UI - Improved Military Overview

Infixo

Deity
New version 2.3 as of 14.01 - Compatibility with Vox Populi 1-14
Warning! Due to a change in Lua interafce this version will not work with prior VP releases.

Various improvements to the Military Overview popup. Very useful when managing huge armies :)
- Displays column with units' XP and Level (can be sorted).
- Displays Health Bar if unit is damaged.
- Shows icons for Great People.
- Shows Religion and Religion Spreads for religious units.
- Shows an indicator if a unit is ready for a promotion.
- Shows City Name for garrisoned units.
- Shows Fortification bonus when applicable.
- Camera moves to a selected unit.
- Tooltip showing Unit Type.
- Fix: Trade units show "Trade (Automated)".

Download from CivFanatics
Download from Steam

Works with BNW, EUI and Vox Populi. Doesn't affect saved games.

Credits: @akamal - for Health Bar, promotion indicator and unit selector.

Last edited:
Sure :) That's a nice idea, actually.
There's a small problem to fix however - the game returns as a unit's name its "real" name, as given by the player AND adds unit type in brackets. So, i.e. if you rename a warrior into "Conan Barbarian" the list will show "Conan Barbarian (Warrior)". Seems even nice BUT there's no truncation and longer names simply go beyond the box and it looks ugly. Need to think about some kind of fix for that.

I see, so there is no easy way to get rid of the part in brackets? The game must update the part in the brackets somehow when the unit is upgraded (e.g. from "Conan (Warrior)" to "Conan (Spearman)") There must be a way to reference only the "given name" part, no?

Oh and when I say I name my units, it does not mean I name them "Jack" or "Jill", but rather "I.1.Medic", "I.2.Defender", etc. :-D

I ... ok, I'll say it ... I keep the unit names with promotions in an Excel sheet. It is helpful when I think of the composition and specialization of my armies. Am I weird? :)

If you manage to squeeze in the given names in the unit list somehow, then it will be very helpful to manage units - e.g. when I want to locate my Medic, I could look up and double-click "I.1.Medic" in the list instead of mousing over my units (tue FlagPromotions mod is very helpful in this). That would be a very useful function.

Just tested it, it works great!

One more suggestion for an improvement if not too difficult to implement:
Would it be possible to group the units by type and then sort them alphabetically within the group? Now if you rename a unit it will not be displayed grouped together with other units of the same type.

Something like:
SELECT name, exp, ... FROM table_units ORDER BY (unit_type, name) ASC
(I do not know the column names or how to mod civ, but you know what I mean, right?)

With latest version VP (1-14) the UI - Show XP in Military Overview (v 2.2) yields a blank list regardless of the number of units.
There were changes in Lua, I need to update the mod. Thx for reporting this anyway, and pls be patient :)

oh my God, sorry for the necro, but I've been googling for the past 3 days to find out if there was a way to add unit name into military overview and couldn't find anything, now just accidentally came across this mod without even looking.

thank you! downloading immediately!

Edit: This mod is great, seriously nice job!

Last edited:
Everybody seems to love the unit names in the Military Overview and I agree it is kind of neat., however, it takes away the main function of the overview (at least for me); that is, checking to make sure I have upgraded all my units. There is now no way to easily tell if there is a lone archer out there somewhere that I missed. Sorting by Combat Strength is possible, but kind of a chore to recall or look up what the old unit was.

Edit: The tooltip for unit type is not helpful in this case because you can no longer sort by type, so you have to check through the whole list.

Everybody seems to love the unit names in the Military Overview and I agree it is kind of neat., however, it takes away the main function of the overview (at least for me); that is, checking to make sure I have upgraded all my units. There is now no way to easily tell if there is a lone archer out there somewhere that I missed. Sorting by Combat Strength is possible, but kind of a chore to recall or look up what the old unit was.

Edit: The tooltip for unit type is not helpful in this case because you can no longer sort by type, so you have to check through the whole list.
That's a really good point I didn't even think about that..
Might be worth having it in brackets what they are.

Like:
1st Royal Archers (Musketmen)

Or even a 'Type' menu at the top next to 'Status' where it lists the type in its own column.

In unit list enhancement (I use my personal version with fixed alignment) theres column showing point if the unit is ready for upgrade. Clicking it upgrades the unit.

Whats the point of naming it like 1sr royal archers and then mysketman? I would leave only musketman.

Personally I do not use this mod.

Top Bottom