[BTS] SGOTM 24 Xteam

In the interim, answers to the above questions and advice regarding desirability of Defensive pact with D would be appreciated. Darius could wipe us out, should he chose to do so, though he is Friendly at +10..
Darius can't plot against us or be bribed against us as long as we're friendly.

Looks like things are moving along fine. I doubt there will be anything to vote on until Toku is dead.

Being in Hindu doesn't hurt anything. Assuming we get a GA, switch to Free Religion at that point.

Interim save (not paused): http://gotm.civfanatics.net/download.php?file=Xteam_SG024_AD1780_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

Strange thing happened during the lead up to DOWing on G and Toku. I was loading about 7 galleons inside our fort, when all the galleons were suddenly transported into the sea partially loaded, which was more than a little disconcerting. This was not IBT but in the middle of a turn. The fort just disappeared. Only possible explanation that I can come up with is that a spy pillaged the fort (no notification of this) or I inadvertently hit a key that caused the fort to be pillaged. Can you pillage your own improvements?

What was strangest was that when I started to rebuild the fort with the 4 workers that fortunately were readily available and unmoved, the game would only let me use 3 of the workers to “build a fort”. When I tried to use the fourth to complete it, I just wasn’t allowed to do it. So I saved the game at the end of the turn, thinking bad thoughts. I hit enter and tried building the fort again. The three worker turns I had already put in were voided. I used 2 of the workers, then, when I tried the third, could get nothing to happen. In desperation, I joined the remaining two workers, and the game allowed me to complete the fort (and I continued on with the game without further problems). Ever experience anything like that?

We won the vote for AP resident and got a GA. I will play some more in a few hours, but will not be able to finish off Toku tonight. NZ will have to deal with his remaining cavalry (spy has finally pillaged his horses), grens, and rifles.

Interim save (not paused): http://gotm.civfanatics.net/download.php?file=Xteam_SG024_AD1780_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

Strange thing happened during the lead up to DOWing on G and Toku. I was loading about 7 galleons inside our fort, when all the galleons were suddenly transported into the sea partially loaded, which was more than a little disconcerting. This was not IBT but in the middle of a turn. The fort just disappeared. Only possible explanation that I can come up with is that a spy pillaged the fort (no notification of this) or I inadvertently hit a key that caused the fort to be pillaged. Can you pillage your own improvements?

What was strangest was that when I started to rebuild the fort with the 4 workers that fortunately were readily available and unmoved, the game would only let me use 3 of the workers to “build a fort”. When I tried to use the fourth to complete it, I just wasn’t allowed to do it. So I saved the game at the end of the turn, thinking bad thoughts. I hit enter and tried building the fort again. The three worker turns I had already put in were voided. I used 2 of the workers, then, when I tried the third, could get nothing to happen. In desperation, I joined the remaining two workers, and the game allowed me to complete the fort (and I continued on with the game without further problems). Ever experience anything like that?

We won the vote for AP resident and got a GA. I will play some more in a few hours, but will not be able to finish off Toku tonight. NZ will have to deal with his remaining cavalry (spy has finally pillaged his horses), grens, and rifles.

Wow, that sounds really bizarre. I can't think of anything quite like that.

Pretty much all I can advise is to get Medicine finished ASAP (~4 turns) and trade it to Darius for Mil Trad before he steals it from us. Actually, Steel might be more beneficial since Toku has that large stack in Kyoto that we'll need to pummel with collateral damage.

We're pretty evenly matched with Toku now. We definitely have to keep shipping in reinforcements.

Wow, that sounds really bizarre. I can't think of anything quite like that. Thought the gam might be over if I couldn't build another fort.

We're pretty evenly matched with Toku now. We definitely have to keep shipping in reinforcements.
Well he has cavalry on us, but Toku is the AI.

Here's the save: http://gotm.civfanatics.net/download.php?file=Xteam_SG024_AD1795_01.CivBeyondSwordSave

I'm afraid I have left NZ an uninteresting but time-consuming finish. Lots of units to move. I'll try to be available in about 8 hours to answer any questions.

Suggest you take Kagoshima next turn and bring the maximum number of airships into the city same turn. Split forces to get Tokyo quickly, as it has the Great Lighthouse and the quickest path tp the Island city. As long as he doesn't tech some advanced unit, should be just a long slog. Glad the island city isn't on a hill. (BTW, without mounted units in opposition, rifles will no longer be very useful, and you can probably win without further reinforcement, but they should speed things up a bit.)

Gandhi has only been a naval irritations, with no attempt to advance on Gift City.. He produces a SoL every turn and tries to cause problems with it. Mangrove is minus a fishnet at the moment, as a result.. I've sunk several of his vessels with the help of airships.

I think I recall Asoka already has converted to Enviro.

Last edited:
you are not using the UN to convince the AI to run enviromentalist we might ask you to post proof (screenshots, saves etc) that everyone is forced to do so for all turns and does not change back to another civic.
So how is this affected by Asoka voluntarily adopting Enviro? I'm assuming as long as he sticks with it we will be ok.

EDIT: I have asked for formal confirmation of this.

PS Flight cancelled last night, on train home now!

Last edited:
OK I'm home now but quite tired, planning to play some tonight hopefully and finish tomorrow with a day to spare, any guesses how long this will take to complete? 4-6 hours maybe?

A few questions:-
  1. What's the plan with having EPs on Asoka? I was thinking we might need them on Gandhi if we need to switch him into Environmentalism via a spy (although he has medicine and may switch voluntarily).
  2. Are we planning any more civics changes during our GA? I assume not.
  3. Are we keeping all of the Japanese cities or were you planning to raze any?
  4. We need to stay at war with Gandi unless he will Open Borders with us, correct?
  5. What advice would you give re splitting stack, composition of each part and what route they will take? We're facing units on a tech par with us and lots of hill cities if I was playing on my own I could probably keep them together but accept that's a slower route.
  6. Any reason not to finish Medicine and trade it to Darius next turn?

OK I'm home now but quite tired, planning to play some tonight hopefully and finish tomorrow with a day to spare, any guesses how long this will take to complete? 4-6 hours maybe? NZ, I have a window of time from 4-8PM tonight. Would you like me to move the war along for you and hand over about 8?

A few questions:-
  1. What's the plan with having EPs on Asoka? I was thinking we might need them on Gandhi if we need to switch him into Environmentalism via a spy (although he has medicine and may switch voluntarily). ZB thought we might eventually be able to build spy points and see what he was researching next so as to research the right gift tech. I had no better idea.
  2. Are we planning any more civics changes during our GA? I assume not. What about Enviro?
  3. Are we keeping all of the Japanese cities or were you planning to raze any? I was planning to keep all but the last few captured, as they will serve as a base for airships and for whipping any needed units. Coastal cities with TGLths should be valuable and needed for galleon production.
  4. We need to stay at war with Gandi unless he will Open Borders with us, correct? Think so. He would not OB at Pleased after 11 turns, so not sure when he will after two wars. My concern is how we will get him into Enviro. How about extorting that conversion for peace treaty? Of course, he could finally get some advanced units and come after us before we are through with Toku. In which case, think we can take Toku with forces already on hand.
  5. What advice would you give re splitting stack, composition of each part and what route they will take? We're facing units on a tech par with us and lots of hill cities if I was playing on my own I could probably keep them together but accept that's a slower route. Definitely can and should split them. Don't think it matters a great deal of difference -- just couple of best CR-promoted grens on the hill city.
  6. Any reason not to finish Medicine and trade it to Darius next turn? Well, if Darius doesn't already have it, then maybe save to bribe for Enviro.
I have to go now, but will either play around 4 or give you some more details about possible war strategy. Let me know what you prefer. If for me to play, then soliciting advice on all non-war issues.

Perfect if you can play tonight - as can be seen from some of my questions I'm very tired lol. Please do download the new save though - all I've done is add markers for our Forest Preserves but best to play it safe.

Are we planning any more civics changes during our GA? I assume not. What about Enviro? Good point, we need to convert those two camps to Forest Preserves though so that we only have to keep everyone in Enviro for 1 turn.

Well, if Darius doesn't already have it, then maybe save to bribe for Enviro. - He needs to have Medicine before we can bribe him into Enviro.

My concern is how we will get him into Enviro. How about extorting that conversion for peace treaty? That was my thought exactly, although he might switch anyway now he has Medicince.

If we have enough preserves to get it down to 4 turns, that should be sufficient. If the workers have time to convert the camps to preserves, I would be OK with doing so. However, if we're short on time in the GA, make the change to Enviro.

If we have enough preserves to get it down to 4 turns, that should be sufficient.
The problem is Asoka switched on his own so there will be no 5 turn limit on him swapping civics, it's unlikely but I'd rather not take the risk. Pete has pre-built the two preserves so it will only be 1 turn to convert them.

Perfect if you can play tonight - as can be seen from some of my questions I'm very tired lol. Please do download the new save though - all I've done is add markers for our Forest Preserves but best to play it safe. Will do.

Are we planning any more civics changes during our GA? I assume not. What about Enviro? Good point, we need to convert those two camps to Forest Preserves though so that we only have to keep everyone in Enviro for 1 turn. Since I don't know what tech is worth researching next, I'm going to wait on finishing Medicine until the turn before the GA ends. At that point, we could complete the two needed forest preserves before converting. However, we will be a long ways from defeating Toku, so not clear if that would be the time to convert. Will stop when I get there, unless I get clear direction in the thread.

Well, if Darius doesn't already have it, then maybe save to bribe for Enviro. - He needs to have Medicine before we can bribe him into Enviro (I knew that . . . Duh). Darius has Med, so think we're going to have to bribe him with gold. Is there consensus on that?

My concern is how we will get him into Enviro. How about extorting that conversion for peace treaty? That was my thought exactly, although he might switch anyway now he has Medicince.

Like to hear from you, ZB [Edit: cross posted. Sill like to have more input from you.]. Going ahead and playing now, but will check back to thread regularly..

(I knew that . . . Duh). Darius has Med, so think we're going to have to bribe him with gold. Is there consensus on that?
Sorry yes just making sure, easy to forget a crucial detail under pressure. Gold is probably the way to go, I'm happy with that. Happy to wait till Toku is dead to switch to Environmentalism, maybe better keeping SP as long as we can.

Last edited:
Nice change since last time I saw the save.

Pete - do you another save beyond 1795 for me to look at?

BTW, agree on just using gold for bribe. It's more reliable than going for a tech, and probably significantly cheaper with Asoka and Gandhi already in Enviro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom