SGOTM 03 - Geezers

true, but we always knew production there would be horrible without those forests until we got Univ Suffrage so that we get hammers from the mass towns we'll put around it.

Luckily Moscow, Coppertownsky, New Novgorod, and Lodestone City should all have at least decent production, enough so that SP and our other main science city should be fine building stuff slowly

The map's changed a bit since I last saw it. Nice expansion DynamicSpirit. :goodjob: BlockGhandi city is where the sign is?

Thanks! And yep - up to you whether you settle there immediately or wait until the workers have mined the gems (or until an Indian galley turns up :crazyeye: ). Until they have mined it, the city will be next to useless, other than it'll be giving one hammer/turn towards its obelisk.

Provisionally I think the idea is to build a galley in Moscow probably followed by an axe since it's production is higher than Coppertownski. Coppertownski obviously builds axes. I want to think a bit further about SP. I think it's building a library which will take ages.

Yeah, the reason I set it to library is coz it now has no production so anything will take ages, so I thought it's probably best to leave it now to start producing the stuff that can't be built anywhere else. It was a toss-up between library and lighthouse, and I thought library would make you and Thrallia happy :mischief: . We'll get no production out of St. P but we'll get a lot of science once its bigger and more of its tiles are cottaged and the spices are plantationed (or whatever the verb is).

Militarily I'll drop off the chariot in Lodestone and then send the galley to scout Alex's lands. I wonder if Alex actually has a coastal city?

I'm practically certain the answer is 'yes' and you'll find Athens just SE of his cows. (I was watching his cultural borders when we first found him)

I had another long day today :beer: so I won't play until tomorrow. Comments?

Enjoy your beer! :slurp: :mischief:

true, but we always knew production there would be horrible without those forests until we got Univ Suffrage so that we get hammers from the mass towns we'll put around it.

Luckily Moscow, Coppertownsky, New Novgorod, and Lodestone City should all have at least decent production, enough so that SP and our other main science city should be fine building stuff slowly

We may need to do some thinking about this at some point. Conventional wisdom (which I think is correct) says if you want high science, you have one, mebbe two, production cities and most of the rest as science cities. We currently appear to have four production cities, one science city (which is actually mostly a poprushing city and still only has one cottage), plus one science city to be founded and one awaiting a settler. That's probably OK now when we need units to expand with and defend ourselves with, but probably not the ideal long-term arrangement. :crazyeye:

well...New Novgorod has the makings of a good science city, all we've got to do is cottage up all that jungle :) Moscow can have great science too if we were to cottage it up and work the coast as well. If we really wanted just two production cities, Coppertownski could produce almost all our military and Lodestone City will have decent production too...especially if we get fishing boats on the crabs and then workshop the plains.

Summary

Our copper and iron are connected and our first axe is built. :) Alex has iron hooked up. :( Stole another worker from Alex but lost a chariot in the process. :(

Turn 0 - 550 BC
Moved the warrior guarding the settler so that I can monitor the seas for any Ghandi ships.
Turn 1- 535 BC
Moved the galley towards Lodestone. Moscow finished granary and started galley. Sent workers to build gem mines.
Turn 2 - 520 BC
Coppertownski finished barracks and started axe. Galley dropped off chariot for Lodestone and moved towards Alex's lands.
Turn 3 - 505 BC
Iron connected.
Turn 4 - 490 BC
Galley sees Alex's worker building mine on iron. :(

That's Mao's land to the south.
Turn 5 - 475 BC
Alex's iron mine finished. Parthenon built somewhere.
Turn 6 - 460 BC
Workers work, cities build.
Turn 7 - 445 BC
Coppertownski finishes axe and starts another. Lodestone finishes granary and starts workboat. Alex's worker moves to connect his stone. Decide that we could use that worker so loadup the chariot from SP. Notice Bangalore's defences have been upgraded.

Turn 8 - 430 BC
Capture Alex's worker.
IBT:
Alex attacks our chariot. Kill first archer but just fall to second (0.2/3.0) :(
Turn 9 - 415 BC
New Novogorod finishes granary and starts obelisk.
Turn 10 - 400 BC
Moscow completes galley and I start a chariot for SP. After seeing that we have only 1 turn left of unhappiness in Moscow I decide to rush it.

Alphabet still needs 7 turns @ 100%. I've set science to 0% to build up funds. I haven't founded our BlockGhandi city yet as there were no signs of incoming settlers.

Spoiler :

Turn 130, 550 BC: Novgorod has been founded.
Turn 130, 550 BC: You have constructed a Granary in Moscow. Work has now begun on a Library.
Turn 130, 550 BC: Merit Ptah has been born in a far away land!

Turn 135, 475 BC: The Parthenon has been built in a far away land!

Turn 138, 430 BC: Your Chariot has destroyed a Worker!
Turn 138, 430 BC: You have captured a Worker
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer (3.00) vs Geezers's Chariot (4.00)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Combat Odds: 26.4%
Turn 138, 430 BC: Geezers's Chariot is hit for 17 (83/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 23 (77/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 23 (54/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 23 (31/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Geezers's Chariot is hit for 17 (66/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Geezers's Chariot is hit for 17 (49/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 23 (8/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 23 (0/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Geezers's Chariot has defeated Alexander's Archer!
Turn 138, 430 BC: While defending, your Chariot has killed a Greek Archer!
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer (3.00) vs Geezers's Chariot (1.96)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Combat Odds: 97.0%
Turn 138, 430 BC: Geezers's Chariot is hit for 20 (29/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 19 (81/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 19 (62/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Geezers's Chariot is hit for 20 (9/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 19 (43/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 19 (24/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer is hit for 19 (5/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Geezers's Chariot is hit for 20 (0/100HP)
Turn 138, 430 BC: Alexander's Archer has defeated Geezers's Chariot!
Turn 138, 430 BC: While defending, your Chariot was destroyed by a Greek Archer!

Turn 139, 415 BC: You have trained a Galley in Moscow. Work has now begun on a Library.
Turn 139, 415 BC: Lodestone City will grow to size 2 on the next turn

so we'll need to send those axes that were just built at coppertownski over there to disconnect the iron asap then...we don't want Alex getting too many metallic troops.

Sting him Sam!:goodjob: A worker and dead archer is a good trade for one chariot.:) Can 2 axes take and hold the iron until a second load arrives or do we wait to land both galleys at the same time. If Alex has an axe already we could have a difficult time so my instinct tells me to send 2 axes as soon as we have them followed by axe/chariot. How many archers did Alex have remaining when we took the worker?

How many archers did Alex have remaining when we took the worker?

Unfortunately the city could not be seen by the galley. :(

EDIT:
Can 2 axes take and hold the iron until a second load arrives or do we wait to land both galleys at the same time.

I think we would want to pillage it rather than hold it. However the landing force needs to hold out for a turn in order to pillage it.

Roster :

Thrallia
Simon
Sam - just played
Dagnabit- UP
Htadus- on deck
Mark

Do you want to revert to original order, in which case Mark is up, or keep it as is? I am happy with either.

I must admit I had forgotten the roster had been changed. :blush: I suppose it's up to mark to decide.

While waiting to here from Mark here are A few suggested discussions before we proceed:

1. War with Alex: Timing, Troops
2. Research after Alpha: Research Path (near term goals), Long term
3. Tech Trading: Who with, desired techs, What to trade (how soon do we give up Alpha)
4. Empire growth: Finish Settling Moscovy Isle, Increasing research vs near term need for production, Open Borders for meeting Civs (see 3 above)

What else?

It looks very nice :goodjob:

Sorry for not being very active. We had our chistmas party from the company on Friday and we sawed our christmas tree today.:beer:

We go on with the roster Sam posted.

Thrallia
Simon
Sam - just played
Dagnabit- UP
Htadus- on deck
Mark

@Dagnabit:

1) If he is still weak, take some axes and swords and finish him off, otherwise make peace and build enough forces to take him out in one assault. The deals last only 10 turns. That is quite short and could be enough to build the necessary troops.

2+3) Depends what we can get for it. That will be a quite a good point to stop and post a save to check for everybody to see what we can get for alpha.

4) Growth is power, so if we do not have to use the hammers I would go for growth whereever we can.

While waiting to here from Mark here are A few suggested discussions before we proceed:

1. War with Alex: Timing, Troops
2. Research after Alpha: Research Path (near term goals), Long term
3. Tech Trading: Who with, desired techs, What to trade (how soon do we give up Alpha)
4. Empire growth: Finish Settling Moscovy Isle, Increasing research vs near term need for production, Open Borders for meeting Civs (see 3 above)

What else?

1. Send over a couple axes asap, then figure out what else to do based on whether he has copper, what his defenders are, etc.
2. I think Literature so we can attempt to get the Great Library, it's a huge boon to early research
3. Normally I'd say don't give it up at all, but since we WANT to increase the tech speed, perhaps give it to our preferred friends and hope that we can stay friendly with them forever.
4. I'd say found both of our last Muskovy Isle cities as soon as Alphabet is finished, then we can get OB with our friends(India, Vicky, and Julius for now) and explore some more, hopefully meeting lots of interesting people to subjugate diplomatically...oh yeah, we might want to look to help Toku or Izzy get huge so s/he can be our diplo opponent ;) Always helps to have a universally hated opponent.

I will down load the save in a couple hours after some "honey dos";) . Can play this evening or wait for 24hrs. If you think we need more discussion. I am pretty clear on our plan until Alpha comes in. I will stop and post if something out of the ordinary pops up before then.
Plan so far:
1 Troops to go Christmas Caroling at Alex's house
2 Get the Empire Growing-settlers a' settlin,workers a' workin!
3 Borders closed tight until our settlers are tucked in their Beds for a long winter's nite!:D

I have down loaded the save. No input for awhile :( so I am off to the races in a couple hours. (Still time for input:) )

I think we're pretty much agreed on what we're doing for the next 10 turns. Can't see any major strategic decisions in that time, just lots of micromanaging :)

Looking at the save, I'd be inclined to set St. P to use the 2nd cottage as soon as it's completed, and New Novgorod and BlockGandhi City probably need to be able to work the rice asap. (or the cows for New Novgorod).

btw if you want a relatively safe landing in Alex's territory, you could always set down in the jungle so you have a defensive bonus when you arrive. Then if the landing party includes a chariot, it can still move and pillage the iron next turn, if it's safe to do so.

Looking ahead, we badly need some more happiness resources. I hope Alex has some for us :)

Things going OK. Alex's iron is ours. We have 2 axes on his turf with 2 more in galley on the way. 3 Archers and a lot of defensive bonus next door may slow progress until more troops arrive. Think we need another galley soon even if we slowly advance on Alex. Gandhi Block is settled working gems and will take a looooong time to expand. (Currently producing obelisk) Alpha is in and we can pick up most of the early techs if we trade Alpha to our three Eastern neighbors. I am inclined to do so. Tech is now headed towards Literature as suggested by Thrallia. I saved current game on my computer but don't know if I need to upload to SGOTM server or can wait until I finish last 2 Moves. Will finish turnset tomorrow after any feedback on tech trading.

Attachments

• Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 93
  • Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0001.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 137
Top Bottom