Settler maps

srpt

Deist
Please submit settler maps for your favorite civs!

do it this way:

load the mod, doesn't matter which civ you play, enter world builder and select "landmark mode" in the top right

label the tiles where you want the AI to settle, 500 for a capital or major objective city, 90-400 for other city sites and 20 for the tiles in between them, example below.

then save the WBS, name it and post it.

List of maps that have been done

Spoiler :
Mauryans
Numidia
Sakas
NanYue

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0575.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0575.JPG
    270.4 KB · Views: 1,037
What does the weighting mean, exactly? Obviously 500 to 700 means that the civ will try to settle it as soon as possible, 300 to 500 means that it will also be settled fairly often, but how often will a civ settle a city spot that is 20, 50, 100, or 200?

I can't find an explanation of exactly what the numbers mean. just use examples from vanilla RFC or DoC but not SoI, those numbers are different.

after having done a couple of maps I think it easier to just label the major city sites in the WBS and leave the connecting tiles. I think anything under 90 doesn't matter.

I think it would be good if everywhere they historically controlled (except for insettleable spots, obviously) was possible for the AI to settle, just like in base RFC (though important cities would have a much higher number). That would probably require you to raise the threshold for sharing tiles for the AI so they don't spam really bad cities everywhere.

I've created settler maps for the Celts and Dacians.

The Celts' major cities to settle are Lutetia, Bibracte, Lugudunum, Aqaue Granni, Massilia, Burdigalia, Tolosa, Portus Namnetum, Gesoriacum, Argentorate, Castrum Regina, Londininum, Isca Dumnoniarum, Eburacum, Toledo, Saguntum, Ollisipo, Mediolanum, Aquileia, Vindobana, and Singidunum. Not all of these are major cities, but together they do fill up the space that the Celts occupied quite well. I also filled in all the other spaces there; they settle Gaul first; then Britannia, most of Iberia, northern Italy, Raetia, and Noricum; then Galicia, Vettonia, Illyria, and Bohemia, and very rarely Thrace, Caledonia, and Hibernia.

The Dacians' major cities are Sarmizegutusa, Patavissa, Singidunum, Vindobana, Ramidava, Prioboridava, Patridava, Tyras, Olbia, Hadrianopolis, and Pella. Again, this fills up their area quite well. In terms of the space in between, the Carpathian Basin is weighted the most highly, lowering as it spreads out in all directions. Dacia should also be expanded to the Tyras/Dneister River, as they settle there a lot now in it was traditionally considered part of Dacia, not Sarmatia.

Attachments

• Settler Maps.txt
    89 KB · Views: 182
Here's a settler map for the Antigonids. It's not terribly different from the previous one in that they are still focused around Greece, Anatolia, and Syria, but misplaced city spots have been fixed and they no longer focus so much on Mesopotamia (though this would have been largely ascetic anyway). Caesarea has also been added as a major city for them to settle.

Also, what do you think of the Dacian settler map I posted earlier (above)? With that, they would settle in Dacia more and focus less on Illyria and other areas they never solidly controlled.

Attachments

• Settler Maps.txt
    44.5 KB · Views: 128
I can't find an explanation of exactly what the numbers mean. just use examples from vanilla RFC or DoC but not SoI, those numbers are different.

after having done a couple of maps I think it easier to just label the major city sites in the WBS and leave the connecting tiles. I think anything under 90 doesn't matter.

Just seen this one now, but thought it might be useful to have Rhye's explanation of the numbers from the vanilla RFC maps:

3 - FORBIDDEN: this civ should never found a city here
20 - NO DATA: this region has nothing to do with the civ, so it's bad to found here
40 - territory in which settling wouldn't be bad, but the presence of another civ is more important here
60 - possible unhistorical expansion
90 - territory in which settling would be good, but there is some problem (it would steal plot to another civ)
150 - limit territories of historical expansion (sometimes without city name)
200 - limit territories of historical expansion (sometimes without city name)
300 - territory of historical expansion
400 - surrounding of core territory
500 - core territory
700 - very important plots that should always be founded if possible

In general I think the AI will settle under 90, but only if there are only these plots left, and only if the AI can find no other priorities. If it sees a tile with 400+ then it will immediately build a settler to found it, for 100-400 it will build a settler once its cities have basic infrastructure, but less than 100 it would never found unless it had built all possible improvements, had an army stronger than any rivals, and had no real option to build other than to expand.

So in practice most cities under 90 never get founded, but you can only be certain a civ will never found a city if you put 3. In fact, Rhye's vanilla map for Rome (for example) features numbers 40, 60 and 90 in North America, so we could assume that means that the AI would potentially have settled those after discovering Astronomy, although AI Rome would be unlikely to live that long and have the opportunity.

Here are settler maps for the Seleucids and Ptolemies. The Seleucid settler map isn't very different in that they still focus largely on Syria and Mesopotamia, and to a lesser extent the rest of their vast empire. Most of their major cities are still the same, except that Apostona (the port in Persia) and Doura (in NW Mesopotamia) have been added to fill in some of the more glaring empty space. the Ptolemaic settler map isn't very different either, but high plots in places that made no sense (e.g. Charax Spasinou, Olbia) have been removed, and they now settle all of Egypt, Cyrenaica, the coastal Levant, and most of the coasts and coastal cities of the Eastern Mediterranean. Knossos, Syene, Ammonium, and Ardanis Portus have also been added as Ptolemaic major cities; I've suggested some stuff in the main thread to make them somewhat more viable cities.

Attachments

• Settler Maps.txt
    89 KB · Views: 157
I've redone the settler map for the Dacians so that they focus more on Dacia proper and the areas north of the Danube rather than the current more peripheral areas. They now mainly settle Sarmizegetusa, Porolissum, Angustia, Malva, Aquincum, Singidunum, Polondava, Tyras, and Clepidava, eventually extending to Serdica, Tomis, Hadrianopolis, Byzantion, and Pella if they have the time and resources. Sarmizegetusa has been moved 1S to a more historically accurate location south of the river as well as to make room for cities in Northern Dacia; its original tile has been renamed in my changed CNM, so you might want to change its spawning location. You also might want to add some more resources here and there to buff these new cities, especially in Northern Dacia, for Serdica, and along the Tyras/Dniester river, and to a lesser extent in Northern Thrace and Moesia.

Attachments

• Settler Maps.txt
    44.2 KB · Views: 122
I've created a new Antigonid settler map, which is basically the older one I posted changed to fit the new map.

Also, have you taken a look at the Dacian settler map I posted earlier?

Attachments

• Settler Maps.txt
    44.5 KB · Views: 126
Top Bottom