Screenshot analysis!

Some regally insightful shots of techs and policies in Marvozir's latest. Looks like all routes turn into railroads when you research railroads. And the chivalry policy suggests there are both light and heavy cav in the medieval renaissance and industrial eras. Detailed info about the two different museums. Some interesting colony-focused policies. On a tablet so I can't take screenshots.

I went through the video yesterday pretty carefully and I didn't see anything relating to railroads, do you have a timestamp?

Or are you extrapolating from the way ancient roads upgrade automatically to medieval roads? That would be logical, but there may be another as yet unrevealed method.

On upgrading to railroads:
I would find it okay if the same principle applies as for your first ancient roads.
When you research railroads nothing happens immediately. But each new trade route you assign now creates railroads on its path when there are none. Additionally, the military engineer can now construct railroads to whereever.

So the change isn't istantanious but there is not so much micromanagement since traderoutes build rails automaticly.

Would like to learn more about the colonial policies.

Colonial Offices gives you gold for each city on foreign continents. Native Conquest gives you gold for defeating units from previous eras. It was in Marb's last video.

I would find it okay if the same principle applies as for your first ancient roads.
When you research railroads nothing happens immediately. But each new trade route you assign now creates railroads on its path when there are none. Additionally, the military engineer can now construct railroads to whereever.

So the change isn't istantanious but there is not so much micromanagement since traderoutes build rails automaticly.

That is the way I would like it as well, so that you have mere dirt roads in your empire's backwaters and rail in the primary parts.

That is the way I would like it as well, so that you have mere dirt roads in your empire's backwaters and rail in the primary parts.

That would be Perfect.

If all roads are instantly upgraded it would be overpowered an unrealistic.
Building Railroads was some of the most expensive, prestigious and important Projects in the industrial era. It should be expensive and they should be important for the military and for wielding influence throughout the world.....

That is another way that would work better than just insta-upgrade. Or there could be a separate railroad-builder unit that works a bit like a trade unit, except it costs gold to maintain while it works but you send it from one city to another which are connected by road, and the road is then upgraded to railroad as the unit moves along. When it comes to target city, you can send it to a new city. That would mean less micromanagement than having to do it tile-by-tile with builder/engineer, but still reflect the investment that upgrading should be.

That is another way that would work better than just insta-upgrade. Or there could be a separate railroad-builder unit that works a bit like a trade unit, except it costs gold to maintain while it works but you send it from one city to another which are connected by road, and the road is then upgraded to railroad as the unit moves along. When it comes to target city, you can send it to a new city. That would mean less micromanagement than having to do it tile-by-tile with builder/engineer, but still reflect the investment that upgrading should be.

This would be great!:goodjob:

Wouldn't an even easier answer be just to pay gold to upgrade?

I would at least want roads between my own cities instantly upgraded to railroads. Traders can upgrade roads to outside my civ as per ancient roads.

Or railroad may not require builder charges, but decrease the appeal rate of the tiles, for example.

I'm pretty sure roads and above all, railroads, will have a negative effect on the appeal as airports do. Which will be kind of a natural limit to railroads, but still cool

I'm pretty sure roads and above all, railroads, will have a negative effect on the appeal as airports do. Which will be kind of a natural limit to railroads, but still cool

But this makes sense only if you have control where to build railroads.

Wouldn't an even easier answer be just to pay gold to upgrade?
Well yes, the point with my suggestion was that it would also force you to allocate some production to actually build that unit in the cities. But I don't think it's a particularly elegant solution, personally I would just go for the (Military) Engineer to construct it, but then there's the question about micromanagement. Guess we can't have it all ways.

Well yes, the point with my suggestion was that it would also force you to allocate some production to actually build that unit in the cities. But I don't think it's a particularly elegant solution, personally I would just go for the (Military) Engineer to construct it, but then there's the question about micromanagement. Guess we can't have it all ways.

Yeah, I like your idea, but just wondering if they wouldn't rather have fewer systems if they can. The engineers doing it might be a way to go too.

Just convert roads to rails at 1 hex radius per turn from qualifying cities. To qualify, city must have either a commercial or industrial (or other appropriate) district.

I went through the video yesterday pretty carefully and I didn't see anything relating to railroads, do you have a timestamp?

Or are you extrapolating from the way ancient roads upgrade automatically to medieval roads? That would be logical, but there may be another as yet unrevealed method.

15:23

Just convert roads to rails at 1 hex radius per turn from qualifying cities. To qualify, city must have either a commercial or industrial (or other appropriate) district.
Do you think it should be free or have a gold cost? I could see that work at a gold cost. Or it could also be a production project, like there is the carnival and he prayer project. So you have a railroad project which takes X number of turns and then converts roads to railroads. Would be a good way to reduce management with units.

With builders working the way they do, roads upgrading to railroads automatically makes a lot of sense. No need to make a convoluted mess about it with construction projects or gold upgrades, this implementation is fine.

Though we don't know how military engineers work exactly just yet. There's no mention of charges on their unit description. It might've been okay to have it be a project for them, but as is seems fine to me.

I would assume that Military Engineers create Routes manually, and Traders create Routes manually, and Routes automatically upgrade to whatever the latest technology allows. So essentially, road/railroad management is more or less out of the game.

That's disappointing, but it's not a big deal, as long as you have the ability to create Routes where you need them (which Military Engineers seem to allow). It's not as if there aren't enough other systems to manange in civ 6.

Top Bottom