SGOTM 15 - Xteam

I'm fine with the roster as it is but if problems come up feel free to switch me around if necessary. I have a pretty flexible schedule until mid feb or so.

But our first turnplayer could do me a favor and look in the victory screen at the land percentage we have after our initial settlement. We might figure something out about the mapscript and other stuff, which may or may not come in handy at some point.
Thanks.

leif, you can slot me in and I will let you know if I am not going to be able to take the set.
Got time to lead off?

I'm fine with the roster as it is but if problems come up feel free to switch me around if necessary. I have a pretty flexible schedule until mid feb or so.

But our first turnplayer could do me a favor and look in the victory screen at the land percentage we have after our initial settlement. We might figure something out about the mapscript and other stuff, which may or may not come in handy at some point.
Thanks.
We often attach interim saves to this forum. If there is something you wish to see in the save, just ask the player who is up to post it. :)

Got time to lead off?

I can take it, but I think you should lead off.

Whoever begins. Is the plan to move the warrior, pause, post, and discuss?
I agree. This first set is going to be several stop and go's.
Still like moving him NE.

Lets wait till we all get a chance to see the start screen before selecting a direction for the warrior. With sound on, some times you can get an idea of where there are coasts and to see if we get any blue dots from Sid and the gang once the settler is selected.

Before hand we need to establish some diplomatic guidelines that we want to use......including worker steals. So any ideas?

exploration:
if we run into AI, do we recon their capital or ignore to explore our capital radius? I usually do a full circle of AI caps to see if there are any worker steal spots. Or later to see if they have strategic resources.

I can take it, but I think you should lead off.
You had told me your time was limited for this one, so I figured that if you have some time, may as well take a set. :)

Otherwise, I'll have the time. We are supposed to get a pretty good storm tomorrow, so if you do not hear from me, you'll know why... :p

Lets wait till we all get a chance to see the start screen before selecting a direction for the warrior. With sound on, some times you can get an idea of where there are coasts and to see if we get any blue dots from Sid and the gang once the settler is selected.
Agreed. Never have listened for the ocean before, have to try it. We live so close to the real ocean, hope I can tell the difference. :mischief:

Before hand we need to establish some diplomatic guidelines that we want to use......including worker steals. So any ideas?
Don't usually steal workers, but it is pretty effective to set an AI back. Let's see what develops? :hammer:

The game saves are available at central.

Here is my best guess at fog gazing:

Please not the river along the boundary east of the Stone tile.

Attachments

• SG15_Start_Guesses.jpg
    SG15_Start_Guesses.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 211
Finally!

Quick Question: Would fortifying the warrior and sleeping the settler be alright while examine the fog?

One more thing... edit: The new river ending in the south makes the marble-settle a bit worse, imo.

Leif's fog gazing seems spot on. :goodjob:

I did the whole listening thing Htadus mentioned and i think you can hear the ocean in all directions . Does this mean we're (semi)isolated? :eek:

Quick Question: Would fortifying the warrior and sleeping the settler be alright while examine the fog?
Yes, the actions are reversible, so no problem. :thumbsup:

One more thing... edit: The new river ending in the south makes the marble-settle a bit worse, imo.
Agree, that is why the river NE looks interesting? However, if we need the Marble right away????

Leif's fog gazing seems spot on. :goodjob:
Lucky, I assure you. :)

I did the whole listening thing Htadus mentioned and i think you can hear the ocean in all directions . Does this mean we're (semi)isolated? :eek:
Forgot this, off to give it a try. ;)
edit - Didn't hear a thing except music...

From the Maintenance thread:
In case anyone hasn't noticed, your live starting saves are now available. The usual rules apply - don't download anyone else's save; only the UP player in your team is allowed to make irreversible changes; and you have to live with all irreversible changes - No Going Back!

Good luck everyone :mischief: :hide:

Didn't hear a thing except music...

I zoomed in all the way until the game music stops and then used headphones.
Never done that before though so i could be wrong.
It wouldn't surprise me however if the river would lead westwards to the ocean, if the game description actually includes some hints.

While listening i also completely missed the green hill they added to the south so while the river issue devalues the marble spot, the increased production is another variable which we should consider

I would still prefer it over something in the north-east because we could easily gone for that site (assuming it has food nearby) as 2nd city because the stone wonders we would likely pursue fall a bit later than the important marble ones.

I zoomed in all the way until the game music stops and then used headphones.
Never done that before though so i could be wrong.
It wouldn't surprise me however if the river would lead westwards to the ocean, if the game description actually includes some hints.

You've got me really curious now - I'll have to try this. Given the description of the game I would have expected to see some ocean in our starting screen shot and if not (which is the case) ocean can't be too far away, at least in one direction!

I would still prefer it over something in the north-east because we could easily gone for that site (assuming it has food nearby) as 2nd city because the stone wonders we would likely pursue fall a bit later than the important marble ones.

The point about stone wonders being later than marble ones is well taken if we're not for henge, which I think we're not... Just because I've seen the AI start building the pyramids before settling a second city doesn't mean we should do it!! :rolleyes:

The point about stone wonders being later than marble ones is well taken if we're not for henge, which I think we're not... Just because I've seen the AI start building the pyramids before settling a second city doesn't mean we should do it!! :rolleyes:
Htadus wrote about a Great Prophet to bulb Theology. Without Stonehenge, not sure where that comes from unless we're talking about building an early Temple?

The new river ending in the south makes the marble-settle a bit worse, imo.
Evil mapmaker. :mad:
It does make settling on the marble a little less attractive.

Agree with CP in moving warrior NE.

We could settle on the stone (it's on the river), and maybe Stonehenge is not such a bad idea. :crazyeye:

Maybe 2nd city on the marble (or vice versa ;) ) for a shared corn. :)

Let's decide on the warrior move first! :thumbsup:

Just turned my speakers way up and zoomed in real tight. :eek:

I think there is ocean to the SW, West and NW; perhaps south as well. You can also hear the river burbling away, but the sound is different away from the river. :crazyeye:

Stonehenge, :hmm:
Something to build while we are researching Polytheism?

AP: I remain skeptical about chasing AP. Granted it has value in non-AP win attempts, but getting it will consume a significant number of beakers and hammers (early in the game when they matter the most). Good news, this decision is in front of us.

Tech Trading: I have never played "no tech brokering" so I might be all wet. However, I don't believe its impact will be massive. Sure there are times when you trade for a tech then trade the new tech around. However, as I think back to games, that is not all that frequent. Way more often, I beeline something then trade my tech all around. I.e. rather than trading a for b then b for c, just trade a for b and a for c. I suspect no brokering won't be a huge impact, I am way more concerned about lack of commerce affecting research.

Settle on Marble: I tend to settle on marble plain hills a lot, early worker is so powerful. However, in this case, I am reluctant. Our start is commerce poor. Not sure we should give up 2 commerce from the tile. Also, as pointed out, we lose river tiles (our other source of commerce). It looks like settling west will be our best option.

Warrior move. I made a dot map of start locations (did not 'dot' the marble). I'm assuming we are willing to settle either turn 0 or turn 1.

My read on the dots:

• I would not settle marble unless there are stellar tiles to the south. However, opening the FOW to the south means a high risk of settling on turn 2. I don't like those odds.
  • I would not settle purple, green, or black unless there are stellar tiles to the east. These locations lose too many river tiles.
  • Orange has one advantage, can settle turn 0. If there is something good in the fog to the immediate east, this is a good possibility.
  • I would take blue and yellow over red. Red has only one fogged tile outside of blue's and yellow's BFC, low odds it is better.

Bottom line, unless there is something compelling in the tiles immediately east of purple, green, black, then settler heads to blue or yellow.

I think warrior needs to open up the tiles east of purple, green, and black. I would move him SE. If he sees something special, then settler can head to one of these dots and settle. If not, I would move settler 1W to corn to scout to the west.

So, my vote: warrior moves 1 SE, take a pic, then pause the game for further discussion.

Dot map:

start dots.jpg

I heard many rivers and forests around us. So BW is going to be a priority. However, i did not hear coast tiles. They have a very defined waves breaking on the beach. But the distance does distort the sound.

Excluding the settling tile, we will get a minimum of 7 river tiles if we settle on the marble. We will get 8 river tiles to the south on the stone for sure and on both cases, there seem to be more river tiles around. So we should make a preferance based choice.

If we want to settle on marble the the warrior go the opposite direction and viseverse. That way we get a better look at the surrounding before settling.

I would prefer to settle on marble since we know for sure that we are building the Oracle and we can do some fail gold with the Temple of Artemese. So sent the warrior NE. This way he can climb on the hill on T1 before we settle.

Just turned my speakers way up and zoomed in real tight. :eek:Crazy isn't it

I think there is ocean to the SW, West and NW; perhaps south as well. You can also hear the river burbling away, but the sound is different away from the river. :crazyeye:

Stonehenge, :hmm:
Something to build while we are researching Polytheism?

I am not sure about SH just yet. If we can grow to 2 and build the worker by Aggriculture date, lets build a warrior for exploration. Else, we can consider working on a settler for a few turns. Not a very serious proposal.

We can use SH and ToA for fail gold once Masonry is in and thy are connected when we have nothing to build and need to grow a city. But we are going to need 3 explorers and defenders.

Top Bottom