle starts with the earliest of :
-World Era = Age of Dragon
-last Seal (or second to last Seal) is broken.

-- > it will not push the LB back, only allow for it to happen earlier… for example if someone wants to rush the end-game.
-- there could be ways to balance that: triggering the 3rd to last Seal awaken the Dragon and pushes every-body to Era of Dragon?

Ah, I see what you mean! Ok, yeah, that makes a lot of sense, allowing a player to rush the end-game via the Seals. I didn't think of this before because I thought we discussed the Seals being very difficult to break before the Last Battle starts, so it would be impractical for most of the Seals to be broken before then. But you're right, a runaway civ that already controls a large portion of the map could possibly have the production/research capacity to break enough Seals this way, while everyone else is far behind. (He's need to do it before reaching the Fourth Age himself) I'm fine with this being an additional trigger condition though.

Think of it like this: the world of the WoT teched a bit during the After-Breaking… (mostly medieval-like armies, and how to get warders) but parallely they lost a lot of knowledge. Afterwards, for about 2000 years... there was almost no progressions of "techs". (save, maybe on the seachan side : political techs, and adam)
It's only in the Era of Dragons that new techs appear : academies of the Dragon (trains/printing…etc), Aldura invents cannons and hand-grenades, quicker crossbows are developed by …?? Someone Mat encounters (or rand) ? Bashere invents the Legion : new organisation of armies: X-bow trained on shield-and-short-sword work / Rand Founds the Black-Tower.
Elayne re-discover how to make angreals/terangreals, re-discover how to make Cueillendar / skimming and travelling are re-discovered / Egwen re-discovers travelling by entering the dream-world / Neal re-discovers power-forging /
Nyneave and Flinn independently discover how to heal "sealed Chanelers" / Nyneave discovers how to heal the madness induced from the Taint / Rand discovers how to Cleans Saidin /
…etc

But, otherwise, for 3000 years… nothing happened (at least in term of techs). Hawking armies, or Manetheren ..etc were as trained and as powerful as the one existing during Rand-time.

We definitely know a lot more about the technologies that were developed in the Age of the Dragon because they're dealt with directly in the books - I think this is similar to the increased rate of technology we see in the CiV tree (and reality). I don't think nothing really happened in the previous two/three millennia though - our starting point in After Breaking is that "human civilization has been destroyed". The Age of Legends was a few centuries before the "beginning of the game" and the intervening channeling chaos has destroyed everything. So people are rediscovering the basics of human civilization - from which we can draw a lot of parallels from reality.

There are a lot of existing mods that "extend" the older portions of the game (add eras before Ancient or increase the number of techs) and I was thinking we would be doing a similar thing - have a more granular notion of a single "technology" than base CiV. That way the difference between "no civilization at all" and "medieval era style tech" can be covered over the course of those 3000 years. The kinds of things I was thinking of for this are shown earlier on in this topic (many pages ago, before you or counterpoint started posting) - where there are some screenshots of the tech tree as I've modified it so far. (My modifications are obviously going to be subject to change!)

In some ways, Aiels did not move (either in tech or policies) since Hawking (or even before)… yet they are the more powerful army in the world and they have decent channelers (if less powerful than AesSedai), and a decent governing system. And as Rand can be considered of the Aiel (due to them being his first armies): you can even consider them to have one of the strongest ties with the Dragon / light / whatever. As Rand imposed the Dragon-peace, the Aiels were a strong contender for the diplomacy victory (even if Rand did not manage the Dragon Peace as a "World leader thing"… but he might have… if things happened differently… and there are no other contender for a diplomacy victory in Rand-Land, save, maybe, Andor… but mostly because Rand gave away much to Elayne, by love of her).
Only drawback is that they are neither- prestige victory oriented nor cultural victory oriented nor diplomacy (as in the WT-version you favor)

I don't know how it could be done for a fun civ-game. But IMO linking the victory of the LB only to techs (ie, as you said: if it happens too early the nations will not have the adequate techs to win) ie: you need to have the adequate techs so that you can break seals AND have strong enough armies… would be imposing a limitation on the world itself.

I'm not saying it would be easy to mod, only that the Rand-World doesn't really feel adapted to the "progressive-tech-tree" of vanilla Civ, even more than the real world.
IMO a wide-tree is more adapted than a deep-tree.
It can even easier to make it wider than in civ4 as you have already 2 types of progression trees: techs and policies.

When you say wider, do you mean like Pazyryk's Ea, where there are effectively multiple different tech trees that you can pursue at a time? Unlike in base CiV where everyone starts at agriculture and works forward, there are, say, 6 techs with no prerequisites that lead into separate branches?

Or do you mean the same style of single-source (Agriculture at the root of everything style) tree but make it extend out wider into having more techs available to research at a time?

Either of these approaches means largely discarding what we've discussed about eras/LB triggering. That's not necessarily bad, but we'd need a very good reason to do so - because I think those mechanics as we've discussed them are becoming quite stable, from a design perspective - they mesh well with the other things we have for the Last Battle.

This comes back to how far we want to go in changing the core way CiV works. I see what you mean that the WoT world isn't very science-focused whereas Earth is more so. Science as "progression" through the game is very core to the way CiV works. It's definitely not impossible for us to change that, but there are realistic limits to what we can achieve with things like that. Given the way we've been able to slot the WoT world into eras/techs like CiV, I'm not sure how much we gain from taking on the enormous rebalancing effort of not just swapping out and changing, but also restructuring the tech tree.

It's basically do we want the WoT world with CiV as the vessel or the game CiV set in the WoT world. I think we're intending to do the latter, but a complete tree restructure and reprioritization of "progression" to make culture/diplo more central is more of the former. I'm not inherently opposed to changing core components of CiV, but there need to be clear positives over the more CiV-like alternative. By fitting WoT into CiV (either approach) we will always be limiting the world of WoT from the "real" version in the books - the decision is how far we want to go with that, and balancing flavor (trueness to the source material and representative mechanics), gameplay (certain flavorful things might not be fun to play - likewise some unflavorful things might be fun, so we compromise both ways sometimes), and complexity (we have only one person doing code, at least for now, so we can only realistically do so much).

-ie: fewer techs, but Age of Dragon "entry-techs" are hideously expensive;… but you get a 500%discount if: world Era is "Era of Dragon" or if "LB has started" or if;..I don't Know.
Another
-fewer techs but you get Ta'veren people that enable to advance a "World Era Tree" (made by wonders/etc) : these "World Era Tree" works for the entire world and opens tech paths / policy trees that were closed to every-body before that.
(in Rand-Land the world does not work like on Earth : the ages has breakthrough through use of Ta'veren : Era of the High-king happened due to a Ta'veren guy: Hawking…etc)
Maybe the Era-of-the-High-King is triggered when a Ta'veren guy: Hawking is build by a civ, he cast his spell : "Become High-King" which is a double-edeged sword :
-acts as a "military golden-age" give bigger armies / very powerful units / improved promotions.
-after those 15-20 turns : all gifted units die, all units with improved promotion have 50% of going barb, and the conquered cities have 50%chances of going back to their original civ (or creating a new civ if the original is dead), converting the nearby units / cities have a few turns of internal disorder..Etc
And:
-change Era
- - > open new techs/policies or give research reduction to all future techs/policies ..Etc

That means: you have 15-20 turns to conquer much thing, but you won't be able to keep all of it (only a big part): you gain more by using hawking than having the neighbour using him … but it's still something difficult.

Currently we've got two big time-triggered events: the Trolloc Wars and the Last Battle. And that does leave a big gap in the middle where a mechanic like this could take place - Hawkwing's even at the right time. One discussion here is whether we want to let the game be more "CiV-like" for the middle, because all three of our events are relatively militarily prescriptive this way.

I like the flavor of the empire that collapses after the High King dies. I'm a bit worried about frustrating the player that way. And at the same time worried about the opposite case - where we can't properly contain the player who's good at the game. But I do like the idea, for a few reasons.

Base CiV is a bit runaway-ish, in that one civ tends to pull ahead and once they get far enough ahead it snowballs and they become unstoppable. Given that Artur Hawkwing was born in a relatively small country (right?) and rose up to conquer huge swathes of land, we could use this High King mechanic to mitigate the runaway factor. We could always give the High King to a small civ and potentially swing the game massively.

Question about that though: will it ever happen to the player? It seems a real shame to preclude them from this cool mechanic because they're good at CiV. At the same time we don't want to give it to them so they can just run off and win immediately. I'm curious what counterpoint thinks about this!

it's exactly as you said: those are story-specific.
But if you add prophecies, it is not mandatory to make them "specific" !

I'm not proposing that specific prophecies appear. In the same way that when a Great-work is done, you don't reproduce all of the Great Work.
Just that you have Prophets GP that can create small prophecies or Great Prophecies.
Small prophecies help your empire in some way (how would fore-knowledge of something could help, I don't know: better police ? less rebellions ? easier to intercept raids ? ….
Great-Prophecies are called "Prophecy of J… " Prophecy of… " and you can either use the name of the Prophet or another thing.
Either you have the prophecy, or you can set people / production project / aes-sedai / GP to "study the prophecy of X".

Great-Prophecies don't do much by themselves.

However the more Prophecies (or the more you study them), the more you can use the Dragon or recognise him (or maybe other special units) - - > that way it represents that "you know what the Dragon will do / can do ", without even going on specifics.
Maybe having a prophecy (or having someone study that prophecy) can be "used-up" as a "1 turn of use of the Dragon independently of the normal order": like a cheat in the rooster.
So getting all the prophecies enable to direct the dragon-unit/spy/whatever more than other civs independently of the faith ; but when you used it up, we go back to the faith/light/prestige rooster.

Alternatively, "Prophecy of shadow" gives you 1-2 chances to "move the Dragon" even if you are not light, or maybe gives you 1-2-3 chances of "invoque Dark forces and send them to Ta'veren people" : you get to chose which Ta'veren, even if you don't know where they are, and you "use-up-the prophecy" : dark-hounds, or Trollocs …etc appear near the targeted unit.

Having Prophecies /studying them could only be used as a mean to open "events" for the caster, with choices to make.

Prophecies could be used to recognize the Dragon from the False Dragons (then they are not 1-use-only, but useable each time there is a Dragon.

But with prophecies (or studying them) you can get a "that male channeler has 50%chance of being the True Dragon"… with more prophecies, you can narrow it: 30% chances or 70% chances…etc
When you have found a Dragon with 80% chances you can open more interesting options for interacting with the dragon…Etc

Alternatively, Prophecies could give you quests (randomised depending on the state of the world at that time) that give bonus to the dragon.
"Prophecy of Callandor": "have the dragon conquer this City State: allows the "Callandor Angreal": if anybody else does it, it odesn't fulfill the prophecy.
If you take the CS yourself: you can give it to the "Dragon Faction".

"Prophecy of the Deal": make a deal with the Dragon faction ; reward: faith, cost : give ships/ world map / food ?...etc

"Prophecy of the Dragon's birth": allow to know that the Dragon reborn is "born" (ie that the Age of the Dragon has started… (normally you will not know). (or allow you do pin-point where the dragon was born : reveal the tile ? place a marker…etc): it needs not be the "DragonMount"
Thus you can "search for the Dragon"… and you might find him (and use him?) even before the Dragon is "recognized publicly" and everybody has to share him.
..etc

Your imagination is the only limit. (and coding for the AI). But the AI issue can be dealt with IMO by using spells/ actions that cannot really be directed by the player.

Right, ok! I see where I got confused before and yeah, I think there are a lot of really cool ideas here. It sounds like this could become a part of the events that take place over the course of the game that affect players' alignments? That a subset of these events are related to Prophecies. Are we still considering Prophecies to be GWs or are they separate entirely?

I'm not sure which of the two options (separate or GWs) I'm more of a fan of. GWs crowds the culture system a bit, but it does mean that they have an already established way of being managed by the player. Separate is more complex, but can potentially allow for splashier effects and also prevents certain GWs from being inherently better/mechanically different from others.

so in fact, faith is not separated from brightness :D : faith is deeply linked to alignement as it is the reward for alignement

Yes, and alignment only really comes into play in the end-game. I'm not sure where the conflict is with faith/lineage/alignment. Is it a flavor issue or mechanical? We discussed the options for how we could reclassify pantheons at length a few pages ago and lineage rose to the top on that one. I think your main suggestion is that we don't use the structure of CiV's religion system, but I think this is something that we can use without considerable loss and as you've said, this is a super complicated mod. (And I'm currently the only person who will be implementing our changes - I can already see from what we want to do that this will take me a very long time.)

I'm not saying we should never look at replacing this with a more WoT-like system in the future. But given our feature set, I think the Path system works really well for significantly less cost.

It is not really new mechanics as new balance.
The WoT and the LB are new mechanics.
Changing how religion work is not really a new mechanic (as in "code-mechanic"). All the mechanism are already in place. We "just" have to re-arrange things. Coding-wise it is somewhat easy.
What is very hard (and on this I totally agree with you) is that it changes completely the balance… and balancing is hard.

I wouldn't go with easy but it's definitely easier than an entirely new system. Remember that the way religions work and give bonuses in base CiV is largely set up to do exactly what base CiV does with its bonuses and nothing more. Things I added in SiegeMod, for example, were the capability for beliefs to provide yield bonuses to specific terrain types, a building that can modify religious pressure in the city it's built in, a technology that can modify religious pressure in the city it's built in, a unique unit that when it kills another unit it spawns a (correctly religiously associated) faith spreading unit. Each of those additions (and more like them) required separate and new C++ code to be slotted into the CiV religion system (and some other surprising places) to make them possible - despite the fact that they look like "variants" on the way existing things work. Those are new "mechanics" in that they're a new way that the game can work - they're just much smaller individually than something entirely new like the "Last Battle," which itself contains multiple individual mechanics.

When we supe up and/or change the Founder/Follower beliefs, we'll inevitably do things that Firaxis' code doesn't support. So it's not like we're just renaming stuff. (Caveat: we are just renaming stuff for Pantheons, for the bevy of reasons discussed a few pages ago when we were deciding on the Path system)

I think both of these require us to firm up what form "Boons" take (bonuses for Shadow civs, provided by the Dark One). I don't think we've said much on this aside from that Boons are intended to be a corresponding bonus to Shadow players as Paths are to Light players.

I really like swieczq's specific example in terms of "followers of the Dark One". Now, I'm aware we discussed something like this before - but I think we can make this different. Don't make "followers of the Dark One" (or whatever we call it) a religion. It's more like a citizen/specialist. They can have yields that way (yields toward generating Shadowspawn during the Last Battle - much like Specialists yields GP points, Shadowspawn would presumably just be cheaper). They can also have ongoing yields that offset the loss of faith rewards (though you're likely to get Follower boosts from someone else's Path if you're Shadow, so something along the lines of Founder bonuses?)

The flipside of this - we're trying not to be "this civ is evil" for the majority of the game. Does that preclude us from having "Darkfriend" specialists? Does "working" a Darkfriend specialist produce "Shadow Points" that move your Alignment towards Shadow? (This seems to make sense.) Lots of questions to be answered if we want to do something like that. Even if we don't, Boons need some formalizing (who delivers them, when, what kinds of benefits they are).

OK, Mr. Crazy Idea Man, here are my thoughts.

You're on the right track here, maybe. Maybe this is the "Darkfriend Presence" in your cities, instead of there being a DF unit or a spy-like mechanic.
I would say that I think these units need to not be consciously added by the player - they represent the underbelly of your society. Perhaps every civ has them, though your alignment would greatly affect their numbers. Maybe during the LB, finally you can "recruit" more of them, but even then, I like the idea of them just being there whether you like it or not - but certain ideologies or buildings might affect this.
the other element is that you described a lot of thigns that they might contribute to, and I wouldn't want them to be "better" than non-DF citizens - just different.

Maybe they do move your alignment, but part of me things that they should be more of a symptom - not a cause - of your civ's alignment. This might be the better way for us to deal with the unhappiness associated with choosing a side against your alignment - perhaps the DFs, while producing yield, also produce unhappiness simultaneously.

My only worry is that this will feel very random from the defending player's perspective (the person controlling the Dragon). You have no direct way of finding enemy spies (you only find them as a consequence of their actions - at which point they've either already failed or it's too late). We could present this information (spy trying to attack the Dragon) to the defending player in some way, but I don't see how we could do that without a human player being able to always avoid this. If it were linked more to "greediness" on the part of the player controlling the Dragon, then that's a lot better. Given the available moves we've outlined that the Dragon can take though, what constitutes being greedy?

Ugh, I'm already hating this whole espionage thing. But then again, I'm one of those people who is honest all the time...

As far as the greediness, by this I mean something like the dragon lingering too long in one place, trying to get that extra DF or Seal. Or haunting one civ too much. The kind of thing that would allow the "Sauron's... er... the DO's gaze to fall on him"

Interesting, I hadn't thought of it repelling your borders. Does that mean that pushing back the Blight with culture is capturing those tiles? They just have added culture cost? Then at what rate do we degrade players' territory? They should be notified so they can redirect culture (which they can do?) to combat it?

Sounds good that no civs want Blight in their territory, regardless of alignment.

Funny, I'm hearing you repeat my own ideas back at me, and I'm not liking them as much anymore.

I do like Culture as the way the blight can be forced back, but losing territory technically... does that seem to harsh? It seemed like the simplest way to go - and it makes intuitive sense - but it would be lame to spend the entire game dealing with a few stupid tiles that keep flipping. I guess if we have the blight in mostly a "holding position" for the vast majority of the game, this wouldn't be a problem.

I'd say that it's probably best if the blight isn't *always* fighting its way into your civ. True, those tiles might always be harder to expand into (require more culture pts), but I think it's only in specific moments of DO-power - the TW, the Era of Enc. Blight, and the LB, that the Blight actually "moves in" on your civ - requiring a powerful culture push to keep it away.

Interesting that you've both gone for always existing here. I'd say I'm in favor of Thakan'dar spawning at the beginning of the Last Battle, for a variety of reasons. I've bolded a section of counterpoint's response that I think it quite important. There will definitely be a metagame around Thakan'dar if it's always on the map - Light civs (particularly forward-thinking human strategists) will definitely hem them in to minimize the Shadow's effectiveness and give themselves better staging grounds.

Illianor's suggestion goes a way to mitigating this, but there will be games where it doesn't work as planned and some player manages to take Thakan'dar in FY4. (People can be crazy good at CiV) On top of that, we'd need to implement specific AI logic to make the units around Thakan'dar act differently from all others in the game - defending this location, but not using their superior power to range farther (to prevent them from unbalancing the rest of the game). That's no small amount of effort with, from most players' perspective (if they leave it well alone, which we want them to), 0 payoff.

Pushing out the Blight (especially if we take counterpoint's suggestion above that Blight consumes territory) can be helpful, but it's just another thing that a good player will be able to circumvent. Crazy-culture-Shaka-you-to-death-guy will find some way to culture bomb his way deep into the Blight and capture Thakan'dar. Now, maybe that's a cool thing - a super challenge that most players wouldn't even try and can be an "endgame" for madmen looking for amazing challenges. But it throws a whole bunch of our later systems into a lurch - what does the Last Battle even do in this case? They've less completed an impossible challenge than broken the game.

The reason I suggested spawning Thakan'dar near a Shadow civ (if there is one near the Blight) is so that it would have "backup" of some form. No Shadow civ is going to just let the Light civs take it - since he will lose as a consequence. If Thakan'dar spawns on a Light-civ-only continent, then it might have some difficulties.

Yeah, you have made your points, and I agree with you, for sure. It was only a "feel" thing that led me to prefer what I previously preferred. Let's just try to keep civs out of the deep parts of the blight for the first half of the game so we can keep a cloud of smoke around it (kinda lame if a knight is sitting in the blight and BAM Thakandar appears). Also, are we calling it Thakandar, or Shayol Ghul?

That will force borderline players onto the Light side though, right? That might not be an issue - the penalties the player will incur by picking Shadow "against" their slight Light alignment probably won't be too severe. They clearly weren't that committed to it if the Dragon's effect swung them onto the other side entirely anyway.

Maybe some civs being "forced" to one side is part of the game, and one of the interesting characteristics of playing "the middle." I don't see it as a problem. I mena, that's what Rand was doing, convincing people who were on the fence. If that person's like "but I was going to be shadow!" then I'd just suggest next time they actually *play that way.*

In general, I'm still not so sold that we HAVE to allow tons of player agency. I mean, a totally epic Light civ with maxed Light points.... should he really be able to be shadow? I mean, sure, its at their own risk with the epic unhappiness, but.... just seems crazy weird to me. Now, that said, I think this civ SHOULD be very much able to reject the dragon peace and go neutral!

Ugh, I'm not so sure. This could be very early. If we look at the base CiV tech tree, this would be when half or more of the civs are in the Classical era or one civ reaches the Medieval era. Turn 50 maybe? Is that too fast? We could wait for *all* civilizations to reach the Era of Nations, but then it's open to a bit of abuse where a player keeps a weak AI alive to delay the clock. That isn't so bad at the early game though - even with one city, most players will reach the classical era early enough. Perhaps we can tweak this when it's playable? We can go with world era unless it proves to be too fast.

Remind me why we can't just do something like "20 turns after the World Era becomes Era of Nations? True, in some games, a couple civs might be well into the Era of Freedom, but that's already a risk, since using world era means that sometimes a runaway civ would trigger it by getting far ahead in tech.

OK, gotta go teach a class! more later (tomorrow?)

dang it! I wrote up a post replying to several of calavante's previous things and..... totally hit "preview" and never actually committed it.

Oh well, goodbye half-hour. I'll rewrite some of it later.

I'm afraid I wrote into word with proper formatting and then manually reconstructed the formatting after I'd pasted it into CivFanatics. Possible but tedious with 1,519 words and positively herculean with 11,000. (And I wrote all of the above posts in one sitting yesterday! )
what I do is directly type the [ b ] [/ b] in the word document so it is directly formatted for this forum
On word I put an "automated correction" with "bb" corrects in [ b ] and /bb in [/ b ]..
When you say wider, do you mean like Pazyryk's Ea, where there are effectively multiple different tech trees that you can pursue at a time? Unlike in base CiV where everyone starts at agriculture and works forward, there are, say, 6 techs with no prerequisites that lead into separate branches?

Or do you mean the same style of single-source (Agriculture at the root of everything style) tree but make it extend out wider into having more techs available to research at a time?

Either of these approaches means largely discarding what we've discussed about eras/LB triggering. That's not necessarily bad, but we'd need a very good reason to do so - because I think those mechanics as we've discussed them are becoming quite stable, from a design perspective - they mesh well with the other things we have for the Last Battle.

This comes back to how far we want to go in changing the core way CiV works. I see what you mean that the WoT world isn't very science-focused whereas Earth is more so. Science as "progression" through the game is very core to the way CiV works. It's definitely not impossible for us to change that, but there are realistic limits to what we can achieve with things like that. Given the way we've been able to slot the WoT world into eras/techs like CiV, I'm not sure how much we gain from taking on the enormous rebalancing effort of not just swapping out and changing, but also restructuring the tech tree.

It's basically do we want the WoT world with CiV as the vessel or the game CiV set in the WoT world. I think we're intending to do the latter, but a complete tree restructure and reprioritization of "progression" to make culture/diplo more central is more of the former. I'm not inherently opposed to changing core components of CiV, but there need to be clear positives over the more CiV-like alternative. By fitting WoT into CiV (either approach) we will always be limiting the world of WoT from the "real" version in the books - the decision is how far we want to go with that, and balancing flavor (trueness to the source material and representative mechanics), gameplay (certain flavorful things might not be fun to play - likewise some unflavorful things might be fun, so we compromise both ways sometimes), and complexity (we have only one person doing code, at least for now, so we can only realistically do so much).
Exactly: either 5-6 starting claims or 1-2 starting that open 5-6 other claims.
Either Ea, or fall from heaven (or its modmod) are good example.

And I agree on the choice that you explain very clearly… (in bold)
Having a clear position on how you want to mod : "WoT using CiV engine", or "civ disguised as WoT" is really important to know what kind of feed-back you need. Especially it will change what (and how) I propose ideas or criticize….

Currently we've got two big time-triggered events: the Trolloc Wars and the Last Battle. And that does leave a big gap in the middle where a mechanic like this could take place - Hawkwing's even at the right time. One discussion here is whether we want to let the game be more "CiV-like" for the middle, because all three of our events are relatively militarily prescriptive this way.

I like the flavor of the empire that collapses after the High King dies. I'm a bit worried about frustrating the player that way. And at the same time worried about the opposite case - where we can't properly contain the player who's good at the game. But I do like the idea, for a few reasons.

Base CiV is a bit runaway-ish, in that one civ tends to pull ahead and once they get far enough ahead it snowballs and they become unstoppable. Given that Artur Hawkwing was born in a relatively small country (right?) and rose up to conquer huge swathes of land, we could use this High King mechanic to mitigate the runaway factor. We could always give the High King to a small civ and potentially swing the game massively.

Question about that though: will it ever happen to the player? It seems a real shame to preclude them from this cool mechanic because they're good at CiV. At the same time we don't want to give it to them so they can just run off and win immediately. I'm curious what counterpoint thinks about this!
I think the only risk is "domination victory in 15turns".
Otherwise you won't realy become runaway, even using Hawking "action":
-> you gain huge military might …
But half your conquest disappear after 15turns
All your "free" military disappear
Half your "normal" military disappear.

However seen otherwise : after the event you keep 50% of your conquest
Some "freed" cities become entangled into your empire
You do not lose your initial cities
You lose some military… but normally you should have destroyed much more from the other civs.

It is a double edged sword.
You don't really want to use it… but you'd rather be the one using it than having other use it.

If the bad effects are worse for big civs and less an issue for small civs, you'll have a mechanics for which big civs will not want to use it, while small civs will be more inclined to use it.

(maybe Hawking event distribute known techs (or part of it) to all nearby civs?... so advanced civ will not want to spread their advantages, and weak civs will want to use it to "profit" from more advanced civs ??)

Right, ok! I see where I got confused before and yeah, I think there are a lot of really cool ideas here. It sounds like this could become a part of the events that take place over the course of the game that affect players' alignments? That a subset of these events are related to Prophecies. Are we still considering Prophecies to be GWs or are they separate entirely?

I'm not sure which of the two options (separate or GWs) I'm more of a fan of. GWs crowds the culture system a bit, but it does mean that they have an already established way of being managed by the player. Separate is more complex, but can potentially allow for splashier effects and also prevents certain GWs from being inherently better/mechanically different from others.
:D
For the GW/not GW part, I leave that to you, I don't have enough knowledge of modding that / or even of the management of GW
(maybe those could only not real GW, but great action for "special Talent" : Prophets can give "Great Prophecies", and Dreamer can build small and medium prophecies.--> incidentally it gives a bit of "ompf" to the Old-Talents... making using them as Old Talent instead of their normal GP action a real choice)

Yes, and alignment only really comes into play in the end-game. I'm not sure where the conflict is with faith/lineage/alignment. Is it a flavor issue or mechanical? We discussed the options for how we could reclassify pantheons at length a few pages ago and lineage rose to the top on that one. I think your main suggestion is that we don't use the structure of CiV's religion system, but I think this is something that we can use without considerable loss and as you've said, this is a super complicated mod. (And I'm currently the only person who will be implementing our changes - I can already see from what we want to do that this will take me a very long time.)

I'm not saying we should never look at replacing this with a more WoT-like system in the future. But given our feature set, I think the Path system works really well for significantly less cost.
for me its an issue of flavour : the link between "customs" and "brightness" being difficult to see.
Personally I think it is also an issue of "too-vanilla-system"… but that is secondary as that brings it back to the question above.. and given that you'll be roughly the only modder… you are free to impose your limits.
counterpoint said:

You're on the right track here, maybe. Maybe this is the "Darkfriend Presence" in your cities, instead of there being a DF unit or a spy-like mechanic.
I would say that I think these units need to not be consciously added by the player - they represent the underbelly of your society. Perhaps every civ has them, though your alignment would greatly affect their numbers. Maybe during the LB, finally you can "recruit" more of them, but even then, I like the idea of them just being there whether you like it or not - but certain ideologies or buildings might affect this.
the other element is that you described a lot of thigns that they might contribute to, and I wouldn't want them to be "better" than non-DF citizens - just different.

Maybe they do move your alignment, but part of me things that they should be more of a symptom - not a cause - of your civ's alignment. This might be the better way for us to deal with the unhappiness associated with choosing a side against your alignment - perhaps the DFs, while producing yield, also produce unhappiness simultaneously.
I agree with that. If there is a "disorder"/ "corruption" / "criminality" factor that can be renamed (and reworked) to "darkfriends"…
Then if you are "light", bigger amount of DF have some somewhat negative effect
And if you are "shadow", your spies can act easier the more DF in enemy city, and, in your cities, maybe you can train/buy more easily some shadow units (eg: real cost = Cost/(1+ 4x%DF) : having 25% DF in your city enable to buy/build the shadow unit at half cost if you are shadow).
In general, I'm still not so sold that we HAVE to allow tons of player agency. I mean, a totally epic Light civ with maxed Light points.... should he really be able to be shadow? I mean, sure, its at their own risk with the epic unhappiness, but.... just seems crazy weird to me. Now, that said, I think this civ SHOULD be very much able to reject the dragon peace and go neutral!
well, isn't shara like that ? they have a "messiah" like prophecy, and are supposed to be "light" …
Same for the male Aiels or the Ashamen of Taim : they are "turned", against their will… while they were initially very "light-side" (caveat: those are units and not really civs.)
dang it! I wrote up a post replying to several of calavante's previous things and..... totally hit "preview" and never actually committed it.

Oh well, goodbye half-hour. I'll rewrite some of it later.
that's why I always ctrl-A / Ctrl-C my text before previewing or commiting.. even for 5 lines…
And why I write in word as soon as I commit more than 20 lines…

 that’s exactly what I meant.
So that in game you can have GGleeman / GScientist / G engineer / GChanneler ? / and.. Old Talent (all the weird ones).

OK, this is my recreation of my post from yesterday that I unfortunately deleted.

So here is my overall response to the whole GP things (responding here to several posts not quoted above).

Personally, I'd like to keep the total number of different GP types to around the same amount as in CiV (with BNW, of course). I think going in the direction you guys have been talking about might be a bit "too much," especially considering GP are apparently rather complicated to implement - and certainly kind of unpredictable from a balancing perspective. I'm not really a fan of the whole "Great Engineer can be upgraded to Great ?????" thing either.

I think it warrants mentioning that most of the GP i proposed way back in one of my first posts (something like page 3 or 4) were designed to be "replacements" or "reinterpretations" of the "standard" (and *necessary*) GP types of civ. Great Builders were basically the GEs of the game, but with some flavorful additions (planting groves or building waygates or something). In any case, through various combinations, we could end up with the "standard" abilities still intact (even though they may be more "spread out", with Hurry Production coming from one unit, and Build Manufactory coming from another).
Where the difficulty comes is with the "weird" ones that have expanded functionality not found in CiV - it doesn't make sense to replace, for example, a Great Artist with a Tel'aran'rhiod-type unit that would only be used in certain unusual situations. However, these units are important to figure in.

I wonder, then, if it's possible to sort of combine some of your ideas into a more simplified concept:
1) The could be a "Great Talent" (or something) GP. This unit would have predictable spawning patterns (though would maybe be designed to be more rare), and isn't intended to "replace" any of the main ones.
2) Upon creation, the unit can become one of the "weird" GP types (sniffer, wolfbrother, dreamwalker, ta'veren, etc.) - none of the GW-producing ones. None of the "Staple" ones we need for basic civ strategy (Scientists, etc.). Only the "odd" ones - and probably only a few options (4-5 probably)
3) Upon creation, this unit could be randomly born as a Great Wolfbrother, Great Ta'veren, or whatever. the choice would be out of the player's hands (though some features, like social policies, could effect it), reinforcing the unpredictability of these things. Since none of them are essential strategic tools, it isn't crippling to get a Wolf when you were hoping for a sniffer.
4) Alternatively, the player could select which type they want. This could be a promotion thing, but I think I'd prefer it to be a selection screen. I don't like the flavor of this option as much because I find the unpredictability compelling, and this is a bit too "meta." Either way, though.

The nice thing about this is that it reinforces the rareness of these units, offers a variety of unit-types without cluttering the GP-production system, and doesn't really impact the "normal" ones (Great Merchants, etc.).

Thoughts?

One of the main issues of the WoT Tal'endriol (dream world) (and of channelers) is that the coolest tricks of the dream world/wolfbrother are in facts tools for… getting knowledge/fore-knowledge/spying/or communicating.
And those are difficult to use in a civ-like game.
(same for another of the biggest aspect of the book: convincing others / alliances… that explains the 3oaths, and many of the dragon's actions…etc)

Yeah, the 'rhiod is a tricky bit. I shared some thoughts on it in my early GP post. For now I'd prefer to table it for later.

1)well, for the sake of coherence it is important.
So if faith is not "brightness", what is faith ?

3) I don't see why we have to be limited to the vision of civ5 where faith loose interest late game. Or have faith-effect be limited and "interchangeable". There are already mods that give some punch to faith… either for normal civ-game, or other total conversion. "Ea" mod has 3 religions … 2 being a main religion and a reformation of the main religion, and the last religion having a dozen or so cults.
The religions have effects that have an influence for the game, an important one.
In civ4 some mod mods removed blandness from religions, in particular, Fall From Heaven created 6 (and some 3-4 small-cults) that were tools for growth/science/culture military power, depending on your choices.

Two of the big advantages of religions/faith (as opposed to policies) are the following:
-there is an additional currency to do things …
-one can change FAITH during the game: if you founded X, you can still change and be follower of Y later … you lost some investment, and you don't get as much "total bonus" as if you had founded Y, but it might be still interesting: (it would be like if you said: I quit this policy tree and I get 75% refund !)
This is a mechanic that can "easily" be used in game to create more interesting gameplay.
Further, it is one way to derail from the "science is power" of basic Civ.
Here we are in a game where the tech tree will be shorter than in vanilla civ:
either larger and shorter (see FFH or Ea)
or
shorted (but more expensive) …
then you'll have a secondary set of trees : policies (and the 3 exclusive things that are in fact policies)
and… faith.
and
Now that i read Calavente's post, i wonder, do we have an "anti-brightness religon"/Dark One followers? I think it hasn't been discussed before, apart from some faith penalties for corrupted civs.

ok, this response is, again, in response to way more posts from you guys that I am choosing not to quote here.

Calavanta is correct - semantically - that Alignment is linked to Faith. Of course it is - Alignment can help generate (or remove Faith). But that's kind of missing the point. You wouldn't say that Great Scientists in CiV are Linked to Religion, would you? You can buy them with Faith, though! Sure, it affects faith - fine.

The bigger issue - and I think what we're really talking about - is whether Alignment is linked to PATH. It is not, and should not be. Because Paths are spreadable, and free-flow between cities with or without the player's consent, we decided early on that it's best if that didn't have anything to do with your Alignment. You can be a Lighside Whitecloak civ (Way of the Light as your Path), or you could be a Shadowside Whitecloak civ. Both are viable under our current conceptions. Given the things that go along with a religion system - "World Religion" being one - it seems weird to tie this to Alignment.

The truth is, the way I look at this is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The CiV religion system seems to be perfectly fine in CiV. Since religion isn't a huge part of WoT, it seems reasonable to not do an epic redesign of that system just to accommodate it. It looks like we've found other mechanics to deal with the good/evil thing, that seem to be working out fine in our designs of the last battle. So why scrap all that and start over? If we jump through a ton of hoops to rebuild the civ religion system, I think we might be wasting our time - let's work on things that need to be fixed.

Is it us just renaming and pasting CiV things into a WoT mold? Yes. Is that bad? No. It isn't bad. There's enough crazy new stuff going on here.

OK, time to stop for now. to be continued later!

OK, the only thing I "question" here is the final point - extra XP for units? Howcome? I guess this is cool, but I can imagine other things being the benefit instead. Is this just sort of random (not necessarily a bad thing) or is there a specific justification here? I don't this has come up before.
Yeah, that was new. I'm not particularly attached to it, I was more just showing the kinds of bonuses we could give out. What other benefits make sense? I agree that I'm finding it hard to come up with an in-universe justification for the extra XP, just that gameplay wise it makes your position more defensible.

I thought about it in a slightly different way - when you have 1 or more seals, each of your units gets "Morale" promotion: +10% strength when fighting shadowspawn/units controlled by shadow civs. This would encourage to give seals to other light civs.

Could the Old Talent Great People spawn similarly to how the Mayans spawn great people, every few years (or quite a lot actually) you get to choose one from a list of people (wolf brothers, sniffers etc) and can't choose the same one a second time until you have chosen all of them?

back for more!

And
Did the flash-forwards show us Muskets and such in that sort of time frame? It's just jumping out at me that musketmen with magic seems a lot more steampunky than I associate with WoT. That aside, the prophecies from Rhuidean (which were horrifying, btw) are a good source, as calavente said.

I don't have the time to reread it now, but doing a little googling yields the fact that her vision shows the Seanchan chasing her people with "lightsticks," which are apparently musket sorts of thing. Apparently the dudes are called Lightbearers. I think that's probably our answer then. Not shocklances, I guess - those are probably way more futuristic. Combined with dragons, that should count for a lot - not sure what to do with navy and ranged units though.

There are a whole bunch more quotes about this suggestion, so I won't collate them all here, but I am responding to the idea as a whole, as well as subsequent discussion.

I think having to differentiate the False Dragons from the real Dragon is inherently problematic. I see three possible ways of approaching this kind of system (feel free to suggest more if I've missed an approach):

1. Make the Last Battle a moveable feast, starting based on when the real Dragon is discovered
  2. Make this how we decide where the Dragon is "born" - the civ that "proves" he's the real Dragon gets some bonuses
  3. Make one of the False Dragons that appears at the right time (world era AotD) be the true Dragon

Overall, I think we can include the prophecy elements in the events that lead up to the Last Battle, like Illianor suggested with the Dragon-flavor. "The Dragon has fulfilled the prophecy of Callandor and taken the sword from the Stone" and then prompt them for a response that affects their alignment. I agree that this isn't as splashy, but CiV doesn't really lend itself to these short-term bursts of very complex activity, which prophecies will usually be.

Who knows though, while writing out #2 I warmed a bit to the idea of fulfilling prophecy. Am I skipping over something and missing the core of the idea?

OK, I think number two is certainly the coolest as described by you. That said, the specificity of them is quite problematic. I'm sure what I'm about to say has been said, but I guess I'm putting it in my own words to try and help make sense of it:

I could imagine this working if there were a few (randomly decided in each game?) prophesies that became evident toward the middle to end game. They could have flavorful names, but essentially they would be sort of not-too-specific task for civs to do. Such as:
1) [flavorful text that means] somebody needs to conquer a city with a naval vessel
2) [vflavorful text that means] somebody needs to build a super huge city of pop 35 or something
3) [flavorful text that means] somebody needs to strike down two false dragons.

Whatever. The point is these would all be (retroactively) associated with the dragon or something, flavorwise, though they wouldn't actually need to mechanically have anything to do with him. And these would be things that some civs would be doing anyways. End result is that, I guess, the real dragon would appear shortly after? I don't know, this is kinda lame. I don't know what happens if nobody does them, though....

I certainly don't like the idea of civs throwing their support behind competing false dragons... seems like an extra layer that'll kind of take everything over.

There's also the totally "smoke and mirrors" approach. Say somebody builds the Prophesy of Callandor. Just say "The Prophesy of Callandor has been fulfilled" at the right time in the right era....

I don't know, I'm still not totally sold on the GWs mattering. I do like the Prophesies as GWs, though - it seems quite flavorful. The problem with prophesy is.... free will, and.... randomness of a game. Prophesies are great in novels, not great in anything that is variable. I'd just as soon leave them as flavor and not integrate too much. It's one thing for the dragon to periodically fulfill prophesies, but to have them be real and actual game altering events... I dunno.

I think the issues I mentioned previously about "proving" who's the real Dragon apply here too. We also need to be careful of tying all of our systems together like this. What happens to the Horn if we disable the Last Battle? Cleansing Saidin is still a thing that should happen and we'll need some sources for "normal" buildings/projects, which this kind of system eats up very quickly.

I'll remind everybody that we're planning on the LB being an OPTIONAL condition - well, optional in the sense that it can be disabled. This means we really shoudln't integrate it into every facet of the game. Some recent examples:
- The GWs being very much integrated into the Dragon (who has no purpose if we disable the LB)
- The Paths being very much integrated into Alignment (which would be scrapped I'd imagine if people disabled the LB)

…etc

Seriously, you *have* to send me your copy of the prequel books that cover the previous 3000 years of history!;)

Seriously, though, be careful with the assumptions! We don't know how tech progressed. They hardly say anything about it in the books. We do know, as S3rgeus says later, that humanity kind of started over (at least in some ways). When we read Mat's memories of generals from 1000 years ago, and he talks about mounted warriors, we have no way of knowing if they are "horsemen" or "knights" or whatever. I don't think there's any reason to believe that all the innovation happened just in the Era of the Dragon. Sure, there were a couple big breaks - especially concerning channeling: terangreal making, travelling, etc. - but these mostly concerned the main characters and the upcoming last battle.

Example: You mention Aludra making the Dragons. Sure. But, what about the invention of fireworks? The discovery of gunpowder in general? The invention of the steel the bellfounders use to make the cannons? These things are totally ignored in the books (as they should be), but were almost definitely discovered at some point in the previous 3000 years. Just one example, it is!

Regarding Manetheren's armies being as well trained and as powerful as modern ones. I don't know that I agree with that. They were destroyed during the Trolloc Wars, right? And the trolloc wars were probably less crazy than the LB was (though they were longer). In any case, we don't have enough evidence. Though they probably did have more tactical genius - but the same is true in Earth's History: so many billions of people have lived throughout history, it's foolish to think the smartest ones are alive today.

That said, it is very possible that Randland in the 3rd age went through several periods of technological stagnation. This is most likely true, and certainly possible. It happened in our world - at least the Western World. The "Dark Ages," for example (though in fact that's a bit of an exaggeration). Maybe RandLand had more of this slow-tech periods than Earth - that's fine. Still, with the exception of the periodic cataclysms (Trollow Wars), the assumption should be that tech did continue to build, even if slowly.

Now, the most important thing here - and what S3rgeus implies - is simply that Civilization games NEED this tech progression. Its one of the most fun parts of the game, IMO. The idea of scrapping that is unthinkable to me.

As far as your examples like the Aiel having "old fashioned" tech. Right. Well, that's been true on earth too. Mesoamerican civilizations had (military) tech that was centuries behind that of the spaniard conquistadors. The same could be true with the Aiel - living in their harsh environment did not reinforce or encourage the development of industrial cities, rather suggesting a more nomadic, low-tech life. I don't see the issue.

Also, they are super powerful mostly because they are highly trained and have a philosophy/social system that seems to put the wetlanders at a major disadvantage - much less political BS "holding them back." But... you point a Dragon cannon at them, they die pretty easily. If you put a Samurai in the room with a modern soldier, the Samurai probably has a really good chance to kill the soldier, even if the soldier has modern weapons. In that case the weapons are not the point - the modern soldier is still a "better" unit (even though the samurai could totally kill him) in part because of the infrastructure around them. The Aiel are awesome warriors not because of their TECH, but because of their awesome social structures - and the terrible social structures of the wetlanders. in Civ, we don't really tend to "force the hand" of the player and tell them whether their social structures are terrible or good. The TECH is, consequently, neutral - and should progress, IMO.

That said, even though the Aiel units are "modern" in the sense that they are still in use in the New Era, I think in our game the Aiel UU's (at least if they are combat-ones, not counting the Wise Ones) would quite likely be early-game units. Even though they're really powerful, it makes more sense that way, given the progression of technology that we'll be adopting. This is fine, though, as civ does it to - The Jaguar Warrior (that's the Aztec UU right?) is an Ancient Era unit, even though there were no aztecs until some 4000-5000 years later than the Ancient era!

This does bring up a problematic thing though, and one that stems from us only having "modern" civs - we have no ancient UUs and very few midgame UUs. MAnetheren and the Aiel may be the only real examples. In the interest of balance, this kind of thing may the reason we have to have a few other old civs at launch - to fill in those gaps in eras 1-4.

This seems to me to be a strawman. The LB-victory isn't linked to techs - not anymore than simply determining when it starts, and that's really just a metric of time and game-pacing.

And:
-change Era

I don't have many thoughts on this now, but S3rgeus' later post made me thing he'd forgotten this:

Yeah, I thought that we were planning on SOMETHING happening on a "global scale" around the Hawkwing era. A War of Hundred Years thing might not be a great idea - we already have a couple "mandated wars" in our timeline, and you can't exactly force all the civs to go to war. Some kind of diplomatic event, as you guys have been talking about, has seemed to me to be the way to go. I'm not suggesting anybody be elected high king, but we should be able to work something out - hey, doesn't this Era correspond with the Renaissance - so wouldn't a World Congress-y thing pop up around now?

Ah... honestly, I think I'm having a different reaction to all this prophesy stuff than you guys are.... Truthfully, the more ideas I read about it, and the more I think about it, the LESS I like the idea.... Not sure what else to say at this point!

This is cool, certainly cool, in theory. The randomness of it all is super weird though. So you have an 80% chance and... oh well, you were wrong. I don't like the idea of so much important stuff wrapped up in this. And if it's NOT that important... than I think the mechanic is complex to justify its existence.

I know you guys are talking about how the identity of the real Dragon is really important to the books.... Honestly, I don't think it is. We learn Rand is the Dragon at the end of book 1. And we, as the reader, assume it to be true. Certainly the rest of the world needed to be convinced, but the Reader Experience was most definitely not about that - it was about him gaining power, growing as a person, and hurtling towards the eventual last battle (hurtling at like 3 mph at times....). In any case, all this detecting-the-correct dragon, competing prophesies, civs trying to guess right.... it seems like we're really trying to simulate something from the books, and in the process would be creating something that feels very foreign to WoT.

Imagine how in Battlestar Galactica, a bit part of the intrigue is guessing at who is a Cylon, yes? If you made a BG game, it would HAVE to have that mystery/guessing element as a part of it in order to "feel" right. We don't need that element to feel like WoT - what we need is an epic scope, and the sense that the Dragon is progression and developing as he moves towards the LB. We should work that stuff in, but all this make-this-false-dragon-into-a-real-dragon thing seems to miss the mark.

There it is! I knew somebody had already made the suggestion I made a couple posts ago (the one that I don't really like anymore...)

Not in agreement with you here! But I already made clear my thoughts in a post above.

I'm afraid I wrote into word with proper formatting and then manually reconstructed the formatting after I'd pasted it into CivFanatics. Possible but tedious with 1,519 words and positively herculean with 11,000. (And I wrote all of the above posts in one sitting yesterday! :p)

HEY GUYS, I think I figured it out. It seems to work, at least mostly.

First off, I use openoffic, because free. There's an addon called BBkoΔe I found ( http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/bbkode ) that will convert documents into bbcode! Now, it does some weird things, in that it doesn't recognize the LIST tags and stuff like that, but it DOES do all the bolds and italics and stuff, which is really rather awesome.

Hilariously, I did a lot of googling and finally found the answer when I stumbled on this page - it's a brony site! http://www.bronyville.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3722 This guy is explaining this all very well.... to help people write brony fanfic. We'll use it for modding, thank you very much!

Unless we have a more flavorful idea. We hadn't fully decided on this one before, but I picked one of our possible approaches just to make the document more clear. (The other is merging the Seals into the antiquity sites and therefore overlapping with the cultural victory, which we haven't assessed the viability of yet.)

Right. I don't really mean "what are you calling the archeo" so much as "is this unit going to be our archaeo unit, or is this an entirely separate unit that ONLY searches for seals?"

I'm not sure what you mean on the second part. Having an unbroken Seal is a bonus, not a penalty. Even if science guy (who's under siege) accepts the Seal, it will actually help him defend himself, though it is putting the Seal at risk. The Bubbles of evil etc are consequences of breaking the Seals.

You're not sure what I mean because it is utter nonsense - I confused myself there.

Something to balance later, maybe. I wonder if instead it'd be best to have units built in THAT CITY receive extra XP or an extra promotion. Or increased yields in that city, instead of global.

You're right to be suspicious! I see the Light players as needing to agree more than Shadow, which is already the case with our other mechanics. Even then, in practice, we're discussing a lot of edge cases and making sure that they're handled correctly. (If this guy has this prerequisite state and these Seals and can move them to the following places) This is good, but I think the general case is a bit simpler than a lot of our examples.

The Light and neutral AI defends their Seals as well as they can - Light switches over to destroy mode if they can capture Thakan'dar. The Shadow AI needs to weigh up the number of Seals it has seen broken, the number that are left in the world, and the number it controls to see if it wants to break the one(s) it has. In most cases, a Shadow civ with more than one Seal will want to break all but one almost for 100% sure.

That's the high level of how I see the AIs making their decisions and they can make them largely in isolation. A team of humans would be able to make more optimal decisions, but I don't think we'll ever be able to best that.

This kind of thing might just come down to programming specific conditional behavior, huh? Like, you force the AI to do X and Y in certain situations. Instead of actually making it "think" or anything. I know, of course, that all AI is this - I essentially just mean a more "heavyhanded" approach in this case.

Oooohh, book 15! :D Looking forward to channeling fun.

In BBCode!

Ah, I see what you mean! Ok, yeah, that makes a lot of sense, allowing a player to rush the end-game via the Seals. I didn't think of this before because I thought we discussed the Seals being very difficult to break before the Last Battle starts, so it would be impractical for most of the Seals to be broken before then. But you're right, a runaway civ that already controls a large portion of the map could possibly have the production/research capacity to break enough Seals this way, while everyone else is far behind. (He's need to do it before reaching the Fourth Age himself) I'm fine with this being an additional trigger condition though.

Don't have any specific thoughts about whether a runaway player (or somebody who focuses on seals) should be able to trigger the LB early. - I'll leave it to your judgment

A whooole lot of stuff I'm not going to respond to about TECH, because I just ranted on it above. I agree with you in this case, though.

Right. I think whatever hawkwing-era thing happens should be smaller (diplo, etc.), not all-consuming like the TW or LB. On that note, probably the TW shouldn't really be all consuming, especially since it's so early. Just like barbarians times 10... ok maybe that's all consuming!

And I agree on the choice that you explain very clearly… ("do we want the WoT world with CiV as the vessel or the game CiV set in the WoT world")
Having a clear position on how you want to mod : "WoT using CiV engine", or "civ disguised as WoT" is really important to know what kind of feed-back you need. Especially it will change what (and how) I propose ideas or criticize….

well, isn't shara like that ? they have a "messiah" like prophecy, and are supposed to be "light" …

I don't think so, actually. We don't have any reason to suspect that they're a particularly righteous people. They don't think they're evil, though. Likely, with all the slavery, regicide, and other crazy stuff happening there for thousands of years, they left their society very vulnerable to exploitation - I wouldn't consider them particularly Light-sided. Probably more likely a neutral civ that was "turned".

Also, read aMoL yet?

Same for the male Aiels or the Ashamen of Taim : they are "turned", against their will… while they were initially very "light-side" (caveat: those are units and not really civs.)
that's why I always ctrl-A / Ctrl-C my text before previewing or commiting.. even for 5 lines…
And why I write in word as soon as I commit more than 20 lines…

Yep. same here. Problem being, I was at a different computer that wasn't mine, and was running really late....

I thought about it in a slightly different way - when you have 1 or more seals, each of your units gets "Morale" promotion: +10% strength when fighting shadowspawn/units controlled by shadow civs. This would encourage to give seals to other light civs.

Sure. This is a similar kind of thing, and could likely work fine.

Could the Old Talent Great People spawn similarly to how the Mayans spawn great people, every few years (or quite a lot actually) you get to choose one from a list of people (wolf brothers, sniffers etc) and can't choose the same one a second time until you have chosen all of them?

Yeah, I suppose this mechanic could work out. That MAyan mechanic was a little annoying - but that might be because of the specific way it was implemented. It's like every 392 years, right? Well, that's WAY too long in the late game. And if you're too slow to research Theology, you miss out on a GP.... But something like that could work. It does feel like it takes some of the soul out of it, though, just being a clock/timer...

ALRIGHT FRIENDS, I am all caught up! Back to work on The Novel next time I get the chance!

here comes 7 pages of microsoft word in times 12 :D

OK, this is my recreation of my post from yesterday that I unfortunately deleted.
Spoiler :

So here is my overall response to the whole GP things (responding here to several posts not quoted above).

Personally, I'd like to keep the total number of different GP types to around the same amount as in CiV (with BNW, of course). I think going in the direction you guys have been talking about might be a bit "too much," especially considering GP are apparently rather complicated to implement - and certainly kind of unpredictable from a balancing perspective. I'm not really a fan of the whole "Great Engineer can be upgraded to Great ?????" thing either.

I think it warrants mentioning that most of the GP i proposed way back in one of my first posts (something like page 3 or 4) were designed to be "replacements" or "reinterpretations" of the "standard" (and *necessary*) GP types of civ. Great Builders were basically the GEs of the game, but with some flavorful additions (planting groves or building waygates or something). In any case, through various combinations, we could end up with the "standard" abilities still intact (even though they may be more "spread out", with Hurry Production coming from one unit, and Build Manufactory coming from another).
Where the difficulty comes is with the "weird" ones that have expanded functionality not found in CiV - it doesn't make sense to replace, for example, a Great Artist with a Tel'aran'rhiod-type unit that would only be used in certain unusual situations. However, these units are important to figure in.

I wonder, then, if it's possible to sort of combine some of your ideas into a more simplified concept:
1) The could be a "Great Talent" (or something) GP. This unit would have predictable spawning patterns (though would maybe be designed to be more rare), and isn't intended to "replace" any of the main ones.
2) Upon creation, the unit can become one of the "weird" GP types (sniffer, wolfbrother, dreamwalker, ta'veren, etc.) - none of the GW-producing ones. None of the "Staple" ones we need for basic civ strategy (Scientists, etc.). Only the "odd" ones - and probably only a few options (4-5 probably)
3) Upon creation, this unit could be randomly born as a Great Wolfbrother, Great Ta'veren, or whatever. the choice would be out of the player's hands (though some features, like social policies, could effect it), reinforcing the unpredictability of these things. Since none of them are essential strategic tools, it isn't crippling to get a Wolf when you were hoping for a sniffer.
4) Alternatively, the player could select which type they want. This could be a promotion thing, but I think I'd prefer it to be a selection screen. I don't like the flavor of this option as much because I find the unpredictability compelling, and this is a bit too "meta." Either way, though.

The nice thing about this is that it reinforces the rareness of these units, offers a variety of unit-types without cluttering the GP-production system, and doesn't really impact the "normal" ones (Great Merchants, etc.).

Thoughts?
I have no special thoughts on that as it is what I proposed … but made prettier. (my idea of GP getting random promotions and becoming old blood was an alternative… or variante)

Calavanta is correct - semantically - that Alignment is linked to Faith. Of course it is - Alignment can help generate (or remove Faith). But that's kind of missing the point. You wouldn't say that Great Scientists in CiV are Linked to Religion, would you? You can buy them with Faith, though! Sure, it affects faith - fine.

The bigger issue - and I think what we're really talking about - is whether Alignment is linked to PATH. It is not, and should not be. Because Paths are spreadable, and free-flow between cities with or without the player's consent, we decided early on that it's best if that didn't have anything to do with your Alignment. You can be a Lighside Whitecloak civ (Way of the Light as your Path), or you could be a Shadowside Whitecloak civ. Both are viable under our current conceptions. Given the things that go along with a religion system - "World Religion" being one - it seems weird to tie this to Alignment.

The truth is, the way I look at this is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." The CiV religion system seems to be perfectly fine in CiV. Since religion isn't a huge part of WoT, it seems reasonable to not do an epic redesign of that system just to accommodate it. It looks like we've found other mechanics to deal with the good/evil thing, that seem to be working out fine in our designs of the last battle. So why scrap all that and start over? If we jump through a ton of hoops to rebuild the civ religion system, I think we might be wasting our time - let's work on things that need to be fixed.

Is it us just renaming and pasting CiV things into a WoT mold? Yes. Is that bad? No. It isn't bad. There's enough crazy new stuff going on here.
GS are not linked to religion specifically, they are linked to science ; it is their main output. However, faith is the main output of religion, and the main way you plan (for the moment) to use "faith" is crazily linked to brightness and the Dragon… while paths and customs have no semantic link with those. That's my only point.
Is it bad to rename the civ5 system in the WoT universe? Of course not.
However, you want to create a system of paths/customs that has few bearing in the WoT .. while there are other lore-things that are currently lacking a mechanics and that could have used really well the system of religions.
-I'm speaking about the damane/aes-sedai/windfinder/wise-ones variants… with religions it could spread and you could change which one you want… customs could even link to that : customs (pantheons) are for "normals" and beliefs are "Channeler Customs". Further, faith could be a nice yield to help buy channelers / cast "spells".
-which prophecy do you follow ? which prophecy will bind your nation to the dragon reborn ? will you want to have options to capture him and control him but he will resist ? or will you want options to adhere to him, where you can control him less, but you get more bonus ? or will you only want to have a bargain with him and let other people save the world ? or will you decide that the world is doomed and that following the DO is the less dangerous option..
-ta'vern / Old Blood can also be used here : customs link into … lineages ? that enable you, late game, to buy "Old Blood units", the remaining being managed as the normal civ5 faith.
-light vs dark: it is roughly linked to the "paths" you proposed, but why would their be bonus for light and malus for shadow? and "customs" have no semantic link to that. DF fanatics are as faithful (and maybe more) than light people…. The issue is that you don't have much options…

Anyway, pasting WoT pseudo-lore on a civ5 concept without changing it is not bad… I just think it is a waste, a waste of potential, especially because civ5 religion is so bland that it is almost insipid (but couldn't be otherwise for political correctness), and a waste for the other WoT concepts that will need to be adapted to other civ5 mechanics or for which new mechanics will need to be created.

I don't have the time to reread it now, but doing a little googling yields the fact that her vision shows the Seanchan chasing her people with "lightsticks," which are apparently musket sorts of thing. Apparently the dudes are called Lightbearers. I think that's probably our answer then. Not shocklances, I guess - those are probably way more futuristic. Combined with dragons, that should count for a lot - not sure what to do with navy and ranged units though.
the "lightbearer" and "lightsticks" part is very far away from "present time". It is the first vision that aviendha has: the Aiels are dead as a people. It is at least 5 generations after Aviendha (as it is the first dream of 5), but most credible is that it is 8-10 generations later. (so between 150 years and 300 years after the LB) Shock lances are possible for that time
The second dream speaks already of cars and rifles of sort: the one where the "merchants" do not want to trade with aiels. For this one there is no mention of mother / grand mother, so it can be 4 or 6 generations.

Third dream has someone "last of the dragon's blood" be attacked in the last fortress of aiels. The attack came with raken, and at least the clan chief took the sword of an assailant: Seanchan used swords.. but maybe muskets too : we learn that Seanchan became more powerful since wetlanders joined the fight.. as they could capture more damane.
Fourth dream is about aviendha's great-daughter: she tricks Andor (and all others) into abandoning the dragon peace and joining the fight: there are no mentions of weapons.
Fifth dream : aviendha's children (no vision of aviendha herself): they still use spears to kill some seanchans... However aviendha's daughter still speak that "they have issues adapting to the modern days: trains, and firearms" : no mention of what kind of firearms.

I hope it helps.

--> so IMO Cars and rifles/shock lances are too late in the future if the 4th age tech are supposed to show the next 10-25 years after the LB.

Seriously, you *have* to send me your copy of the prequel books that cover the previous 3000 years of history!
sarcasm does not fit you
Seriously, though, be careful with the assumptions! We don't know how tech progressed. They hardly say anything about it in the books. We do know, as S3rgeus says later, that humanity kind of started over (at least in some ways). When we read Mat's memories of generals from 1000 years ago, and he talks about mounted warriors, we have no way of knowing if they are "horsemen" or "knights" or whatever. I don't think there's any reason to believe that all the innovation happened just in the Era of the Dragon. Sure, there were a couple big breaks - especially concerning channeling: terangreal making, travelling, etc. - but these mostly concerned the main characters and the upcoming last battle.
well, if you didn't read that between the lines…
Further: humanity started over… but they knew that progress existed. It is not the same task to try to re-invent things than it is to invent them for the first time.
And aviendhas' (or Rand's) vision in Ruidhean show that nations were already organized, with kingdoms or sort, and a medieval or at least celtic-level of organisation around 200-500 AB.
And don't tell me that they wouldn't be able to do in 2000 years what we did from -500 to +1500…especially as they don't have time to lose in adoring gods and creating religions: they know from start about the light, the pattern and the DO… and they have some Aes sedai and remains of the AoL that help guide them… most survivors are also veterans of battles against the Trollocs : they don't have to re-learn all from scratch.
And 1500AD is much too advanced for the Dragon Age.

So your conception is that up until the Era of Dragon, they were kinda dumb and took 3000 years, to do less than the real world in 2000 years ?

For me I go with the principle that they were as smart.. and acquired as quickly (or with a bit more speed)(1000-1500 years) most of the tech of the European middle age … and for 1500 years they lived… and did some fews innovations (low-middle age toward high middle age) but they had nothing to push them toward more innovations.
(EDIT: the technical stagnation that you spoke about a bit later .. and I agree that Dark ages were a technical stagnation or ever technical loss that is represented as a progression in civ)

Example: You mention Aludra making the Dragons. Sure. But, what about the invention of fireworks?
her guild existed since 1000 years at least, If I understood correctly.
The discovery of gunpowder in general?
that lead to the guild itself… as "gunpowder in general" doesn't exist and never existed. First was discovered "fireworks" and later cannons". Same in real world than in randland
The invention of the steel the bellfounders use to make the cannons?
bells (the ones that need bell-founders), and cannons are made of bronze.
And bell founders are well known since ancient times. At least you can presume that on the course of 3000 years, they have been discovered in the first 1500 years... (bellfounding has been known since 2000BC in asia and 400AD in Europe) that leaves 1500 more years.

These things are totally ignored in the books (as they should be), but were almost definitely discovered at some point in the previous 3000 years. Just one example, it is!
yes !
But also: they were most likely discovered in the early 1000 years of rand land .. and a few improved later
Regarding Manetheren's armies being as well trained and as powerful as modern ones. I don't know that I agree with that. They were destroyed during the Trolloc Wars, right? And the trolloc wars were probably less crazy than the LB was (though they were longer).
trolloc wars didn't have a Dragon, and Ashamen, and cannons, and ….Etc

As far as your examples like the Aiel having "old fashioned" tech. Right. Well, that's been true on earth too. Mesoamerican civilizations had (military) tech that was centuries behind that of the spaniard conquistadors. The same could be true with the Aiel - living in their harsh environment did not reinforce or encourage the development of industrial cities, rather suggesting a more nomadic, low-tech life. I don't see the issue.
the difference being that the aiels are the best warriors and best army of the Rand World and crush everyone when the Mesoamerican civ were way behind the conquistador and were crushed.
So that means that the old-fashion tech of the Aiels is in fact the most advanced one… which is contradictory… thus it means that the Aiels went very early to the mastery of the military tech tree (and commerce) … and stayed there, with technological stagnation after that.
But... you point a Dragon cannon at them
that's unfair and you know it. You point a Dragon cannon to any of the armies of the westland and the get the same treatment as the Aiels.
And dragon cannon are .. dragon era techs..
We were speaking about aiels having reached in 1000years or so the peak of military tech until the dragon era…. (where of course cannon come into play)
Because we know (due to rand's visions) that they reached their military and political and "religious" structure about 1000 year after the breaking .. and didn't change much since then.

That said, even though the Aiel units are "modern" in the sense that they are still in use in the New Era, I think in our game the Aiel UU's (at least if they are combat-ones, not counting the Wise Ones) would quite likely be early-game units. Even though they're really powerful, it makes more sense that way, given the progression of technology that we'll be adopting. This is fine, though, as civ does it to - The Jaguar Warrior (that's the Aztec UU right?) is an Ancient Era unit, even though there were no aztecs until some 4000-5000 years later than the Ancient era!
and how will you have this early Aiel UU … still be the most powerful unit of the Era of Dragon (save for channelers and cannon-dragon / and maybe DeathGuard and DragonLegion) … without some serious imbalance ?

For Aztecs, the civ game and tech tree is totally stupid and makes it that Aztec jaguars are (depending on which civ version : warrior UU, classical swordman UU, medieval swordman UU..etc)

This is cool, certainly cool, in theory. The randomness of it all is super weird though. So you have an 80% chance and... oh well, you were wrong. I don't like the idea of so much important stuff wrapped up in this. And if it's NOT that important... than I think the mechanic is complex to justify its existence.
you are again speaking about specifics.. I'm not talking about "random events" .. but "you have identified that he is the true Dragon at 80% chances… this opens new actions / events." Not "80% chances of being true dragon … well 20% chances of investing in the wrong guy!"

I know you guys are talking about how the identity of the real Dragon is really important to the books.... Honestly, I don't think it is. We learn Rand is the Dragon at the end of book 1. And we, as the reader, assume it to be true. Certainly the rest of the world needed to be convinced, but the Reader Experience was most definitely not about that - it was about him gaining power, growing as a person, and hurtling towards the eventual last battle (hurtling at like 3 mph at times....). In any case, all this detecting-the-correct dragon, competing prophesies, civs trying to guess right.... it seems like we're really trying to simulate something from the books, and in the process would be creating something that feels very foreign to WoT.
you are contradicting yourself.
What is of the book is that the reader quickly knows rand is the dragon.
What is of the world is that the dragon has to convince everybody that he is the dragon.
You can't really say "what the rest of the world has to do "… is " simulate the books". If it is something that has to be done by "all the rest of the world" .. the it is of the world, of the pattern.. and not of the "specific story of Rand written in the books".

Also, read aMoL yet?
I'm currently at about 1/3rd of it.

I have no special thoughts on that as it is what I proposed … but made prettier. (my idea of GP getting random promotions and becoming old blood was an alternative… or variante)

ah. Well, sorry if i recycled some of your ideas. Sometimes i miss some of the subtle meaning in your posts due to language. Sorry. In any case, the subtle differences there make the idea more palatable, IMO.

GS are not linked to religion specifically, they are linked to science ; it is their main output. However, faith is the main output of religion, and the main way you plan (for the moment) to use "faith" is crazily...........
-I'm speaking about the damane/aes-sedai/windfinder/wise-ones variants… with religions it could spread and you could change which one you want… customs could even link to that : customs (pantheons) are for "normals" and beliefs are "Channeler Customs". Further, faith could be a nice yield to help buy channelers / cast "spells".
-which prophecy do you follow ? which prophecy will bind your nation to the dragon reborn ? will you want to have options to capture him and control him but he will resist ? or will you want options to adhere to him, where you can control him less, but you get more bonus ? or will you only want to have a bargain with him and let other people save the world ? or will you decide that the world is doomed and that following the DO is the less dangerous option.......

Ah, well, this may be an "agree to disagree" moment. You're bringing up some stuff from several pages ago (channelers as tied to "religion" spreading, for example) that makes me think this conversation may just be circular.

the "lightbearer" and "lightsticks" part is very far away from "present time". It is the first vision that aviendha has: the Aiels are dead as a people. It is at least 5 generations after Aviendha (as it is the first dream of 5), but most credible is that it is 8-10 generations later. (so between 150 years and 300 years after the LB) Shock lances are possible for that time
The second dream speaks already of cars and rifles of sort: the one where the "merchants" do not want to trade with aiels. For this one there is no mention of mother / grand mother, so it can be 4 or 6 generations.

I guess all I'd say to this is that Giant Death Robots are probably more than 15 years in the future on earth, right? So CiV has set the precedent for us gong a little far in the future. Definitely no Sho-wings and shocklances, but the musket-light lightsticks and some steam power and stuff may not be unreasonable.

sarcasm does not fit you

Uh...

well, if you didn't read that between the lines…

Calavante, you're annoyed with me, it seems. I deeply hope I am mistaken in that perception.

Anyways, I sense that this conversation is also circular. My exact assertion was that the Aiel TECH is very old, but their strategies and social systems are highly advanced, and to be treated separately from the literal military tech. I'm sorry if you aren't a fan of that idea

her guild existed since 1000 years at least, If I understood correctly.
that lead to the guild itself… as "gunpowder in general" doesn't exist and never existed. First was discovered "fireworks" and later cannons". Same in real world than in randland
bells (the ones that need bell-founders), and cannons are made of bronze.
And bell founders are well known since ancient times. At least you can presume that on the course of 3000 years, they have been discovered in the first 1500 years... (bellfounding has been known since 2000BC in asia and 400AD in Europe) that leaves 1500 more years.

OK, so the bells are a bad example. Still, Steel is mentioned throughout the books, and is obviously a post-ancient invention.

As far as the gunpowder and such.... I think you may be proving my point. The Guild existed for 1000 years, so its likely fireworks and gunpowder were invented around 1000 years ago (or before). This shows technological progression occurring. And, of course, without a doubt, gunpowder had to be discovered before fireworks. that's what fireworks use - or at least something similar to gunpowder. They just weren't used *in guns* until Dragons (and later lightsticks). This is like in our world, where the Chinese civilization invented gunpowder and used it for some hundreds of years before anybody thought to put it into guns - it seems reasonable that such might be the case in randland.
In any case, once again, we simply do not know because not enough info has been provided in the books.

Also, keep in mind that - again - Scientific progression and the passage of time is part of what makes civ the game it is. My choosing to do a CiV mod, and not, say, a DOTA mod, we are agreeing that we want the passage of 3000 years of history to be a priority. We need to "fill" that 3000 years in a civ-like manner, it seems.

and how will you have this early Aiel UU … still be the most powerful unit of the Era of Dragon (save for channelers and cannon-dragon / and maybe DeathGuard and DragonLegion) … without some serious imbalance ?

The Aiel UU shouldn't be the most powerful in the game in the final era - well, unless we have an AotD Aiel UU. If they're from earlier eras, they'd need be obsolete. This is essential for balancing purposes. My point about the Aiel tech has already been made and need not be repeated.

you are contradicting yourself.
no comment,

I mostly agree with counterpoint. Mostly strongly I feel that prophecies would be very hard to implement so that they seemed possible for a 'dragon' to achieve, and unique enough that every 'dragon' doesn't. I prefer counterpoint's smoke and mirrors.

-
Could we flatten the combat strength curve and so make it that an increase in tech is not as substantial? Similarly could the Aiel UU get +combat strength/age so that it is always competitive (and doesn't obsolete), and that through their social policy selection it is then stronger than other contemporary units?

I also feel like from the dreams, that they have fire arms in the first, cars by the 4th, and then as they are finally wiped out that the 'lightsticks' might even be lasers

I type my responses on CivFan because I only write short things! Though sometimes I feel like I should do a full reply with quotes... Maybe for counterpoint's channelling thesis I'll do it :D

-
Could we flatten the combat strength curve and so make it that an increase in tech is not as substantial? Similarly could the Aiel UU get +combat strength/age so that it is always competitive (and doesn't obsolete), and that through their social policy selection it is then stronger than other contemporary units?

What you're suggestion re: Aiel boils down to essentially a static combat bonus as their UA, and something like this could be possible. It feels safe to assume that the Aiel's UA will be *something* military - to be determined later!

Interesting idea with the smaller growth curve in combat strength - would actually probably help in keeping the channelers balanced. I wonder if it would be as satisfying for the player to only have incremental/subtle increases in strength, though.

I'm afraid I only have time to respond to a couple of the above posts tonight, but I'll be back tomorrow!

And

I agree with that. If there is a "disorder"/ "corruption" / "criminality" factor that can be renamed (and reworked) to "darkfriends"…
Then if you are "light", bigger amount of DF have some somewhat negative effect
And if you are "shadow", your spies can act easier the more DF in enemy city, and, in your cities, maybe you can train/buy more easily some shadow units (eg: real cost = Cost/(1+ 4x%DF) : having 25% DF in your city enable to buy/build the shadow unit at half cost if you are shadow).

This would mean that we'd need to tweak the citizen mechanics a bit. I'm fine with doing that, but just making sure we're doing it intentionally. If the effects of these Darkfriend citizens manifest when the citizen is "worked" (like all other citizens) then if we want players to be affected by them all the time, we'll need to lock citizens from the city into working on them. That can potentially have a big effect on gold, hammers, and, probably most importantly, food. Having a starving city that you can't make break even because DF citizens are locked in would be kind of annoying.

Then again, we can make it so that they're equally as optional as normal citizen assignments. The question then is for bonuses like Shadow civs spying on Light that are dependent on the number of Darkfriend civilians, do we use the number of available slots for Darkfriend citizens or the actual "worked" number? Worked number is more consistent, but easily avoidable for the defender.

The other question is how we distribute these. Alignment is accrued (as I understand it) globally per civ - so there needs to be some way to select which cities DF citizens appear in. I think it makes sense that they would target high population cities, so we can use that as a weighting for a random choice among the top few.

Yes, we can definitely have both positive and negative yields that the player may want to trade off against. If we have negative yields and optional DF citizen assignment, then the positive yields need to be better otherwise it doesn't make sense to use DFs over normal citizens. (Example, if the DF citizen costs you faith and you're not developing a Path, their boosted yields are good for you. If you are developing one, they're not.)

I figured affecting your alignment was a way of snowballing - it's both a symptom and a cause. The deeper into the Shadow you get, the faster you become Shadowy-er.

Ugh, I'm already hating this whole espionage thing. But then again, I'm one of those people who is honest all the time...

As far as the greediness, by this I mean something like the dragon lingering too long in one place, trying to get that extra DF or Seal. Or haunting one civ too much. The kind of thing that would allow the "Sauron's... er... the DO's gaze to fall on him"

I'm not sure if we'll be able to measure that kind of greediness effectively though. We risk the rules for that seeming very arbitrary or forcing games of Dragon-hopscotch.

Funny, I'm hearing you repeat my own ideas back at me, and I'm not liking them as much anymore.

I do like Culture as the way the blight can be forced back, but losing territory technically... does that seem to harsh? It seemed like the simplest way to go - and it makes intuitive sense - but it would be lame to spend the entire game dealing with a few stupid tiles that keep flipping. I guess if we have the blight in mostly a "holding position" for the vast majority of the game, this wouldn't be a problem.

I'd say that it's probably best if the blight isn't *always* fighting its way into your civ. True, those tiles might always be harder to expand into (require more culture pts), but I think it's only in specific moments of DO-power - the TW, the Era of Enc. Blight, and the LB, that the Blight actually "moves in" on your civ - requiring a powerful culture push to keep it away.

I see what you mean and I think I agree. How about we treat the Blight like foreign borders to start with? It's immovable but the two don't fight one another. Wasting a city's culture expansion fighting off the Blight will be a pain. We can have Blight expand into free territory and possibly affect civs during events like you suggest - but in general just have the two block each other.

Expanding into the Blight is less of a problem, I think. The boosted culture cost makes it easier for the AI to assess the difficulty of those hexes and makes sense since you're "forcing out" the Blight.

But maybe that can be reserved for a relatively late game tech.

Yeah, you have made your points, and I agree with you, for sure. It was only a "feel" thing that led me to prefer what I previously preferred. Let's just try to keep civs out of the deep parts of the blight for the first half of the game so we can keep a cloud of smoke around it (kinda lame if a knight is sitting in the blight and BAM Thakandar appears). Also, are we calling it Thakandar, or Shayol Ghul?

My gut reaction is that Shayol Ghul is the Natural Wonder and Thakan'dar is the name of the city. But then we'd need to spawn Thakan'dar separately from Shayol Ghul. That might not be bad, but it might be a bit strange.

Maybe some civs being "forced" to one side is part of the game, and one of the interesting characteristics of playing "the middle." I don't see it as a problem. I mena, that's what Rand was doing, convincing people who were on the fence. If that person's like "but I was going to be shadow!" then I'd just suggest next time they actually *play that way.*

Definitely, sounds like we agree on this one.

I think they should have the option, it will just tear their civ apart. If they think they can take that on, then let them at it.

Remind me why we can't just do something like "20 turns after the World Era becomes Era of Nations? True, in some games, a couple civs might be well into the Era of Freedom, but that's already a risk, since using world era means that sometimes a runaway civ would trigger it by getting far ahead in tech.

We can do that too. If it turns out that the Trolloc Wars is starting too early then we can make adjustments like that. A nice side effect of doing a fixed "X turns after event Y" is that we can "ramp up" to the actual starting point.

I think the only risk is "domination victory in 15turns".
Otherwise you won't realy become runaway, even using Hawking "action":
-> you gain huge military might …
But half your conquest disappear after 15turns
All your "free" military disappear
Half your "normal" military disappear.

However seen otherwise : after the event you keep 50% of your conquest
Some "freed" cities become entangled into your empire
You do not lose your initial cities
You lose some military… but normally you should have destroyed much more from the other civs.

It is a double edged sword.
You don't really want to use it… but you'd rather be the one using it than having other use it.

I think that the player finding it really easy to get far ahead is a big drawback here. Good players are already at a massive tactical advantage against the AI - even if they only get to keep some of their conquests, they can dismantle a lot of their direct opposition. They're much more likely to be restricted by the distance they can cover across the map than any enemy trying to hold them off. We can modify the effects of conquests so this is less of an issue for the High King, but then the way that combat works is changing throughout the game, which can be super confusing.

I'm still a bit concerned about the military aspect of this too. TW, High King, and Last Battle would all be very military and one of CiV's strengths is the non-military angles of play.

I like the idea of a single empire that expands rapidly and then collapses in on itself, but I don't know if we can practically achieve that. We're always fighting against the AI's biggest disadvantages. I think we should explore counterpoint's idea about a diplo-based High King event here and see what the advantages and disadvantages of the two systems are.

If the bad effects are worse for big civs and less an issue for small civs, you'll have a mechanics for which big civs will not want to use it, while small civs will be more inclined to use it.

That's probably how we'd want to play it, if we do this.

(maybe Hawking event distribute known techs (or part of it) to all nearby civs?... so advanced civ will not want to spread their advantages, and weak civs will want to use it to "profit" from more advanced civs ??)

This would discourage runaways from using it since they often have a significant tech lead. At the same time, they're runaways because they can maintain that lead. One of boosts to their enemies' tech is probably less damaging than an enemy with the High King military bonuses.

for me its an issue of flavour : the link between "customs" and "brightness" being difficult to see.
Personally I think it is also an issue of "too-vanilla-system"… but that is secondary as that brings it back to the question above.. and given that you'll be roughly the only modder… you are free to impose your limits.

And

GS are not linked to religion specifically, they are linked to science ; it is their main output. However, faith is the main output of religion, and the main way you plan (for the moment) to use "faith" is crazily linked to brightness and the Dragon… while paths and customs have no semantic link with those. That's my only point.
Is it bad to rename the civ5 system in the WoT universe? Of course not.
However, you want to create a system of paths/customs that has few bearing in the WoT .. while there are other lore-things that are currently lacking a mechanics and that could have used really well the system of religions.
-which prophecy do you follow ? which prophecy will bind your nation to the dragon reborn ? will you want to have options to capture him and control him but he will resist ? or will you want options to adhere to him, where you can control him less, but you get more bonus ? or will you only want to have a bargain with him and let other people save the world ? or will you decide that the world is doomed and that following the DO is the less dangerous option..
-ta'vern / Old Blood can also be used here : customs link into … lineages ? that enable you, late game, to buy "Old Blood units", the remaining being managed as the normal civ5 faith.
-light vs dark: it is roughly linked to the "paths" you proposed, but why would their be bonus for light and malus for shadow? and "customs" have no semantic link to that. DF fanatics are as faithful (and maybe more) than light people…. The issue is that you don't have much options…

Anyway, pasting WoT pseudo-lore on a civ5 concept without changing it is not bad… I just think it is a waste, a waste of potential, especially because civ5 religion is so bland that it is almost insipid (but couldn't be otherwise for political correctness), and a waste for the other WoT concepts that will need to be adapted to other civ5 mechanics or for which new mechanics will need to be created.

I'm jumping ahead to this bit because it links up with the previous post I quoted. I'm afraid this has to be my last section for the evening though - I'm exhausted!

I think the main distinction here is that Paths are representing belief structures, which are a big part of the WoT mythos - things like Ji'e'toh. This concept meshes well with the CiV notion of religion and being something that's spreadable to a population. Customs are what make up those beliefs (the veiling of faces, the codes of honor, etc.) and we're unifying that concept as each civilization's "Path to the Light" - their way that they show themselves to be righteous. Alignment is feeding back into that (not the only way of controlling it, just contributing to it in a significant way - which is a distinction counterpoint articulated a few pages ago and I've come to see is quite important). Lineage is the starting point for a set of customs - who your civ are as a people (and where they are) would determine the founding tenets of their beliefs. (Not mechanically - flavor wise)

It's mentioned somewhere else in the posts since I posted last that we might remove Paths for games where the Last Battle was disabled (I think?) - which I don't think we should do. Alignment (with the Light) is only one way of accruing faith for a path - they can still act very like the CiV religions in non-LB games.

With regards to wasting flavor, I don't think we'll have that problem. If anything, I think we'll have the opposite one. WoT is a very deep series, but compared to the complexity we need for a full game of CiV, which is based on the much more fleshed out history of reality, it's lacking in a lot of key details. I think we'll be hard pressed to find enough WoT content for every aspect of CiV - and I think a system like Paths strikes a very good balance here.

About Aes Sedai/Windfinders/Damane etc. - I think those differences and the flavor involved with them are covered by our adaptation of Ideologies, and we can't make that central to both "religion" and "ideologies". I think those concepts map better there too - an opinion on channelers and how they should be handled becomes a very political one. How the customs of a nation evolve is much more distributed and buttery (spreadable!).

I think following prophecies could also be a religion replacement, but I don't think it's particularly a better one than the Paths we have now. There are certainly differing prophecies associated with peoples' beliefs (Coramoor, Car'a'carn, etc.), though I think we'd run into a similar situation we did a few pages ago and there would be less than we'd like. The other side of that is that prophecies do work well as GWs or Dragon-related flavor, whereas the other beliefs (like Ji'e'toh) don't - so I'm not sure where we'd put what we've displaced out of Paths.

I'm afraid I'm out of time for the night, folks. I'll be back!

Picking up where I left off yesterday.

A quick note at the top of my post that we still haven't addressed a more formal definition of who/what/where/when for Boons. I'm writing this little note last, so I can't really expand more now, but I think it's worth coming back to, because it's quite important! :D

I think I should follow up here by asking what you don't like about the espionage stuff? I think enumerating all of the edge cases is complex, but it should play well and be more straightforward in practice.

Thoughts?

Before addressing the above, I'll just jump to:

Hopefully we should co-operate on here in a spirit of good faith - I think we've all recycled ideas from earlier in the thread (I've realized it about some of my own posts after writing them) or come up with very similar ideas that have already been mentioned. Sometimes it helps to retread those those if we're having difficulty on the mechanics concerned - a particular example for me was the Neutral alignment in the LB. It was a single specific phrasing from one post that flipped my understanding of using neutral and changed my mind, so even a fresh set of words on the same idea can be helpful.

So, I think we all mean well here - we're trying to make the mod better.

Back to the idea - separating the WoT GPs from analogous CiV GPs. I see now that we've discussed the promotion approach more after Calavente's post a few pages back. In a twist on our usual format, I'm going to quote myself:

I do like that this allows us to include a lot more of the flavorful, "one-shot" GP-like roles that come up in the WoT books (like Slayer and Min). However, I think we have a big strategy problem here. These GPs will presumably do quite different things and I can't see a player ever wanting to take the gamble of trying to get one they want when GPs are otherwise predictable in their specific usefulness. I don't think we can randomize our Great Scientist/Engineer/Merchant equivalents to make up for that - these are one of the primary ways tall empires compete with wide ones and they need to be able to reliably generate specific GP types.

Another concern I have, regarding complexity, is that I think the GP system is already one of the most complex parts of base CiV. I'm fairly sure most players don't properly understand exactly what goes into making GPs and what affects their costs (I've still got some grey areas) - it's more of a general *making GP points makes more GPs*. (Which is loosely true, but you can be more optimal than that.) Now, you could say that players will tend to produce these GPs "incidentally" instead of purposefully, like Great Admirals. (Aside question, what do we do with free GP-selection and this randomness? Putting in a "random WoT-like GP" option there is definitely bad - the other GPs are reliable and do what you want. Can the player choose from al our new GP types then? Might be too powerful if they're balanced for rarity? They can of course just not be available for "free GP" selection.)

You don't know what you're talking about, me! I think I misunderstood this suggestion the first time through - the above quote makes me think I was still mixing the spawn conditions/yields of these new GPs with the old ones and having to trade off against them. However, I think my angle might have been this one:

Traditionally GPs are generated by Specialists. Specialist slots become available in your cities through certain buildings/wonders. You can have an available citizen work as a Specialist (instead of working a tile on the map) and your city will get the yields from that Specialist slot (if unworked, Specialist slots produce nothing). One of the yields of Specialists is (often) GP points toward their respective GP (Scientist Specialists produce Great Scientist points, etc). The GP point rate can be additionally affected by a variety of building/policy modifiers, but Specialists and Wonders are the primary sources of GP points.

If we make this "WoT GP" use similar mechanics, then players would need their citizens to work whatever Specialists produced WoT GP points - sometimes at the exclusion of working "normal" Specialists. Given that "WoT GPs" aren't reliably useful for the player's specific situation, I was worried that players would always go for the "normal" Specialists because it's a guaranteed payoff.

HOWEVER, as I mentioned many pages ago (and what you guys might have been trying to tell me for the last page), we can generate GPs in any arbitrary way we like. We don't need to link WoT GPs to Specialists. They don't need to be a trade off against existing GP types that have "reliable" payoffs.

So, this might be what people have been discussing already, but what are our available triggering mechanisms?

Related to this:

We could certainly do that, but as counterpoint has said a bit later, randomness is part of the flavor for these GP types and this approach is quite systematic.

That makes a lot more sense than a static EXP bonus! :D

OK, I think number two is certainly the coolest as described by you. That said, the specificity of them is quite problematic. I'm sure what I'm about to say has been said, but I guess I'm putting it in my own words to try and help make sense of it:

I could imagine this working if there were a few (randomly decided in each game?) prophesies that became evident toward the middle to end game. They could have flavorful names, but essentially they would be sort of not-too-specific task for civs to do. Such as:
1) [flavorful text that means] somebody needs to conquer a city with a naval vessel
2) [vflavorful text that means] somebody needs to build a super huge city of pop 35 or something
3) [flavorful text that means] somebody needs to strike down two false dragons.

Whatever. The point is these would all be (retroactively) associated with the dragon or something, flavorwise, though they wouldn't actually need to mechanically have anything to do with him. And these would be things that some civs would be doing anyways. End result is that, I guess, the real dragon would appear shortly after? I don't know, this is kinda lame. I don't know what happens if nobody does them, though....

I can see those kinds of things working. Do these slot well into the Alignment-affecting events that take place over the course of the game? I don't think we've discussed what we want the content of those "events" to be yet - just the general gist of how they're structured.

This approach leans towards Prophecies as separate entities (not GWs) - part of determining Alignment and therefore part of the Last Battle (the part of it that exists for the whole game). Also means they'd probably switch off with the Last Battle if it were disabled.

As we've discussed in the last few pages, I agree that specific GWs having in-game effects like prophecies (while other GWs don't) is weird. I think we should either change all GWs to have some effects like this or have none do that. Changing all GWs that way is a big ask. I'd be inclined to shelve that to revisit at a later date post-release - if we think the culture system needs more WoT-ification at that time.

But we like prophecies as GWs flavor wise. So, how about the following?

More generic prophetic objectives like counterpoint has here as a part of the Alignment system and therefore leading into the Last Battle. Conveniently, we could use this as a vehicle to drive non-combat participation in the lead up to the Last Battle? This brings over the WoT flavor of history being "prophesied" and that in each game the players are causing those to be fulfilled - eventually leading to the Last Battle cataclysm.

But the "actual" prophecies from the books (The Karaethon Cycle, the Jendai Prophecies, various Foretellings) are GWs - they produce culture and prestige like other GW types, but are a sub-classification of GW (like artifact vs artwork in base CiV).

So, that brings up a myriad of questions about the "generic" prophecies. On map objectives like "take a city with a ship" and "kill two false dragons" work in a similar way to city-state quests. What if the prophecies present options - or more specifically, that prophecies can be overturned and disproven? If it's a Shadow prophecy (flavor determines the prophecy's alignment), overturning it increases the player's Light alignment? The player would need to be able to tell how the Prophecies were aligned apart (as would the AI, but it's got a more practical advantage of being able to just look at the number which represents that prophecy's alignment result).

I think most prophecies would need to resolve themselves in some way after a certain amount of time - allowing them to be left unfinished makes keeping track of them very difficult, both for the player and for the game on an implementation complexity level (how certain prophecies overlap). It seems likely that tipping everyone's (or civs within a specific radius of some focal point) Alignment a specific way (which way is determined per-prophecy) would encourage specific players to engage with prophecies to avoid potential adverse affects on their own Alignment gameplans.

We would need a way to decide which prophecies are applicable on a given map and with a given game state. (Can't ask a player to take a city on a coast if there are no coastal cities on the map) These conditions are likely to be bespoke for each prophecy, which isn't ideal (I can't see a way of making this XML-configurable, where I can with most things we're doing), but I can't see how we avoid that.

The last big open question is how we decide (at runtime, for a given game) which prophecies are associated in what way with the Dragon. The only way I see that we can do that is having prebuilt "Dragon prophecies" that we know are linked in specific ways. ("The player who completes the most of the prophecies from this subset X of the set of all prophecies Y is the civ where the Dragon is born")

There's also the totally "smoke and mirrors" approach. Say somebody builds the Prophesy of Callandor. Just say "The Prophesy of Callandor has been fulfilled" at the right time in the right era....

This is possible, but I think it's a bit bland. I think we have good candidates for national projects and if these prophecies are available to be built like wonders, then they'll be built in every game, it's just a question of who builds them.

If you're still referring to them as GWs and just "completing" at a specific time in history, this is basically just a popup for the player. It might be cool, but I don't think it adds much to the experience.

I don't know, I'm still not totally sold on the GWs mattering. I do like the Prophesies as GWs, though - it seems quite flavorful. The problem with prophesy is.... free will, and.... randomness of a game. Prophesies are great in novels, not great in anything that is variable. I'd just as soon leave them as flavor and not integrate too much. It's one thing for the dragon to periodically fulfill prophesies, but to have them be real and actual game altering events... I dunno.

I'm in agreement that specific GWs mattering is weird. Hopefully what I've suggested above is a good way of avoiding that.

- The Paths being very much integrated into Alignment (which would be scrapped I'd imagine if people disabled the LB)

This was what I remembered in my post yesterday. I'm not sure if you're suggesting we disable Paths when the LB is disabled? I think they're suitably separated that we don't have to.

And

the difference being that the aiels are the best warriors and best army of the Rand World and crush everyone when the Mesoamerican civ were way behind the conquistador and were crushed.
So that means that the old-fashion tech of the Aiels is in fact the most advanced one… which is contradictory… thus it means that the Aiels went very early to the mastery of the military tech tree (and commerce) … and stayed there, with technological stagnation after that.
that's unfair and you know it. You point a Dragon cannon to any of the armies of the westland and the get the same treatment as the Aiels.
And dragon cannon are .. dragon era techs..
We were speaking about aiels having reached in 1000years or so the peak of military tech until the dragon era…. (where of course cannon come into play)
Because we know (due to rand's visions) that they reached their military and political and "religious" structure about 1000 year after the breaking .. and didn't change much since then.

For Aztecs, the civ game and tech tree is totally stupid and makes it that Aztec jaguars are (depending on which civ version : warrior UU, classical swordman UU, medieval swordman UU..etc)

I disagree that having the Aztec UU as an ancient era unit was a bad idea. Their UU, based on what we know about the actual Aztec warriors, clearly fits very effectively in the ancient era. CiV doesn't aim to mimic the placement in time of the civilizations it uses - this is the same disconnection from flavor that allows us to found an American Washington (the city) in 4000BC. The fact that Civ X actually only had technology Y by date Z isn't considered - just the unique component of what that civilization did with that particular technology. Then that unique component is placed in the "time-extracted" frame of worldwide progression wherever that happens to be. It's also the same kind of thing where CiV doesn't model the relative power levels of its civilizations - America, Rome, the Mongols, etc. have flavorful bonuses that push them towards their real actions, but aren't considerably better overall as civilizations, despite their grand successes in their respective time periods.

As counterpoint mentions in the next quote block I'll come to, we're short on older era units and I think I agree that it makes sense to have the Aiel UU be towards the beginning of the tech tree. Also mentioned elsewhere, having the Aiel UA grant them military advantages over other civilizations is a representation of the Aiel's superior individual warriors, compared to everyone else. A lot of wars in CiV aren't fought by UUs, so this is in many ways a more accurate representation of the Aiel's particular societal advantages.

I can see what Calavente means about the Aiel maxing out the military tree right away and there are certainly 4X games where that happens (Endless Space has 4 tech trees that all branch out from a central point - though in practice it's difficult to beeline up one tree).

I think we'll have significant opinions on mechanics like this when it comes to wonders - it seems like the same kind of flavor issue where I'm more in favor of fudging the flavor to make the game work better. Potentially controversial example (that we'll probably have to come back to later rather than discuss at length now) - I think civs should be able to build the Stone of Tear (just named the "The Stone" much like "The Great Wall" I'd imagine), and possibly relatively early. Because it passes up such a dramatic amount of in-universe-applicable roles that we need to fill in that time frame. But anyway, that specific case is more for when we're deciding on a wonder list - which needs the overarching game systems to be set fairly in stone.

This does bring up a problematic thing though, and one that stems from us only having "modern" civs - we have no ancient UUs and very few midgame UUs. MAnetheren and the Aiel may be the only real examples. In the interest of balance, this kind of thing may the reason we have to have a few other old civs at launch - to fill in those gaps in eras 1-4.

Revisiting Hawkwing as a launch civ? ;) I think I'm a bit more amenable to this reasoning though! Do we have other good candidates for historical civs that we didn't mention last time?

Yeah, I thought that we were planning on SOMETHING happening on a "global scale" around the Hawkwing era. A War of Hundred Years thing might not be a great idea - we already have a couple "mandated wars" in our timeline, and you can't exactly force all the civs to go to war. Some kind of diplomatic event, as you guys have been talking about, has seemed to me to be the way to go. I'm not suggesting anybody be elected high king, but we should be able to work something out - hey, doesn't this Era correspond with the Renaissance - so wouldn't a World Congress-y thing pop up around now?

Yes, we didn't really go into detail on what we wanted with Hawkwing at the time. I think the World Congress analogue is tied up in our diplo victory and the White Tower. I'd quite like to have a more non-combat world event to add to the TW and LB, but still unsure on what it should be composed of.

I'm less sold on the idea of having to manually determine the identity of the real Dragon - mostly because I'm not sure we could do it properly and in a repeatably interesting way over several games. If we were working within a scripted experience (like Elder Scrolls) then things more like the events of the books work better, but we have to make more changes for a framework like CiV.

I think not knowing who the Dragon is is part of the world vs book events. In the books, Rand, Moiraine, and Siuan work out the whole Dragon identity fairly fast, like you say. But in our case, we (the players) are the other guys - Mattin Stepaneos and his ilk who refuse to believe until it's stuffed into their faces in the form of widespread starvation and rampaging Trollocs. I think it makes sense flavor wise to "not know" where the real Dragon is in some ways, but it's mechanically difficult.

The dichotomy vanishes once the Last Battle starts because then everyone and their uncle knows Rand is the Dragon. Our Dragon mechanics rely on the assumption that a "known Dragon" can take actions - which is the case during the Last Battle, less so beforehand.

There it is! I knew somebody had already made the suggestion I made a couple posts ago (the one that I don't really like anymore...)

I think I reread this whole thing like 5 times before I realized what you meant here :p - that Calavente's post you're quoting is from a few pages back!

HEY GUYS, I think I figured it out. It seems to work, at least mostly.

First off, I use openoffic, because free. There's an addon called BBkoΔe I found ( http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/project/bbkode ) that will convert documents into bbcode! Now, it does some weird things, in that it doesn't recognize the LIST tags and stuff like that, but it DOES do all the bolds and italics and stuff, which is really rather awesome.

Hilariously, I did a lot of googling and finally found the answer when I stumbled on this page - it's a brony site! http://www.bronyville.org/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3722 This guy is explaining this all very well.... to help people write brony fanfic. We'll use it for modding, thank you very much!

Interesting and strange! Useful though - I've taken a look and it looks like some people have done similar things for Word, though none are particularly polished. I'm not sure if bbcode is strictly standardized across different forum hosting software, which would make life difficult for people writing these kinds of add-ons!

Right. I don't really mean "what are you calling the archeo" so much as "is this unit going to be our archaeo unit, or is this an entirely separate unit that ONLY searches for seals?"

I think that's determined by whether or not we go for Seals-in-antiquity-sites. If we do, then our archeologist equivalent can do both. If Seals are separate "diggable" tiles, then I think we'd have a separate unit for Seals.

This kind of thing might just come down to programming specific conditional behavior, huh? Like, you force the AI to do X and Y in certain situations. Instead of actually making it "think" or anything. I know, of course, that all AI is this - I essentially just mean a more "heavyhanded" approach in this case.

The way the AI is done now is basically like this - though responsibility for specific game subsystems is handled separately (i.e. there's a citizen AI that assigns citizens for cities, which can be poked by the city production AI that decides what to build, but remains completely separate from the tactical AI that moves combat units - all within a single player). It responds to given situations in fixed ways, there are just so many variables in CiV that it's very difficult to tell exactly what they'll do. In fact, if one were studious enough (going over the AI code and how it handles given circumstances) there are only some random elements (flavor system can introduce randomness though given enough time you could probably predict that too) that prevent you from making perfect predictions of what the AI will do.

Of course, predicting exactly what the AI will do based on its encoded behavior and the state of the game is a much more computationally intensive task (in some ways) that just letting it go ahead and finding out what happens. This feels very relevant right now.

Right. I think whatever hawkwing-era thing happens should be smaller (diplo, etc.), not all-consuming like the TW or LB. On that note, probably the TW shouldn't really be all consuming, especially since it's so early. Just like barbarians times 10... ok maybe that's all consuming!

I think in terms of how much it impacts everyone, the Trolloc Wars should be felt everywhere and be most player's primary concern for a while. But I'm not sure if it should reshape the entire face of the world like it did in WoT (because we can't do the re-emerging different nations stuff). Whereas the Last Battle I'd say definitely - things should never be the same in that game again for anyone.

Third dream has someone "last of the dragon's blood" be attacked in the last fortress of aiels. The attack came with raken, and at least the clan chief took the sword of an assailant: Seanchan used swords.. but maybe muskets too : we learn that Seanchan became more powerful since wetlanders joined the fight.. as they could capture more damane.
Fourth dream is about aviendha's great-daughter: she tricks Andor (and all others) into abandoning the dragon peace and joining the fight: there are no mentions of weapons.
Fifth dream : aviendha's children (no vision of aviendha herself): they still use spears to kill some seanchans... However aviendha's daughter still speak that "they have issues adapting to the modern days: trains, and firearms" : no mention of what kind of firearms.

I hope it helps.

--> so IMO Cars and rifles/shock lances are too late in the future if the 4th age tech are supposed to show the next 10-25 years after the LB.

And

I guess all I'd say to this is that Giant Death Robots are probably more than 15 years in the future on earth, right? So CiV has set the precedent for us gong a little far in the future. Definitely no Sho-wings and shocklances, but the musket-light lightsticks and some steam power and stuff may not be unreasonable.

Ok, it sounds like the first gunpowder weapons started cropping up toward the end of our time frame! Regarding steam power, I remember one of Rand's academies had mention of someone who had made a steam-driven mechanized vehicle (it was a prototype car, but in many more words than that).

Further: humanity started over… but they knew that progress existed. It is not the same task to try to re-invent things than it is to invent them for the first time.
And aviendhas' (or Rand's) vision in Ruidhean show that nations were already organized, with kingdoms or sort, and a medieval or at least celtic-level of organisation around 200-500 AB.
And don't tell me that they wouldn't be able to do in 2000 years what we did from -500 to +1500…especially as they don't have time to lose in adoring gods and creating religions: they know from start about the light, the pattern and the DO… and they have some Aes sedai and remains of the AoL that help guide them… most survivors are also veterans of battles against the Trollocs : they don't have to re-learn all from scratch.
And 1500AD is much too advanced for the Dragon Age.

So your conception is that up until the Era of Dragon, they were kinda dumb and took 3000 years, to do less than the real world in 2000 years ?

For me I go with the principle that they were as smart.. and acquired as quickly (or with a bit more speed)(1000-1500 years) most of the tech of the European middle age … and for 1500 years they lived… and did some fews innovations (low-middle age toward high middle age) but they had nothing to push them toward more innovations.
(EDIT: the technical stagnation that you spoke about a bit later .. and I agree that Dark ages were a technical stagnation or ever technical loss that is represented as a progression in civ)

I think it's fair to say that technology progressed more slowly in WoT than it did in reality. I don't think that's a symptom of the intelligence or motivation of the humans in WoT though. It took the WoT peoples longer to achieve a similar technological progress to Earth because they're dealing with much more frequent cataclysms and a very powerful malicious agency (the Dark One) working against them. Real people would've advanced technologically much more slowly if they'd been dealing with things like Trollocs.

Rediscovery may be more difficult than it looks at first - if Age of Legends technology is much like modern technology then it decays quickly if not kept well repaired. I understand the Breaking potentially lasted a few centuries - many generations for all of that knowledge and expertise to be lost. The Forsaken know where to look and even specifically how some of the Age of Legends technology works, and even they don't end up significantly better off than people without that knowledge in similar positions of power.

About technological progress, the kind of progression I've been thinking works well for WoT is in a prototypical phase here. You can see that we're covering a lot of the foundations of real technologies that are implied by the state of the world in the books.

And

What you're suggestion re: Aiel boils down to essentially a static combat bonus as their UA, and something like this could be possible. It feels safe to assume that the Aiel's UA will be *something* military - to be determined later!

I think Illianor's suggestion is that if we want to make the Aiel UU appear earlier on the tech tree, we don't necessarily have to have it be obsolete by the end of the game (which would allow players to use it in-time-period). The "feature" of this UU vs the base unit it replaces could be that it gets steadily stronger as the game progresses (it wouldn't upgrade to any other unit) - making it perpetually useful, but never overpowered. It's certainly interesting, I think we could come back to this when we're discussing specific uniques for the civs.

I also feel like from the dreams, that they have fire arms in the first, cars by the 4th, and then as they are finally wiped out that the 'lightsticks' might even be lasers

Lasers in WoT would be an interesting one! I think we have a prototype car in the time period of the books, so who knows what they can do combining technology and magic. I don't think we'll go this far into the future though.

I type my responses on CivFan because I only write short things! Though sometimes I feel like I should do a full reply with quotes... Maybe for counterpoint's channelling thesis I'll do it :D

I also type my posts on here! And I have only just this second realized you can resize the edit box on the reply page! Infinitely useful! :D

Interesting idea with the smaller growth curve in combat strength - would actually probably help in keeping the channelers balanced. I wonder if it would be as satisfying for the player to only have incremental/subtle increases in strength, though.

This also crosses over well with a "slowed" technological progression. It does make taking the lead in science less helpful at making war though - you're rewarded more for raw production capacity (the side with more units will win more - and at higher difficulties that will always be the AI).

EDIT: Greetings, all! I'm once again disappearing for the weekend! Will be back on Monday evening!

ok, I got about 30 min. Let's see how far i get!

By the way, still steadily working on War and Peace. This week and weekend are really bad - i MIGHT be done soon, but otherwise might sadly be another week.

This would mean that we'd need to tweak the citizen mechanics a bit. I'm fine with doing that, but just making sure we're doing it intentionally. If the effects of these Darkfriend citizens manifest when the citizen is "worked" (like all other citizens) then if we want players to be affected by them all the time, we'll need to lock citizens from the city into working on them. That can potentially have a big effect on gold, hammers, and, probably most importantly, food. Having a starving city that you can't make break even because DF citizens are locked in would be kind of annoying.

Then again, we can make it so that they're equally as optional as normal citizen assignments. The question then is for bonuses like Shadow civs spying on Light that are dependent on the number of Darkfriend civilians, do we use the number of available slots for Darkfriend citizens or the actual "worked" number? Worked number is more consistent, but easily avoidable for the defender.

The other question is how we distribute these. Alignment is accrued (as I understand it) globally per civ - so there needs to be some way to select which cities DF citizens appear in. I think it makes sense that they would target high population cities, so we can use that as a weighting for a random choice among the top few.

All good questions and points...

An idea - what if "darkfriend" was just a label slapped on pre-existing specialists? Sorry if this is what you were proposing above. But what if a scientist was either a Scientist or a Darkfriend Scientist? This wouldn't be optional - they would become DF based on your alignment, corruption from outside, your own efforts to quell DFs, et. Their production would probably be equivalent, with one key difference. Maybe the yield was slightly less or more, but also had some of the effects we've been pondering previously?

Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest. I don't love the idea of people metagaming this too much - sitting there, choosing which number of DFs gives you optimal production... bleh. Let it be a symptom/cause of your alignment, mostly. I wish I had more clear thoughts on this at this time.

I'm not sure if we'll be able to measure that kind of greediness effectively though. We risk the rules for that seeming very arbitrary or forcing games of Dragon-hopscotch.

Fair 'nough.

I see what you mean and I think I agree. How about we treat the Blight like foreign borders to start with? It's immovable but the two don't fight one another. Wasting a city's culture expansion fighting off the Blight will be a pain. We can have Blight expand into free territory and possibly affect civs during events like you suggest - but in general just have the two block each other.

Expanding into the Blight is less of a problem, I think. The boosted culture cost makes it easier for the AI to assess the difficulty of those hexes and makes sense since you're "forcing out" the Blight.

But maybe that can be reserved for a relatively late game tech.

OK, I think I like this! So the blight would have a foreign border. the Shadow Civ's territory? Interesting. That means the enemy-territory mechanics work for any blight expedition. Makes sense. I do think there should be some parts of the game where the blight fights back - TW, etc. As far as reclaiming the blight... maybe there are buildings/wonders that can do this? citadels of course make sense as well.

also, this does seem to foster somewhat realistic gamesmanship - players will put forts and citadels and units right on the blight bordre during these eras, i'd think.

My gut reaction is that Shayol Ghul is the Natural Wonder and Thakan'dar is the name of the city. But then we'd need to spawn Thakan'dar separately from Shayol Ghul. That might not be bad, but it might be a bit strange.

Duh, right. SG is the mountain. Ah, don't know how to handle it... kinda weird if they aren't next to each other. Well, certainly SG should be in the (one of the) Blight(s). Maybe that's good enough. Not going to be a natural wonder that gets "worked" though.

I think they should have the option, it will just tear their civ apart. If they think they can take that on, then let them at it.

right. civ does that delightful policy of letting the player destroy their own civ through their choices!

We can do that too. If it turns out that the Trolloc Wars is starting too early then we can make adjustments like that. A nice side effect of doing a fixed "X turns after event Y" is that we can "ramp up" to the actual starting point.

right. exactly. I like this more. World era change = ramp up to death! plus that gives bordrelander civs some warning. "The Blight has begun to expand!"

I like the idea of a single empire that expands rapidly and then collapses in on itself, but I don't know if we can practically achieve that. We're always fighting against the AI's biggest disadvantages. I think we should explore counterpoint's idea about a diplo-based High King event here and see what the advantages and disadvantages of the two systems are.

Yeah, I think these ideas are too crazy for our mid game. that said, seriously, this would be a fun scenario. Or multiple scenarios. the Rise AND Fall of the Empire.

I'm jumping ahead to this bit because it links up with the previous post I quoted. I'm afraid this has to be my last section for the evening though - I'm exhausted!

I think the main distinction here is that Paths are representing belief structures, which are a big part of the WoT mythos - things like Ji'e'toh. This concept meshes well with the CiV notion of religion and being something that's spreadable to a population. Customs are what make up those beliefs (the veiling of faces, the codes of honor, etc.) and we're unifying that concept as each civilization's "Path to the Light" - their way that they show themselves to be righteous. Alignment is feeding back into that (not the only way of controlling it, just contributing to it in a significant way - which is a distinction counterpoint articulated a few pages ago and I've come to see is quite important). Lineage is the starting point for a set of customs - who your civ are as a people (and where they are) would determine the founding tenets of their beliefs. (Not mechanically - flavor wise)

It's mentioned somewhere else in the posts since I posted last that we might remove Paths for games where the Last Battle was disabled (I think?) - which I don't think we should do. Alignment (with the Light) is only one way of accruing faith for a path - they can still act very like the CiV religions in non-LB games.

Right, so when I said this:
The Paths being very much integrated into Alignment (which would be scrapped I'd imagine if people disabled the LB)
I most def. did NOT mean that we would disable them should we disable the LB.

Here was my point: People had suggested that Paths be intricately linked to Alignment. I was trying and failing to articulate a reason why I find this to be a bad idea. We've established that the LB (and thus, Alignment), should be able to be disabled. IF we linked alignment to Path choices (not just faith output), then if a player disabled the LB, they'd be throwing our whole Path system out of balance (since its mechanics were designed to be working in conjunction with Alignment). If we keep them separate, this isn't an issue. Is that clearer?

As far as the rest of this, I am in agreement. I should mention in regards to the Prophesies as "religions" thing - yes, that was one of the ones we considered. I even did a post where I laid it out (a long with several others) and we didn't like it.

One thing about having the Prophesies from the book exist as distinct entities - whether as Religions, or as Dragon-proving conditions - is that the prophesies essentially all say the same things, or at least point towards the same things. The Prophesy of the Dragon, the Proph of Rhuidean, the Jendai Prophesies - all of these are about Rand. Makes it kind of odd to have different civs swearing allegiance to different ones, or whatever. There is major intersection between these. True, Rhuidean focuses on the Aiel, of course, but *all of these prophesies come true,* ultimately. Even when we look at the Shadow prophesies - even this stuff happened. It wasn't a prophesy that predicted the shadow would win, they told of stuff that would happen (that concerned the shadow) that.... ultimately led to Rand winning, yes?

That's a bit off topic, but I guess my point, outside of Religions, is that we shouldn't attach much meaning or "affiliation" to the prophesies in this game. I don't think the Dragon stuff should have different civs trying to prove "their" prophesy is correct. That doesn't seem to fit with how prophesy works in the book. That's why prophesies filling the GW role is great, IMO.

out of time, already!

Perhaps Shayol Ghul always spawns next to Thrakan'dar and it has some nice yields (part of what makes the city state strong, because it has a strong tile to work and/or it provided promotions to unit that pass next to it (so all the units created by Thrakan'dar), the problem with this is an enterprising player could just citadel bomb across the blight and steal the tile from them.

Top Bottom