Selling your ressources for dirt cheap

Ogrelord

Prince
Is it my game or the AIs don't make enough gold to buy your ressources?
i would sell the extras for like 1 to 7 gold pieces. Most i ever got was like maybe 11 gold.

But when you want to buy their extra ressources, they charge you exorbitant prices, like around 30 gold. When you get to the modern age, the new ressources; musical, hits, and movies. No one has enough gold to buy them so i'm just giving them away.

-standard
-noble

Yeah, that seems to be common. They would pay more for resources, but they never have enough gold. One of the tactics here is to sell certain for 5 gold (or whatever you can get). Some time later, when you're allowed to cancel that deal and see that AI has another 3 gpt to spare, you cancel the deal and make it again, now for 8 gpt. Rinse, repeat...

I like to get gold for resources instead of only swapping them. Does swapping, say, rice for clams really give you any noticable benefits? And I never trade them my copper or horses etc.

There is a health benefit in your trade, Kieran. The more food rescources you own or trade for, the more healthier your cities become.

I will sometimes sell my spare resources for 4 or 5gpt. A few of these deals can mean the difference between running 60% or 80% science while still remaining in the green.
One must weigh the other side as well though .. those resources are enabling your AI rivals to strengthen their own empires by increasing their cities population limits.

The best way is to nickle and dime the AI by jacking up the price by 2+ gp every 10 turns.

Why is it when I trade one of my food resources for some fur (+1 gold) I don't get +1 to my wealth?

And if I trade for food and it says (requires fishing boats) does that mean i need a fishing boat after they have sent me the fish?

Kieran said:
Why is it when I trade one of my food resources for some fur (+1 gold) I don't get +1 to my wealth?

And if I trade for food and it says (requires fishing boats) does that mean i need a fishing boat after they have sent me the fish?

Maybe it goes into your research?

I know that taxes, if you set your science bar to 100%, will be completely go into research, and that gold from religion (if you have a religion) goes into your treasury.

But i think that is the same case for gold per turn from deals, not sure though.

Fur does not give you more gold. It gives your city one more happiness, so that you don't have some lazy bum sitting around complaining how the city is overcrowded.

Kieran said:

It doesn´t matter what requirements the resoruces you trade have.
If the AI (for example) trades fish, it already has used a fishing boat to get the fish out of the water. Therefore there is no need for you to have a fishing boat to use it (AFAIK you don´t even have the tech for fishing boats to use the fish you get from trades).
I think you are even able to get oil from trade even if you don´t have the necessary tech to build oil wells or offshore platforms (although you probably won´t have any use for the oil because you lack the tech to build units that require oil)

Proteus said:
It doesn´t matter what requirements the resoruces you trade have.
If the AI (for example) trades fish, it already has used a fishing boat to get the fish out of the water. Therefore there is no need for you to have a fishing boat to use it (AFAIK you don´t even have the tech for fishing boats to use the fish you get from trades).
I think you are even able to get oil from trade even if you don´t have the necessary tech to build oil wells or offshore platforms (although you probably won´t have any use for the oil because you lack the tech to build units that require oil)
That's right. It's responsibility of the seller to extract the resource. You're getting it ready to be used, so you don't need to know how extraction technology.

Top Bottom