[RD] Should I take a course in astronomy or metereology and oceanography?

Astronomy or metereology and oceanography

• Total voters

Lohrenswald

世界的 bottom ranked physicist
Because this is absolutely not something I should just think about myself.

I've said to a lot of you that I study physics, but the study program I attend is actually called "Physics, Astronomy and Metereology and Oceonagraphy" (metereology and oceanography are bundled together). In the fourth semester I have to choose one of these three (and I'll go for physics). However in the third semester (this autumn) a course in either astronomy or metereology and oceonagraphy is required, but I have to choose one of these subjects (and yes I've only had mandatory courses so far).

So which one of these two would you recomend?

I would like to point out a few pros and cons, but I don't have much constructive:
On one hand there's Space, and on the other there's the rather complicated and intricate fluid systems of the atmosphere.

Both have prospects of incorporating several fields, which sounds kind of interesting
Both requires a lot of programming, which sounds dreadful

There's a chance I fail along the way, so don't believe to much in me, by the way.

I'd say it's got to be a personal choice. Only you know where your interests and abilities truly lie, and you should choose based on those. Though plainly you're struggling to make any such choice.

If it were me, I'd go with meteorology and oceanography. Mainly because I'm currently studying fluid mechanics, which is extremely tough, I find, but intrinsically interesting to me.

Space. It's just stuff out there. *waves vaguely skywards*

But other people are fired up about space, and black holes and nebula. And stuff. Which is perfectly fine.

I would go with Astronomy, because I would expect it to have more tie-ins to what you'll learn in Physics.. although I don't really know the curriculum, so that is a guess. Plus space is interesting, and you'll probably get to look at a pretty pictures every once in a while.

Plus imagine strolling through the park in the evening with a girl - which of these 3 fields could help you best in that situation? Probably astronomy.

I don't really know much about the other 2 fields though, and I do like learning new concepts, so I guess basically it comes down to you weighing all the factors, and seeing which choice is the best fit for you at the time. I would look at the workload first and foremost, I think, and balance intensive courses with some lighter ones.

Yeah. Just do the maths first, and the rest will be easy peasy whichever you do.

My astronomy course involved three 'night labs' which were basically lame; bumbling in the dark with telescopes that should have been set up ahead of time, that were not really powerful enough to see anything interesting anyway. This meant three evenings of my college drinking opportunities that could never be made up. (Actually, only two. By the third one I figured there was no good reason not to show up drunk, so I did.)

I'll try to respond some more later but for now, I'll say this:

I didn't think this quite warranted an RD, but I would like some at least semi-serious responses.

Spoiler :
Also I don't drink, Tim

EDIT: also there's a nice poll

I would suggest trying the course on Metereology and Oceonagraphy. Just because it would open up a different view of the world from other things you've been studying in the past. It's only the one course, so if you don't like it, you've lost little. And if you do like it, it could be a lot of fun.

It is the tough choice between hydrodynamics and magnetohydrodynamics...

I think there are two questions two consider:
- What do these course actually cover? Both fields are vast and can range from Powerpoint physics with pretty pictures to involved calculations of complex dynamics.

- Do you have special interest in any subfield of physics? If you want to go into astrophysics or environmental physics, the choice should be clear. But other subfields also have some connections and having heard a primer on a field might help you later on.

Can you attend both courses the first few times and drop the one you do not like?

That was a (semi) serious response. Astronomy courses should be checked for weird lab requirements, because even people who don't drink might not like the hours. I had a friend on the baseball team that took the same course, and the labs disrupted his workout schedule for two weeks every time.

I took an astronomy course once, it was out of this world.

Or you could be lame and go with the flow taking oceanography.

I'm not sure weather or not meteorology is in your interests though.

Because this is absolutely not something I should just think about myself.

I've said to a lot of you that I study physics, but the study program I attend is actually called "Physics, Astronomy and Metereology and Oceonagraphy" (metereology and oceanography are bundled together). In the fourth semester I have to choose one of these three (and I'll go for physics). However in the third semester (this autumn) a course in either astronomy or metereology and oceonagraphy is required, but I have to choose one of these subjects (and yes I've only had mandatory courses so far).

So which one of these two would you recomend?

I would like to point out a few pros and cons, but I don't have much constructive:
On one hand there's Space, and on the other there's the rather complicated and intricate fluid systems of the atmosphere.

Both have prospects of incorporating several fields, which sounds kind of interesting
Both requires a lot of programming, which sounds dreadful

There's a chance I fail along the way, so don't believe to much in me, by the way.
Well, I know which one I'd choose. I've studied astronomy most of my life, mostly on my own, since there isn't much available around here for formal study. I had two astronomy classes in junior high - one in my grade 7 science option, in which we were allowed to choose our own group project to work on (there were a whopping FOUR students in that group; the rest of them took biology and did a lot of dissecting of innocent animals). The project we did was to make our own telescope. Since this was a county school located within city limits, there was no opportunity to test the telescope after dark as I was the only one in the group who could have made it to school after dark. So we took it out in the daytime and one student promptly did the one thing you're not supposed to do with a telescope: Look at the Sun. :rolleyes:

There was a section on astronomy in grade 8 science, and most of it involved writing a term paper on something that was part of the Solar System. I'm sure the teacher meant we were supposed to choose a planet to write about, but I chose the Sun (hey, it's part of the Solar System, right? :D). And that's when my interest in astronomy really took off. 'Cause that's when I learned about how stars are formed, what they're made of, that there are many different kinds, how long they exist, how they die... I discovered that there were some really excellent reference books in that school library, and I spent the next year and a half reading every single one of them.

I didn't get to take any more astronomy in school, as it wasn't offered. It doesn't seem to be something the local school system encourages much, unless a particular teacher offers to teach a unit on it or is willing to supervise an extracurricular group. During my first-year practicum in the bachelor of education program back in the early '80s, I was offered the choice of which subject I wanted to do a solo class in. I chose science, and asked the teacher which units she was going to do. I was surprised and a bit shocked when she said she'd never had any intention of doing astronomy, so I said I'd do that one. The kids were very enthusiastic, and I hope they got more chances in later grades.

There was exactly one course offered many years later at the local college, which I took and loved. That was the year that Hale-Bopp came around, and I remember how excited I was when I glanced up at the sky and saw it.

Now whether you should choose it... obviously that depends on what your interests and career goals are, and how well you could apply what you'd learn in an astronomy course.

I've never taken oceanography - never really saw any need for it, given that I live in a land-locked province many hundreds of miles from the nearest ocean. I did take physical geography, though, and meteorology was included in that. That's a good, practical field of study since you can apply the knowledge in so many other fields, and in your daily life.

Space. It's just stuff out there. *waves vaguely skywards*

But other people are fired up about space, and black holes and nebula. And stuff. Which is perfectly fine.
The thing is, space is not just "out there." Space is everywhere, including Earth orbit.

Plus imagine strolling through the park in the evening with a girl - which of these 3 fields could help you best in that situation? Probably astronomy.
Good point. Some of the best times I had with my boyfriend was when we were out stargazing (really; I had my small telescope and star charts, and we spent a lot of time watching meteor showers).

My astronomy course involved three 'night labs' which were basically lame; bumbling in the dark with telescopes that should have been set up ahead of time, that were not really powerful enough to see anything interesting anyway. This meant three evenings of my college drinking opportunities that could never be made up. (Actually, only two. By the third one I figured there was no good reason not to show up drunk, so I did.)
What a shame. But there are many things to look at that don't require a telescope. For instance, Jupiter is incredibly bright this month.

You can easily teach yourself a ton of astronomy. You have the internet.

Meteorology and oceanography is less popular, but super relevant to the world. I'd jump on that class.

Space is fun, you'll have no trouble learning all you want from outside sources. You'll happily watch online lectures or read books from the science section of bookstore.

But oceanography and meteorology knowledge are both important and rare. It's a set of knowledge that will be very useful to you in the future, since you'll be able to make all kind of useful input into important topics like climate change and ecology.

But oceanography and meteorology knowledge are both important and rare. It's a set of knowledge that will be very useful to you in the future, since you'll be able to make all kind of useful input into important topics like climate change and ecology.

However, Republicans may pretend that you don't exist, so follow this path cautiously.

As long as (s)he also pretends that Republicans don't exist either, I don't see a problem.

Probably depends on if the practicals are interesting/uninteresting, and where you see yourself working in the future.
I'd guess that astronomy has a pretty narrow field of work (...well...space?), but with meteorology and oceanography you have a lot more possibilities (everything with ships, planes, transportation in general, military, weather itself, etc). But no real clue :p.

And how much you like Star Trek :D.

I'd guess that astronomy has a pretty narrow field of work (...well...space?)...
Education, writing, working at an observatory, research, and lots more that hobbsyoyo could probably rattle off better than I could.

There seems to be a shortage of competent people to write astronomy articles these days. Several weeks ago, an article posted on CBC.ca (Canadian Broadcasting Corporation) informed us that total solar eclipses are really rare, and occur every 50, 100, or 1000 years, depending on who you ask. Eclipses that are visible in Ontario, west of Ontario, north of Ontario, and in the Maritimes are evidently not visible in Quebec. And later in the article the author used an astrologer as one of her sources.

I wrote to complain about the shoddy reporting, and the article was amended... somewhat. But it's still a mess.

Ironically, the author's last name is Sagan (no relation to Carl, thankfully).

It is the tough choice between hydrodynamics and magnetohydrodynamics...

I think there are two questions two consider:
- What do these course actually cover? Both fields are vast and can range from Powerpoint physics with pretty pictures to involved calculations of complex dynamics.

- Do you have special interest in any subfield of physics? If you want to go into astrophysics or environmental physics, the choice should be clear. But other subfields also have some connections and having heard a primer on a field might help you later on.

Can you attend both courses the first few times and drop the one you do not like?

Mostly agree with this. Try getting some information about the courses, e.g. from older students. An astronomy 101 course can easily be replaced by reading a book, but more specialized astronomy courses can be quite interesting. Try to find out if the course contains equations :D

There's an incredible number of free astronomy course online. A huge number from Stanford and other unis.

Top Bottom