Shahanshah

If you think it'll make the story better, go right ahead! :D
I think so - I just hope the AI will start building Settlers again. I switched every single AI city (except for Egypt's last city) to produce Settlers, and finished their production, so that when I go to the next turn, dozens of Settlers will be created. I played a few turns on - not seriously, just to check - and the AI does actually settle new cities.

For good measure, I also added a Library, a University, and a Marketplace to every city that didn't have them yet (with the exception of Egypt's last city - as I would only be conquering it for myself - and my own cities).

This took hours to do, so I really hope the AI will go back to building Settlers now. On the upside, the AI is teching well, as a lot of cities were in the process of building Cathedrals (I don't understand why, but, at least it indicates that they're teching) before I switched them to Settlers. Even so, I have the Great Library, so it might be more interesting to simply stop teching and have the AI tech for me; I wouldn't want to have my tanks running over riflemen. :p

Some cities were also building Workers, so the problem is not related to units that cost population to produce, but to Settlers in specific. Or maybe I am imagining any kind of problem - but I have never known the AI to never settle any cities anymore, with so much free land still available.

Anyway - today is a university-filled day, as is tomorrow, and Friday too - and so probably Thursday as well, needing to work on things at home - so... I'll see when I can play. :)

I think so - I just hope the AI will start building Settlers again. I switched every single AI city (except for Egypt's last city) to produce Settlers, and finished their production, so that when I go to the next turn, dozens of Settlers will be created. I played a few turns on - not seriously, just to check - and the AI does actually settle new cities.
The Civ3 AI tends not to build Settlers -- or at least, not send them out -- while at war.

Also, that looks like an enormous map (is it YodaPower's?), but judging by your screenies, none of the terrain (apart from Mountains + Volcanoes) seems to be inhospitable, so between you and the AI-Civs (and if you're using the Firaxis Civ3conquests.exe, rather than e.g. one of Antal's patches), you're easily going to hit the total-city limit -- if you haven't already done so. With 31(?) civs on the board, 512 cities is reached with only 16-17 cities founded per civ -- after which the AI will not (voluntarily) build any more Settlers...

The Civ3 AI tends not to build Settlers -- or at least, not send them out -- while at war.

Also, that looks like an enormous map (is it YodaPower's?), but judging by your screenies, none of the terrain (apart from Mountains + Volcanoes) seems to be inhospitable, so between you and the AI-Civs (and if you're using the Firaxis Civ3conquests.exe, rather than e.g. one of Antal's patches), you're easily going to hit the total-city limit -- if you haven't already done so. With 31(?) civs on the board, 512 cities is reached with only 16-17 cities founded per civ -- after which the AI will not (voluntarily) build any more Settlers...
There are a bunch of them at war, but that wouldn't explain the past many years, nor the other AIs.

Yes, it is that map. I do not use the rules that come with it, but I did use the unsettleable jungle idea (as well as mountains and volcanoes and water tiles, of course). I use one of those patches as well, but even then, I think it only allows the player to go over the limit of 512; AIs simply refuse to settle even if they have Settlers (or, so I read in a thread about those patches). So fortunately, that isn't (yet) the case, as the AIs created new cities with the Settlers I gave them.

But we'll see, yeah. :p

All that remained now were half-isolated mountain tribes that were more Aravian than Egyptian, but it was the quintessential Ramesses II that approached the besieging Persian forces with a peace offer. He had recently succeeded his father, who in turn had come to power by Pharaonic decree, as Cleopatra had decided to only suffer pureblooded Egyptians to govern her realm. The Aravians of Aravia, the joyous people of Heliopolis, and the inhabitants of all the rest of now-broken Egypt, had many stories to share on these Ramesseses. They were megalomanic dictators, harshly oppressing all those who appeared to be less than full-blooded Egyptians. They sought to establish monuments to immortalise the greatness of pure Egyptian culture. Pyramids that pierced the sky, thrice as large as the best that either Egypt or Persia had to offer. Ramesses II had dug out an entire valley, between the mountains, to serve as a gigantic tomb for his father, and he named this the Valley of Kings. Houses were destroyed by the block, to make way for gigantic temple complexes. A new palace was being built, larger and more extravagant than anything either Thebes or Memphis could offer, to unite Lower and Upper Egypt in one city-sized palace. And indeed, the very name of this city only survives as Pi-Ramesses, meaning 'House of Ramesses'.

Thus were the stories that reached Rostam's ears, and he nodded sagely, having seen the same behaviour from Osman, when his Ottoman hegemony had been irreversibly doomed. He had found the corpse of Cleopatra, in a catacomb under Elephantine, drugged by incense and other balms, committed suicide by eternal sleep. He had brought this corpse with him, and tied it to a stone launched into Pi-Ramesses. As the Trebuchet finished its swing, as Cleopatra landed in the streets of Pi-Ramesses, revolt broke out. Ramesses II, much like his father, was overthrown by the Aravians, and the oppressed, and the sympathetic, and those who simply wished to survive and sided with the Persians out of self-perseverance. A prudent choice, and one Rostam blamed no one for. In the end, the Egyptian culture was absorbed within the Persian one - or, as the soldiers would boast of in pubs and taverns; the Egyptians were killed by the sight of the naked corpse of their queen.

It had been said that Cleopatra was the most beautiful woman on Earth, but this was soon forgotten as the title was given to Andromeda. She had been a queen of sorts in the Hellenic highlands, before Persia brought proper civilisation to those shores. A woman of serene beauty, she soon travelled through all of Persia at the side of Persia's most desirable men; the strongest, the wisest, the most beautiful. She would marry Abd al-Rahman al-Sufi, born in Farsi proper and a frequent visitor of the Great Library to add his scrolls and postulations to the many tomes therein. This man adopted the name Azophi, a more Hellenic name, to the great pleasure of his wife, and together they saw all that Persia had to offer. And more besides still; many were the nights that they spent, lying in the fields of grass and the seas of sand, looking up at the stars. Having written of mathematics and being familiar with the arts of glass making, Azophi manufactured lenses, and telescopes, and became the founding father of the field of astronomy.

It was in Persepolis, in the Persian capital, where he would contract a magnificent observatory to be built, higher and taller and larger than the one in Heliopolis, even. The denizens of Heliopolis might often stare at the sun, but Heliopolis was situated on an isthmus, a thin sliver of land almost, but not quite, swallowed by the seas. Persepolis, on the other hand, was situated along the Farsi River, springing forth from the scarcely passable highlands that had only recently been developed by Constantine and his crusaders. The air there was ill and thin, and it was said that the gods had found their home amidst these mountains, that every peak was a step of the stairway to heaven, so high were these highlands. Just adjacent to this top of the world, Azophi built his observatory, and he saw stars and planets and moons in innumerable numbers. He saw the end of this galaxy and the beginning of another, and he humorously referred to it as 'a little cloud', in a sea of stars - a little cloud that he named 'Andromeda', for his wife.

As the stars up high were thus explored, so too were the lands and seas that held Persia. Of the seas, the shores of Africa had been mapped by Hanno, and of Europe by Hirqul, but this was a slow and risky business, of curraghs and galleys reliant on sight of the shore. As Persian sailors became adept at navigation, and as tools such as sextants and compasses were developed, brave and bold men sailed farther and farther down the great blue expanse.

The Chinese, lacking the ingenuity so common to Persian heritage, had instead taken to send out a great fleet of hundreds of galleys, all within sight of each other, communicating by waving cloths of different dyes in different patterns. This fleet was named for this multitude of colours, a veritable rainbow on the horizon, and for the Celtic whispers of treasures being hidden at the end of a rainbow; this was the so-called Treasure Fleet, and it held plenty of treasures to buy safe refuge and passage through the many lands and ports. China, after all, was far, far away.

Alas, this fleet favoured galleys, biremes, and triremes, and all of these were dwarfed by the Persian caravels, sleek ships faster than the winds, skimming over the waters, with a maze of masts covering the ship in every angle imaginable, to catch the best winds.

As the Treasure Fleet had come to Persia, so Persian caravels would come to China, making considerably faster time, and suitably cowing the far-away Chinese; their amusing inventions couldn't stand against the brilliance that fate had gifted all Persians with.

Brilliance, and passage to the gods, not only on water, but also on the high mountains that lay between Persia, India, China, and Mongolia. Explorers sought gods, ancient treasures, good fortune, or simple adventure or battle, but through their stories and tales, and through the following they attracted, new routes were constructed, new paths were discovered, and new lands were mapped.

This was especially true in Africa, now that Egypt was but another part of great Persia. The city of New Giza was established next to the ruins of old Giza, and it became a city fervently loyal to Aravian ideas and ideals. Further, as a city built in the image of old Giza, of Egyptian cities, it attracted Egyptian immigrants too, and thus allowed for the cultures of Persia and the peoples of Asia to mix and merge with those of former Egypt and newly-opened Africa.

Africa, a land of opportunity, a land of vast deserts and faraway civilisations - Persia would reach to them, too, in time. Closest were the pious Byzantines, who preached of their one god much like the Aravians did, but in a manner that booked no argument, that saw dissent met with death. Persia had grown large, larger than even Theodora of Byzantium could possibly know, and they had corrupted the Byzantine faith - the one true faith - by raising the Aravians in influence, uplifting them from barbaric tribes to a great Persian people. In the west, too, were sown seeds of future trouble, as the Carthaginians of Hannibal had their own maleficent practices.

It probably isn't - but I have been working entire days including the weekend on my Master's study (I came home five minutes ago, if that). So... It is temporarily dead? Teach me of necromancy! :p

nice and interesting
My Master study thought so as well, I'm afraid. I spend my weekends and literally entire days on working and studying. :p

But thank you! :)

Top Bottom