Shattered Lands -- 18 Civ PBEM game

Game Turn: #25
Time of before last turn: 11.75 Hours
Time of last turn: 36.5 hours
Current Year: 3000 BC (Start: 8AM, 1/23/2009)
Next Player to move: Alexx

Last edited by Larven : Jan 23, 2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: update <-- this is based on my time zone
Looks like you are in US Central time. Sorry about the 12 hr delay for my turn - your 7pm email never arrived. I got your 8:30am email saying I had missed the time period. I will be watching this thread to monitor where the game is at.

Can I suggest that you add a new post with the latest game information (as well as editing the #2 post) so that people monitoring threads see the new info (post edits are not viewed as 'new'). That way, I would have seen that I was up and that the email had not arrived.

I am not sure if I want to keep posting here. It means that 18 players would get e-mails about the thread. I wanted to try and keep this thread clean so new players can get info.

Any other suggestions would be considered though. Like some kind of HTML monitor can be added. I have a few web pages I can host if needed. I am just not good at coding special web pages like that.

Well we're still 6 players short, so in the short term it's probably a decent idea to keep it somewhat bumped to attract new players.

On that note: To anyone wondering whether or not to join - dive on in here! Larven is doing a bang-up job of keeping this moving for such a big game, and as he says in the initial post - the map (what I've seen of it) has some interesting things in store for us! :)

Hi Larven, I like being number 13 and think this could be interesting, maybe fun. If we make it to 18 humans in a PBEM. Historic.

Chasbolt will be playing Marko's civ.

Marko has not been able to load the file to play, so he has not actually played any turns.

There are still 6 civs available for new players. Things are coming along now.

I am keeping track of the time of the last two turns. Its important we maintain an average of one move a day. We are pretty much doing this, though would be nice to do 2 moves a day at this stage of the game.

Congrats to all !!

We just did 2 turns within less than 24 hours. Our last turn took a record of 3.5 hours.

All lot of this was due to planned moves in the last 2 rounds by most of all players.

I think the pre-planned moves can become more common because most scouts are just finishing up on their exploration. The most players have to play with are workers, city builds and tech decisions. So take advantage of this time and plan ahead so we can get this game into a more exciting brain busting strategy and diplomacy.

This is actually an ideal time for new players to join in because tactics will vary more and more from player to player as the basics are there now for your civ.

A few words here

Here is just a reminder on strategies. I know most of you are use to tweaking your civ and that is important. But remember this is an 18 player human game. This means you can be the tweakest, but still get pummeled due to diplomatic failure. So this game is probably a lot more on the diplomacy side. Think of it as a Survivor show where civs could eventually vote you off for whatever reason. So consider your communication methods. Here are some pointers.

1) Do not e-mail players you have not met in the game with communications. Its cheating. Report this to me if anyone receives such an e-mail

2) Use your diplomacy screen to send simple text messages that players get every turn.

3) Use the tab key to send a message. Just not sure if the player will notice it.

4) If its ok, with the player, just e-mail your communications. I don't have to see them. Though send the communication to GM controlled civs in the game.

I am thinking of setting up a forum for just this game. Its easy to do and the game will last over a year. So its worth it. All kinds of alliance or assemblies can be set up with certain player access. Example: United Nations, Nato, Asian Alliance, European Union, Opec etc...

I just don't want you to realize how important communication is after you worked so hard for so long and find your torch being put out over a bad vibe you gave your neighbors.

I am adding a new feature so we can keep on track with 1 turn per day.

I will basically add every hour that is above 24 on a turn to the delay tracker. Once delay hits 24 hours, I will schedule a turn that only the GM will play and you have to map your turn out on your game map. I will give two turns notice.

This will allow players that are trying very hard to either make their turns or plan ahead some releif.

Last two turns were very slow. To get back on track the year 2560 BC will be done by the game master only. A lot of 12 hour limits were hit lately. Its understandable that people can be busy.

Basically I will be running the year 2560 BC right through.

1) If you are doing the turn before. Make sure you have your next tech, you next build queued in your city and directions for your workers and scout.
2) If I am doing the turn for you on the round before, I will see if some direction is needed. If so, I will e-mail you your end of turn results so you can get me your instructions.
3) It is still possible I may send you your turn during a Game Master Round if something unusual is going on that needs your immediate attention.
4) If no instruction are available for me, I will try and make the best of your turn.

There are a few players that are not effected by a Game Master Round because they only get their end of turn results and give amazing instruction on their next moves. If you want to learn how to do this and help the game go faster, please consult with Dreylin or Ruff_hi.

Hey we still have room for 6 more players !

Looks like we need another Game Master Round. Its scheduled for the year 2440 BC. Make sure you mapped out for that year. See the post above on how it works.

Welcome PMS

Added him to game and he will be playing Hannibal.

If you get your turn from a previous player, please play the turn and send it to me. There are times I have to run errands right after sending a turn to a player and its a little faster if I have left instruction to that player to send the move to the next player even if you have your turn mapped out.

We have room for 5 more players !

Ok somehow we jumped from an average of one move per day to 1 move per 2 days even with Game Master Rounds. Civs are still at their very simple stage. Players are probably more busier and maybe not checking their e-mails as much. Its understandable overall maybe, but I have to try and improve this.

In the next few rounds, I will be polling players on what option they would like to improve the speed. I will gather your answers when you return your turns to me.

Option #1: Drop the slowest player

Option #2: Extend the Game Master Rounds to two (2) consecutive rounds instead of only one.

I will start keeping track of times on the next turn so everyone has a clean slate in case the vote decides to drop the slowest player. If you plan and map your moves, it pretty much guarantees you not to be the slowest player.

I really have no idea who is the slowest at this time. I hope its not me :)

We have room for 5 more players

Larven,

I would like to propose an option3: run a GM round every other round.

I agree that at this early stage, there's not a lot going on; but it can be a big step to back away and not be able to push the buttons for yourself. :) I know that's how I felt when I started, but once I got used to planning my moves ahead I settled down and became more comfortable with it. So maybe if you get everyone into that process, they will become more comfortable with taking their hands off the reins.

As advice to the other players: what I did was to build a copy of my immediate area using Worldbuilder, and then use that dummy-game to test strategies, plan builds, Worker actions, etc. Clearly, it can't account fully for ongoing exploration and influences of other Civs, but for early-game move planning has allowed me to be ahead of the curve and know what will be going on domestically in 5,10,20t from now.

I'd never used WB in anger before, and found it to be pretty intuitive to use. Start a new game, Huge, 18civs. Once started, I chose a suitable area of the map and terraformed it into a copy of my starting location. I did this by taking screenshots from the main game and alt-tabbing back and forth. Once I'd got everything satisfactory, I just replicated the turns in-game that had been run to get me to the present date.

That's a basic overview, but I'm happy to offer my limited expertise if requested.

Wow - a sand pit approach by Dreylin. Obviously if Larven released the WB save that created this map, we wouldn't have to do that.

Spoiler :
joking!

Here is what I ... Larven sends me the turn, after my units have moved but before he has hit Enter. Here is what I send him back ...

Instructions for T41

city tiles - [list of the tiles to work] (xF, yH, zC)
city build - [current city build]
tech - [current tech]
worker - [current worker action]
warrior - has 'goto' orders to location A

Preliminary Instructions for T42

city tiles - [list of the tiles to work] (xF, yH, zC)
city build - [current city build]
tech - [current tech]
worker - [current worker action]
warrior - has 'goto' orders to location A

Most of the time, my preliminary instructions are correct so I don't have to change anything. Every now and then I take a turn so that I can mark up the map with way-points and / or possible city locations. It makes it easier talking to Larven if I can say ...

"Settler to City Location 4"

Ok Option #3 would work also

Option#3: Every second round is a mandatory Game Master Round, but only until the game is back on schedule. Once, on schedule, option #3 is off until the game falls behind again.

Don't vote here though. I will get your vote from you next e-mail. You will have to choose only one option.

My vote is option 3, of course until the game is back on schedule, then i can vote for option 2 of course until the game will grow so high that we will have to play alone without Larven help, but this is far future and i do not think about this yet.

Top Bottom