Scenario: 1860 on GEM

Just wanted to update the current status of this scenario.

The scenario is basically COMPLETED. Right now, I am just balancing the military and economical strength.

I will be play testing it in the coming week. There are quite a lot of changes I've made to the existing scenarios too. Hopefully, I can release GEM 6.0 (which could be the last version) very soon.

Just wanted to update the current status of this scenario.

The scenario is basically COMPLETED. Right now, I am just balancing the military and economical strength.

I will be play testing it in the coming week. There are quite a lot of changes I've made to the existing scenarios too. Hopefully, I can release GEM 6.0 (which could be the last version) very soon.

I will test ! :woohoo:

Yeah, actually I don't have a lot of to play test it lately. So although it might not be prefect, I would release it soon.

Me too. just done my last exam today so looking forward to playing 1860. Will be happy to playtest.

Regards

I recently started a game of 1860AD as Prussia. Some thoughts from first glance:

a) Cities:
I really think it would be best to just remove Bern. It makes no sense to give it to Sweden - if it's a problem to have it as a neutral city, why keep it in the game at all? Switzerland is insignificant in size and due to its neutrality never really played a major part in the European struggles of that time, so I would advise to remove it entirely. The solution with Bern being Swedish only leads to awkward cultural borders later in the game.

I was somewhat surprised to see Hamburg being Danish while Frankfurt and Munich are Austrian. I reckon this is done to reflect the fact that they were not part of Prussia in 1860, and to keep other Nations than Prussia from assaulting them (therefore not making them neutral). Is that correct?

b) Flags
Some flags seem to be missing. I noticed Prussia and Denmark in particular, their flags are displayed as solid black.

c) Strategy
Well, here is what I did, just for the record. My short-term goal was to overwhelm Austria without losing too many of my forces, as to remain the military dominant power in central Europe. Therefore, I ignored Denmark at first. In the long term, I was hoping to conquer all of central Europe, preferrably in the order of: Austria, Denmark, Netherlands, France, Italy.

Turn 1, Winter 1860 AD: Started to research Assembly Line at 100% science, moved all my Riflemen, Artillery, Cavalry and Grenadiers towards Frankfurt/Munich. Started production of Artillery in all cities except for Cologne (Airship). Spain declares war on me.

Turn 2, Spring 1860 AD: Started to bombard the defenses of Frankfurt and Munich.

Turn 3, Summer 1860 AD: Continued to bombard Frankfurt and Munich, regretting to have placed my Artillery between both cities. First Airship starts to bombard the defenders of Frankfurt. I notice that my culture pushes back the culture of Frankfurt and Hamburg around Cologne, despite not having allocated any points toward it.

Turn 4, Fall 1860 AD: First Artillery and second Airship are complete. I continue to bombard Frankfurt. My Workers are tasked to construct a Railroad connecting my Empire in the W/E-direction.

Turn 5, Winter 1861 AD: Third Airship, second Artillery. I bombard Frankfurt, attack with the remaining three Artilleries and take the city (6 defenders) without casualties. I send a machine gun to garrison it and move the first part of my army east, preparing to cross the river Danube. Frankfurt is ordered to construct an Airship once it leaves revolt (4 turns). I sink a Danish frigate threatening my ressources in the baltic sea.

Turn 6, Spring 1861 AD: My army crosses the Danube, advancing on Munich. I sink another danish frigate at the expense of one of my own. I get one Airship per turn now from Cologne, and one Artillery per turn from Berlin. I notice that Swedish culture in Bern is expanding rapidly, encompassing the tiles bordering Frankfurt. I plan to take Munich and then split my army to attack Vienna and Prague simultaneously.

Turn 7, Spring 1861 AD: The remainder of my forces cross the Danube. I get two Artilleries that are positioned on the hills NW of Prague, to start reducing their defenses next turn.

Turn 8, Fall 1861 AD: I conquer Munich without casualties. My vanguard advances north and south of the Danube, to close on Prague and Vienna. Unfortunately, my Airship from Cologne was destroyed since it was relocated to Amsterdam because of the Air unit limit.

Turn 9, Winter 1862 AD: My Airships relocate to Munich and Leipzig, I move the remainder of my army to the siege of Vienna and Prague. Berlin starts constructing a Machine Gun, to be stationed in the newly conquered cities once completed. I construct a copper mine east of Berlin.

Turn 10, Spring 1862 AD: I conquer Prague, losing one Grenadier. My new Machine Gun garrisons Munich. In reaction to the ever-expanding Swedish culture in southern Germany, I set Frankfurt and Munich to produce Culture.

So much for the first 10 turns of my game of the 1860 AD scenario. More details to follow.

Best Regards,
Martin

I tried to download the new version 6.0, but the downloadlink directs to version 5.3.
Is this supposed to happen?

Is ok. I just forgot to rename it to 6.0.

In fact, I did - look a few posts higher in the thread, you probably missed the post.

I continued the game for about ~50 more turns, but by then I had become so powerful compared to the other nations that I decided to abort. Being kind of a GEM Veteran now, the situation kind of reminded me of other games I had played earlier in the 1940 AD scenario - so I know I would win eventually, and I did not want to spend more time just playing out the inevitable.

By ~1890 AD I was tech leader (Ecology being my latest Tech), my GDP about five times the one of my closest competitors, controlling France, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Austria, England and of course Prussia while having Spain and the chinese rebels (from Nanking, I forgot the civ's name) as my vassals.

It's a bit sad that you get new technology that fast in this game, because I quite enjoyed the initial set of units available (Riflemen, Cavalry, Artillery, Airships) which usually never occurs since by the time you get Artillery you already have Infantry.

Personally, I would really like a much (say: 10 times) slower tech pace, too bad you cannot configure this on a per-map basis.

Anyway, I kind of enjoyed it. It's another great GEM scenario. Too bad I don't have that much time to spare right now, it would probably be interesting to play as some weaker nation for a change. Prussia can really dominate easily because of the huge starting army (and the general inability of the AI to handle a map of this scope).

Best Regards,
Martin

I recently started a game of 1860AD as Prussia. Some thoughts from first glance:
Woops. How could I miss this?

a) Cities:
I really think it would be best to just remove Bern. It makes no sense to give it to Sweden - if it's a problem to have it as a neutral city, why keep it in the game at all? Switzerland is insignificant in size and due to its neutrality never really played a major part in the European struggles of that time, so I would advise to remove it entirely. The solution with Bern being Swedish only leads to awkward cultural borders later in the game.

I don't have a problem to have Bern as a neutral city, the only problem is I CANT. Making it minor nation or Barbarian are default to be at war with everyone. That's why I've combined it with Sweden (another well known neutral nation in Europe).

The awkward cultural problem you've mentioned, I don't think is the problem of Bern. It applies to every cities in CIV. When ever you took a city, the surrounding cities will grab the lands by culture. But may be I can check whether Bern is having too many culture building.

I was somewhat surprised to see Hamburg being Danish while Frankfurt and Munich are Austrian. I reckon this is done to reflect the fact that they were not part of Prussia in 1860, and to keep other Nations than Prussia from assaulting them (therefore not making them neutral). Is that correct?

I am trying to simulate two wars at once: The Second Schleswig War (1864) and Austro-Prussian War (1866).
I learnt most of these from Wiki, so correct me if I am wrong.

The first being a war between Denmark and Prussia. Denmark control the Schleswig-Holstein region before the war and Hamburg is the closest large city 'almost' within that area and so I gave it to Denmark. I suppose it gives some incentive for Prussia to fight Denmark for unity too.

For the second war, I grouped the minor German states to the two sides. Kingdom of Bavaria and the Free City of Frankfurt were on Austria's side so they are given to Austria.

b) Flags
Some flags seem to be missing. I noticed Prussia and Denmark in particular, their flags are displayed as solid black.
Ah, my mistake. I forgot to move the flags from my development version to the release version. Can fix that straight away.

c) Strategy
Great sharing!

It's a bit sad that you get new technology that fast in this game, because I quite enjoyed the initial set of units available (Riflemen, Cavalry, Artillery, Airships) which usually never occurs since by the time you get Artillery you already have Infantry.

Personally, I would really like a much (say: 10 times) slower tech pace, too bad you cannot configure this on a per-map basis.

Is is really that fast? I thought the research would at least take 20-30 turns. May be I should change the time frame back to per year basis?

I continued the game for about ~50 more turns, but by then I had become so powerful compared to the other nations that I decided to abort. Being kind of a GEM Veteran now, the situation kind of reminded me of other games I had played earlier in the 1940 AD scenario - so I know I would win eventually, and I did not want to spend more time just playing out the inevitable.

Hopefully Better AI 0.6 will give us more challenges!

Concerning research speed, I started out with a projection of 50 turns to my next technology. Effectively, it took me 20 turns, because my science almost tripled from capturing new cities in the meantime. I think Prussia is a research powerhouse (because of the corporation), so with other civs this might take considerably longer, since you cannot set science to 100% all the time.

By 1890 AD, I produce over 5000 science per turn, which means that it takes about 4-8 turns to research a new technology.

By the way: Britain will probably liberate Australia and Canada (in that order). However, since there are no specific definitions, for me they created Iran (Australia) and Finland (Canada). Maybe this could be specified in the XML for the civilizations, so that these two civilizations (already defined because of the 1940 AD scenario) would be chosen.

Best Regards,
Martin

I am trying to simulate two wars at once: The Second Schleswig War (1864) and Austro-Prussian War (1866).
I learnt most of these from Wiki, so correct me if I am wrong.

The first being a war between Denmark and Prussia. Denmark control the Schleswig-Holstein region before the war and Hamburg is the closest large city 'almost' within that area and so I gave it to Denmark. I suppose it gives some incentive for Prussia to fight Denmark for unity too.

For the second war, I grouped the minor German states to the two sides. Kingdom of Bavaria and the Free City of Frankfurt were on Austria's side so they are given to Austria.

Genghis Kai :
I am German.
On the one Side ,you are right ,but war was between austria and prussia against denmark and nor only prussia against denmark.
And because of Frankfurt and München ,it gave a war between prussia and all german states (Austria ,Hannover ,Bavaria ...) ,but after this war ,it gave Prussia (North German) ,Austria and Bavaria ,Baden ,Württemberg ,Hessen.
But then France declared Prussia the War and Bavaria ,Baden ,Württemberg ,Hessen help Prussia and then come Germany.

When you have a place for a civ ,then use it and make the state Bavaria with München and Frankfurt as a vassal of austria.

I've just opened the map up and it looks great.

However- techical issues (v6.1):

Whenever I try playing as a South American civ on the civ selection menu the game crashes.

The game also crashes when i select the leaderheads of the South American civs and also Pretorius (South Africa/ Boer) on the f4 diplomacy screen.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it something that i'm doing wrong?

I've just opened the map up and it looks great.

However- techical issues (v6.1):

Whenever I try playing as a South American civ on the civ selection menu the game crashes.

The game also crashes when i select the leaderheads of the South American civs and also Pretorius (South Africa/ Boer) on the f4 diplomacy screen.

Does anyone else have this problem or is it something that i'm doing wrong?

Are you using the add-on graphics?

Are you using the add-on graphics?

I've downloaded the leaderheads now and all seems to be fine. I was thinking that if these leaderheads are now REQUIRED then shouldn't they be in the same one download pack?

Ps The scenario looks great. I was considering playing as Sioux, but decided to go for the Boers instead in South Africa. We'll see how that works out!

It will be interesting to see if Britain can easily achieve a domination victory through vassalizations and capitulations as the US tends to do in 1940. The way the engine works seems to generate a capitualtion quite easily if the empire sizes/points accumulation are massively imbalanced, even with limited military conquest e.g. As the Boers I have the Zulu offering to capitulate despite me taking only 1 of their 3 cities.

I've downloaded the leaderheads now and all seems to be fine. I was thinking that if these leaderheads are now REQUIRED then shouldn't they be in the same one download pack?

Ps The scenario looks great. I was considering playing as Sioux, but decided to go for the Boers instead in South Africa. We'll see how that works out!

It will be interesting to see if Britain can easily achieve a domination victory through vassalizations and capitulations as the US tends to do in 1940. The way the engine works seems to generate a capitualtion quite easily if the empire sizes/points accumulation are massively imbalanced, even with limited military conquest e.g. As the Boers I have the Zulu offering to capitulate despite me taking only 1 of their 3 cities.

It shouldn't be required. I was asking because I want to find out where the bug locates.
Did you installed the add-on pack on v5.3? I suppose you have done a clean install of GEM v6.0 (i.e. delete the old GEM version first)?

OK. I found the problem. It was a mis-naming of a file. Please redownload v6.1 again, if you want the no add-on graphics version. (don't worry if you have the add-on already).

OK. I found the problem. It was a mis-naming of a file. Please redownload v6.1 again, if you want the no add-on graphics version. (don't worry if you have the add-on already).

Thanks for the quick response. Yeah I did a clean reinstall of 6.1 with add ons. Actually, I've been missing out, as some of these leaderheads are great.

A quick suggestion: I am currently trying to play as the CSA, and once again Britain liberated Australia (almost right away) and Canada (~1865 AD) - but this time creating Hungary (Australia) and the Sovient Union (Canada).

I find this slightly annoying - would it be possible to install Australia and Canada as British Vassals right away? There was the Canadian Confederation in 1867 AD at least (so not that much later than the scenario start).

Maybe they should be vassal states of Britain right away - even if it's not entirely accurate.

Best Regards,
Martin

Top Bottom