Should I care about happiness or city growth?

Typically, one copy of a luxury you have provides four amenities that are applied to four different cities. If you have four copies of a luxury, they'll serve 16 cities total.
I always thought that you only benefit from the first one; copies of a luxury don't provide any further amenities. That's what makes them great for trading to other civs for cash and/or luxuries you don't have. Perhaps I'm wrong?

I always thought that you only benefit from the first one; copies of a luxury don't provide any further amenities. That's what makes them great for trading to other civs for cash and/or luxuries you don't have. Perhaps I'm wrong?
No, you are correct. Any additional copies of any luxury don't provide any benefits and should be traded away to the AI.

No, you are correct. Any additional copies of any luxury don't provide any benefits and should be traded away to the AI.
Trading resources to the AI gets tiring later since they add additional stuff for themselves. At that rate, AI gets greedier and greedier.

Trading resources to the AI gets tiring later since they add additional stuff for themselves. At that rate, AI gets greedier and greedier.
Trading luxuries early game is critical for cashflow purposes, and the AI is more than willing to pay. Late game, not so much for the reason you stated. However it's not as critical since you should have better cashflow options anyway by that time.

Trading luxuries early game is critical for cashflow purposes, and the AI is more than willing to pay. Late game, not so much for the reason you stated. However it's not as critical since you should have better cashflow options anyway by that time.
I agree, early game, the AI will actually pay you to trade but eventually will drop the paying price later which kind of becomes redundant when you can build entertainment venues. Heck, AI might even ask you to pay this time in the late game.

Top Bottom