Screaming into the Void

I never played the latest revisions cause I’d heard they’re unstable. But I’m fine with the tech tree I’ve been playing with!

I went back to my Bactria game. This time I survived the Saka but holy crap the Kushan barbarians are ridiculous! Stacks every other turn practically, and my cav are so inferior...

I just remembered! You can use your spies to either persuade the barbarians to join your army or to leave your lands, spending some gold. Just move your spy on top of the barbarian units and you will see the option! Some times they get angry and they kill your spy though, be careful!

To be honest with you, no I don't like the latest ...

This is why I am playing an older version! I think you can downgrade your version via SVN if you want
WHich version are you playing?

I just remembered! You can use your spies to either persuade the barbarians to join your army or to leave your lands, spending some gold. Just move your spy on top of the barbarian units and you will see the option! Some times they get angry and they kill your spy though, be careful!

Thanks for that!

I’ve reached the 400s in my Bactria game now :crazyeye:

Highlights so far:

-Wacky shenanigans with tribal/horde nations spawning, declaring war on me, and then instantly collapsing only to respawn with stacks twenty years later

-Egypt withstanding the test of time, even coming to a draw when the Sassanids DOWed on them for Syria

-Egypt nearly winning a Cultural Victory :eek: which I only stopped by making myself win Cultural Victory instead!

-Vassalizing the Tocharians and Gupta Empire and propping up the former over and over, which paid off when they built all of the Confucian Wonders

So yeah, it’s been fun!

WHich version are you playing?

Can’t say for them, but I’m playing 1.0

Thanks for that!

I’ve reached the 400s in my Bactria game now :crazyeye:

Highlights so far:

-Wacky shenanigans with tribal/horde nations spawning, declaring war on me, and then instantly collapsing only to respawn with stacks twenty years later

-Egypt withstanding the test of time, even coming to a draw when the Sassanids DOWed on them for Syria

-Egypt nearly winning a Cultural Victory :eek: which I only stopped by making myself win Cultural Victory instead!

-Vassalizing the Tocharians and Gupta Empire and propping up the former over and over, which paid off when they built all of the Confucian Wonders

So yeah, it’s been fun!

Can’t say for them, but I’m playing 1.0

Nice work!!! Vassalizing is a good strategy, they make a difference both during wartime and peaceful-times. I usually chose the Han and the Saba as trade partners, to help me with their goods, and I pick any vassals I can.

I most certainly don't play V1.0. It's a version between 271 and 280 if I am not mistaken. I can't see which one though

I think 268 was the last one before tech tree changes.

Nice work!!! Vassalizing is a good strategy, they make a difference both during wartime and peaceful-times. I usually chose the Han and the Saba as trade partners, to help me with their goods, and I pick any vassals I can.

Thanks! Yeah, they help me with things like resources and military strength. One thing I’ve done is gift my outdated armies to them, that way I technically keep them without upkeep :cool:

I need every bit of army I can get, the Sassanids conquered their way across India, conquered Turpan, and then when Rouran spawned and DOWed on them the Sassanids conquered central China! They’re terrifying!

I most certainly don't play V1.0. It's a version between 271 and 280 if I am not mistaken. I can't see which one though

What’re the biggest differences between your version and 1.0 besides the tech tree if you know?

Classical world was one of my favourite mods, so I'm glad that there is a chance of continuing it.
But let be honest, this mod was terribly unbalanced at it most base level and full of questionable choices. So my first inclination would be to fix that instead of adding new civs. I mean you have wonky economy, units roster that needs serious adjustment and civics to fix.

Classical world was one of my favourite mods, so I'm glad that there is a chance of continuing it.
But let be honest, this mod was terribly unbalanced at it most base level and full of questionable choices. So my first inclination would be to fix that instead of adding new civs. I mean you have wonky economy, units roster that needs serious adjustment and civics to fix.

I would definitely agree about the economy. What are the most blatant issues with the units and civics?

My foremost issue with the civics is that it seems like you must run Empire and Bureaucracy to expand outside of your Core much at all.

The stability system, while innovative when it was introduced, is also pretty inflexible and not really all that well balanced.

Expand on this, I’m curious!

I don't quite remember because it's been a while since I've played but one thing I specifically remember not being all that great is how not completely controlling your core automatically giving -4 stability, regardless of how much of your core you control/don't control and anything else.

I don't quite remember because it's been a while since I've played but one thing I specifically remember not being all that great is how not completely controlling your core automatically giving -4 stability, regardless of how much of your core you control/don't control and anything else.

Yep, when a rival civ controlled at least one city in your core you were getting -4 I believe. I was OK with that to be honest, it was adding a cause to fight for your core

Good news someone is at last interested in reviving this mod, I'm looking forward to playing (and testing) this again.

Yep, when a rival civ controlled at least one city in your core you were getting -4 I believe. I was OK with that to be honest, it was adding a cause to fight for your core

Problem I always had with the stability system was the reinforcing nature of some of the penalties. For example when you were stable you got a +1 bonus to happiness. Great, right? But when you went unstable you lost that bonus, and thus got a stability penalty from unhappiness, making it near impossible to get back to stability.

In general it seemed that, if you ever went unstable, only a Golden Age would be enough to bring you back to stability, which was a bit broken imo.

What is the new tech tree like?

If it’s bad and it’s better to go back to the old tree, I’d suggest that it needs some major changes too. For one thing, the endgame techs need major revision and balance so you can’t finish the tech tree centuries early!

Long time, no see!

After a really heavy period for me, working on a full-time job and studying part-time for a Master's degree, I finally have the time to start writing some code :D

Good news are that I am able to compile the DLL, so I just need to get familiar with the source code and to see what each file does.

My primary intentions are:
a) Add a Germanic civ - because I think the game will benefit from it
b) Fix inflation - by lowering penalties, and adding mid-game and end-game buildings that increase wealth.
c) Update the map - I want to make some regions of the map more appealing (eg. modern day Britain, Germany, Poland, Kazakhstan, Mongolia etc)

Future additions:
d) Add a Nomadic confederation civ - where at the start of the game the player will be able to chose to play either as Scythians, or as Sarmatians, or as Massagetae
e) Add Hellenic city-states civ - a coalition of Athens, Sparta, Rhodes and Ambracia (to make the experience of playing as a successor, harder)

I will probably create a new thread to let you know about my progress, and to continue the discussion there!

Glad to see someone working on RFC Classical world.
I think this means nearly all the main RFC mods are being actively worked on; DOC, RFCE, RFCGW, and now this one.

Wow, that’s fantastic news! I’ve been back into playing the mod again after playing DoC more for a while, so I’m excited for this!

I’d actually love it if you added more than one Germanic civ—the Burgundii and Saxons could both at least be Armenia or Pontus-level civilizations.

And actually a third “barbarian” civ could fit within the end-date of the game—the Bulgarians!

Hellenic city states could be awesome too! As long as stability for being a civilization not in Empire + Bureaucracy is changed to actually be viable :mischief:

Also, any chance AI behavior gets tweaked later on? I’m miffed that AI Baktria never invades India properly...EDIT: but I think that’s just because they always collapse to the Saka before their scripted event to do so, lol

Last edited:
Top Bottom