Sci/Tax/Lux rates 1700

Kev

Hired Goon
OK, while we have 2 unhappy citizens in Athenae and one in Potopolia, I don't think that should constitute luxuries as of yet. Entertainers are doing the trick for now without any difficulties.

That being said, here are the Sci/Tax splits.

50/50 = 5 Turns and 240 gold
60/40 = 4 Turns and 183 gold
70/30 = 4 Turns and 133 gold
80/20 = 3 turns and 81 gold

I'm a bit disappointed given that there is not a huge difference even with the university and Newton's University in THDP. I thought maybe 70/30 would give us techs in 3 turns. Oh well.

Given the mix, I see no reason to change from 60/40. Still a lot to be rushed. Since I rushed a bunch of freight and a few aqueducts (for celebrating later), our treasury is at 484 right now. Not poor, but we'll need some cash if we'd like to go for more wonders and use our spies to their fullest.

Any other thoughts?

I agree with staying as we are, if only to put ourselves in the right position for celebration. We should get Electricity very soon and this will increase the distance between our science and others'. Once we can celebrate THDP beyond size 12 then the science will be below 1 per 3 turns. We are getting toward the level of tech at which the SSC will need some support from other cities. A university at Olympia and at Athenae would be useful in the near future. :)

Interesting situation we've got here. At the moment it's quite important to keep a good eye on the financial situation. If all the rushing is taking a heavy toll on the financial situation you might want to consider elevating taxes and to settle for a somewhat slower progress in science. Science is of course very important but we don't want to lose cities because we can't rush a military unit now do we?
So stay at 60/40 unless the cash is flying out too fast, then switch to 70/30 for a while. You can always change back and when universities in Athenae and Olympia are ready and population grows because of celebrating the science will go faster again anyway.

I'm inclined to agree with the 60/40, but I will monitor the rates and change it should 60/40 change over to 5 turns per tech or something like that.

I agree to stay at 60/40 for now. Monitoring the tech/turn level is a good thought Kev. Seems to me we put off building a few libraries here and there for other things. Where are with libraries? A handful placed in trade-rich cities might be enough to bump up the tech/turn, and won't cost us any support with Adam Smiths like a University will.

60/40.

But, IIRC how science works, two different levels that say 4 turns is not the same amount of science.

Example: Say we need 100 beakers to get to the next level of tech. 60% gives us 25 beakers a turn, so 4 turns per tech. 70 % gives us 30 beakers, so still 4 turns per tech. But, the excess tech is carried to the next turn. So, in this case, the next tech would start with 20 beakers already done, right? I'll look at it when I get home, but that's how I remember it.....:crazyeye:

Originally posted by duke o' york
Yeah, this is exactly how it works.
But I'm quite happy with the extra cash, and it won't make so much difference - an extra tech every 5 turns or so - so we shouldn't worry too much. :)

Agreed. I just wanted to make sure everyone knew how the science works. So, even though it says 4 turns for two different rates, it does have a difference. :)

Top Bottom