[Scenario] Earth - 1936

ok, just added that. i'll start a new game and text, but let me be clear - before hand, i couldn't even train/buy a normal howitzer or whatever the originally artillery piece was, while i saw numerous pieces in France and Britain around turn 125 in 1940

edit: ok fieldguns and antiaircraft are there, but the howitzer isn't. Was the ID for the howitzer changed when it went from simply "artillery" to the 3 different times?

superedit: howitzers are now ther as well, dunno why they didnt appear at first.

My big question is this: if i ever have to reload new version of RED, will i have to change all of these fixes whenever the next version comes out

My big question is this: if i ever have to reload new version of RED, will i have to change all of these fixes whenever the next version comes out

No, I think the next version of the mod will have the updated Earth maps.

http://www.speedyshare.com/kBHTD/Earth1936ScriptFile.zip

Hey just replace the ScriptEarth1936.lua with this file and it should work properly (british convoys and a problem which prevented some of the events from working).

And Gedemon can you please replace the file I gave you for whatever update your working on with this one. I guess I didn't change the british convoy locations.

And thanks for finding the issue guys sorry it took me awile to get back.

http://www.speedyshare.com/kBHTD/Earth1936ScriptFile.zip

Hey just replace the ScriptEarth1936.lua with this file and it should work properly (british convoys and a problem which prevented some of the events from working).

And Gedemon can you please replace the file I gave you for whatever update your working on with this one. I guess I didn't change the british convoy locations.

And thanks for finding the issue guys sorry it took me awile to get back.

that's the script for v2 of the map, no ?

when is this fabled "next update" ? hmm? hmmmmm? will i have to learn some of all the tools people are talking about or will the update be out earlier then that? (slow learner...)

pasting that script lead to this identical crash:

[587814.965] RedMain: Baltimore class (id = 122894) at (160,63) check adjacent plots for submarines
[587814.965] RedMain: --------
[587814.965] RedMain: Fletcher class (id = 131087) at (160,62) check adjacent plots for submarines
[587814.965] RedMain: - found Baltimore class at (160,63)
[587814.965] RedMain: Fletcher class (id = 139280) at (157,62) check adjacent plots for submarines
[587814.965] RedMain: - found South Dakota class at (157,63)
[587815.448] RedMain: - Adding x2 Ocean move to Infantry (unitID =57350
[587815.448] RedMain: Destroyer (id = 65543) at (105,11) check adjacent plots for submarines
[587815.448] RedMain: --------
[587815.448] RedMain: Destroyer (id = 73736) at (106,13) check adjacent plots for submarines
[587815.448] RedMain: Destroyer (id = 81929) at (107,10) check adjacent plots for submarines
[587815.558] RedMain: - Infantry is already registered as UNIT_INFANTRY

---

[588069.777] RedMain: - found Fletcher class at (158,62)
[588069.777] RedMain: --------
[588069.777] RedMain: Fletcher class (id = 139280) at (157,63) check adjacent plots for submarines
[588069.777] RedMain: - found South Dakota class at (158,64)
[588069.777] RedMain: --------
[588070.214] RedMain: - Adding x2 Ocean move to Infantry (unitID =57350
[588070.214] RedMain: Destroyer (id = 65543) at (106,12) check adjacent plots for submarines
[588070.214] RedMain: - found Destroyer at (107,12)
[588070.214] RedMain: --------
[588070.214] RedMain: Destroyer (id = 73736) at (108,12) check adjacent plots for submarines
[588070.214] RedMain: - found Destroyer at (107,11)
[588070.214] RedMain: --------
[588070.323] RedMain: - Infantry is already registered as UNIT_INFANTRY

those were two separate game starts

e; and like an idiot i didn't back up the old script that i replaced the new one with, and even after deleting and redownloading the mod i'm getting this same crash. Hope it doesn't come down to reinstalling everything, but that will have to wait for a day or two

ilshur, that crash seems random. Sometimes when starting a game on the 1936 Earth map I'll get it but other times I won't. And it wasn't that new script that caused it, it happened with the old one too.

ilshur, that crash seems random. Sometimes when starting a game on the 1936 Earth map I'll get it but other times I won't. And it wasn't that new script that caused it, it happened with the old one too.

[74897.172] RedMain: - Adding x2 Ocean move to Infantry (unitID =57350
[74897.172] RedMain: Destroyer (id = 65543) at (106,10) check adjacent plots for submarines
[74897.172] RedMain: --------
[74897.172] RedMain: Destroyer (id = 73736) at (107,13) check adjacent plots for submarines
[74897.172] RedMain: Destroyer (id = 81929) at (108,12) check adjacent plots for submarines
[74897.172] RedMain: - found Destroyer at (107,13)
[74897.281] RedMain: - Infantry is already registered as UNIT_INFANTRY

Just got the same identical crash on three seperate gamestarts in the 1936. this is all a product of having pasted over the earth1936 script that T_K just hosted. And i have no idea how it changed stuff that i didn't delete when i deleted this morning all local content (both inside mydocuments and programs) and then redownloaded through steam while i was at work.

How do i reverse the process? i need an original 'good' scriptearth1936.lua to paste over this 'bad' one that changed all of this

deleting and downloading the mod will erase the new script.

Ok,

I've just started on every civ2 or 3 times (in 1936 earth), and only once did i get past turn 1 on france.

That unit_infantry already exists error came up every time in the LUA

How do i get ride of this?

hmmmm

Gedemon do you think me placing (via world builder) infantry units for minors could be causing this? because I only added unit_infantry (I think) via the world builder everything else was placed by your lua, so that may make since...

ok, im still getting the (UNIT_INFANTRY already exists) error, and its after having deleted all local content in both the programs(x86) and docs/mygames, and reinstalled everything.

Afaik its only in the earth 1936 game, but it happens during the USA turn at the end of the first turn on every game i started.

Could someone provide some support for a workaround? Im somewhat baffled as to why its still getting an error because that ScriptEarthy1936.lua should have been replaced in the shuffle with the original ones included in the download.

Anyway, is there anyone who could infer how to remove whatever line in the .lua that is 'adding the Unit_infantry' and subsequently causing the crash?

edit:

I had a brainwave and started messing around with modgame settings, and it appears that this particular error has a high correlation with the disabling of 'restrict AI embarkation.'

After my last game as Germany i had noticed how Japan folded quite quickly to china and how the UK never sent units to invade france or norway (as i noticed in the LUA is part of their imperative if the UK isn't under attack itself) so i tried subsequent games of disabling the AI embarkation, and i guess that might have been about when these errors started. Anyway, i cannot say definitively but i've started 3 games with the AI Embarkation restriction and all have made it past turn1 without the CTD Unit_Infantry error.

hmmmm

Gedemon do you think me placing (via world builder) infantry units for minors could be causing this? because I only added unit_infantry (I think) via the world builder everything else was placed by your lua, so that may make since...

Infantry embarking on lake at start of game was a cause of crash on the Europe map. I have absolutly no ideas on the "why ?", but moving those starting units away from the lake had fixed it.

seems to be confirmed by ilshur's report if disabling AI embarkation fix it...

i'd be very keen to figure out a patchwork workaround to fix the first turn crash of embarking units, if that is indeed what the <UNIT_INFANTRY already exists> crash is, because it's seriously hampering Japan's ability to crush china early (AI on AI) or USA's real effort to invade Europe after turn 180

Well done it's definitely more stable, I have yet to see a UK convoy crash, I still get crashes with soviet convoys to Mourmansk however.

Alright so a few more points to add:

The convoy crash notwithstanding, this mod needs a good amount of other statistical work.

Airpower ranges need to be modified. As a general rule of thumb, all stats havingj to do with tile range should be halved, at a minimum. The fact that fighters in London intercept things off the coast or norway, upper upper scotland, and southern france basically neutralizes German airpower.

Germany's unit cap is too low. Some special rule needs to increase it by 25-50%, because building up a proper military prior to occing poland is difficult.

UK and France's economy is way too strong. That they are pulling in 500-700 gold/turn makes it so that they can mass purchase units (and this AI does this, even if they don't use them very effectively) in 1939 and onward. A solution i would offer for this is: Colonies cannot build banks, and do not have trade routes. As an alternative, once or twice a year, every colony sends gold/material to the home country.

Without getting into the weeds, i know that the LUA governs some of the AI's behavior, and broadly, it does a decent job, but certian things get neglected:

1) UK doesn't defend egypt, and egypt gets rolled in 1940 or at the absolute latest by 1941 by Italy every time. On the last 3 germany games, i never even bothered with Egypt.
2) France doesn't defend Paris. It parks a ton of units near strassburg, but Paris and upper france are otherwise poorly defended. After crushing the low countries, France falls incredibly easily to 2 or 3 single armored units and some bombing On the upside, they do a good job of defending strassburg along the maginot line, but already knowing the effective playbook of history kind of defeats the point.
3)The embarked units crash. THis needs to be fixed, because America and England hoard units and don't seem to ever deploy them overseas. 3 games i've made it to 1944 before i got bored, and in none of them had i seen American invading europe, africa, or anywhere in asia or polynesia. This is balanced somewhat by Japan not embarking anything, and just stockpiling artillery armor and infantry on the home islands, while China rolls through Manchuria and korea by 1939 or 1940.

Russia does a decent job in general, but they still get crushed by a determined human player.

But if one thing gets fixed, fix the airpower tilerange.

Alright so a few more points to add:

The convoy crash notwithstanding, this mod needs a good amount of other statistical work.

Airpower ranges need to be modified. As a general rule of thumb, all stats havingj to do with tile range should be halved, at a minimum. The fact that fighters in London intercept things off the coast or norway, upper upper scotland, and southern france basically neutralizes German airpower.

Germany's unit cap is too low. Some special rule needs to increase it by 25-50%, because building up a proper military prior to occing poland is difficult.

UK and France's economy is way too strong. That they are pulling in 500-700 gold/turn makes it so that they can mass purchase units (and this AI does this, even if they don't use them very effectively) in 1939 and onward. A solution i would offer for this is: Colonies cannot build banks, and do not have trade routes. As an alternative, once or twice a year, every colony sends gold/material to the home country.

Without getting into the weeds, i know that the LUA governs some of the AI's behavior, and broadly, it does a decent job, but certian things get neglected:

1) UK doesn't defend egypt, and egypt gets rolled in 1940 or at the absolute latest by 1941 by Italy every time. On the last 3 germany games, i never even bothered with Egypt.
2) France doesn't defend Paris. It parks a ton of units near strassburg, but Paris and upper france are otherwise poorly defended. After crushing the low countries, France falls incredibly easily to 2 or 3 single armored units and some bombing On the upside, they do a good job of defending strassburg along the maginot line, but already knowing the effective playbook of history kind of defeats the point.
3)The embarked units crash. THis needs to be fixed, because America and England hoard units and don't seem to ever deploy them overseas. 3 games i've made it to 1944 before i got bored, and in none of them had i seen American invading europe, africa, or anywhere in asia or polynesia. This is balanced somewhat by Japan not embarking anything, and just stockpiling artillery armor and infantry on the home islands, while China rolls through Manchuria and korea by 1939 or 1940.

Russia does a decent job in general, but they still get crushed by a determined human player.

But if one thing gets fixed, fix the airpower tilerange.

I agree on changing the ranges, I will for sure do that. I also can increase the unit limit (this was originally intended because the AI can spam them really easily). And I havn't gotten around to it yet but I plan on checking to the units that are near lakes to see if that fixes the issue with embarkation.

And I can look into the balance issues, thanks very much for the help its hard to test with so many turns to cycle through especially on this very large map. I can make a lot of balances to counter what you described but a lot of things are too hard to control that far into the game as you can imagine.

On your first point it's precisely what happened: Germany had to annex/invade a good chunk of countries before it was really a military power, and even so, most of its troops until 1941 were still infantry. Building a lot of infantry isn't that hard as a player. As for the computer it buys/produces ridiculous hordes of Panzers as it is :D

On your second point, though I agree that UK and France might be a little too rich (in the French case, it should have less money than the UK, but in 1938 the industrial power was really skyrocketing as the number of tanks, planes and other military equipements produced until june 1940 demonstrate), they were far richer than Germany in 1936, despite the Great depression, and gained a lot of money from trade with some of their colonies (mostly in the UK case, as India wasn't the only rich colony, but Algeria was considered by the UN as the 15th richest nation of the world in 1950, appart from the gas and oil, there was some non negligible industry in the north of the country) or other trade partners. Despite 4 years of large scale pillaging by the Nazis, France recovered rather well (and quicker than the UK, for many reasons) so it's not unrealistic to have both countries with a good economy, including in their major colonies (India, Algeria, namely, maybe other places too).

[Edit]On your USSR comment, well it's not unreasonable to assume than Germany could have crushed USSR. We are lucky it didn't, but if the German generals and nazi leaders hadn't had dellusions about Blitzkrieg and racial superiority, a slower paced, militarily more sound campaign might have seen them success were France also failed in the 19th century. It should become increasingly harder with lend lease and most of the world at war against the Axis, of course.

Top Bottom