SGOTM 24 Lurker thread

Hard to know what they have done really. Only 5-6 pages of posts here and a probable bronze laurel for a team's first time out.

Sorry. Most of the team members are not so good at English writing, so basically we discuss via social media. However, I think the forum discussion might be more helpful because the data can be listed and the calculation can be verified, which can hardly be done orally.

To get anywhere near TA date is a good achievement. Sossos and his team have done well. SGOTM has had other teams that don't speak American/English in past. Why not now too?

Looks a pretty solid bronze to me. Almost 30 turns ahead of 4th. Likely almost a 100 turns ahead of Xteam.

Xteam have a lot of units now but seeing a Toku stack of cavalry is a bit scary. I think they will be just happy to finish this game now given approaching deadline.

Many compliments to Zhary on his first sgotm map, was a really good one.

I can't agree more. This is a game you can keep on optimizing from start till end.

Last edited:
Sorry. Most of the team members are not so good at English writing, so basically we discuss via social media. However, I think the forum discussion might be more helpful because the data can be listed and the calculation can be verified, which can hardly be done orally.
While I would like to see more write-up, I couldn't care less as long as you folks join the competition. :goodjob:

@LowtherCastle

Wow, you almost picked out all of our reasoning, plan and mistakes, LC, like a fortuneteller.
Not sure exactly what you're referring to, but I make guesses looking at your three graphs. Mostly I was surprised at how differently you played than what I thought during the game. You guys were ahead of us in score most of the game and started your warring sooner, as seen from the power and score graphs, although we could have started when you did, so I guessed you had attacked Darius rather than Stalin, but I wasn't sure. I had no clue you slingshotted Astronomy. It never occurred to me you'd complete SciMeth so early. That's takes away some GS bulbing power.

Note that your saves were open to us after we finished, so I cracked one open to see what you guys were up to.

Gandhi is not friendly to us even with +8 attitude bonus. I don't know why. He should have base attitude of +2, isn't he?
Yes, but there's a -1 for all AIs on this level, so Gandhi needs to be +9 visible plusmods.

Yes, but there's a -1 for all AIs on this level, so Gandhi needs to be +9 visible plusmods.

Thank you. Actually I can liberate more cities to have Gandhi friendly, but it's too late when I find the solution.

While I would like to see more write-up, I couldn't care less as long as you folks join the competition. :goodjob:
I feel complimented if we've really added some pressure to you.
My problem is still: no enough energy and time to analyze, discuss or argue. When the situation is getting complex, I often switch to "let-it-be" mode. We did have a good start, but we made too many mistakes after T90. Without those mistakes, I think we would have got a religious victory before T170.
For victory before T160, I think we may need to chop less, get Mids from Darius/Stalin, win good GP odds and monopolize Theology. However, it might be wrong. Experts like you may get advantages from here or there, in different appearances to align with the God's dice.

Nice double (or was it triple?) unintential DOW in your game Nostalgia. Was there any raging ? :D

Nice double (or was it triple?) unintential DOW in your game Nostalgia. Was there any raging ? :D
"Alt" and "Ctrl" was stuck twice in one of our team members' laptop, so we declared war unintentionally against Darius, Stalin and Bismark in T108~T110.
I was watching his playing via social media at that time and just couldn't help laughing. You know how China declared war against 8 civilizations at year 1900.

Yes, and if we could combine that with insight and efficiency, we'd be dangerous.

Appreciate the challenging map, and congrats to the winners who certainly demonstrated what we lacked.

When's the next SGOTM?

I kinda regret not playing this time around. The map seems to have been great. But then I have been choked with stuff to do last half a year.

Many compliments to Zhary on his first sgotm map, was a really good one.
I can't agree more. This is a game you can keep on optimizing from start till end.

Thanks to everybody who had posts like this. I was really looking forward to this period the whole spring when I could discuss the map with active players but then RL interviened and I had to put civ on the self for a while(It's a pity it was the last game I still got time to play)

The meaning of friends and foes:
The idea was that foes=industrial to warn people that wonders might go a bit early so that they might be temptedto chop more trees in the beginning. Also tokus merc and Stalins SP prefered civic would fit in.
Friends are the indians if nobody havent figure that out by this moment.

Progress page has been updated with lots of interesting new graphs and pictures of laurels. Well done to TurboAnts on another gold Laurel.

Congrats to all the very impressive games and players!

Serious question from a long time lurker and SGOTM participant from years ago who is interested again: when can we expect the next one?

Be several months I expect. Albeit maybe Summer is a good time for it? Who wants to go outside anyway? It's the people that will likely decide it. At present were waiting on the results page.

Top Bottom