Spoiler Screenshot 2 :

Spoiler Screenshot 3 :

Analyse away!

Edit:

Full resolution screenshots of the above:
Spoiler Screenshot 1 :

Spoiler Screenshot 2 :

Spoiler Screenshot 3 :

Are they really going to pull off a Civ:Rev look for a new entry in the main Civilization series?
Really?

They're beautiful...

...but...

...if I wanna see pretty trees and stuff, I go outside. I'm the kind of guy that isn't impressed by special effects in movies- tell me a good story, Mr. Director. And awesome graphics are great- but give me fantastic gameplay, Mr. Designer.

Picture #1 has two ship-of-the-line -warships., one europan style, one asian.
Also the Egyptian archers look very.. egyptian.

I suppose there's going to be ethnic graphics for some of the units, nice! :)

I liked how in Civ V the units were represented by 10-12 soldiers, now we have only 4.

Also there seems to be missionary units. So base game is probably shipping with religion. :)

I'm not a fan of the color pallette. It seems like a simplistic overreaction to the blandness of Beyond Earth

Some of the city improvements seem to be sitting ON the tiles themselves. Not talking about how Civ 4 cities sometimes get so big that the improvements and world wonders appear on surrounding tiles. These improvements actually look like they're built on the tile themselves.

This is really disappointing. These look cartoony, and literally worse than the Civ V graphics, not just in style but purely in terms of quality of rendering. Am I missing something?

One of my biggest hopes for this game was that the world itself would look more...worldly - something you could zoom out and get a great sense of an *Earth*, like you do in EUIV or something. This looks like the opposite of that. I especially hate the hard corners on the borders, like CIV BE has - just looks terrible.

I don't want to be negative, but after years of waiting...this is disappointing.

Yeah, agreed about the color scheme; looks a bit too cartoon-y. Here's hoping they'll tone it down a bit for the actual release.

Otherwise, looks like they're currently using the same colors as Civ V for Egypt (Screen 2) and Japan (Screens 1 and 3). However, any thoughts on who the white and blue nation in Screen 2 is? Maybe Greece?

Are they really going to pull off a Civ:Rev look for a new entry in the main Civilization series?
Really?
Yeah, not a fan either. Cartoony is a decent direction that allows the game to run on a lot of hardware - and Endless Legend and XCOM have shown that it can look good.

Here? It looks cheap and totally doesn't match the vibe the trailer gives. Not a fan, to be honest. :( The cities are looking good though, it's mostly the over-saturated terrain that washes out all detail... but not sure how much it will change, given there's only half a year left in development.

Yeah, agreed about the color scheme; looks a bit too cartoon-y. Here's hoping they'll tone it down a bit for the actual release.

Otherwise, looks like they're currently using the same colors as Civ V for Egypt (Screen 2) and Japan (Screens 1 and 3). However, any thoughts on who the white and blue nation in Screen 2 is? Maybe Greece?

Looks similar to Portugal's colors in Civ 5

It's not even the art direction - just the actual quality of the rendering seems awful. The first previews we got of Civ V back in 2010 looked way better.

This looks like a game made in 2006 or something - it just looks like bad quality. Or maybe I'm missing some subtleties.

Some of the city improvements seem to be sitting ON the tiles themselves. Not talking about how Civ 4 cities sometimes get so big that the improvements and world wonders appear on surrounding tiles. These improvements actually look like they're built on the tile themselves.

Some articles say that your city buildings are built on the tiles around you city, and that includes Wonders.

Got Pyramids, The Great Lighthouse and The Colossus there it seams

This is really disappointing. These look cartoony, and literally worse than the Civ V graphics, not just in style but purely in terms of quality of rendering. Am I missing something?
I don't mean to be rude, but you're probably missing actual knowledge of your average graphics rendering engine.

Style is always up to the player in question, and so will vary massively. But to make technical estimations based on three static screenshots . . . I doubt even an industry veteran would rush to make such assumptions.

I've seen this recently with another game announcement (again with three static screenshots), so I'm just being a bit blunt in heading this off before people start accepting "the graphics are bad" as a truism without any supporting logic :p

The screenshots look crisp, there's no obvious aliasing, the actual geography looks massively improved from CiV (check out those mountains vs. how they look in CiV). We obviously don't have the full range of environmental and unit art available to us yet, so I honestly don't know why you think this is some kind of graphical downgrade.

I am hoping these graphics are just alpha.

not 100% sold on the graphic, but then they always develop before launch, and it may just be a first look reaction, but the new features sound really cool

The screenshots look crisp, there's no obvious aliasing, the actual geography looks massively improved from CiV (check out those mountains vs. how they look in CiV). We obviously don't have the full range of environmental and unit art available to us yet, so I honestly don't know why you think this is some kind of graphical downgrade.

You're not rude at all, no worries. I have no technical expertise at all. But I disagree with your description here. I don't think the geography looks better at all - I think the mountains in Civ V look better than the ones shown in this screenshot. Look at this:

I mean, I just think that looks better than the mountains in these Civ VI screenshots - that's the first google image for Civ V Mountain by the way, I didn't cherrypick.

Obviously you're free to disagree, but I'm not trying to be a downer here. It's just what struck me.

that seems to be an interesting mechanic
doesn't civ be has a similar mechanic ?
are they bringing the mechanic were a caravan could help building wonders ? i really liked that from earlier civs

Top Bottom