Settlement

What's going on in the last picture? Did you include the name of the city in the .flc file?

Zubareva, I like your city units very much! :clap::goodjob: Especially the unit shown in the last screenshot.

In my eyes we need a lot more of city units for all kinds of eras in Civ 3 (long ago Ekmek made some city units). These city units have a lot of potential for modding Civ 3 on fixed maps, especially when used with transparent city graphics (in my first posts at CFC I called this setting "invisible cities") and so it is also possible to give cities an animation.

so it is also possible to give cities an animation.

Yes! I've been promoting this for some time. Suggestions for default flc:

Era 1 Campfire Smoke (Tom2050 made a useful little file for this that you can find >here< )

Era 2 Smoke from chimneys (slightly larger smoke than 1st era)

Era 3 Smoke from Smokestacks (again, larger smoke than 2nd era), Gaslight

Era 4 Blinking lights, electric light

Also available: Tom2050's Prop Units

In the Modern era, you could add one of Vuldacon's Billboards, or Tom2050's 70" Widescreen TV

but I digress..

The best use for something like this might be for nomadic civs: I could imagine a Camp unit with settler ability. It would have more defense than other units so that it would always be 'on top' in a stack. The run animation might be a Wagon, and the default could be circled wagons,or tents. Armies could also have a "camp" wagon, as they often actually did. Of course, Bedouins would use camels & tents, spaceships would become space stations, etc.

Obviously, there is a lot of promise in this concept, so I'm just throwing out ideas to kick around.

What's going on in the last picture? Did you include the name of the city in the .flc file?

Yes, exactly. I want the opening of the ancient era to be more than walking your settlers around and planting them.

There should be obstacles.

For Rome, the Etruscan Kingdom blocking the north. And some Greek Allied City States blocking an easy Southern expansion.

In the Screen Shot that scenerio has Etruscan Kingdom as Greek Allied. (Of course each city will have its own name :))

Zubareva
Have you tried the stairs replace gray to white? This building.

Yes, exactly. I want the opening of the ancient era to be more than walking your settlers around and planting them.

There should be obstacles.

For Rome, the Etruscan Kingdom blocking the north. And some Greek Allied City States blocking an easy Southern expansion.

In the Screen Shot that scenerio has Etruscan Kingdom as Greek Allied. (Of course each city will have its own name :))

Could make a generic version just called "Barbarian Village"? That would be easy to use and usefull. :)

Yes! I've been promoting this for some time. Suggestions for default flc:

Era 1 Campfire Smoke (Tom2050 made a useful little file for this that you can find >here< )

Era 2 Smoke from chimneys (slightly larger smoke than 1st era)

Era 3 Smoke from Smokestacks (again, larger smoke than 2nd era), Gaslight

Era 4 Blinking lights, electric light

Also available: Tom2050's Prop Units

In the Modern era, you could add one of Vuldacon's Billboards, or Tom2050's 70" Widescreen TV

but I digress..

The best use for something like this might be for nomadic civs: I could imagine a Camp unit with settler ability. It would have more defense than other units so that it would always be 'on top' in a stack. The run animation might be a Wagon, and the default could be circled wagons,or tents. Armies could also have a "camp" wagon, as they often actually did. Of course, Bedouins would use camels & tents, spaceships would become space stations, etc.

Obviously, there is a lot of promise in this concept, so I'm just throwing out ideas to kick around.

^ what he said. :goodjob: this concept is rather interesting, though can become a bit daunting when considering the number of city graphics that could be translated into units. but dont let that stop you. have fun with it. ;)

A couple of early playtesting hints.

1. Check these city units as NOT requiring support. Or the Computer will kill them due to lack of funds. :p

2. The computer has no problems with using them as artillery, toggle defence unit, and artillery with a zone of control. Lethal bombard.

Sorry if my last post was too much; it's only because this is such a nice unit idea. I was inspired.

I think all that is great thinking. You never know where the "Next big idea" will come from. Brainstorming is greatly encouraged!

Originally Posted by Balthasar
Sorry if my last post was too much; it's only because this is such a nice unit idea. I was inspired.

wasn't saying they weren't good ideas (though the tv's a bit of a stretch for a reg civ city, like the billboards though) juts wanted to agree with them.

I think all that is great thinking. You never know where the "Next big idea" will come from. Brainstorming is greatly encouraged!

:goodjob:

keep working and we'll help you, improvement and progression are one eternal round.

Yes indeed, City Units can be used very well in Scenarios and offer what would otherwise not be possible :goodjob:
Modesty shouldn't prevent seeing the exemplar of "barbarian" city units.

Zubareva: your terrain work plus this thread prompts the idea of combining forest/jungle with animal units to make "static" obstacles. Having the default or fortify with the animal invisible could create quite a surprise.

Hmmm. First of all, this is a fantastic idea.

Also, we could use similar units for covering colonies so that the trade there is available and it can also be 'captured' and marked for human players to occupy a harbour and then go for the resource.

We can also use this for suburbs, to create the image of a large metropolis.

New ani added to city settlement unit.

Fire and water is difficult, but it looks pretty good.

Zubareva, this unit is getting better and better! :clap:

What kind of letters did you use for the city name in your unit?

type of letters???

I use block lettering 5/6 high and 3 horizontal except for wide letters. That matches close to the games lettering system.

And thanks!

type of letters???

I use block lettering 5 high and 3 horizontal except for wide letters. That matches close to the games lettering system.

Thank you very much for the answer.:) I asked because I have the same opinion that these letters are matching close to the games lettering system.

Top Bottom