Should I buy BTS?

hotstuffjsn

Elizabeth
This may seem like a dumb question to most, it may have been to me a few days ago before it was released. After reading so many posts about flaws in the game, or broken new game mechanics I spent sometime thinking that maybe I should just play Vanilla Civ? I mean I have warlords but you all know it doesn't add much and vassals aren't entirely useful or worth it, but with corporations and all of that jazz it sounds like it hasn't been fun to most people. What do you all think? I'm pretty hardcore about my Civ games but i'm worried I may dislike the game more with these additions. The original Civ was perfect for me, everything worked well but now I wonder. I'll probably buy it just for the sake of having it but I guess i'll see when it's installed. It just seemed as though it was rushed and things need to be worked out, maybe I should just wait until it's patched? Any feedback from people that have the game would be appreciated.

It's works very well, to me it doesn't feel rushed at all. The problem is that it's not completely playtested at marathon speed. So unless you only play marathon, you won't be bothered.

It's a good game, very intertesting changes that take a while to get used to but
once you do it is a very good feeling when you play it.

how do u mean it aint playtested at marathon level? is this the general consensus and how is gameplay affected?

There is this problem with some of some espionage missions being far too powerful at marathon. So powerful you have to turn the off. Another problem unrelated to marathon is that corporations are very difficult to use.

No corps are ok as long as you know what you are doing with them!

the only good reason to not buy it is that everytime a BtS copy gets sold, a baby jesus freezes to death.

Yeah that's the key isn't it. It reminds me a bit when the released civ4 vanilla. Many were complaining about the maintanance because they couldn't expand idefinetely like in civ3. Now many are treating corporations like religions and wants to spread them to every city, not wanting to change old strategies. I wouldn't really know by the way I haven't gotten to the late game yet.

Just play with normal speed and you are fine. Some of the mechanics regarding atleast espionage are broken in slower speeds as they were not scaled right, but they will most likely be fixed in the next patch. There are also alot things that players call broken simply because they are harder to use, it will take time to discover the best ways to use new contempts. If you ask me it's worth that 30 euros :)

Game is definitely worth it. This should have been the first expansion pack, not the 2nd. It's good.

The people complaining about corporations don't know how to use them properly.

Ok, so basically the game is more then fine; it's just the premise that people do not know how to incorporate the new game mechanics properly?

It's works very well, to me it doesn't feel rushed at all. The problem is that it's not completely playtested at marathon speed. So unless you only play marathon, you won't be bothered.
oh no i only play on marathon i love the longest game possible

No corps are ok as long as you know what you are doing with them!

:lol: and you are fine with the fact that every dirty trick (and they are at times) that you use to make them work is unknown and unused by the AI? and that the AI actually helps you make them work while not being aware of how to make your own companies painful for you? or the quadratic inflation problem?

cmon, it isn't just "just learn how to use them". it's "you have to use them this way or don't even bother, and at a certain point you might as well not even bother"

200% inflation is sure broken.

200% inflation is sure broken.

even in game 200% results in a maintenance multiplier of 3 so that 100 maintenance with 200% inflation shown on screen results in 300 maintenance paid with 2/3s being inflation itself.

:lol: and you are fine with the fact that every dirty trick (and they are at times) that you use to make them work is unknown and unused by the AI? and that the AI actually helps you make them work while not being aware of how to make your own companies painful for you? or the quadratic inflation problem?

cmon, it isn't just "just learn how to use them". it's "you have to use them this way or don't even bother, and at a certain point you might as well not even bother"

I'm still curious as to why none of those dirty tricks worked on my Normal speed game Noble difficulty (which is one of the difficulties supposedly impacted)...

Corporations which were spread to most of my cities and through many AI cities made me filthy rich without providing the 20 or 300 turn research that would be characteristic of a crippled AI economy.

I'm thinking it IS related to Marathon speed. Not that this would be surprising, since as people noticed its a problem of inflation, not actual corporate costs, and inflation is based on turn #. What would have been a very slight oddity of marathon-speed inflation pre-BtS could easily have been blown up by this new feature.

EDIT: No, it wasn't an advanced start. That kind of defeats the purpose of the game, for me ^_^

"just learn how to use them". it's "you have to use them this way or don't even bother, and at a certain point you might as well not even bother"

You still have to learn how to use them that way, it takes practice! :)

To be fair i actually don't bother with corps because i am a state property user most of the time.

I am personally trying not to buy BTS because I find the CIV series to addicting.
BUYER beware game too good its addicting!

ive modified my game so tha marathon has 1750 instead of 1500 and have also increased everything at an equal percentage. so r u guys sayin that there is a problem with the original marathon settings?

you might as well buy it because once its patched and the mods start rolling out, it'll be the only way to fly.

Top Bottom