Sid Meier's Civilization VI announced!

Best news I've heard all year!! They even got the mighty Sean Bean in to do the voiceover for the trailer - win win!!

Hopefully it'll be better than CiV. Multi-tiled cities and what sounds like C3C armies is a nice start. Now show me a meaningful diplomacy and usable UI and I might be hooked.

I love the trailer. It tries to capture the glory of civilization that Civ1 managed to convey and that somehow faded into the background as the game tried to feel more like a boardgame you'd play with some pals over the years. Whether Civ6 itself will convey the same spirit as its publicity frontpiece is of course another matter. I don't particularly like the graphics shown on the screenshots and have no opinion yet on the new mechanics.

Let the hype begin!

I'm so glad they've added more flexibility with regards to units occupying tiles. I also like the art style (and this is coming from someone who took a long time to transition from Civ3 to Civ4 graphics-wise). It'll be interesting to see what it looks like zoomed out.

Ahahahahahahaa!!! They did it! They did it! They're using the map!!!!!

You have no idea how happy this makes me. By linking city development, diplomacy, and even research development to the map, you're solving a slew of issues Civ has had with information display and how active games get. Ohhhh, I am jumpin', I am jumpin'.

I am divided on this. I was pushing for more than that, even before Civ 5. Something like a richer Total War model, where key buildings and infrastructure become really unlinked from the city, and stand by their own on the map. Now THAT would be a new strategic/tactical layer, where you can conduct true economic warfare (and will have to defend against)... we'll see.

I'm happy I was right on the other fronts: Ed Beach leading, and a late October release. Lemon Merchant said "alpha", and even if she is right, it will NEVER be worse than the Shafer fiasco.

Good times!

(IIRC, October 21 1991, I's launch?)

Awesome, Civ Rev 3! Oh, wait, no...

The districts and active research systems sound promising, as well as the unit combinations. It will be good to see how they play out in action. I'm curious as to what will be stripped away as well. It was jarring to play the original Civ 5 and find religion, health, espionage, and corporations absent. Looking forward to seeing some gameplay and diplomacy in action.

You see cartoony, I see a game that will actually load in less than ten minutes.

It sounds logical, but I bet it won't work that way in practice. At least your suggestions look to be getting some fulfillment.

I am not sure if you guys have noticed, but now building on the coast is not necessary in order to have a harbour / water buildings. This will help my OCD a lot where I wouldnt build a city on an obvious good tile cause it is one tile away from the coast

+1

Am I the only one who loves cartoonish graphics? These SS' on OP looks really cool.

As we learned from the past there will be no religion concept present in the game.

Although some great wonders will be built partially submerged in ocean when built in coastal cities.

The graphic style is really not great in my opinion. I'm reading lots of similar comments on other outlets, but I see some in this thread here too.

I don't mind simple graphics that load quickly, but I'm sure there is a way to do that and not have Free-to-play/Warcraft 3 hybrid style.

I´m very disappointed from what I have seen. :( They present the game in the - in my eyes - old ugly style and the graphics are done for little children. Mods can improve the graphics, but not that "brush-like" presentation of the game on the map.

Spoiler :

Today I rode a bike around my town and I happened to wonder if they'll make Civilization VI anytime soon. As soon as I came back home I heard these news. What are the chances? :D

Anyway, I'm excited about the game but I'm not a fan of the graphical style. Looks too much like CivRev.

No hype. No interesting info. All sounds and looks like Diablo III. I want to ask: "What crap are you trying to sell us today Firaxis?".

As we learned from the past there will be no religion concept present in the game.

Although some great wonders will be built partially submerged in ocean when built in coastal cities.

Mountains give faith according to an interview and you can see missionaries in one of the pics. So you are wrong

Platform PC, looks like civ:rev.
It is going to be browser/facebook game.
Good for tablets and such.

"Meaned for all players" also means its dumbed down strategically.

Looks really bad so far... sad day.
1st bad even numbered civ ever?
Did they break the spell?

Darn, just as I was starting to win CIV V games ...

Interesting ideas though, especially the intention to shift more towards requiring us to adapt our strategy to the environment, rather than having cookie-cutter paths to victory. I'll bet it's not going to be an easy task to achieve this, however, but kudos for trying :)

Glad to see Ed Beach on this. He really rescued Civ5 with the expansions. I trust him to lead us to a good game in Civ6.

[to_xp]Gekko;14263552 said:
those screenshots are awfully cartoony, I have a bad feeling about this

edit: ninja'd :D

I'm with you, loved the realistic style of CiV this looks too cartoony. As long as the game play is good, I don't care though.

Top Bottom